Stanley Cup Finals: Vegas Knights vs. Washington Capitals

pilldoc

Stanley Cup Finals: Vegas Knghts vs. Washington Capitals  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins their first ever Stanley Cup?

• Knights Sweep 4-0
    • Knights in 5
    • Knights in 6
    • Knights in 7
    • Capitals Sweep 4-0
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

oh you mean that station that "used to" play music videos????   Yeah I haven't watched that station in over 25 years ........

I'm fairly sure there's something I've watched on there, but not regularly and I couldn't begin to tell you what.  It may have been a movie or something I like that happened to be there.

Was Punk'd on MTV?  If so, I did watch that a couple of times as guilty pleasure.    If I wanted to watch teen mothers I'd go down to the high school...I'd just stay more than 100 yards away as per...oh, nevermind.

EDIT:  We may have successfully hijacked this thread.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kuznetsov injury sucks but no killer for this deep Washington team.  He was not the regular season leader on this team.  To me its the D, guys like Orpik, Oshie, Carlson, Orlov and also guys like Eller and Connelly that are doing the job as well as the legends Ovy and Backstrom.  This team is far far deeper than Vegas and more battle tested.  I picked them to meet the Blues at the seasons start in the final.  So I got it wrong with St Louis.  Not because they don't have the talent. But I got it right with the Caps and I picked them to win the Cup at the start of the playoffs.  I stand by it.  They are coming home tied.  They have to love that. Their only other final, in another era, the Red Wings had too much.  This is a totally different story

5 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Kuznetsov injury sucks but no killer for this deep Washington team.  He was not the regular season leader on this team.  To me its the D, guys like Orpik, Oshie, Carlson, Orlov and also guys like Eller and Connelly that are doing the job as well as the legends Ovy and Backstrom.  This team is far far deeper than Vegas and more battle tested.  I picked them to meet the Blues at the seasons start in the final.  So I got it wrong with St Louis.  Not because they don't have the talent. But I got it right with the Caps and I picked them to win the Cup at the start of the playoffs.  I stand by it.  They are coming home tied.  They have to love that. Their only other final, in another era, the Red Wings had too much.  This is a totally different story

I don't like the Caps (actually, it's more about their fans), but if they go on to win this it's not as though they don't deserve the heck out of it.  So far, they've passed gut check after gut check.   I can't stand the idea of their fans celebrating the Cup, but the players and coach certainly deserve it.

If Vegas wins I'll say the same thing about their players and coach, and begrudge their fans slightly.   I don't have the years and years of disliking their fans, though.  Decades, really.

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Was Punk'd on MTV?

yes .....  I was guilty of watching  Celebrity Deathmatch (a few shows here and there) and a few shows here and there "The Real World"  ('m so ashamed) .... LOL

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

EDIT:  We may have successfully hijacked this thread

yup ...like I hijacked my own thread for the NHL Mock thread by discussing the band Styx and DL.  LOL

Just now, pilldoc said:

"The Real World" 

We watched that early on.  I think the first 4 seasons or so way back when (Puck, Seattle, San Fran, I forget what else).   But haven't seen an episode in over two decades.  I kind of got out of that kind of reality TV.   We do watch some of the competition shows like Hell's Kitchen (not so much for the last couple years) or FaceOff.  That kind of thing.  But Housewives, Real World, Karcrapians, etc., no way.

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I vaguely enjoyed last night's "show" but only because I've been to the Excalibur for that show and I think it was a shoutout to it.  Even with that, it was a little goofy for my tastes, but the live strings were actually kind of cool. 

I've been having nightmares about Vegas winning at home for Game #7. Just as the Cup comes out, the whole place goes dark....and WHAM....a lone spotlight illuminates center ice ....a breathtaking Golden Grand Piano is lowered from the rafters....then, you see him, THE most famous Vegas performer of ALL TIME appears from nowhere.....YES....IT IS BARRY MANILLOW....singing his huge hit "It's a Miracle" AND almost on que, 30,000 "Fanillows" join in on the chorus....

This was an actual dream.....LMAO....who would dream some effed up stuff like that? I have some serious problems...LMAO!!

1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

I've been having nightmares about Vegas winning at home for Game #7. Just as the Cup comes out, the whole place goes dark....and WHAM....a lone spotlight illuminates center ice ....a breathtaking Golden Grand Piano is lowered from the rafters....then, you see him, THE most famous Vegas performer of ALL TIME appears from nowhere.....YES....IT IS BARRY MANILLOW....singing his huge hit "It's a Miracle" AND almost on que, 30,000 "Fanillows" join in on the chorus....

This was an actual dream.....LMAO....who would dream some effed up stuff like that? I have some serious problems...LMAO!!

Out of curiosity, did you take Ambien?

2 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

You were right the first time.  That's not a dream; that's a nightmare.

True story:  

My cousin--who I haven't seen and don't want to since I was a teen 75 years ago--was a HUGE Barry Manilow fan.  Not just the "buy all the albums and catch a show when it's reasonably local" kind of fan.   Would take road trips all over the country so she could see him.  Met him at grocery stores on several occasions.  By the third time, he actually asked her if she could go to a different line.  When he got his residency gig in Vegas, she quit her job and moved to Vegas and got a housekeeping job so she could go to his show at least once a week--and has for the last 15 or 20 years.

I don't get it.  Here's a guy who sings a song, "I Write the Songs" and he didn't even write the stupid song.

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

You were right the first time.  That's not a dream; that's a nightmare.

True story:  

My cousin--who I haven't seen and don't want to since I was a teen 75 years ago--was a HUGE Barry Manilow fan.  Not just the "buy all the albums and catch a show when it's reasonably local" kind of fan.   Would take road trips all over the country so she could see him.  Met him at grocery stores on several occasions.  By the third time, he actually asked her if she could go to a different line.  When he got his residency gig in Vegas, she quit her job and moved to Vegas and got a housekeeping job so she could go to his show at least once a week--and has for the last 15 or 20 years.

I don't get it.  Here's a guy who sings a song, "I Write the Songs" and he didn't even write the stupid song.

Let me guess....she has a Goldfish named Mandy and even though she is single, every year makes a pilgrimage to New England for a weekend??

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Out of curiosity, did you take Ambien?

I was gonna, but they announced over the loudspeakers to not take the brown ones.....so I passed. 

3 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Let me guess....she has a Goldfish named Mandy and even though she is single, every year makes a pilgrimage to New England for a weekend??

No.  She's an imbecile named Silvia and every week makes a pilgrimage to the Las Vegas Hilton.

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

No.  She's an imbecile named Silvia and every week makes a pilgrimage to the Las Vegas Hilton.

YEEESSSSSS   B-A-R-R-Y   HIJACK!!!!

SOOOOOOOO.....Looks like she made it all the time.....she probably can't smile without him!!

5 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

My only trip ever to the old Spectrum, after seeing the Bills and Eagles that same day the Canucks were in town and Pelle Lindbergh played one of if not his last game ever before the tragic crash.  Vancouver wore the road dark browns.  I actually did not mind those.  They are not anywhere close to the worst.  I do not like Montreal's (maybe because I hate them so much).  You do not see green very often so I cannot mock the old North Stars as I liked their unis.  The dumbest thing ever were the California Golden Seals.  No magical season for them.  The former Oakland Seals.  Wearing those white skates.  Unreal.  What an insult.  The Cleveland Barons were about as boring as the Browns.  I think too many teams were going to black uniforms.  There was a study done in psychology about the impact of wearing black and it was likely the reason for many teams trying it.  Like the Golden Knights. trying to psych teams out with that dog and pony show before the game.  Freakin Lame

I typically don't like yellow jerseys but the home ones for the Canucks aren't bad looking. The road black ones look like they took the replica of the A-Team van and threw a yellow stripe on it. They are hideous, and most jerseys with a black background look pretty cool. Even if I had no knowledge about hockey, I would know that they are out of the 1980s.

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I didn't think it was only your opinion.  But honestly, I'm never particularly impressed with "the numerous opinions around the world" statements.   All that means is that I think they're wrong too.   

Oh, come on. Of course, it is.  Sure it's sports, but it's also theater. Most of the arenas I've been to have some sort of pregame schmaltz/theater.  A lot of them dim the lights or go to total darkness with "pump up" or ominous music, lasers and or spotlights, pictures on the ice, skating out through a Shark head or similar, bands, goal songs and/or horns, Mollusca or Chordata thrown on the ice, absurdly annoying videos of long-dead women singing God Bless America, country western bands, etc.  Of course it's also theater, and done according to each city's personality and with very few common traditions (we can't even point to the national anthems as a common tradition given Philly substituting with God Bless America).   The opening in Vegas is very much Vegas.  If their fans enjoy it (probably not uniformly--I'm a Flyers fan who cannot stand the above-referenced video, but it continues!), what of it?    Maybe don't televise the whole stinking thing, though, so fans from cities who live their life in sepia don't get upset.

I vaguely enjoyed last night's "show" but only because I've been to the Excalibur for that show and I think it was a shoutout to it.  Even with that, it was a little goofy for my tastes, but the live strings were actually kind of cool.   My complaint with it is my complaint with any big sporting event:  "You listed an 8:00 start.  Can we please start the stinking game before 8:30?!"    The Super Bowls and World Series games, etc., drive me nuts for the same reason.  I'm usually just "get on with the game!"

So, I think given what you said we basically agree on a general level:  "It's a sports event, can we just get on with it?!"  But I'm not calling out Vegas specifically, who is just doing it differently and is showcasing something unique to their town.

Thanks for starting finally to talk to me.🙂 My English is not native and not as good as yours, but I can fluently speak on 4 different languages and can read and listen different media on their languages and make my own personal conclusions about many things. Agree, I made a mistake in my last message - the old Wild Message Board had an option to edit mistakes, but this one does not have it. My mistake was - I did not put in between the word “the same” regarding numerous opinions around the world (it should be ...“numerous the same opinions around the world”). But was thinking that you could read my meaning between the words🤔. Still, in my opinion and your general agreement, we have too much theatrical stuff in Vegas, especially if they touch the other teams feelings instead of focusing on the game. Sincerely, I do not like that to see in hockey, which I am a fan since 1972. I do not know how old you are?70-80?🤨 But I am sure you have seen less than I have seen in my life. I lived for 35 years in USSR and 23rd year in USA and really know what to compare and what to appreciate in my life. Since 1977 (41 years) I am working in a medical field( nurse,  physician) as well as in USSR and as well as now working in USA. For the last 18 years I am working as an autotransfusionist serving thousands of American patients at 7 hospitals in Twin Cities area after serious acute trauma, gun shots, car accidents , multiple levels of spinal fusion, opened heart surgeries and many etc…. It is enough details. This is why(because of my nature) I can not accept any trauma for the hockey players because of some other players intentional dirty play. All fans have different opinions, different mentalities, different culture and we should be more tolerant to it even if they are not the same as yours. Less tolerance should be for players (does not matter for any team)who gets lots of money by contracts but play not consistently well, play dirty, do not play smart or play without any interest or without a soul.

4 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Kuznetsov injury sucks but no killer for this deep Washington team.  He was not the regular season leader on this team.  

Who knows, who knows? But he was a second very valuable leader after Ovechkin in points during this playoff season. Sadly it is a huge loss so far. Team was able to beat Columbus, Pittsburgh and Tampa and now they stuck on Vegas. Hope they will punish it for that loss.

16 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Thanks for starting finally to talk to me.🙂 My English is not native and not as good as yours, but I can fluently speak on 4 different languages and can read and listen different media on their languages and make my own personal conclusions about many things. Agree, I made a mistake in my last message - the old Wild Message Board had an option to edit mistakes, but this one does not have it. My mistake was - I did not put in between the word “the same” regarding numerous opinions around the world (it should be ...“numerous the same opinions around the world”). But was thinking that you could read my meaning between the words🤔. Still, in my opinion and your general agreement, we have too much theatrical stuff in Vegas, especially if they touch the other teams feelings instead of focusing on the game. Sincerely, I do not like that to see in hockey, which I am a fan since 1972. I do not know how old you are?70-80?🤨 But I am sure you have seen less than I have seen in my life. I lived for 35 years in USSR and 23rd year in USA and really know what to compare and what to appreciate in my life. Since 1977 (41 years) I am working in a medical field( nurse,  physician) as well as in USSR and as well as now working in USA. For the last 18 years I am working as an autotransfusionist serving thousands of American patients at 7 hospitals in Twin Cities area after serious acute trauma, gun shots, car accidents , multiple levels of spinal fusion, opened heart surgeries and many etc…. It is enough details. This is why(because of my nature) I can not accept any trauma for the hockey players because of some other players intentional dirty play. All fans have different opinions, different mentalities, different culture and we should be more tolerant to it even if they are not the same as yours. Less tolerance should be for players (does not matter for any team)who gets lots of money by contracts but play not consistently well, play dirty, do not play smart or play without any interest or without a soul.

Just so you know, it wasn't my intent to criticize your English, native speaker or not.  If it's not your native language, consider me highly impressed because it's as good as anyone's. That you speak 4 is also impressive to me. 

I took French in high school (I'm not sure why. Maybe in case Quebec invaded). I was horrible at it, but I can manage to read a lot of it and write it to be understood (though painful, probably, for the reader - - even more than English readers of what I write!).  Turns out I was deciphering rather than actually communicating. Does that make sense? 

Anyway, I understood what you meant (same), and that's what I was responding to. I'm not that impressed with the group justification.  But I get what you're saying and we agree somewhat on a general level. 

Oh, I'm only 49 ("only"in comparison to 70).  You got that from an exaggeration I made I think in this thread, so all good. 

Hey, welcome to the board. I look forward to reading you.  I'm not above disagreeing but I try to at least find some common ground. Once in awhile I'll be stronger than warranted, so feel free to call me on it. 

37 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

the old Wild Message Board had an option to edit mistakes,

fyi,  All members can edit their posts for 30 min and most feel that is enough time to make needed corrections. Supporting members have unlimited editing and other extended posting features.

13 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

Is this series still going on or was it the just best of 2 games?

Get on with it already NHL so we can move on to next season...

In the infinite wisdom (cough, cough, hack, hack) of the NHL / Buttman ....someone had the wonderful idea (sarcasm font) of making the games every 3 days between going from Vegas to DC....... :mad:

Same thing will happen after game #4 every 3 days thereafter because of travel ..... (rolling my eyes)

On 5/28/2018 at 9:29 PM, jammer2 said:

Let me say this to Flyer fans....it is WRONG to cheer for a direct division rival to win the SC!!  Have we not seen enough of that with the Pens back to back nonsense. A good chance Sid wins another one before exiting his prime....F OV.....and the Caps!!   I don't see how you can hate a brand new team more than a scummy division rival!!

While I know it would always seem 'just wrong' to root for a division rival during the season, and stomach churning to root for them ina playoff run... But it says volumes about Hockey character and respect.

Plus, why not cheer for a division rival team? It just makes your team look that much stronger in the grand scheme of things.

24 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

While I know it would always seem 'just wrong' to root for a division rival during the season, and stomach churning to root for them ina playoff run... But it says volumes about Hockey character and respect.

Plus, why not cheer for a division rival team? It just makes your team look that much stronger in the grand scheme of things.

You make a valid point, however, the hate runs very deep between the Flyers / Pens / Caps fans.  So yeah ...I get the ...don't root for your rival.  As @ruxpin states and I agree, its no so much the Cap team, its their fans who are a vast amount of bandwagon fans.   I know several co-workers who are from the DC area, don't talk about hockey or even know when the Caps are playing and then once playoff time comes around they become the #1 Cap fan decked out in all their gear and yet struggle to name any Cap player outside of Ovie or Holtby. 

The hate runs even deeper with the Pens. 

But..... I do get your POV.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

You make a valid point, however, the hate runs very deep between the Flyers / Pens / Caps/ RANGERS fans.

There I fixed it for you :dancing:

On 5/31/2018 at 12:32 PM, ruxpin said:

I don't like the Caps (actually, it's more about their fans), but if they go on to win this it's not as though they don't deserve the heck out of it.  So far, they've passed gut check after gut check.   I can't stand the idea of their fans celebrating the Cup, but the players and coach certainly deserve it.

If Vegas wins I'll say the same thing about their players and coach, and begrudge their fans slightly.   I don't have the years and years of disliking their fans, though.  Decades, really.

Back when they came in and we still had the French connection I remember one of the first times the Capitals played in Buffalo and we beat them 15-3.  One of the biggest blowouts in Sabres history.  We own them as far as the all time head to head series.  But we are no match for them now.  I am happy they are up and have a great shot to really seal the deal if they go up 3-1.  Even if they do not, they are great on the road.  I like their chances

21 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Back when they came in and we still had the French connection I remember one of the first times the Capitals played in Buffalo and we beat them 15-3.  One of the biggest blowouts in Sabres history.  We own them as far as the all time head to head series.  But we are no match for them now.  I am happy they are up and have a great shot to really seal the deal if they go up 3-1.  Even if they do not, they are great on the road.  I like their chances

Similarly, by brother and I got to see a 13-4 win by the Flyers over the Penguins at the old Spectrum.  A lot of good that's doing for the Flyers against the Penguins now. 

Archived