Are the Minnesota Wild still a contender, or just a pretender with a big dose of denial?

No article to post with this, but I think this is really biggest question facing this organization.  Is this club a contender to battle for the Stanley Cup or just highly paid pretender that is in denial over the fact its window of opportunity has closed?  What is your perception from other Wild fans you know in regards to this question?  This might be a great discussion topic if we ever wanted to have a fan discussion one night on Google Hangout or something like that.  Or the chat room here.  

What do you like about this team?

What don't you like about this team?  

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they are just a pretender with a big dose of denial. Nothing has changed the last 6 seasons and I see things getting worse. Those 3 contracts od Suter, Parise, and Koivu are killing this team. We have been waiting for Nino, Chahlie, and to some point Granny to make that next step. It isn't happening. Dumba great on offense but still makes the same bonehead mistakes in the defensive zone with errant turnovers. Erickson-Ek came on a bit halfway through the season but still has a long ways to go. He is only 20 I believe. I'm to the point they should just tank for 3-4 years and start over. The farm club is depleted too. Unless these guys we have been waiting on all of a sudden strike gold this team will continue to be average at best.

1 minute ago, Jimtown guy said:

I think they are just a pretender with a big dose of denial. Nothing has changed the last 6 seasons and I see things getting worse. Those 3 contracts od Suter, Parise, and Koivu are killing this team. We have been waiting for Nino, Chahlie, and to some point Granny to make that next step. It isn't happening. Dumba great on offense but still makes the same bonehead mistakes in the defensive zone with errant turnovers. Erickson-Ek came on a bit halfway through the season but still has a long ways to go. He is only 20 I believe. I'm to the point they should just tank for 3-4 years and start over. The farm club is depleted too. Unless these guys we have been waiting on all of a sudden strike gold this team will continue to be average at best.

I don't disagree with any of this, which is sad...because if the team was doing what it should do, this wouldn't be the case.  Eriksson Ek had a decent season IMO besides scoring.  Considering the role; I thought he did well and was considerably more physical than I expected him to be.  I'm pretty pleased with what he brings.  I even like that he takes his chances to shoot.  I think in a different role he could show more offense.  Kunin...not all that high on though.  What this club needs is Kaprizov, we have to wait...but he's the kind of energetic, scorer this team sorely needs.  A guy who isn't afraid to go into the high traffic areas.  That is exactly what had this team bounced again, beyond Greenway and Parise before the broken sternum the team was allergic to the area in and around the Jets' crease.  

3 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I don't disagree with any of this, which is sad...because if the team was doing what it should do, this wouldn't be the case.  Eriksson Ek had a decent season IMO besides scoring.  Considering the role; I thought he did well and was considerably more physical than I expected him to be.  I'm pretty pleased with what he brings.  I even like that he takes his chances to shoot.  I think in a different role he could show more offense.  Kunin...not all that high on though.  What this club needs is Kaprizov, we have to wait...but he's the kind of energetic, scorer this team sorely needs.  A guy who isn't afraid to go into the high traffic areas.  That is exactly what had this team bounced again, beyond Greenway and Parise before the broken sternum the team was allergic to the area in and around the Jets' crease.  

I forgot. This team does lack toughness. How many times did you see players stick up for a teammate who either got cheapshotted or roughed up in front of the net? Damn near count it on one hand.

I forgot. This team does lack toughness. How many times did you see players stick up for a teammate who either got cheapshotted or roughed up in front of the net? Damn near count it on one hand.

No question...even the overpaid rugged guy Marcus Foligno never had the cajones to challenge Byfuglien the way Ryan Reaves did.  Just sort of watched it happen.  Not sure what is so rugged about that.  

2 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

No question...even the overpaid rugged guy Marcus Foligno never had the cajones to challenge Byfuglien the way Ryan Reaves did.  Just sort of watched it happen.  Not sure what is so rugged about that.  

I do have to give credit to Seeler though. That guy has a set

I do have to give credit to Seeler though. That guy has a set

He plays tough.  Doesn't complain and gives it everything he has.  He did the same in Iowa too, which is really why he got the call up and to be honest...its kind of what ruined Iowa's decent season.  When he got called up, the team lost its heart and soul...and the losses mounted (albeit during the toughest part of their schedule) and they failed to make it.  But no one on this team really steps up when its meaningful though.  It doesn't have to be a fight, but you don't wait until the last minute to go after a guy to defend yourself in a game that you're going to lose...and expect that to even the score or let your opponent you won't back down.  

agreed we are just a pretender and I don't see that changing with the puppetmaster that is Craig Leipold. I mean he's made it very clear in his search for a new GM that his wishes need to be abided by so if that's the case wouldn't it be much easier or at least cheaper to assert himself as the GM. I mean the Timberwolves are kind of doing that with Tom Thibideou who is the coach but also is a part of the front office or whatever.

I've been joking (partially) on Twitter that they should name Ryan Suter the GM, because we know he basically gets to do whatever he wants and gets what he wants...with just one 'discussion' with the owner, every single time.  

4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Besides Kaprizov,  I will add Sokolov too, who is probably , going to be a clone of Ovechkin in the future, especially for powerplays. Of course, time will show how he will be able to fit into our team. Hope, he will prove that this season with at least 25-30 goals. We badly need high snipers - scorers, which we have a huge lack for the entire 18 years of our existence.

Transplant from now defunct site.  Lost the area code, such to not incite any locality bias. 

Clearly, the best path for the Wild is to play the young players at all costs.  The past 6 years have dictated this course.  Trade what you can to rebuild. Accumulate as many draft picks as you can, and target young players on other teams that are blocked out from significant icetime (though Vegas likely scraped a lot of potential up).  Diminish the playing time of 20, 9, 40,and 11 starting immediately at training camp.  Buyout Ennis, and be VERY aggressive in seeing what you have with Sokolov, Lodnia, and others.  Accumulate Cap $ to acquire Kaprisov when his contract expires and SIGN HIM - even with the lockout looming then.  Flush the current scouts that are not cutting it as soon as you have a new GM post performance assessment.    I am hopeful that CL struggles to find a capable GM with the ‘minor tweaks’ edict, and is forced to ingest a learned assessment from a new GM that provides insightful clarity on the current ‘State of the Wild’ and their playoff advancement prospects.  I would scout the heck out of this years draft and accept no whiffs in any round.   New blood and voices are needed with scouting - promotion will be based on performance, starting with this years offseason and draft.  

Lastly, I would strip the C and As right before training camp.  They need to be earned going forward.  New GM must change culture and expectations in declaring no interest in the opinions of 9, 20, and 11 going forward, and fine them for ‘conduct detrimental’ for any opinionative insubordination.  Major ‘rebuilds’ work this way across the business world, and make no mistake theWild is a business for CL - no reason to treat this ‘project’ any differently.  

The above would be a start.....

2 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Besides Kaprizov,  I will add Sokolov too, who is probably , going to be a clone of Ovechkin in the future, especially for powerplays. Of course, time will show how he will be able to fit into our team. Hope, he will prove that this season with at least 25-30 goals. We badly need high snipers - scorers, which we have a huge lack for the entire 18 years of our existence.

(shrugs)  Not so sure about Sokolov.  We'll be fortunate if he has NHL upside.  He can finish, no question...so can Pulkkinen, but there were reasons he didn't stick in the NHL.  

IMO, the Wild can still contend....however, I see their window closing quickly as Parise and Suter, the big, big signings that were supposed to put them over the top, continue to age.

Not saying those two are "washed up" mind you, but let's face it: Age does NO players favors and Minnesota's best chances at a Cup came at a time when the damned Chicago Blackhawks stood in their way....three times!

Of course, this doesn't mean that the Wild can't come up with some good young players to continue fueling this team, but so long as Parise and Suter occupy a roster spot (and more importantly, CAP SPACE), the Wild still have to consider those guys key cogs and must try to win with them on board, and with whomever else can step up and not just play regular season and playoff hockey, but CHAMPIONSHIP hockey.

And right now, that is a tough task.

So yea, will still say 'contender'...but man, maybe not for very long if they continue to move backwards as it seems they have been the last two seasons or so.

@EmptyShelf

Welcome to our humble home.  Glad you were able to navigate the huge galaxy known as the internet to find us.  As I have been telling all your friends,.. Welcome!  We have a great hockey community here and we are glad you can be a part of it.   If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask @hf101 (site manager), my self (manager), or any other Mod . 

We also have many blogs, in-game chat, Mock Drafts and our own Fantasy Hockey League. 

Again welcome to HF.net!

best,

pilldoc

Manager

HF.net Fantasy Hockey League Manager

The ‘core’ are going to be 34-35 next year.  Going forward, they are only MAYBE complementary parts.  6 years or more of proof that they are NOT the core that can bring playoff advancement.  Their icetime needs to be decreased.  Their C and As need to be pulled, and their egos must be managed with a meeting post GM signing and before training camp.  We go young with the Top 6 and To 2 in back.  New goalie needs to play 50%.  We then assess after the year.  At this point, we can consider a buyout of Koivu, which will be welmoe.  He should not be above line 3 and NEVER on a power play.  I think 20 and 11shealth (or lack thereof) will be an eye-opener next year to prove a full rebuild is in order (even to CL).  

I'm just glad Fletcher is out.  I'm not a fan of Uncle Fester either, as he hasn't won anywhere with any team and likely never will.  Sandelin would be my choice for the Wild's next head coach.

And what was management thinking when they decided to lose two good players over just one?  Tuch should have never, ever, ever been handed to the Knights.   :rage:.

4 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I'm just glad Fletcher is out.  I'm not a fan of Uncle Fester either, as he hasn't won anywhere with any team and likely never will.  Sandelin would be my choice for the Wild's next head coach.

And what was management thinking when they decided to lose two good players over just one?  Tuch should have never, ever, ever been handed to the Knights.   :rage:.

agreed when I heard we were giving up Tuch I was like wait really granted at the time felt it was acceptable to a degree. But who knows if Tuch or Haula would have produced here as they probably wouldn't have been given that opportunity here unlike Vegas who has put them on a 2nd line with where here they'd be 3rd or 4th liners at best.

12 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

IMO, the Wild can still contend....however, I see their window closing quickly as Parise and Suter, the big, big signings that were supposed to put them over the top, continue to age.

Not saying those two are "washed up" mind you, but let's face it: Age does NO players favors and Minnesota's best chances at a Cup came at a time when the damned Chicago Blackhawks stood in their way....three times!

Of course, this doesn't mean that the Wild can't come up with some good young players to continue fueling this team, but so long as Parise and Suter occupy a roster spot (and more importantly, CAP SPACE), the Wild still have to consider those guys key cogs and must try to win with them on board, and with whomever else can step up and not just play regular season and playoff hockey, but CHAMPIONSHIP hockey.

And right now, that is a tough task.

So yea, will still say 'contender'...but man, maybe not for very long if they continue to move backwards as it seems they have been the last two seasons or so.

I think that 'window' closed a few years ago, if it wasn't really ever open to begin with.  I think this organization has been pretending for a while...3 consecutive 1st round exits confirm that.  

5 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Are you talking about Boudreau?  Boudreau isn't the problem.  Boudreau has won everywhere...just not the Stanley Cup, but at virtually every other level.  He's better than Yeo.  

2 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Are you talking about Boudreau?  Boudreau isn't the problem.  Boudreau has won everywhere

Yeah,  Uncle Fester...  What did he win with the Caps, Ducks...?  I'm just not of fan of the guy.

Archived