If not Kapt'n Koviu ... then who?

hf101

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I agree with most of this.  And the stuff I don't agree with, is simply because I don't think this organization has the will power to do anything like that.  They've let #20, #11 and #9 drive the team culture under the false idea that it will lead them to success.  It hasn't.  Its just created a very expensive country club.  The club might be a nice place to go, and play at...but its not headed towards a championship.  Its ok with above-average mediocrity.  As much as Leipold wanted a fresh set of eyes on this team, I think Leipold should consider taking a big step back.  IMO, its kind of like the parent that asks the coach what their kid can do in order to get better. When you tell them the kid has plateau'd and really is what they are going to be...then the parent tells you that you're wrong because they don't want to face facts that their kid just isn't that good.  

This team reminds me of the 1980's California Angels. They signed old players who were looking for one last payday and to play in a no pressure market...

28 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

This team reminds me of the 1980's California Angels. They signed old players who were looking for one last payday and to play in a no pressure market...

I don't think there is a lot of pressure in Minnesota at all.  As I've said to MNSOTA many times about Minnesota for players coming to the team; its like playing in Canada but without any pressure / paparazzi.  You can blend into the background and not be harassed but its a market that likes the game and you can have your kids play hockey.  I think Parise, Suter saw this place as that...and that's the culture this team has.  As long as the organization defers to them; doesn't rock the boat with their ice time / opportunity...they are happy.  But when you challenge them; they make a phone call to their owner (friend) and someone loses their job and status quo is maintained...

28 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I don't think there is a lot of pressure in Minnesota at all.  As I've said to MNSOTA many times about Minnesota for players coming to the team; its like playing in Canada but without any pressure / paparazzi.  You can blend into the background and not be harassed but its a market that likes the game and you can have your kids play hockey.  I think Parise, Suter saw this place as that...and that's the culture this team has.  As long as the organization defers to them; doesn't rock the boat with their ice time / opportunity...they are happy.  But when you challenge them; they make a phone call to their owner (friend) and someone loses their job and status quo is maintained...

There is ZERO pressure in the Minnesota market. New York, Boston, and Philly fans demand championships. If the team makes a boneheaded move, the press will call them out. Not here. "Well, the boys tried hard this year, but they had a lot of injuries. We'll get 'em next season..." "Geez, the boys sure ran into a hot goaltender. That's too bad." "The boys just don't have any puck luck this season. Darn shame..."

Its also why bloggers aren't allowed to come close to this team either.  They only want the approved questions and narratives being trotted out.  Darn injuries...hot goalies as mentioned before.  They don't want, team highly paid vets disappear in big games or well-liked younger players seem to shy away from high traffic areas in post-season.  Or highly touted franchise savior goes MIA whenever you send a few guys out there to hit him a bit.  

5 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Its also why bloggers aren't allowed to come close to this team either.  They only want the approved questions and narratives being trotted out.  Darn injuries...hot goalies as mentioned before.  They don't want, team highly paid vets disappear in big games or well-liked younger players seem to shy away from high traffic areas in post-season.  Or highly touted franchise savior goes MIA whenever you send a few guys out there to hit him a bit.  

Wild fans at the games need to take a few pointers from the Flyers fans and Boo more at the games, especially ones nationally televised.

44 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Wild fans at the games need to take a few pointers from the Flyers fans and Boo more at the games, especially ones nationally televised.

Wild fans get heavily criticized for booing at games.

3 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

Wild fans get heavily criticized for booing at games.

Same for the Flyer fans.  Their voices are heard. I'm sure the players know the difference when the fans cheer for good plays and boo for poor play. No player wants to be boo'd on National TV.  

A couple of years ago the Flyers organization chose not to bring back the ice-girls to clear the ice as part of the ice crew.  Flyer fans boo'd the all male ice crew every ice scrape for two straight home games.  The third game the girls were back and cheered for.  lol.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

Same for the Flyer fans.  Their voices are heard. I'm sure the players know the difference when the fans cheer for good plays and boo for poor play. No player wants to be boo'd on National TV.  

A couple of years ago the Flyers organization chose not to bring back the ice-girls to clear the ice as part of the ice crew.  Flyer fans boo'd the all male ice crew every ice scrape for two straight home games.  The third game the girls were back and cheered for.  lol.

A couple years ago the Wild were boo'd and Zach Parise (help me out here folks I think it was Zach) said it hurt their feelings.

Whoever it was doesn't matter as much as it does that they should have been boo'd about four years earlier when they initially used to go on month long losing streaks.

If the Wild wants one of its younger players to wear the C, give it to Dumba. Believe it or not he is one of the smartest guys on the team--not always apparent as he still makes a really bonehead play occasionally. And he probably improved as much as Zucker did as a player last season. IMO the Captain has to be one of the teams best players if not the best player. Dumba still has that potential and has continued to get closer to it.

If they want a more senior member of the team to wear it, it's gotta be ?? Staal would be my choice, but he doesn't want it. I don't think Suter wants it either--he's certainly not very vocal. Foligno?

10 hours ago, sweetshot said:

If the Wild wants one of its younger players to wear the C, give it to Dumba. Believe it or not he is one of the smartest guys on the team--not always apparent as he still makes a really bonehead play occasionally. And he probably improved as much as Zucker did as a player last season. IMO the Captain has to be one of the teams best players if not the best player. Dumba still has that potential and has continued to get closer to it.

If they want a more senior member of the team to wear it, it's gotta be ?? Staal would be my choice, but he doesn't want it. I don't think Suter wants it either--he's certainly not very vocal. Foligno?

Dumba?  C'mon.  He can barely handle playing defense let alone a leadership role on this team.  I think Staal would take it, but he'd want a contract extension and we already doubled down on Kaptain Klydesdale.  

19 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

A couple years ago the Wild were boo'd and Zach Parise (help me out here folks I think it was Zach) said it hurt their feelings.

Whoever it was doesn't matter as much as it does that they should have been boo'd about four years earlier when they initially used to go on month long losing streaks.

Zach did say being boo'd bothered them and then tried to blame the media for the fans angst...then found out the Avalanche lost and thus we were in the playoffs...and then said the fans shouldn't boo their home team, even if they're upset.  All in the same interview...just another reason for me to not be a Parise fan.  

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Zach did say being boo'd bothered them and then tried to blame the media for the fans angst...then found out the Avalanche lost and thus we were in the playoffs...and then said the fans shouldn't boo their home team, even if they're upset.  All in the same interview...just another reason for me to not be a Parise fan.  

^ And there you have it.

23 hours ago, hf101 said:

I'd boo the ice-girls to be honest.  I care more about getting the ice scraped correctly than watching cheerleaders.  If you want to spend your money watching that; just go to a strip club.  But hockey doesn't need to lower itself like that.  That's a very NFL thing to do and the NHL should not want to copy that model at all.  

46 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I'd boo the ice-girls to be honest.  I care more about getting the ice scraped correctly than watching cheerleaders.  If you want to spend your money watching that; just go to a strip club.  But hockey doesn't need to lower itself like that.  That's a very NFL thing to do and the NHL should not want to copy that model at all.  

The girls can wear pants and they can skate and push a shovel.  Not allowing them to be part of the ice-crew was the issue.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:46 PM, Gnarkill said:

I agree with the fact that Koivu shouldn't be captain.. he can't even get himself fired up most of the time! 

out of what we have...

my first pick would be:

Staal- his effort and production speaks for itself and the guy is a class act.. you'd think he would have the room's respect and would be the best choice out of what we currently have.

second pick would be:

Spurgeon- I know this one is a little out there.. but I feel Spurg is the most underrated guy on the team.. most people knock his size and I understand why during playoff hockey.. but he quietly puts in his work, is very solid and is someone I think a lot of players on the team respect and would take direction from.

I couldn't personally put the "C" on Parise just because it seems silly to have a leader who's play has been declining and isn't on the ice with injuries for seemingly good portions of each season. he's got a lot of heart and with him being local I can see why some would want it though.

or... they could always go back to the novelty of the old rotating "C" :63:

By far these two.
Both of these guys lead by example on the ice. They are willing to go the extra mile and put them self in harms way. Spurgeon will lay in front of that slapshot and take repeated blocks, that OTT game in 2016 on the PK with 4 blocks is amazing, where everybody else just turns tail and runs.

Koivu- Shouldn't ever have been a Captain. The guy will go out of his way to throw a puck at a team that is in a dangerous position to get nailed in order for Koivu to drive off a guy coming at him. The guy will never stick up for his team mates. He won't go in and do the dirty work like getting in front of the goalie with his big body to give his guys a better shot at scoring. Hell he barely gets near the faceoff circle in the offensive zone. He rather hang back on the blue line and let his wingers do all the work. The guy is never clutch. He is no where near elite/super star status.

Parise- The guy is so injured prone. He hasn't played one full healthy season with the Wild. The team now gets excited if he gets 50 games in a season. The other issue is he never was a leader. He isn't even a elite/superstar player. In his career he has only got into top 20 3 times otherwise he struggles to get to top 50-60 range. He would be a great helper piece if he could stay healthy and connect with a actually superstar. I can swallow a A on his sweater.

Suter- Another guy that isn't a leader/Captain that guys could look up to for help/inspiration or to turn the game around. He is damn good. Probably top 10 in defensemen almost every year. Could be argued he is a super star in the defensive end but not in the offensive side. The guy does carry the puck into the offensive zone and go deep with it when the team needs somebody to step up to do it. But you don't see growth of players around him either. You notice the huge drop off when Spurgeon isn't on the line with him.

A captain needs to be a guy that maybe isn't the biggest star but can step up his game and improve players around him. A player that isn't afraid to do the dirty work and take hits to get a shot at a goal. A guy that can help improve his teammates. A guy that players can look at and get behind and want to step up. A guy that will have your back in a bad situation. Basically everything that the Wild don't have. The team and players can say all they want about him being great in the locker room but when he's on the ice that Captain/leader skill is not present ever and that makes a huge impact. In front of the cameras guys basically have to talk good about each other and not show there is a breakdown internally but when they got on the ice it all shows through. We see it. For years now.

1 hour ago, EJ0226 said:

By far these two.
Both of these guys lead by example on the ice. They are willing to go the extra mile and put them self in harms way. Spurgeon will lay in front of that slapshot and take repeated blocks, that OTT game in 2016 on the PK with 4 blocks is amazing, where everybody else just turns tail and runs.

Koivu- Shouldn't ever have been a Captain. The guy will go out of his way to throw a puck at a team that is in a dangerous position to get nailed in order for Koivu to drive off a guy coming at him. The guy will never stick up for his team mates. He won't go in and do the dirty work like getting in front of the goalie with his big body to give his guys a better shot at scoring. Hell he barely gets near the faceoff circle in the offensive zone. He rather hang back on the blue line and let his wingers do all the work. The guy is never clutch. He is no where near elite/super star status.

Parise- The guy is so injured prone. He hasn't played one full healthy season with the Wild. The team now gets excited if he gets 50 games in a season. The other issue is he never was a leader. He isn't even a elite/superstar player. In his career he has only got into top 20 3 times otherwise he struggles to get to top 50-60 range. He would be a great helper piece if he could stay healthy and connect with a actually superstar. I can swallow a A on his sweater.

Suter- Another guy that isn't a leader/Captain that guys could look up to for help/inspiration or to turn the game around. He is damn good. Probably top 10 in defensemen almost every year. Could be argued he is a super star in the defensive end but not in the offensive side. The guy does carry the puck into the offensive zone and go deep with it when the team needs somebody to step up to do it. But you don't see growth of players around him either. You notice the huge drop off when Spurgeon isn't on the line with him.

A captain needs to be a guy that maybe isn't the biggest star but can step up his game and improve players around him. A player that isn't afraid to do the dirty work and take hits to get a shot at a goal. A guy that can help improve his teammates. A guy that players can look at and get behind and want to step up. A guy that will have your back in a bad situation. Basically everything that the Wild don't have. The team and players can say all they want about him being great in the locker room but when he's on the ice that Captain/leader skill is not present ever and that makes a huge impact. In front of the cameras guys basically have to talk good about each other and not show there is a breakdown internally but when they got on the ice it all shows through. We see it. For years now.

Fair enough on most of those points except Suter.  Suter's totals are inflated.  42% of his points are 2nd assists; which is a lot of points by getting all the prime ice time.  Suter lacks the urgency of a leader and he only looks out for himself.  He wants Spurgeon on his pairing because he'll do a lot of the work for him...he'll cover up HIS mistakes.  Be damned if other parts of the defense could use his ability to move the puck or contribute more offensively with Spurgeon's help.  He wants Spurgeon there because it makes HIS job easier.  Enough said.  

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

The girls can wear pants and they can skate and push a shovel.  Not allowing them to be part of the ice-crew was the issue.

Some do, like with the Wild and I'm fine with that.  But when they're wearing a cheerleader outfit...you know it isn't really about their ability to scrape the ice.  (ex. Blackhawks, Islanders, Stars etc).  

3 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Or when they score skating by the bench high-fiving... Very high-schoolish; as well as high schools having cheerleaders for hockey.

Y'all gotta loosen up a bit more.

18 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Fair enough on most of those points except Suter.  Suter's totals are inflated.  42% of his points are 2nd assists; which is a lot of points by getting all the prime ice time.  Suter lacks the urgency of a leader and he only looks out for himself.  He wants Spurgeon on his pairing because he'll do a lot of the work for him...he'll cover up HIS mistakes.  Be damned if other parts of the defense could use his ability to move the puck or contribute more offensively with Spurgeon's help.  He wants Spurgeon there because it makes HIS job easier.  Enough said.  

Don't get me wrong. I am still not a huge Suter fan. The guy can be good when he wants to but he for sure prefers having Spurgeon do all the work. From the other boards you know I am not a fan of Suter. I still think Spurgeon is our best defenseman. The guy does it all in a small frame and shows no quit. I would take Spurgeon everyday of the week over Suter. Suter without Spurgeon is not even close to the guy that plays with Spurgeon.

1 hour ago, Confrontational said:

Give the C to Prosser (and then we'll see the veterans get vocal) - or, do what Vegas does and not have a C...

At least Vegas has leaders though and the locker room seems to be working together. Forget teams even have a C and you can see the Wild severely lack leadership.

Btw, I think Vegas in 5. They will want to take it home to win it and won't mind adding a fourth lose to their overall playoff records.

Archived