Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL
pilldoc

Stanley Cup Finals: Vegas Knights vs. Washington Capitals

Stanley Cup Finals: Vegas Knghts vs. Washington Capitals  

27 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who wins their first ever Stanley Cup?

• Knights Sweep 4-0
    • Knights in 5
    • Knights in 6
    • Knights in 7
    • Capitals Sweep 4-0
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7

Posted (edited)

All discussion about the Stanley Cup Finals here please.

Monday, May 28, 8 p.m.: Capitals @ Golden Knights | NBC, CBC, SN, TVA Sports

Wednesday, May 30, 8 p.m.: Capitals @ Golden Knights | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVA Sports

Saturday, June 2, 8 p.m.: Golden Knights @ Capitals | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVA Sports

Monday, June 4, 8 p.m.: Golden Knights @ Capitals | NBC, CBC, SN, TVA Sports

*Thursday, June 7, 8 p.m.: Capitals @ Golden Knights | NBC, CBC, SN, TVA Sports

*Sunday, June 10, 8 p.m.: Golden Knights @ Capitals | NBC, CBC, SN, TVA Sports

*Wednesday, June 13, 8 p.m.: Capitals @ Golden Knights | NBC, CBC, SN, TVA Sports

* - if necessary

Edited by pilldoc

Ugh I think I just threw up a little in my mouth with this final matchup. The only redeeming quality is there is not a flightless bird to be found in it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Poulin20 said:

Ugh I think I just threw up a little in my mouth with this final matchup. The only redeeming quality is there is not a flightless bird to be found in it.

Ducks do fly though...

As much as I (and @notfondajane) would love to see MAF get another Cup I think the Cinderella story ends here. I said it when the playoffs started that I think this is OV's year. He get's his first (and what will be his only) Cup. Caps in 6. 

Posted (edited)

I think the biggest challenge facing the Caps is that Hockey Junkie is cheering for them to win:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

I think this should be a good series but I think the extra rest Vegas has been able to get during this playoff run will give them a slight edge. 

Knights in 7

Edited by Samifan
  • Haha 1

I'm not going to make a prediction.  I've been horrible at it this year.  The only series I got right were Pitt/Phi, and both of the Jets' first two rounds.   I think Nashville's first round, also.  Not number of games in any of those cases, but at least winner.  In any case, wrong way more often than right.

But I'll doom Vegas:   I'm cheering for them.  

I haven't been. I'm horrified by the idea of a first-year expansion team winning the Cup, despite actually liking a lot of the players not named Neal and really liking the coach.   But of all professional sports, I dislike the Caps and their fans more than any other team or fan base.  In a walk.

Plus, if the Capitals finally win, it completely upsets my world view that has already been greatly damaged by other non-sports events in the two years.   It's all I have left that attaches me to the world I knew.

Go Golden Knights.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, B21 said:

As much as I (and @notfondajane) would love to see MAF get another Cup I think the Cinderella story ends here. I said it when the playoffs started that I think this is OV's year. He get's his first (and what will be his only) Cup. Caps in 6. 

I tend to agree with you! This the first time I like both teams to lose!

• Like 1

To me the two choices are about the same as picking between nausea after a night of tequila and Mexican or explosive diarrhea. I am going with complete lack of interest in seven. 

• Like 1

@ruxpin

Love the disclaimer. or at least I anticipate that I expect that I shall in the future. Potentially I could anyway.

• Haha 1

It's all fixed folks -- Vegas will win this in 5.

6 hours ago, Samifan said:

I think the biggest challenge facing the Caps is that Hockey Junkie is cheering for them to win:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

I'd like to think I am more mature than this, but this line LITERALLY made me spit up a French fry as I read it......

Talk about cut-to-the-chase analysis.....  @Samifan wins the internet today as far as I am concerned.... :bigteeth:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, pilldoc said:

All discussion about the Stanley Cup Finals here please.

Wednesday, May 30, 8 p.m.: Capitals @ Golden Knights | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVA Sports

Saturday, June 2, 8 p.m.: Golden Knights @ Capitals | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVA Sports

*Wednesday, June 13, 8 p.m.: Capitals @ Golden Knights | NBC, CBC, SN, TVA Sports

* - if necessary

They're waiting until Monday to start this?   So much for any rest advantage for VGK winning in quick fashion while the Caps took seven.   That sucks. Now the Golden Knights actually have rust to worry about.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

They're waiting until Monday to start this?   So much for any rest advantage for VGK winning in quick fashion while the Caps took seven.   That sucks. Now the Golden Knights actually have rust to worry about.

Agreed.

Absolutely NO REASON why this series couldn't have gotten started at LEAST this Friday or Saturday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

It's all fixed folks -- Vegas will win this in 5.

Nice run Vegas, but it ends here.

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Agreed.

Absolutely NO REASON why this series couldn't have gotten started at LEAST this Friday or Saturday.

Actually, I like it better that it isn't over the holiday weekend.  

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

@ruxpin

Love the disclaimer. or at least I anticipate that I expect that I shall in the future. Potentially I could anyway.

Thanks.  LOL. 

I hope no one focuses too closely on the use of first person plural pronouns, because I may have unintentionally given something away.

• Like 1

Just now, hf101 said:

Actually, I like it better that it isn't over the holiday weekend.  

I imagine it's for viewership and maybe even ticket sales, but for competitive purposes I think it's horrible.

It's Washington's time. Now that they have figured out how to play defense, and support one another, and Ovechkin has truly become a leader in all facets of the game, they will wear Vegas down and win it in 5 or 6 at the most. No more Ovechchoke. Fleury gets the Conn Smythe, the Caps win the Cup. I want the Flyers to remain the quickest expansion team to ever win a Cup, until they win it a third time.

• Like 1

I went Caps in 6.

I wouldn't cry a river if the Knights won it also, but say what you want about Ovechkin and his Capitals, I think, after winning their division, eliminating the defending champion Penguins, then bouncing the #1 seeded Eastern team Lightning, I think Ovie and his group are truly ready for Prime Time and a championship.

Who knows if the Caps will be able to come close to this again, but Ovechkin is the type of guy who really CAN carry a team and he just looks bound and determined to have his team finally win the big one and silence the critics.

Thing is, as much as he is capable of carrying his team, he really shouldn't need to.

Many other players have stepped up and doing their parts, not the least of which is Braden Holtby holding down the fort in goal.

The Knights are gonna do what they always do:

Play 60 minutes, roll 4 lines, play a quick offense and confounding defense, and act like they've been in the league as a team for YEARS.

Based on track records, I almost wanted to say Vegas takes this easily...… but there is just something about this iteration of the Capitals that makes me feel that no matter what the records say, no matter what the point totals say, no matter what the analytics say, and no matter that HJ IS rooting for them :bigteeth: , it just feels like the Great 8 will finally lead his team to the pinnacle.

I will still be smarting from my Lightning being shut out in back to back games for the elimination, but I can now sit back and watch some of this with no fan vested interest, but rather, simply as someone who wants to see who will raise their first Stanley Cup as a franchise.

Oh yea....and I can now focus more fully on baseball too...…  :VeryCool:

• Like 1

I am with FD and Fruit girl.  Caps in 6.  I believe in their defense and that is what will do it.  They can score.  This is a veteran team with many Russian stars vs a young "expansion" team with some Swede guys that are playing very well and a goalie that is the reason they are here.  I think the Caps will win game 1 convincingly.   And it will be the toughest test Vegas has seen in the playoffs.  A team that can outskate Nashville blindfolded.  They hit hard, they can take hits, and they know how to play defense better than any team that made it to the playoffs this year.  They have a system that works under Trotz.  A good friend of Lindy Ruff by the way.  A disciplined team that has Alexander Ovetchkin and Nickolas Backstrom and a lot of guys that do not get a lot of notoriety.  Connolly and Eller are two examples. But there are many more including those other Russians I cannot spell their names and won't try.  Washington is an underdog.  Who ever would have predicted this final?  I predicted ST Louis vs Washington before the first puck was dropped this year.  I said Washington would not care about the regular season, and would be plenty dangerous in the playoffs.  I nailed it in the East and was wrong in the West.  Bad coaching did the Blues in.  When the playoff teams were set I picked Washington vs Minnesota.  The Wild had played very well down the stretch and I was tossed up between them, the Kings and  the Preds.  This Vegas team shocked me again.  They will not shock me in these finals.  I have watched them play now much more in the playoffs than in the regular season.  Dog and pony show to start the home games to try and psych out the opposition.  What are they going to do with the bigger and just as fast Capitals?  Get their arses handed to them.  The only reason it could be tough is Fleury.  If he pulls a Bernie Parent, it could be a different story.  But as good as he is, he is not Parent.  Or Plante or Hasek.  Vegas will find out that Washington has a solid system on D.  Vegas must score first in games to have any shot. I think Ovy finally gets to hoist the Cup.  He deserves to.  But so did guys like Lindros and Perrault.  

Screw it.

I'm going to go ahead and predict VGK in 5 games.   Fleury beat the Caps last year, including a game 7 shutout.   Let's make it two years in a row.

18 hours ago, pilldoc said:

And what the hell with 3 days between each of the last 4 games?  What moron scheduled this?

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

And what the hell with 3 days between each of the last 4 games?  What moron scheduled this?

The NHL awards are scheduled for the 20th with the NHL draft on the 22 and 23.  They are spacing it out so that the off season isn't so long.  :haha:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

TV Executive-  (tee-vee- x-eh-q-tiv), (Noun) - 

1)Highly paid moron who schedules things that best fit the bottom line of a given network.

2) One who is in charge, whether he knows anything about an event or not, of scheduling and presentation of said event.

(Synonyms), Corporate Cog, Suit, Bean Counter, Glad Hander

Best definition I could come up with for ya, Rux……   :zorro:

• Haha 1