Wild fans say hello

Lonkkis

1 minute ago, Icechipper said:

I'm from Up North too, and was able to attend far more games (WHA and NHL) old Winnipeg Arena, always thrilling at their speedy wingers (once sat on an end rail seat and was able to get a high-five from the Golden Jet himself, Bobby Hull, back to receive an honour from the club) than I'd at the old Met Center where the North Stars long shined.

Icechipper - that "Hot Line" that the WHA version of the Winnipeg Jets had (Bobby Hull, Anders Hedberg and Ulf Nilsson) is STILL to this day, the most electrifying line I have seen live...albeit at the St. Paul Civic Center (with the glass boards) not in the Peg.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Antti_Laxative said:

Icechipper - that "Hot Line" that the WHA version of the Winnipeg Jets had (Bobby Hull, Anders Hedberg and Ulf Nilsson) is STILL to this day, the most electrifying line I have seen live...albeit at the St. Paul Civic Center (with the glass boards) not in the Peg.

Those were the days alright. Those poor goalies in their leather gear facing Hull's slapshot.

As much as I loved the WHA, it was a major deal for Winnipeg to join the NHL.

The only bad thing for the Jets then was that there were so many fans of the "original" six teams.

You couldn't tell who was the home team when Montreal or Toronto came to town. Montreal especially

had hard core fans with the large French-Canadian population in and around Winnipeg.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great Story on former Fighting Saint Goldie Goldthorpe here.  He didn't get the part in the movie "Slapshot" because he broke a bottle over Paul Newman's brother's noggin 😂

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-sports/shot-and-also-jailed-18-times-goldie-goldthorpe-was-a-true-hockey-character-405276?fbclid=IwAR3g7IOf46CXJJrGv-bf9-uVgyxrNTQnsEG_x5ZlpD9iwHI_zpRce7g1yjQ

goldie.jpg

Edited by Antti_Laxative
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Antti_Laxative said:

Great Story on former Fighting Saint Goldie Goldthorpe here.  He didn't get the part in the movie "Slapshot" because he broke a bottle over Paul Newman's brother's noggin 😂

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-sports/shot-and-also-jailed-18-times-goldie-goldthorpe-was-a-true-hockey-character-405276?fbclid=IwAR3g7IOf46CXJJrGv-bf9-uVgyxrNTQnsEG_x5ZlpD9iwHI_zpRce7g1yjQ

goldie.jpg

Did you ever hear Bob Costas' anecdote about Goldie Goldthorpe?  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Did you ever hear Bob Costas' anecdote about Goldie Goldthorpe?  

Yup - good stuff.  I remember that - and I also remember thinking that it was a good thing the game was outdoors that day in Buffalo - because between he and the Milbury Dough-Boy, - those two egos wouldn't fit in an NHL arena

• Haha 2

On 10/15/2018 at 8:35 PM, Oregonwildfan said:

Hello all, 

New to this board, and the old one to be honest. I made an account towards the end of last year and now i see its been moved to this new sight. Got my center ice pack back and can now watch from the west coast,  salem Oregon. Im a transplant from coon rapids MN. Love Minnesota hockey. Wish everyone well and i enjoy reading everyones comments. Like therapy for me haha 

Welcome aboard.

Some great folks here to conversate with enjoy your stay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

former member, reformed, medallion clenched in my sweaty palm. Losing.... sky falling... Mikko old, slow...still...  Coyle, bust... Stall, trade bait... Nino, nowhere... Parise...who? But at least the Suter interviews are gripping. What did they expect putting Mickey Rooney on the bench. FIRE HIM!

Just kidding, I don't care, but man, anybody been watching WJC? love it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, Fighting_Saint said:

Hello!   The Fighting Saint is Back on MB!   ohh I miss the old boards but it feels good to be back with you all again!   Drop by and say hello if you remember me!  THANKS EVERYONE!  GO WILD!

Happy to say Hello First!  Welcome to the site.  Feel free to join in conversations throughout the website and make some new friends too.

:welcome:

3 hours ago, hf101 said:

Happy to say Hello First!  Welcome to the site.  Feel free to join in conversations throughout the website and make some new friends too. 

:welcome:

Thanks HF101.   glad to be on a board again.  See some old names I remember from before.  good hockey knowledgeable people on here!

5 hours ago, Fighting_Saint said:

Yep,  I last posted on the ole boards years ago.  Ohh probably back in 2008 or later...   same username.

Welcome aboard from the resident WHA nostalgia fan. Cool moniker! 

20 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Welcome aboard from the resident WHA nostalgia fan. Cool moniker! 

Wait...what?  I was a n STH'er for BOTH iterations of the Fighting Saints (one corner, row 1 knees in full view of deflected slappers coming right at the glass boards)  and one who is steeped in the history of the rebel league...for the record

Owner of 7 WHA sweaters

:)

5 hours ago, Antti_Laxative said:

Wait...what?  I was a n STH'er for BOTH iterations of the Fighting Saints (one corner, row 1 knees in full view of deflected slappers coming right at the glass boards)  and one who is steeped in the history of the rebel league...for the record

Owner of 7 WHA sweaters

:)

Is that your way of calling yourself... old?

🤔😉

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Lonkkis said:

Is that your way of calling yourself... old?

🤔😉

Sure - I care not. But to say you are THE "resident WHA nostalgia fan" is pretty cheeky :)

And I will put my physical fitness up against anyone in here :)

Edited by Antti_Laxative

4 minutes ago, Antti_Laxative said:

Sure - I care not.  But to say you are THE "resident WHA nostalgia fan" is pretty cheeky :)

And I will put my fitness up against anyone in here :)

Oh I'm sure you will. I'm a fat, lazy bastard and ain't afraid to admit it, so I'll pass. 😂

• Thanks 1