Sharks sign Evander Kane to a 7 year deal

hf101

3 minutes ago, hf101 said:

This year,  #21.  Add that to their #1 pick.

A wiin/win for both teams.

I don't think it was this year unless this is wrong:

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/02/26/evander-kane-trade-san-jose-sharks-buffalo-sabres/

EDIT:  Yeah, TSN has 2019 also

https://www.tsn.ca/kane-sharks-close-on-seven-year-extension-1.1092257

Well, no one can accuse the Sharks of not trying to retain good players and keep trying to make runs at a Cup.

I think of all the teams that Kane has been a part of, the Sharks has been the best fit for him.

Granted, much of that probably has to do with the fact that he is 26 now and one would think he would have matured over the years.

Still though, he was very good for San Jose down the stretch and the playoffs, not a whole lot was made of his past while with them, and while $7M AAV is pricey, at least the Sharks are going with a guy who will only be 33 or 34 at the end of that contract, and a guy who has shown that when he focuses on just hockey, can be a real boost for a team.

Aside from off the ice shenanigans (again, which hopefully he is done with), the other real danger for San Jose here, as one might expect with any high paying, long tenured contract, is injury.

And Kane DOES have a bit of a history with consistent IR time.

But right now, hard to find fault with this signing from the Sharks point of view.

Even after this contract, I believe they will have about 7-8M left of cap space too.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, no one can accuse the Sharks of not trying to retain good players and keep trying to make runs at a Cup.

Bill Torrey said a mouthful years ago: "It's no secret, it's not complicated. Get good players."

I would amend it to include "... and keep good players."

With Kane, the Sharks have done both.

It will be interesting to see if Kane was just playing (well I might add) for the contract, or does he finally "get it" and he's finally grown up?

7 years of Evander "Bling" Kane would be a death sentence to the Sharks. But if he plays like he did since the trade it's a good signing.

Wow.  They really invested in him.  He is good.  But he has issues.  The Sabres did not want to invest that much in him.  But of course had no choice but to trade him and build this young team.  A day will come soon when we get our return for these deals.  When once again the Sabres will be a force.  The Sharks should know that as they cant even beat the Sabres when they are at their very worst

On 5/23/2018 at 8:56 AM, flyercanuck said:

It will be interesting to see if Kane was just playing (well I might add) for the contract, or does he finally "get it" and he's finally grown up?

7 years of Evander "Bling" Kane would be a death sentence to the Sharks. But if he plays like he did since the trade it's a good signing.

Only time will tell. High risk high reward 

On 5/23/2018 at 9:56 AM, flyercanuck said:

I would think this means the end for Joe Thornton, no? I suppose he could come back on a one year (and small cap hit) deal. He's always been adamant about retiring a Shark.

@B21 I've never really understood that I mean yes it's a great sentiment but if it were me I'd at some point want to win the cup I mean Borque did it and he was still a Bruin through. So yes the Sharks have much better chances at a cup than say Shane Doan did with the Coyotes, So sure sign a 1-year small cap hit deal and then at the trade deadline get traded to a contender assuming you're not in contention while yes Harder for Thornton as the sharks seem to always be in contention but if they weren't then I'd want to be traded. It helps the team you love by allowing them to get something in return for you and then if you want to sign another 1-year deal with your old team so you can retire with them. I mean I thought Shane Doan should have been doing that the last 3-4 years with the coyotes where he'd sign a 1-year deal get traded at the deadline to a contender and then sign back with the coyotes and do the same again if you're not in contention, Coyotes then get some draft picks or guys for the Future and Doan has a better shot at a cup and than he could sign on with the Coyotes for 1 year and call it a career.

I don't like this deal for the Sharks, because I don't trust Kane. I'm also not sold on his production - sure, he put up good numbers over a small sample size, but he's still never cracked 60 points or 30 goals in a season, and his possession metrics are bottom half. Given that he'll be over 30 for half of the duration of the contract, it could start looking really bad for the Sharks. Add to that the signing bonus money that makes a buyout less useful and the modified NTC which decreases trade value... Yeah, I don't like it. There is this, though:

• 4 months later...

@AJgoal At the time I would've agreed with you 100%. I share all the concerns you pointed out plus his overall attitude or demeanor. But like someone said, maybe he's matured a bit and this season looks promising, we might be wrong.

So far 7 games, 7 points, not too shabby. Will this point flow continue for 7 years and will he be worth the money...? I doubt it, hate these long term contracts.

Archived