Stanley Cup Finals: Vegas Knights vs. Washington Capitals

pilldoc

Stanley Cup Finals: Vegas Knghts vs. Washington Capitals  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins their first ever Stanley Cup?

• Knights Sweep 4-0
    • Knights in 5
    • Knights in 6
    • Knights in 7
    • Capitals Sweep 4-0
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

TV Executive-  (tee-vee- x-eh-q-tiv), (Noun) - 

1)Highly paid moron who schedules things that best fit the bottom line of a given network.

2) One who is in charge, whether he knows anything about an event or not, of scheduling and presentation of said event.

(Synonyms), Corporate Cog, Suit, Bean Counter, Glad Hander

Best definition I could come up with for ya, Rux……   :zorro:

LOL 

Here's the thing:  I think that the extra day is actual counter-productive to that end.  It interrupts and hampers the energy.  I know, it's just one day (each time), but it's an attention killer, especially for causal fans or even team-centric fans of other teams.  I'm sure it's TV-exec driven because there's no real competitive reason for it, but I think it's a bad ratings call, too. 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion, from the round 2 we have the best playoffs season on matching all these teams since I ever remember, which had more than 100 points during the regular season . The final series of this Stanley Cup is going to be practically a tough duel between Marc-Andre Fleury(a 3 Stanley Cup winner for the last decade and a Gold winner of Olympics 2010 in Vancouver) and a Holtby. Fleury did a pretty nice and quick(in 4 games) job against of Jonathan Quick (a 2 Stanley Cup winner) in round 1, which was one of the best goalies duel of this playoffs season. Unfortunately, Holtby is not matching to Jonathan Quick as well as to Fleury too. I have feelings that our Vegas Cinderella is going to be a winner this year. It is a really merit that surprise for the first time in NHL history, BUT sincerely, I really would like to see Caps as a winners, because they merit not less than Cinderella and tried extremely hard for the last decade including this playoffs season too, which team passed already 2 rounds in 6 games and 1 round in 7. All they need – to be able to find the way to put consistently more than 4 goals per game into the Fleury’s net, because ,I think , Holtby is able to hold 4 goals advantage. Wild team alone did this all 3 games against Vegas during the regular season this year. I think Vegas knows this secret too, because Haula and Tuch played for our team before and will try to prevent that happening as much as they can.

Hope, Ovie is reading my message. Just hope!:capitals:

A vast majority of people thought that Vegan won't make the playoffs >> They did

1st round: I was sure that the LA were gonna use their experience to kick them out >> Vegas got the sweep.

2nd round: cinderella story over, Sharks will beat them >> Vegas in 6.

3rd round: no way the Golden Knights can handle the Jets' physical play. Game #1 proved it >> Vegas won the next 4 games...

So I'm not making predictions anymore. I admit, I'm not fan of Ovie. Typical russian behavior guy who sits on his fat contract. During the last lock-out, the only thing that mattered to him was to get paid. Didn't care about the game, the competition and the impacts, sometimes dramatic, on all concerned staff and personnel. Then, the year when the Caps missed the postseason and Ovie finished last in the league in the differential with a -38 or so showed that he's only playing for himself. Yeah, Trotz put him right on track, made him a better player with a better attitude, blah blah, but still.

Go Knights. If they make it to the end, hope Haula and Tuch send a picture of their ring to Chuck. But I will be thrilled for Marc-André Fleury, one of the nicest guys in the league.

More of the same to come, from the media and all of the experts and the haters...

VGK parades the CUP down the strip and everyone melts down...

It will be more of "The Best Team Lost", like it was with the Kings, the Sharks, the Jets and soon to be the Caps.

If Vegas is not entitled to play for and even with the Stanley Cup, then why are they one of 31 teams eligible to win it? No different than any other NHL team/Organization.

Southern Nevada has been dismissed for years and years, ignored and set aside as a transient town with no validity. There are 2.2 million people many of which are Cubs fans, Eagles Fans, Yankee Fans, Kings Fans and so on that have lived here for years just waiting for a Pro Team of their own. Win or lose, there are 29 other teams and their fans watching, wising it was their turn. It may never come around again, or it could take another 40 years to happen again. Vegas is living in the moment, and taking it in day to day, just the like the team is.

Sometimes things happen without explanation. But there is not a single player on this team that has not worked just as hard as any other NHL player, if not harder, And there is not a single player on this team that does not deserve to win a Championship through that hard work any less than any other player in the NHL.

21 minutes ago, Vegas Always Wins said:

More of the same to come, from the media and all of the experts and the haters...

It will be more of "The Best Team Lost", like it was with the Kings, the Sharks, the Jets and soon to be the Caps.

If Vegas is not entitled to play for and even with the Stanley Cup, then why are they one of 31 teams eligible to win it? No different than any other NHL team/Organization.

Southern Nevada has been dismissed for years and years, ignored and set aside as a transient town with no validity. There are 2.2 million people many of which are Cubs fans, Eagles Fans, Yankee Fans, Kings Fans and so on that have lived here for years just waiting for a Pro Team of their own. Win or lose, there are 29 other teams and their fans watching, wising it was their turn. It may never come around again, or it could take another 40 years to happen again. Vegas is living in the moment, and taking it in day to day, just the like the team is.

Sometimes things happen without explanation. But there is not a single player on this team that has not worked just as hard as any other NHL player, if not harder, And there is not a single player on this team that does not deserve to win a Championship through that hard work any less than any other player in the NHL.

Well Stated!  I really don't have a preference as to who wins this ... I just sit back and enjoy it all.

:PostAwardsm:

1 hour ago, Vegas Always Wins said:

Boy, is that a terrific post.   One of the best of the year, actually.   Well said.

Just highlighted a couple things: 

It will be more of "The Best Team Lost", like it was with the Kings, the Sharks, the Jets

I don't understand why people say that.  In a single-game situation like an NFL playoff game, maybe you make that case.  But when a team like VGK had the record they did this year, when they beat the teams listed above in a series and in the dominant manner they did, arguing that is just refusing to accept reality.   I wasn't among those that predicted the Golden Knights.   I picked them against the Kings because I thought they were definitely better, would rise whatever wave got them this far, and because I'm not bullish on the Kings.   I did pick the Sharks in six or something but couldn't figure out why I thought they were any better than the Kings. That was my refusal to accept reality.  I did pick the Jets because I legitimately thought they were the last best chance and because I really like the Jets.  So, some of that was just picking the team I closet cheer for.   But the Golden Knights really plowed all three.   Individual player vs. individual player in like roles, I think you come up with a better score for the Jets.  But team?  I think the Golden Knights proved with an exclamation point who was the better team.

I'm hoping they do it again in the finals.   

I would think that the recent Supreme Court ruling pretty much kills any reason to snub the Vegas area.  But I don't think any of that can be chalked up to local bias; I think it's quite accurate.  (As an aside, I'd love to hear the opinion from someone in southern Nevada--particularly Vegas area--on what they think of the ruling and if it at all negatively impacts that city or if it helps it in someway.)

You know what?  I've been lamenting about a first year team winning the Cup, but "Win or lose, there are 29 other teams and their fans watching, wising it was their turn. It may never come around again, or it could take another 40 years to happen again," is also true and so well said.  And the quote above is really hard to argue against and puts it in great perspective.

Such a great post.  Good luck in the finals!

As an expansion team, Vegas has been put in the bucket "no playoffs experience" since day 1.

Yet they only have lost 3 games so far in the postseason. 3. This is ridiculously low.

The concept of "playoffs experience" has to put in the same place than the "momentum" and "home-ice advantage": Deep in the trash bin.

I still think the Fleury is a difference and nothing much else, like I mentioned that before. Put Subban during entire regular season and during playoffs and the Vegas team will be nowhere as well as in a playoffs finals.

Wild team proved that during the regular season against Vegas 3 times (3). The big plus for the Vegas team success also – they are playing the whole season as an entire hard working team just to prove that they are not a left over from the other 30 NHL teams, which could be a nice motivation for playing consistently well for many years ahead. Pittsburgh team did the huge biggest mistake by sending Fleury to Vegas.

The same Cinderella story was this year at the 2018 IIHF World Championship, when the Switzerland team was able to reach the finals by beating much more favorite teams Canada and Finland because of an outstanding goalie Leonardo Genoni play.

Villette/Lavaux. I agreed with you. For the first time in my life I convinced, that the playoffs experience means nothing when you have a high quality players playing as a real well oiled machine and having an exclusive elite goaltender (only 3 losses and 4 shutouts in 15 playoffs games, which is almost 30%).

I would not say better than our CaptainH fan said in his last messages at the Wild Fan Board regarding a Golden Knights team from Vegas.

I never said they didn't have a chance. I wasn't exactly on the bandwagon, either. I thought they were a good team, but probably would blow out early in the playoffs. But then they beat the Kings when Fleury got big-time hot(.977 save % during that series) with Vegas only scoring 7 goals(not including empty netters) during the 4 games they played. I've seen Pittsburgh, even with Crosby and Malkin, leave Fleury out to dry many times and he's bailed them out. This year is arguably his best as a pro, tied for 2nd in goals against and 5th in save % during the regular season, 2nd in both categories in the playoffs. His performance has continued to be outstanding to this point. He is not the only reason for Vegas' success in the playoffs, but he is the MAIN reason. You're right, they're not exactly loaded with stars, maybe down the road a couple of them will show that they actually are, we just haven't seen their whole body of work yet. Karlsson was a stud during the regular season.

I guess they are a legit team, they are in the finals. Even if they win it, I'm honestly not sold on them being a great team. I do believe they have scored a lot of soft goals in the playoffs, it seemed like most of them against the Jets were. But IMO, defensively and between the pipes are where they are winning the majority of their games….”.

Villette/Lavaux. I know you for many years through our former Wild Fan Board . Please, do not mention about any Russian behavior , because it is not existing as well as any Canadian, American and any other nation behavior, but only each human personal behavior. Some one is better and some one is not as good as you wish. Humans nature is different. Let’s leave different nations untouched. We have so many examples through the 100 years of NHL existence. Ovie is not an entire Caps team, but just ONE important bolt of it.

13 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

I still think the Fleury is a difference and nothing much else, like I mentioned that before

21 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Put Subban during entire regular season and during playoffs and the Vegas team will be nowhere as well as in a playoffs finals

I totally agree.  I have said from the beginning that the Knights got a Golden Goose when they were able to pluck MAF from the Pens.  Not many expansion teams are able to come out of the gate with a former SC winning goalie.

Now as far as Subban.  I don't think you give him enough credit.  He played 22 games this year for the Knights.  That is 25% of their games.  He played outstanding all things considering he never played any amount of substantial NHL games.  In 22 games, starting 19 of them, he earned 13 Wins. with a .910 SV% and a 2.68 GAA.  Over a who season, (assuming your starting goalie gets about 60 starts) that would equate out to about 41 wins.  Any NHL would take for their starter.  Now I would agree that no would know how  he would hold up physically playing 60+ games, but he certainly, IMO, could hold his own.  It is a fair argument you make.

27 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

For the first time in my life I convinced, that the playoffs experience means nothing

Now I may be taking this a bit out of context, so if I am, please forgive me.  Vegas as a team,  certainly has no playoff experience playing together as a group.  However, individually, Vegas has more playoff experience than what some writers might give them.

From an interesting article I found when reading up on Vegas and their incredible run .....

https://sinbin.vegas/playoff-experience-vgk-not-the-least-experienced-but-definitely-not-the-most/

With that in mind, we decided to look into how much playoff experience the Golden Knights have on the roster, and depending on how you slice it, it could be viewed as a lot or a little.

Obviously MAF has the most playoff experience on the Knights with over 100+  games and 3 SCF to boot.  But what about the other's?

Three Vegas players have played 40+ postseason games. Twelve Golden Knights have seven or fewer playoff appearances. Combined, the team has played 480 individual postseason games.

So here is the list ......

115 Playoff games: Marc-Andre Fleury                
.908 save %, 2.65 GAA, 62 wins                  

80 Playoff games: James Neal                  
25 goals, 44 points, 5 game-winning goals              

42 Playoff games: David Perron                
3 goals, 14 points, 1 game-winner                

36 Playoff games: Ryan Reaves                
1 goal, 9:34 ATOI (last season), 23 PIM                

28 Playoff games: Deryk Engelland                
2 assists, -9, 16:24 ATOI                  

24 Playoff games: Erik Haula                  
6 goals, 13 points, 15 takeaways                

21 Playoff goals: Nate Schmidt                  
1 goal, 4 points, +3, 16:39 ATOI (last season)              

20 Playoff goals: Luca Sbisa                  
1 goal, 4 points, -10, 17:15 ATOI                

20 Playoff goals: Shea Theodore                
2 goals, 8 points, 17:25 ATOI, 20 giveaways              

19 Playoff games: Cody Eakin                  
3 goals, 10 assists, 51.9 FO%, 18:44 ATOI                

18 Playoff games: Reilly Smith                  
8 goals, 13 points, +12, 8 points/24:57 ATOI (’17)              

17 Playoff games: Tomas Tatar                  
3 goals, 7 points, -5, 15:21 ATOI                

14 Playoff games: Oscar Lindberg                
3 goals, 4 points, 52.6 FO%, 10:27 ATOI                

7 Playoff games: Jonathan Marchessault                
1 assist, +1, 8:21 ATOI                  

5 Playoff games: Pierre-Edouard Bellemare              
1 assist, 4 blocked shots, 15 PIM,                

5 Playoff games: William Karlsson                
2 goals, 3 points, +4, 16:06 ATOI                

5 Playoff games: Brayden McNabb                
6 SOG, -4, 16:54 ATOI                  

4 Playoff games: Colin Miller                  
1 assist, 18 shot attempts, +1, 15:33 ATOI                

0 Playoff games: Ryan Carpenter, William Carrier, Brad Hunt, Jon Merrill, Tomas Nosek, Malcolm Subban, Alex Tuch

How does that stack up with the rest of the Western conference?  (Sorry I don't have the stats for the Eastern Conference)

Anaheim: 1,336 Individual Playoff games
San Jose: 1,138 Individual Playoff games
Nashville: 1,016 Individual Playoff games
Los Angeles: 928 Individual Playoff games
Minnesota: 748 Individual Playoff games
Vegas: 480 Individual Playoff games
Winnipeg: 264 Individual Playoff games
Colorado: 175 Individual Playoff games

So yeah you do make a very valid point  when considering that the Western Conference had Vegas vs. Winnipeg.

You have an excellent post and I might have proved your argument by throwing out the above numbers.  My point is that Vegas has more playoff experience than what some sports are giving them credit for.

Anyway ....Great post!

Monday cannot come soon enough!!!   Really looking forward to this final!!  Two red-hot goalies in front of solid teams both vying for the SC. I have the Knights in 5....I just think their transition game is too much for anyone. I think the Jets would have beat the Caps, so the Knights should also. Watch out for Alex Tuch in the SCF.....he is just coming into his own. 

I'm taking the Knights in 7 .......   I just think the Caps (despite their history of choking in big games/series) just might put up a decent fight.  I agree with @jammer2, Vegas's team speed is incredible and they are wickedly fast in the transition game.  The Caps will have a hard time to counter that.

Definitely looking forward to Game #1

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

I'm taking the Knights in 7 .......   I just think the Caps (despite their history of choking in big games/series) just might put up a decent fight.  I agree with @jammer2, Vegas's team speed is incredible and they are wickedly fast in the transition game.  The Caps will have a hard time to counter that.

Definitely looking forward to Game #1

Some of the battles inside the battles will be how effective the Caps forecheck can be....and how often they will be willing to send guys really deep to disrupt the Knights quick exit.....the Caps HAVE to stop the quick efficient break outs, even if it leaves them in vulnerable positions sometimes. Will depend on the score and circumstances, but I reckon the Caps have to take some chances. 

Having Tom Wilson (who is playing great in his role) in the top 6 is healthy for the Caps, helps spread out the offense, but the Knights can also use Tom's side of the ice for quick break outs....due to lack of start and stop speed on his part. 

I have to go Knights in 7.

I actually will rock my Vegas T shirt my wife bought me last July when she was out there.

It will make me look like I knew this was going to happen....

Finally hockey is back. Vegas will be rocking tonight and I’m sure their pre game show will be over the top. Again I’m pulling for Oshie and the Caps but will not lose any sleep if Vegas pulls it off. What I do want is 7 games and all going to overtime

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

Tuch (no the entire Vegas team)has been flying out there early.

There fixed it it for ya..... 

breath taking speed so far.....

Archived