Wild Name Paul Fenton as General Manager

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can he make an assessment of the Wild with enough credibility to compel CL to go ‘all in’ on a tear down (and call it a few necessary tweaks)?  This is the most important question, I think.   

11 minutes ago, EmptyShelf said:

Can he make an assessment of the Wild with enough credibility to compel CL to go ‘all in’ on a tear down (and call it a few necessary tweaks)?  This is the most important question, I think.   

Tough to say, but I hope this means an overhaul of the scouting staff and how we develop players.  

agreed our scouting and player assessment has been pretty horrible these last 18 years and then when we somehow wind up with a good one he isn't allowed to come over here and or is being held hostage by the Russians or some BS.

11 minutes ago, EmptyShelf said:

LIG/CnA - How involved was Fenton in the construction of the Preds (in your opinion)?

Played a big role in the drafting and development of their prospects as well as contracts.  He had been talked about in the last few GM openings around the league the last 4-5 years.  

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Played a big role in the drafting and development of their prospects as well as contracts.  He had been talked about in the last few GM openings around the league the last 4-5 years.  

Interestingly enough, Nashville has no players with NMC/NTC's...

On topic though, hopefully this new Fenton dude is a bit more daring than Fletcher, yet not daringly STUPID like, say, oh, I dunno, a Brian Burke in Toronto was.... I.E., handing out stupidly expensive and long contracts to marginal players on a regular basis.

I mean, a championship GMs gotta know when to back the money truck up, and when to just say, "you know, what? That's just too much, good luck in your future endeavors"

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

Interestingly enough, Nashville has no players with NMC/NTC's...

With Seatle on it's way to being another new NHL franchise, I think GM's are thinking twice about giving NMC / NTC clauses out like a bag of candy these days. I'd like to see contract length at 6 years max too.

I am hoping CL saying "just a few tweaks here and there" was to save face for the dumb fans and what he really wanted to say was we our going to find a way to rebuild this house.

2 hours ago, WileyOz44 said:

I am hoping CL saying "just a few tweaks here and there" was to save face for the dumb fans and what he really wanted to say was we our going to find a way to rebuild this house.

If CL thinks this roster is only a few tweaks away from a Stanley Cup, he's dumber than a sack of hammers...

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

If CL thinks this roster is only a few tweaks away from a Stanley Cup, he's dumber than a sack of hammers...

Oi! That's insulting to the hammers!

5 minutes ago, Davey J said:

Craig Leipold has his new Yes-man...  It's gonna be a whole lot more of the same old sh!t!

Most likely, because while the chances of Fenton being allowed to do stuff his way is higher than Fletchers, I don't see much changing.

But then again, I'm a "hope for the best, expect the worst" kind of guy, so I'm problably seeing a little light at the end of then tunnel.

Without knowing everything about the "style" of Paul Fenton (nor how much he will be allowed to do on his own with Leopold still owner), I looked over his resume with the Predators and something jumped out at me which leaves me wondering just what kind of relationship he will have with Bruce Boudreau:

Paul Fenton has been with the Preds for a long time...and before Nashville "opened things up" with regards to on-ice style, they were a primarily 'defense first' type team and could always be counted on to draft, develop, and bring in a seemingly endless line of defensemen (guys like Suter and Weber personify this)…...and had a coach for a long time in Barry Trotz, that would help foster that at the NHL level once those defensemen got there.

Of course, this often came at a cost of good offense up front, as Nashville, on their best years, would often win many low scoring games, relying on just enough offense, with shut down D and a goalie to match.

Now here is where I think it could get interesting:

Bruce Boudreau, based on his past teams and track record, is more of a 'offense first' type coach.

A man who prefers his forwards to be big and fast, hit hard, hit often, and pile on the goals (like his past Anaheim and Capitals teams did), but many times, at the cost of good defensive coverage.

Anyone see where I am going with this?

If Fenton sticks to the way he learned to do things in Nashville (again, assuming Leopold will let the GM be the GM), I wonder how that will clash with Bruce Broudrea and his style of coaching....seems to me the GM and the coach prefer a different kind of player and style on the ice.

I always said that for Boudreau to fit in right in Minnesota (I feel to this point he and the team still haven't quite gelled), there may be an overhaul in not only personnel buy play style and drafting style that needed to come.

Minnesota DID do better on the offensive side of things....and yes, I felt they weren't as good many times on defense as they had been in the past.....but they still feel like a 'tweener' team to me.

Not quite powerful enough on offense to fully rely on it.....yet not quite as stout on defense to be able to say, "Hey, they can just score a goal or two, then lock things down"

So something's gotta give.

Either Fenton will adjust to Boudreau and make the changes necessary on the roster (and in the pipeline) to better suit the offensive minded coach..... or Boudreau will have to change his philosophy a bit and realize his teams NEED to play a more defensive game because those are the types of players Fenton will be drafting and developing.

Of course, option 3 is the GM does things his way....and the Wild find a new coach that will do things his way as well.

Just something I think us fans should keep an eye on.

• hf101 changed the title to Wild Name Paul Fenton as General Manager... updated
12 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Without knowing everything about the "style" of Paul Fenton (nor how much he will be allowed to do on his own with Leopold still owner), I looked over his resume with the Predators and something jumped out at me which leaves me wondering just what kind of relationship he will have with Bruce Boudreau:

Paul Fenton has been with the Preds for a long time...and before Nashville "opened things up" with regards to on-ice style, they were a primarily 'defense first' type team and could always be counted on to draft, develop, and bring in a seemingly endless line of defensemen (guys like Suter and Weber personify this)…...and had a coach for a long time in Barry Trotz, that would help foster that at the NHL level once those defensemen got there.

Of course, this often came at a cost of good offense up front, as Nashville, on their best years, would often win many low scoring games, relying on just enough offense, with shut down D and a goalie to match.

Bruce Boudreau, based on his past teams and track record, is more of a 'offense first' type coach.

A man who prefers his forwards to be big and fast, hit hard, hit often, and pile on the goals (like his past Anaheim and Capitals teams did), but many times, at the cost of good defensive coverage.

If Fenton sticks to the way he learned to do things in Nashville (again, assuming Leopold will let the GM be the GM), I wonder how that will clash with Bruce Broudrea and his style of coaching....seems to me the GM and the coach prefer a different kind of player and style on the ice.

I always said that for Boudreau to fit in right in Minnesota (I feel to this point he and the team still haven't quite gelled), there may be an overhaul in not only personnel buy play style and drafting style that needed to come.

Minnesota DID do better on the offensive side of things....and yes, I felt they weren't as good many times on defense as they had been in the past.....but they still feel like a 'tweener' team to me.

Not quite powerful enough on offense to fully rely on it.....yet not quite as stout on defense to be able to say, "Hey, they can just score a goal or two, then lock things down"

Either Fenton will adjust to Boudreau and make the changes necessary on the roster (and in the pipeline) to better suit the offensive minded coach..... or Boudreau will have to change his philosophy a bit and realize his teams NEED to play a more defensive game because those are the types of players Fenton will be drafting and developing.

Of course, option 3 is the GM does things his way....and the Wild find a new coach that will do things his way as well.

That's a fair point. But I don't think Boudreau is going to stick around much longer than to the end of his contract, considering his health has been what it is for a few years now.

So they might not clash that much.

Though Suter and Koivu might just love Fenton, since one was schooled by Lemaire and the other is who he is.

29 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Much of that seems fairly true but the Wild did evolve from the Lemaire days. Early on they were a defense first type team and upon Leipold buying the team there was a scorching article written about how 'plain' and 'boring' the Wild were... It created a lot of friction.

Shortly thereafter the team was destined to revitalize itself as a more offensive minded team. In comes Chuck Fletcher and he brought in Todd Richards. The offense was juiced up a bit but then with offensive minded players not helping out as much on defense it left Backstrom's glaring 5-hole, glaring more. That kind of evolved into Yeo's stint here too to a degree but suddenly everyone in the front office and in the news started yapping about two-way players (and I don't mean contracts.) During that time it seemed they would acquire any kind of old-junk offensive minded d-men while attempting to reel in defensive minded O-men. ((((nerve wracking))))

As far as I'm concerned much of the Wild's style is based on reacting to how other teams play and then defending it. They want to score more goals, no doubt about that. Extending Yeo-Bobble's contract for 3 more years was a big indication to continue with a more offensive minded team... And not adding another decent (solid) 2nd line d-man during Yeo's last 2 years here and now during Bruce's stint... Still indicates Craig wanted 'more exciting hockey' to continue. For 4 years now they've been rotating a 5, 6 & number 7 d-men into their 4th d-man spot.

Now though with Fenton? He did help wheel and deal Suter and then Webber... And then pull in Subban. Nashville has good offense and they have good defense. Nashville fans are still peeved at Suter for leaving, he still gets booed when playing there, and who would have thought getting ride of both Suter and Webber not too far apart from each other; actually would have paid off?

I don't know though, this whole thing ought to be interesting.

Archived