An Interesting Take on Flyers vs. VGK

Howie58

Vegas has no passengers on its team.  None.  And everyone has bought in and plays the system the way Gallant wants it.  They are a great team.  They also don't have any rookies learning the ropes in the NHL and making mistakes.  Yes, they have young players, but they have experience.  Also, it doesn't hurt to have excellent goaltending, which the Flyers do not have.

Do I wish the Flyers were more aggressive?  For sure, but I don't think they really have the personnel to play that way.

Also, Vegas is such a different animal than any other team in the league.  There are no "comfortable" vets playing lax hockey.  No one is on a bad contract.  There are no whipping boys and there are no disappointments because there have been no expectations.  There is no overhang in terms of history or culture, which I think is a good thing.  I think players are often weighed down by an organization's history or reputation.  The team isn't living with past disappointments or an angsty fanbase.  Plus, there is an instant identity in that all the players are castoffs from other organizations.  I mean, the mentality and culture of that organization is unlike any other team in the league.  It's probably refreshing and a huge difference maker. 

On 5/21/2018 at 10:53 PM, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

I thought this was a great take on the O and B relative to VGK.  We play a defensive, risk-averse game, they go after people.  On face, their castoffs shouldn't be in a Cup final. Well, what can we do better:

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2018/5/21/17374904/viva-las-vegas-gallant-hextall-hakstol-flyers-fleury

I hope Hakstol and Hextall learn from VGK.  

Best,

Howie

Doesn't seem likely.  Not unless Hakstol's literally been playing something specifically not his intended system in order to keep the team mildly competitive while it grows up (or grows young rather).  

There's always hope.  3/4 of These Flyers certainly aren't anywhere near capable of playing at the speed of these Knights.  

On 5/23/2018 at 2:29 AM, vis said:

Vegas has no passengers on its team.  None.  And everyone has bought in and plays the system the way Gallant wants it.  They are a great team.  They also don't have any rookies learning the ropes in the NHL and making mistakes.  Yes, they have young players, but they have experience.  Also, it doesn't hurt to have excellent goaltending, which the Flyers do not have.

Do I wish the Flyers were more aggressive?  For sure, but I don't think they really have the personnel to play that way.

Also, Vegas is such a different animal than any other team in the league.  There are no "comfortable" vets playing lax hockey.  No one is on a bad contract.  There are no whipping boys and there are no disappointments because there have been no expectations.  There is no overhang in terms of history or culture, which I think is a good thing.  I think players are often weighed down by an organization's history or reputation.  The team isn't living with past disappointments or an angsty fanbase.  Plus, there is an instant identity in that all the players are castoffs from other organizations.  I mean, the mentality and culture of that organization is unlike any other team in the league.  It's probably refreshing and a huge difference maker. 

Yes but they have Fleury in net who has played lights out almost all year long. You put a Brian Elliot in place of Fleury and Vegas wouldn't have the same results or be playing the Stanley Cup finals right now. It's the same every year in the playoffs, a hot goalie gives his teammates to play with confidence and not to be afraid of taking chances.You're right, Vegas started with a clean slate and no bad long term contracts to deal with, a bunch of players willing to buy in the coaches' direction and players with chips on their shoulders out to prove their former teams wrong for giving up on them.

Archived