2018 HF.net NHL Mock Draft Sign Up

pilldoc

2018 HF.net NHL mock Draft  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in participating in this years HF.net 2018 NHL Mock Draft

• Yes - Definitely I wouldn't miss it
    • No

Good Morning Everyone,

With the Stanley cup Finals soon to start as we head towards the end of May and with the celebration of Memorial Day,  that means we are not to far off from that annual right of passage for some Junior Hockey players known as the 2018 NHL Draft.

In a few short weeks from now, the 2018 NHL Entry Draft will be the 56th NHL Entry Draft. The draft will be held on June 22–23, 2018, at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas.

As we have done in years past, we here at HF.net have held our own mock draft.  If you are are interested in participating in this years mock Draft, please sign up below and answer the poll question listed above.  To all our new members from the Wild Forum, we welcome the opportunity for you to join us. ( example: 2017 Mock Draft)

When signing up, please list 2 or 3 teams whom you would like to pick for.  I will try to honor all requests but do realize that it is impossible to honor all those requests.  Ideally we would love to have 31 members participate.  If not then some will be picking twice.

Here are the rules:

1. The draft window will be about 6-8 hours. (of course, there will be flexibility but try to stay on schedule possible).  We do allow and understand tolerances for work schedules and family events. 
  2. Try to make the pick as realistic as possible. (Don't purposely let a Dahlin or Svechnikov drop to #24 or #25. There of course, will be some surprise drops)
  3. There are NO TRADES. (we all know trades can happen, but it is too complicated for all parties involved)
  4. @hf101 and @pilldoc will try to have a running draft order on the HF..net Draft page so everyone knows who has been picked.  A sidebar table will also be visible on the Activity Page.  I will also list it below.
  5. After you have made your selection, please use the @(mention members name) function to notify the next person on the draft order that they are now the clock.
  6. Have fun with it.  Remember there is no right or wrong answer here.  If you disagree with someone's pick then discuss it and make a case why you think the pick is not in the best interest of that team.
  7. Please use this thread exclusively for your picks and discussion.
  8. When making your selection, please include a GM or scout-like quote about that player and stating why you selected him. Videos are also nice to add to your write-up.

We would like to have a confirmation of all participants by June 7th, with the Mock Draft stating around the 10th.  (I understand the SCF may or may not be over by then, but we will adjust on the fly for the last two spots in the draft order) That gives me enough time to list the Draft Order of all of those participating.

Here is the Official 2018 NHL Draft Order:

image.png

Notes
  1. The Calgary Flames' first-round pick will go to the New York Islanders as the result of a trade on June 24, 2017 that sent Travis Hamonic and a conditional fourth-round pick in 2019 to Calgary in exchange for a second-round pick in 2018, a conditional second-round pick in 2019 and this pick.[8]
  2. The St. Louis Blues' first-round pick will go to the Philadelphia Flyers as the result of a trade on June 23, 2017 that sent Brayden Schenn to St. Louis in exchange for Jori Lehtera, Washington's first-round pick in 2017 and this pick (being conditional at the time of the trade).[9] The condition – Philadelphia will receive a first-round pick in 2018 if the Blues' first-round pick is outside of the top ten selections[10] – was converted on April 28, 2018.
  3. The Pittsburgh Penguins' first-round pick will go to the Ottawa Senators as the result of a trade on February 23, 2018 that sent Vincent Dunn and a third-round pick in 2018 to Pittsburgh in exchange for Ian Cole, Filip Gustavsson and this pick.[11]
  4. The Boston Bruins' first-round pick will go to the New York Rangers as the result of a trade on February 25, 2018 that sent Rick Nash to Boston in exchange for Ryan Spooner, Matt Beleskey, Ryan Lindgren, a seventh-round pick in 2019 and this pick.[12]
  5. The Nashville Predators' first-round pick will go to the Chicago Blackhawks as the result of a trade on February 26, 2018 that sent Ryan Hartman and a fifth-round pick in 2018 to Nashville in exchange for Victor Ejdsell, a fourth-round pick in 2018 and this pick.[13]
  6. The Tampa Bay Lightning's first-round pick will go to the New York Rangers as the result of a trade on February 26, 2018 that sent Ryan McDonagh and J.T. Miller to Tampa Bay in exchange for Vladislav Namestnikov, Libor Hajek, Brett Howden, a conditional first-round pick in 2019 and this pick.[14]
  7. The Winnipeg Jets' first-round pick will go to the St. Louis Blues as the result of a trade on February 26, 2018 that sent Paul Stastny to Winnipeg in exchange for Erik Foley, a conditional fourth-round pick in 2020 and this pick (being conditional at the time of the trade).[15] The condition – St. Louis will receive a first-round pick in 2018 if the Jets' first-round pick in 2018 is outside of the top three selections[15] – was converted when the Jets qualified for the 2018 Stanley Cup playoffs on March 25, 2018.[16]
  8. The Vegas Golden Knights' first-round pick will go to the Detroit Red Wings as the result of a trade on February 26, 2018 that sent Tomas Tatar to Vegas in exchange for the Islanders' second-round pick in 2019, a third-round pick in 2021 and this pick.[17]

Thank You for your participation.  We had a blast last year and I expect nothing different this year.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

~doc

I will do any team needed.

I guess the top three would be Flyers (obviously), Islanders, and Montreal.   But I really don't mind taking any team needed; it'll be fun either way.

9 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I suggest Merkley  for first overall.  Guaranteed stud and terrific shutdown defender.

I am never sure if you are joking on any post directed at me?  Not picking Dahlin leaves us open for criticism. I will admit its strange to see a defenseman as the highest ranked player.  It can give you the empty feeling of drafting an offensive lineman with your first pick in football.   You walk away scratching your head.   I hope this kid is truly comparable to Dennis Potvin as one poster here has said.  Usually Orr rates in a class by himself and then you get a bunch like Brad Park or Paul Coffey or Al McGuinness.  I would like to know if he has a slap shot from the point and how accurate.   Most of the homework is done for us.  Its not a McDavid/Eichel type draft I guess.  I am going to look at the goalie position for sure.  

7 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I am never sure if you are joking on any post directed at me?

Trust me ...he is joking .... :)  Dahlin is as close to a sure thing as there is.  He WILL make a difference.  IF the Sabres do not draft him...then yes...they will leave themselves for some very massive debates and second guessing.  You got your man. Dahlin immediately becomes the Sabres' go-to problem solver who should improve an attack that last year scored a league-worst 140 goals at even strength. His elite skating and vision will provide puck wizards like Jack Eichel and Casey Mittelstadt more than enough time and space to work their magic.

A case could be made for Svechnikov who is a menacing power winger with speed and elite puck skills similar to Ilya Kovalchuk.   However, the likes of Dahlin don't grow on trees and are few and far between.

@Hockey Junkie

Sorry. Yeah, completely kidding. Dahlin is far and away the #1 pick.  You're going to be thrilled with Risto and him.  It'll do tremendous things for both your offense and your goalie.  I would think Buffalo might go goalie by the third or fourth round (I'm not really familiar with how many picks they have and what rounds. It's easy enough to look except that I'm on my phone).  Dahlin is organization changing, just on defense.  You're going to have an interesting team to watch. 

@pilldoc, have you looked at goalies?  I only gave a cursory look, but no one looks truly exciting. I would guess either Gravel or Ingham would be the first goalie taken.  I think about it in the third round but not sooner. 

Just now, ruxpin said:

@pilldoc, have you looked at goalies?  I only gave a cursory look, but no one looks truly exciting. I would guess either Gravel or Ingham would be the first goalie taken.  I think about it in the third round but not sooner. 

Honestly ... no I have not looked at goalies.  Part of the reason I guess is I like what the Flyers have in the pipe-line but as you know nothing is a guarantee.  

27 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Honestly ... no I have not looked at goalies.  Part of the reason I guess is I like what the Flyers have in the pipe-line but as you know nothing is a guarantee.  

Yeah, i wasn't deliberately going to look. I was googling for mock drafts and stumbled on top goalie draft prospects.  I bet Hextall spends at least one draft pick on a goalie (in case Hart buys a Porsche...too soon?), but I really haven't been focusing on it.  He'll draft someone and then I'll read all about him on here. Lol

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I bet Hextall spends at least one draft pick on a goalie (in case Hart buys a Porsche...too soon?),

I chuckled when I read that ......   (RIP Pelle)

Anyway ... yeah Hexy has to do due diligence as a "just in case".  Outside of the Round 1 and Round 2, I'll be ready ALOT about Hexy's picks here simply because I don't know the players and/or possible hidden gems.

Since the NHL is becoming more and more about speed ... I want Hexy to draft players who have talent and can skate like the wind. Throw in a D-man here or there and that is what I want out of the draft.  (of course what I want and what the Flyers need and what Hexy knows are miles apart from what I really know ....just saying)

34 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I chuckled when I read that ......   (RIP Pelle)

Anyway ... yeah Hexy has to do due diligence as a "just in case".  Outside of the Round 1 and Round 2, I'll be ready ALOT about Hexy's picks here simply because I don't know the players and/or possible hidden gems.

Since the NHL is becoming more and more about speed ... I want Hexy to draft players who have talent and can skate like the wind. Throw in a D-man here or there and that is what I want out of the draft.  (of course what I want and what the Flyers need and what Hexy knows are miles apart from what I really know ....just saying)

After the first round, with the exception of the very few "maybes" and the couple that fall out, I know nothing. So this mock draft will be an interesting exercise. And I'll be doing some team other than the Flyers, so it'll really be a challenge. 

4 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Sign me up, if the Wings are available they would of course be my druthers, if not any team (s) will do.

Wings have the 6th overall and Vegas's pick which will be either #30 or #31.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm?cat=1&sort=finalRank&year=2018

Just in cas anyone is in need of a good link for prospects, on NHL.com above link.   I hope my copy and past works?

NO IT DID NOT.  But anyway, NHL.com has a good link and breaks it down between North American skaters and goalies and International skaters and goalies.  We are picking the golden boy Dahln from Sweden.  On this mock draft too.  

Hell, you could spend days trying to study all the data.  You will have to click on each player and such and its just a huge job.  I am not getting paid to do it or getting one ounce of consideration from my Sabres so I am going to wing it of course.  Some of you may try to nail it?  Good luck

NHL Central Scouting is a good source, but I find it to be a pain because, unlike some other major scouting sources, they break it up between North American and European players.  It's a great source for looking up writeups on individual players, but I find it more difficult than others for ranking and draft predictions. 

23 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@Hockey Junkie

Yes .. your link worked.  No worries.  And yes this is a good list, I just don't like how they break up the skaters.  Hard to get a true ranking.   Thanks for sharing.......

Yes, you have to do the tedious task of going through each guy and seeing what stats he has.  But raw stats don't always tell the whole story.  You need a crystal ball that works well. 

ps  I guess the name Rasmus in Sweden is like John here?

1 minute ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Always liked Styx.  Saw them in concert

Not trying to derail the topic ... but yeah I saw them too. (3 or 4 times I believe .. they opened for Def Leppard a couple of times).  Always liked Tommy Shaw.  Though I like Dennis DeYoung, IMO he was taking the band in the wrong direction. (Too much pop and broadway grandstaging instead of being a rock band)  Growing up in the 80's who doesn't like "Renegade" one of my all time favorite songs.

Archived