Hopes for the new season

Puck_Pun

Well, it wasn't a good season. So here's a few things that, in an ideal world, I hope will happen in Ottawa to see a slightly less crap season for 18-19. Presented in no particular order.

1. Eugene Melnyk Stops Talking to the Media.

He has no capacity for handling the media in ways that don't end up with more headaches. From what I gather his town hall meetings went quite well, as when he has the opportunity to give long form answers to questions he can actually communicate well. He just is incapable of giving answers that won't end up being interpreted as a one sentence piece of outrage. Just let your coach and GM do the media thing, they're better at it- especially Boucher.

2. Assign a CEO

Related to the above, Melnyk needs to appoint a CEO to run the team, and I understand he does intend to do so. He should let people who know what they're doing run his business for him.

3. Resign Karlsson

I'm willing to bet we'll learn just how terrible attendance can be if this is screwed up. He's the franchise player, and he needs to be treated as one.

4. Do Something About the Goaltending

The pair of Anderson and Condon did quite well in 16-17 and while some of their problems can be attributed to wobbly defence, they gave up some absurd goals- most notably Anderson's habit of going walkabout. Anderson still has one more year on his contract and honestly I hope they don't renew it.

5. Put Boucher on Notice

Boucher is on the last year of his contract, and honestly it would take a lot to push him out of the team at this point considering Melnyk's cheapness and the team not wanting to repeat history. I don't think firing him would fix things that much, but he does need to adapt in order to get better success. Rather than wishing he had players that can execute his system perfectly, some adaptation needs to happen- the last ten or so games were definitely "non-system" games and they were quite good, all things considered. The way he recognised the correct way to use Duchene (it took him a long time, but he got there) is a good example of this. That said, this is the time for him to prove that he has what it takes to be a coach at NHL level, and unless there's something he can point to to save his job... eh, I won't mourn him being let go.

6. Get More Scouts

Won't happen, but I can dream.

14 hours ago, Puck_Pun said:

3. Resign Karlsson

I'm willing to bet we'll learn just how terrible attendance can be if this is screwed up. He's the franchise player, and he needs to be treated as one.

But does Karlsson really want to resign in Ottawa -- that's the question?  If he doesn't plan a return for the 2019 season does Ceci become the #1 d-man?

Ottawa also needs to get rid of the deadweights,  Burrows, Gaborik, MacArthur and Ryan.

Fortunately, there will be some new talent on the roster to look forward to this season with the likes of Logan Brown, Colin White and Christian Jaros.

13 hours ago, hf101 said:

But does Karlsson really want to resign in Ottawa -- that's the question?  If he doesn't plan a return for the 2019 season does Ceci become the #1 d-man?

All indications is that he does want to stay- though he's gone on record to say he won't give them a home town discount. And I'd say that's a reasonable point to make.

If Ceci becomes the team's #1 D-man Ottawa is ****ed. He should have been exposed instead of Methot, Ceci is just too unreliable. He was great in December and January, but the months prior to that he plain sucked. Personally I'd rather Chabot take that place.

13 hours ago, hf101 said:

Ottawa also needs to get rid of the deadweights,  Burrows, Gaborik, MacArthur and Ryan.

Fortunately, there will be some new talent on the roster to look forward to this season with the likes of Logan Brown, Colin White and Christian Jaros.

Agreed on both accounts. Plus I'd argue Stone should be on the 'must keep on the team' list as well. The guy can play well regardless of how sucky the rest of the team is doing.

Archived