Stanley Cup Finals: Vegas Knights vs. Washington Capitals

pilldoc

Stanley Cup Finals: Vegas Knghts vs. Washington Capitals  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins their first ever Stanley Cup?

• Knights Sweep 4-0
    • Knights in 5
    • Knights in 6
    • Knights in 7
    • Capitals Sweep 4-0
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

I see the same thing. Vegas goes for a final all-out-attack suicide mission game, outshooting Washington like 48-15 and get the victory in front of their fans before losing in DC.

They finally came too short in the final and seem without any solution. For now this reminds me the 1991 final with a challenging Cinderella team in the beginning of the series before hopelessly drowning.

And I was at The Met to witness the game 6 beatdown. But I got to see the Cup carried around the Rink. Probably never see that happen again as I’m an old fart now. 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny a trade no one really ever talks about is the trade of T.J. Oshie for Troy Brouwer, Phoenix Copley and a 3rd.

Blues (Armstrong) got straight robbed in that trade.

They basically got one year of Brouwer who walked to sign with the Flames. Terrible trade for the Blues.

How about this old sick move?? Just for you @Jimtown guy

Maybe Knights could backcheck like they’ve done all year and bury the chances they’ve had they might have a chance. It felt like every 2 minutes there’s a Capital wide open in the slot or near it. 

@OccamsRazor

Thing about that Oshie trade was, while in St. Louis, TJ was basically a nondescript type player.

Only cracked 20 goals once (21), but was usually in the teens in any given season on goals....granted, he had lots of assists that made him a constant 50+ point player (not too shabby really), but the actual goals just weren't there like the Blues wanted.

He goes to Washington and his overall point totals aren't too much different, however, his actual GOALS have gone up (26,33, though interestingly only 18 this season), and he has become much more effective on the PP too, accumulating more points per season on the man advantage than he ever did in St. Louis.

Now whether that goal scoring and PP production came from him maturing into a better player or he simply fits better into the Capitals system and personnel than he did with the Blues can be up for debate.

In hindsight, yes, the Caps absolutely robbed the Blues on that trade.

But in the Blues' defense, at the time the trade was made, Oshie really didn't stand out amongst other, more consistent goal scorers.

9 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Was just being a smart a## about the QB.  Yeah, the SB following the 1980 season was a disappointment. I was in middle school at the time and had just been to the Phillies World Series parade that October.  The school said they'd suspend anyone who went to the Super Bowl parade (if they won).  We were going to go anyway. It turns out I had to wait another 37 years! 

Speaking of World Series, the last time my Orioles won was 1983 vs your Phillies.  Ripken's rookie year.  This is the nightmare of all nightmare seasons.  I did not see it coming.  I mean, this team made the playoffs in 3 of the last 6 seasons.  Sucks.  

OK.  Time for an honesty check.  Did anyone besides me pick the Capitals to win the Cup at the beginning of the brackets contest?  I picked them over the Wild. Huge mistake in the West.  I still feel with Parise they might have survived longer. He is that important to them.  But the Capitals came through.  I had ST Louis and Washington at the start of the season.   And I will pick the Blues again next season.  But soon, I will be ready to pick my Sabres once again.  But its just too soon now.

30 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Speaking of World Series, the last time my Orioles won was 1983 vs your Phillies.  Ripken's rookie year.  This is the nightmare of all nightmare seasons.  I did not see it coming.  I mean, this team made the playoffs in 3 of the last 6 seasons.  Sucks.  

I no longer follow it much.  The Phillies are doing well (by their recent standards) but I'm only vaguely aware of the standings.  I couldn't even tell you off the top of my head ANY of the players or the manager.

I can't really tell you why.   I grew up a baseball card junkie and would sit on Sunday afternoons with scorecard at the ready and watch the game and keep score.  Avid baseball fan back then.  I really want to point to the 1994 strike.   They lost me and never really got me back.  It didn't help that the Phillies were so horrible for many years.  I could tell you through the 90s who the players were and if you asked I could tell you who was in Cy Young contention, home run/rbi leaders, etc.  But I really didn't watch.

They drew me back in when they were good for a couple years and, of course, I went to the WS parade.   But I fell out of it again by 2010ish and I don't think I've watched a combined 9 innings since.   I have no idea who any of the players are anywhere anymore.  If you asked me who the top pitchers are I'd have to quickly change the subject.  I really don't know.

I watch you and Jammer and some others kibitz about the Os and some other teams, but not enough to remember any specifics.  I do, however, avidly watch and go to the games for the Little League World Series (I'm about a mile and a half from the LLWS).  That's really fun and still free, actually.    I go to a couple games of the single A team here (it's a Phillies affiliate, but if you're on this team, it means your career is going nowhere).  Honestly, the quality of baseball is vastly better at the LLWS than at the single A games.  They actually throw to the right base and baserun better at the LLWS than at the Crosscutters (the Single A team).  

Like I said, though, I'm really not quite sure why I got away from it.  The 9-inning games just don't keep my attention.   It's me more than them because I'm really struggling similarly with Flyers' games.

33 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

OK.  Time for an honesty check.  Did anyone besides me pick the Capitals to win the Cup at the beginning of the brackets contest?  I picked them over the Wild. Huge mistake in the West.  I still feel with Parise they might have survived longer. He is that important to them.  But the Capitals came through.  I had ST Louis and Washington at the start of the season.   And I will pick the Blues again next season.  But soon, I will be ready to pick my Sabres once again.  But its just too soon now.

You should have bet me.   You'd have made a mint and I'd be borrowing money to keep my internet connection.

46 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

nope, you are going to win the bracket challenge if the Caps win the Stanley Cup.

"The pressure is off us now," Gallant said Tuesday. "We're going to go out and play and work hard and go have some fun. So we'll see what happens."

eh... they're done.

2 minutes ago, hf101 said:

"The pressure is off us now," Gallant said Tuesday. "We're going to go out and play and work hard and go have some fun. So we'll see what happens."

eh... they're done.

Yea, I saw this line yesterday....

Taking nothing away from the job Gallant has done with this team and all they have accomplished, it really DOES sound like a line designed to take the media heat away from his team.....and a nice tag line in the likelihood the Knights are finally eliminated.

On 6/5/2018 at 8:09 PM, ruxpin said:

I no longer follow it much.  The Phillies are doing well (by their recent standards) but I'm only vaguely aware of the standings.  I couldn't even tell you off the top of my head ANY of the players or the manager.

I can't really tell you why.   I grew up a baseball card junkie and would sit on Sunday afternoons with scorecard at the ready and watch the game and keep score.  Avid baseball fan back then.  I really want to point to the 1994 strike.   They lost me and never really got me back.  It didn't help that the Phillies were so horrible for many years.  I could tell you through the 90s who the players were and if you asked I could tell you who was in Cy Young contention, home run/rbi leaders, etc.  But I really didn't watch.

They drew me back in when they were good for a couple years and, of course, I went to the WS parade.   But I fell out of it again by 2010ish and I don't think I've watched a combined 9 innings since.   I have no idea who any of the players are anywhere anymore.  If you asked me who the top pitchers are I'd have to quickly change the subject.  I really don't know.

I watch you and Jammer and some others kibitz about the Os and some other teams, but not enough to remember any specifics.  I do, however, avidly watch and go to the games for the Little League World Series (I'm about a mile and a half from the LLWS).  That's really fun and still free, actually.    I go to a couple games of the single A team here (it's a Phillies affiliate, but if you're on this team, it means your career is going nowhere).  Honestly, the quality of baseball is vastly better at the LLWS than at the single A games.  They actually throw to the right base and baserun better at the LLWS than at the Crosscutters (the Single A team).  

Like I said, though, I'm really not quite sure why I got away from it.  The 9-inning games just don't keep my attention.   It's me more than them because I'm really struggling similarly with Flyers' games.

I wish I had my old cards.  Back in the late 80s or early 90s I found an early 1960's Jack Kemp card in a Dr Seuss book I had when I was a kid.  It was worth $75 when I found it and twice that by late 90s.  It was rare.  And it was gone just like my ex wife around the millenium turn.  I suspect she stole it because I never found it and would not have lost it. I still have my Led Zeppelin ticket stub from May 30th 1977 (Landover, MD, the old Capital Centre).  Its worth money but not sure how much.  I would never sell it.  I wish I had been a collector. 

3 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I wish I had my old cards.  Back in the late 80s or early 90s I found an early 1960's Jack Kemp card in a Dr Seuss book I had when I was a kid.  It was worth $75 when I found it and twice that by late 90s.  It was rare.  And it was gone just like my ex wife around the millenium turn.  I suspect she stole it because I never found it and would not have lost it. I still have my Led Zeppelin ticket stub from May 30th 1977 (Landover, MD, the old Capital Centre).  Its worth money but not sure how much.  I would never sell it.  I wish I had been a collector. 

I wasn't really a collector in the sense that I'd go pay money for older cards.   But I have complete Topps sets from 1974 - 1982 (all the hard way--buying packs) and then to 1992 buying sets.

I may kill my father.  He had old Topps and Bowman cards.  Mays, Mantle, Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson, etc.  An early Pete Rose, but I don't believe it was a rookie card.  None of them were "mint" but most in at least "good" condition.   My brother had no interest so he always said he'd give them to me.  After my mother died and he broke house, he GAVE them to some 30-something guy in his Sunday school class in his church.   I'm not sure whether to kill my father or the 30-something.  He didn't get a cent for them.  Just gave them away.

43 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I wasn't really a collector in the sense that I'd go pay money for older cards.   But I have complete Topps sets from 1974 - 1982 (all the hard way--buying packs) and then to 1992 buying sets.

I may kill my father.  He had old Topps and Bowman cards.  Mays, Mantle, Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson, etc.  An early Pete Rose, but I don't believe it was a rookie card.  None of them were "mint" but most in at least "good" condition.   My brother had no interest so he always said he'd give them to me.  After my mother died and he broke house, he GAVE them to some 30-something guy in his Sunday school class in his church.   I'm not sure whether to kill my father or the 30-something.  He didn't get a cent for them.  Just gave them away.

Ugh .....  I used to be a card collector myself but got away from it in the mid 90's.  I do have a Mario Lemieux rookie card sitting around somewhere.  Most of my cards are in very good shape.  I guess I need to go through them one of these days. 

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Ugh .....  I used to be a card collector myself but got away from it in the mid 90's.  I do have a Mario Lemieux rookie card sitting around somewhere.  Most of my cards are in very good shape.  I guess I need to go through them one of these days. 

Yeah, that was just my baseball cards.  I had quite a lot of hockey cards but pretty much only from 1975-1980.  No complete sets and most aren't in great condition as they ended up in my parents' basement.  Still some decent ones in good condition, though.  The thing is, I bought them as a kid and at the time it really wasn't about what they'd be worth someday.   It was for shooting/flipping them at lunch or just for "hey!  I got Bill Barber!" or whomever.

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

It was for shooting/flipping them at lunch or just for "hey!  I got Bill Barber!" or whomever.

Yup...I used to do that too.  I spoke with one of my best buddies from my college days, he used to collect them and then go down to the old Spectrum and have players sign them.  As of a year ago he said he several thousand cards all signed.  It just got too expensive to keep up and then it got really crazy with all these other companies getting involved.  I pretty much stuck with Topps and Upper Deck.

3 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Yup...I used to do that too.  I spoke with one of my best buddies from my college days, he used to collect them and then go down to the old Spectrum and have players sign them.  As of a year ago he said he several thousand cards all signed.  It just got too expensive to keep up and then it got really crazy with all these other companies getting involved.  I pretty much stuck with Topps and Upper Deck.

It was all the other companies (Fleer, Donrus, etc.) that kind of killed it for me.   It was fun when Topps pretty much was the only game in town.  It's like everything else:  it's fun when it's collecting just for the sake of collecting, but when everyone starts doing it thinking they can catch in later and the market ends up flooded...

It was fun as a kid, though.

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Wow does that suck.  I am sorry it happened to you.  I would be pissed for sure

Finita la commedia (a hidden meaning: the complete and final end of something or someone) for this 2017-2018 season. In my opinion, an exclusively nice event happened yesterday in NHL  - for the first time Washington Capitals won a Stanley Cup after 43 years of a long long drought. They have really merited that solid win by beating Vegas team in 4 games in a row despite of playing in total 24 games to 20 Vegas games in that playoffs run. Nice effort for the Capitals was also that they eliminated all 4 tough teams(Columbus, Pittsburgh, Tampa ,Vegas) on road games by demonstrating their superb winning character as a team. Tell you a truth, I was waiting for that event for the last 13 years and I am happy this finally happened in my life. I am not sure so far if the Wild will be able to do that during my life the same way too, which I am the fan for 18 years already. Unfortunately, we still have a lack of real stars and a real toughness for our team. 

Jimtown guy, I am happy for the T.J.Oshie too. He has got lots and lots of emotions yesterday.

Looking at the overall picture in this year's playoffs, I'd say something happened that hasn't happened probably in many many seasons:

The truly BEST teams did move on in their respective series, starting from Round 1 all the way to the Finals.

No upsets really this year. You either had the expected team move on, or ONE of the teams in a match up move on where EITHER could have just as easily moved on.

One can say the Vegas Knights upset everyone along the way, due to their expansion status, but fact is, they had a hell of a regular season, beat teams consistently there, won their division, and like it or not, basically earned their way and showed why they were the better team against everyone except Washington.

I think if you are the NHL league offices, you should be very pleased with how all this turned out.

Good teams did what they were supposed to, the so-so teams were eliminated early, a league star (Ovechkin) raises the Cup, and the league's newest team (scoffed at by many before the season started because of the location) made a hell of a showing.

Home teams for various fans being eliminated aside, I'd rate 2017-18 a very successful one for the NHL as a whole.

Now.....if they can only all get on the same page with regards to penalty calling...………………..

Archived