Regarding the Vegas Knights and Former Flyers

King Knut

While I'm happy for the likes of PEB and especially Luca Sbisa (who folks here may know I've been grump about for almost a decade).  

And as impressive as what the knights have achieved in their first year is...

I gotta say, what I'm seeing from them doesn't feel like a good team dominating and just being good.  It looks a lot more like a fairly unskilled team that is simply very good at killing penalties (and not getting called for them to begin with).

The Knights must be a very annoying team to play against.  On the good side, they're speedy and tenacious.  On the annoying side, they get away with A LOT of hooking and clutch and grab pestering that other teams (certainly not limited to the Orange and Black) would NEVER get away with.

But part of the reason I think this happens is because they actually DO get called for a lot.  They spend a lot of time in the box and on the PK. 

Some might say that it's a conspiracy to help them get the cup in their first year and build the fan base, and maybe that's true, but I feel like a far more likely scenario is that when you've just called three penalties on a team, you're less inclined to call the fourth because it 'feels' like you're picking on them even if it really is just them persisting in not obeying the rules.  

These aren't necessarily violent infractings, so no "reputation" builds immediately.  

On the flip side, Vegas doesn't have as much to fear even if they do spend a lot of time in the box because their PK (mostly because of their speed and tenacity) has been excellent (especially in the playoffs)

How's this relate to the Flyers?

FIX THE G.D. PENALTY KILL!  AND YOU CAN DO IT WITH SPEED (AKA NOT JORI LEHTERA)

29 minutes ago, King Knut said:

FIX THE G.D. PENALTY KILL!

Sam Morin healthy can help do that.

But as i said he needs to get healthy first and foremost.

Plus hopefully Sam can bump Radko off the PK.

Another guy who can help a lot in that area too Vecchione and Aube Kubel.

No matter what personnel needs to change and as you stated the sloth Lehterable needs to go...you don't see a Lehterable on the Vegas roster those guys all can skate and play a 200 foot game.

I don't think Radko or Mcdud make the Vegas roster. So more dead weight must be removed.

27 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No matter what personnel needs to change and as you stated the sloth Lehterable needs to go...you don't see a Lehterable on the Vegas roster those guys all can skate and play a 200 foot game.

I don't think Radko or Mcdud make the Vegas roster. So more dead weight must be removed.

I agree with all of that except McDonald.  In spite of everything Else, MacDonald was actually quite good for the Flyers down the stretch and in the playoffs.  Especially when paired with Sanheim.  I don't think he's going anywhere.

I agree on Morin and that's why i'm so depressed and believe that the last thing they should let him do is rush back to make the roster by camp.  He needs to be considered on the team (because it's either that or waivers as I understand it) and on his own healthy timeline.  Clearly his timeline needs to be handled and monitored by someone who is NOT samuel Morin.  

The thing the Flyers PK lacks most is speed.  They're not bad at breaking up passes and creating loose pucks, but for the life of them, they can't clear because they flat out get beat to every loose puck they manage to generate.  

Lehtera, Manning, Gudas... these guys should be considered off the PK forever (especially Manning who isn't going to be a Flyer next year unless something tragic happens).

I'm all on board for Veccione and I just don't know enough about NAK... how's his speed?  Do we think he can control the rough stuff and not end up in Gudas persona non grata country with the refs?

Complicating the D and hence the PK situation is the fact that I think it's going to be very very difficult to deny Phil Myers a role on the Flyers next year.  Between that and the Waiver exemptionless status of Morin, we may see Gudas waived or traded for very little.  They could carry him as an 8th Dman, but I don't trust Hakstol not to use him. Hak has a god awful track record of playing the much much worse veteran over the guy who could actually get better with some minutes and costing the team valuable points and playoff wins as a result.

7 minutes ago, swflyers28 said:

He is out for the next 6 months.

You read ACL someplace?

I thought they were keeping tight lipped?

This will let Myers establish himself and remove the need to exile Gudas completely.  I just hope Hakstol can be trusted to NOT play Radko every night.  Myers looks like he will be in the position Morin was last year-needing NHL minutes to get better as a player. 

38 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The way i see it Morin is still going to be fighting for a spot on the Flyers.   Would not be shocked if he were traded or serves as the 7th dman next year.   I think Myers has passed Sam on the "next up" list when it comes to the d prospects and I don't see Hextall trading away 2 current roster players on the defensive side.   

Flyers won't lose him to waivers but I really don't see Sam making a big impact on the club next year.   He has been constantly hurt (was in Jrs I believe to) and will have a tough recovery this offseason.   I have said it before but Sam might get his shot with another team.   

10 minutes ago, King Knut said:

In spite of everything Else, MacDonald was actually quite good for the Flyers down the stretch and in the playoffs

That isn't what i'm saying he couldn't ump anyone out of their starting 6 on their blueline.

12 minutes ago, King Knut said:

The thing the Flyers PK lacks most is speed. 

They don't have anyone who can clear the porch either though as well as some speed.

Other teams forwards have free will to see up and block the Flyers goalie anytime they won't with zero repercussion.

14 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'm all on board for Veccione and I just don't know enough about NAK... how's his speed? 

He has good speed and skill and was the best forward 5 on 5 in the AHL last year.

The one thing he needs to do is tone down the cheap shots or he will be in Hak's doghouse real quick.

13 minutes ago, King Knut said:

You read ACL someplace?

I thought they were keeping tight lipped?

This will let Myers establish himself and remove the need to exile Gudas completely.  I just hope Hakstol can be trusted to NOT play Radko every night.  Myers looks like he will be in the position Morin was last year-needing NHL minutes to get better as a player. 

I for one haven't seen anything on his injury or even how long he will be out.

Tight lipped about from what i know.

Oh sorry for the multiple post i could have put all this in one response i guess.

10 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

The way i see it Morin is still going to be fighting for a spot on the Flyers.   Would not be shocked if he were traded or serves as the 7th dman next year.   I think Myers has passed Sam on the "next up" list when it comes to the d prospects and I don't see Hextall trading away 2 current roster players on the defensive side.   

Not so sure about that. They are two different type Dmen for one. And Morin will no less be the 7th guy because he has to pass through waivers when healthy. However no one else on their team or even in their farm system brings what Sam does.

Myers is still waivers exempt and in the 1st year of his entry level deal. Plus he is the one i'm concerned with an "injury history".

He does bring some offense and nice skating ability for a 6-5 guy. He still has some stuff to work on like play away from the puck from Gordon's comments yet he is continuing to grow and develop.

Unless he is part of a huge trade i can not see the Flyers giving up on Sam when they are so close to reaping the benefits of the time spent developing him. 6-7 Dmen with his skating ability just don't grow on trees.

Yet this is just my opinion on it/him.

15 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

He has been constantly hurt (was in Jrs I believe to) and will have a tough recovery this offseason.   I have said it before but Sam might get his shot with another team

No he was not. before this year the last two years of the AHL he only missed two games and he was suspended for those.

Kid has be pretty healthy for as physical as he plays.

The only time he missed in junior was a broken jaw can't fault him for that.

Not worried about Morin at all. He's probably going to come back even better after the surgery. On top of it, he's going to get an opportunity to add some much needed weight to his frame. 6'7, 229 pounds is simply too light. If he were in the 235 to 240 range, that's ideal for Sam and his frame.

He'll go on LTIR to start the season, he'll get his clearance to play, he'll do a 2 week rehab assignment in Lehigh Valley, he'll get called up and be the 7th defenseman for about a month or two so he can get his game back and when he does, he starts out on the bottom pairing and works his way back into a role. 

ACL surgeries simply aren't the same that they used to be. Initially, it was a rather bad surgery that involved a near foot long scar (six inches above and below the knee), but arthroscopic surgery has changed all of that. It's four tiny drill holes in the side of the knee, they re-attach or completely replace the ACL (either using surgical rubber or an ACL from a cadaver) and it's just the healing time that needs to be waited on. What used to be a 9 month to a year long recovery time is now four to six months, depending on a variety of factors. So while Morin might be given a 6 month wait time, he could be back in as little as four now. Don't forget that a lot of athletes are using the blood platelet injections to help speed up recovery times as well, which also speeds up healing. 

40 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

They don't have anyone who can clear the porch either though as well as some speed.

Other teams forwards have free will to see up and block the Flyers goalie anytime they won't with zero repercussion.

While I agree, from what things looked like, not clearing the porch looked like a tactical choice for some reason, not as if someone was trying and failing.

Not saying I agree with it, and I'm in full agreement that Morin could be very good at this (though I'm not sure if he'd be better suited at shutting down passing lanes with that reach and his feet).  Not saying I feel strongly either way other than they need him ut there.  

21 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Not worried about Morin at all. He's probably going to come back even better after the surgery. On top of it, he's going to get an opportunity to add some much needed weight to his frame. 6'7, 229 pounds is simply too light. If he were in the 235 to 240 range, that's ideal for Sam and his frame.

He'll go on LTIR to start the season, he'll get his clearance to play, he'll do a 2 week rehab assignment in Lehigh Valley, he'll get called up and be the 7th defenseman for about a month or two so he can get his game back and when he does, he starts out on the bottom pairing and works his way back into a role. 

ACL surgeries simply aren't the same that they used to be. Initially, it was a rather bad surgery that involved a near foot long scar (six inches above and below the knee), but arthroscopic surgery has changed all of that. It's four tiny drill holes in the side of the knee, they re-attach or completely replace the ACL (either using surgical rubber or an ACL from a cadaver) and it's just the healing time that needs to be waited on. What used to be a 9 month to a year long recovery time is now four to six months, depending on a variety of factors. So while Morin might be given a 6 month wait time, he could be back in as little as four now. Don't forget that a lot of athletes are using the blood platelet injections to help speed up recovery times as well, which also speeds up healing. 

Yes i still haven't seen where it is an ACL or no one has provided proof that is what it is.

However it depends on how bad it is.

And weather they use the method were they remove a tendon say from the hamstring (which is what had done) use a cadaver tendon.

Or use the new method called BEAR (Bridge Enhanced ACL Repair).

Unlike standard ACL surgery, BEAR helps the torn ACL heal itself so it doesn’t need to be replaced. Doctors insert a special tiny sponge into your knee between the torn ends of the ACL. They then inject the sponge with your own blood and stitch the loose, torn ends of the ACL into the sponge that contains the blood. It becomes a support for the ACL. Over time, the torn ends heal and become new, healthy ACL tissue.

So i have no clue since Ron keeps his secrets.

50 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No he was not. before this year the last two years of the AHL he only missed two games and he was suspended for those.

Kid has be pretty healthy for as physical as he plays.

The only time he missed in junior was a broken jaw can't fault him for that.

Additionally, whatever it is that's wrong with his knee really seemed to be the result of a guy stepping into a lineup and going from zero to playoffs before his body had acclimated itself to being used like that again.

And I'm not saying that AHL playoff speed was too much for him, I'm saying the Morin has a huge chip on his shoulder about this year and his injuries and was coming in maybe trying and pushing it a bit more than he was quite ready for.

The latest injury sure looked like just the kind of stupid thing one does to oneself when your head and your heart are ready to go and not really aware that one's body isn't quite ready yet.  

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

Flyers won't lose him to waivers but I really don't see Sam making a big impact on the club next year.   He has been constantly hurt (was in Jrs I believe to) and will have a tough recovery this offseason.   I have said it before but Sam might get his shot with another team.   

Really just this past season and his +1 junior season (broken jaw).  Otherwise, he's been okay with the injury.  I get the reason for letting him play in the playoffs, but I would have argued against it just to get him completely well and rested.   It doesn't seem like the current injury is directly related to the previous one, but I still wouldn't have played him anyway.

I really do think it would be a mistake to move him.  I truly believe he's going to be a very good shut down-type defender.   They just have to get him healthy.

4 hours ago, swflyers28 said:

His injury was all over twitter, don't know how some missed it.

Well find it....sounds easy. I haven't seen it by anyone confirming it on twitter anywhere, even the guys who cover the Phantoms or Flyers.

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well find it....sounds easy. I haven't seen it by anyone confirming it on twitter anywhere, even the guys who cover the Phantoms or Flyers.

I've seen 6 months from several sources, but I'm still looking for ACL confirmation.

4 hours ago, swflyers28 said:

His injury was all over twitter, don't know how some missed it.

People here didn't miss the injury, but we've missed the ACL diagnosis.   I mean, I've been assuming ACL but haven't seen that confirmed.  Link(s) would be helpful.  Thanks!

16 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

People here didn't miss the injury, but we've missed the ACL diagnosis.   I mean, I've been assuming ACL but haven't seen that confirmed.  Link(s) would be helpful.  Thanks!

Not to change the subject but i thought this was interesting....

Seems to work. Kind of the opposite of Hak it seems.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not to change the subject but i thought this was interesting....

Seems to work. Kind of the opposite of Hak it seems.

Yeah, I thought similarly when I saw this.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I thought similarly when I saw this.

Is it me...

PHOTO: Dimitrios Pagourtzis, 17, is the suspect in a deadly shooting at Santa Fe High School in Texas, May 18, 2018. (Galveston County Sheriff)

....or doesn't this guy look like Travis konecny before he started on slim fast and got a hair cut....

Image result for travis konecny

18 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Really just this past season and his +1 junior season (broken jaw).  Otherwise, he's been okay with the injury.  I get the reason for letting him play in the playoffs, but I would have argued against it just to get him completely well and rested.   It doesn't seem like the current injury is directly related to the previous one, but I still wouldn't have played him anyway.

I really do think it would be a mistake to move him.  I truly believe he's going to be a very good shut down-type defender.   They just have to get him healthy.

I am just giving you my gut feeling.   I think he has fallen a bit out of favor with the brass.   Not saying he is not going to be a good player, I have my doubts, but I feel like he is the one that is going to get traded.  He was always a "project" in terms of his skill-set and I would love to see him in the lineup but he is still very much an unknown. 

I could be way off base but he is now behind Myers when it comes to the defensive prospect ladder.   I welcome the opportunity to be wrong but it is just the way I feel.

Archived