2018-19 Iowa Wild and other Wild Prospects Discussion

pilldoc

Iowa Wild club won tonight over San Antonio Rampage with a score 4:1. Kyle Rau had a multi-point game - 2 goals and 1 assist. So far this season he has the most goals for the team. In 55 played games having 22 goals and 21 assists (43 points). The most impressive part out of him – he has 15 PP goals; and 165 shots on goal already.

Another nice win tonight for the Iowa Wild team with a score 6:3 against Rampage. Team was able to put 5 PP goals out of 8 PP which is a franchise record in Iowa Wild history. Defenseman Brenan Menell repeated his record again by having 5 assists during the game. Sam Anas had multi-point game too - 2 goals and 2 assists as well as Call O’Reilley had 3 assists and Gerald Mayhew had 2 goals.Kyle Ray put 1 goal also and having total 23 goals already this season.

7 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

It's a nice change from yesteryear that the Iowa Wild is competitive. It gives hope that these days of apathy will eventually be over.

It's also nice to see the Wild not calling these guys up at every opportunity "to give them a taste of the NHL..."

• Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

It's also nice to see the Wild not calling these guys up at every opportunity "to give them a taste of the NHL..."

Nice?! You like THAT much what you see on the ice? Lack of effort, selfish plays, going through the motions?

Call up someone and at least you'd get more attitude and desire to play for your spot!

27 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Nice?! You like THAT much what you see on the ice? Lack of effort, selfish plays, going through the motions?

Call up someone and at least you'd get more attitude and desire to play for your spot!

I'd rather see the players in Iowa learn how to fight for a playoff spot and play meaningful minutes in Iowa rather than be called up to the Wild and watch the lackadaisical effort of the so called "leaders" on the Wild. Because that is all they would do, is watch. No one is going to get their ice time cut with the exception of the fourth line, and I'd rather see the Iowa guys play first or second line minutes in Iowa than fourth line minutes in St. Paul.

I'd rather keep the guys in Iowa as far away from the leaders on the Wild for as long as they can until Fenton can figure out someway to light a fire under these guys... 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Great holy hell!!

The Wild actually signed...a ….a RUSSIAN forward!!??

:ph34r:;)

Those such a great news! Actually Alexander Khovanov is a 3rd signed promising prospect with Russian roots. The first one was Lodnia (born in United States but with Ukrainian/Russian roots through his parents), then was Dmitry Sokolov signed last year (he is in our farm club already). Hope, we will see some interesting chemistry, more creativity and more production if they will play together. 

Unfortunately, still remain unsigned with us Kirill  Kaprizov. Hope he will be signed in 2020. I am still thinking that he would like to win first a Gagarin Cup, before he will settle in NHL in the Wild team of Minnesota. Many Russian players dreaming to get a Gagarin Cup during their career. So far CSKA team from Moscow(Kaprizov is playing there) having a lead in games(3:1) over Dynamo Moscow in Western Conference playoffs semifinals. Our other prospect from that team Andrei Svetlakov also having unsigned status with us. Interesting fact, that their CSKA goaltender Iliya Sorokin who was drafted by New York Islanders, I think, had about 10-11 shutouts during the regular season and 2 so far during playoffs series.

7 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Those such a great news! Actually Alexander Khovanov is a 3rd signed promising prospect with Russian roots. The first one was Lodnia (born in United States but with Ukrainian/Russian roots through his parents), then was Dmitry Sokolov signed last year (he is in our farm club already). Hope, we will see some interesting chemistry, more creativity and more production if they will play together. 

Unfortunately, still remain unsigned with us Kirill  Kaprizov. Hope he will be signed in 2020. I am still thinking that he would like to win first a Gagarin Cup, before he will settle in NHL in the Wild team of Minnesota. Many Russian players dreaming to get a Gagarin Cup during their career. So far CSKA team from Moscow(Kaprizov is playing there) having a lead in games(3:1) over Dynamo Moscow in Western Conference playoffs semifinals. Our other prospect from that team Andrei Svetlakov also having unsigned status with us. Interesting fact, that their CSKA goaltender Iliya Sorokin who was drafted by New York Islanders, I think, had about 10-11 shutouts during the regular season and 2 so far during playoffs series.

I've always felt the Wild don't sign ENOUGH Russians.
Lots of good snipers come from Russian roots.

Czech players as well.

I can appreciate Minnesota catering to the largely Scandinavian fanbase with the Swedes and Fins (very good source of players too of course), but I've long felt some diversity was needed with this team.

Some Russian forwards for high end duty...maybe some Czech players to man some bottom six roles (yet they can PLAY like top six guys oftentimes), Czechs on defense....and some good ol raw boned Canadian power forward types.

We should somehow get a good Russian ex-player into the organisation, with the main task of scouting good Russian players and then helping them develop once they are in the NHL. A guy like Datsyuk would be perfect, even a Kasparaitis type perhaps - a former player like that would not be hesitant to show some tough love if need be. Fedorov maybe, but would he be tough enough if need be, and would a guy like that be interested with a good job in the KHL already.

On 3/19/2019 at 6:06 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Great holy hell!!

The Wild actually signed...a ….a RUSSIAN forward!!??

:ph34r:;)

After Maxim Shushinsky got homesick and bailed on the Wild about one month into the 2000 season (and taking his signing bonus with him) I don’t think the Dumpster Doug Risebrough ever looked at another Russian again. And after the KHL got established, I don’t think Fletcher ever really looked at them either. Fletcher always seemed to make safe picks and Russians aren’t safe, especially with the big money of the KHL beckoning if they don’t get their way.

I’m not holding my breath that this kid is going to be anything special. But we’ll see....

The cultural differences between post-Soviet Russia and the US are probably humongous but with time passing and globalisation they are getting smaller. The KHL is a factor pulling the other way though. It's still risky to draft Russians, but if one can solve the riddle of their adjustment the potential rewards are huge.

12 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

After Maxim Shushinsky got homesick and bailed on the Wild about one month into the 2000 season (and taking his signing bonus with him) I don’t think the Dumpster Doug Risebrough ever looked at another Russian again. And after the KHL got established, I don’t think Fletcher ever really looked at them either. Fletcher always seemed to make safe picks...

They did draft another Russian kid that I saw a the WJC at The Ralph in Grand Forks, the year Canada had the super great team full of easy future HOFers.  Don't remember the kid's name but he was on the team with Oveckin and Malkin.  IMO after watching the Wild kid it was obvious he was a dud.  Also read he had a serious vodka problem...

There's three picks here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Minnesota_Wild_draft_picks

All of them players I can't remember from playing for the Russian National team. If a pick is going to have any tangible chance of making the Wild, he really needs to be a standout in the national team.

Roman Voloshenko was the Russian guy I was thinking of.

And I thought Suter was far and away the best American player.  Drew Stafford and Dan Fritsche were the best US forwards.  I was very disappointed in Patrick Sullivan after all the hype about him.  Kessel flashed some big time skill but got hurt.  I was more impressed by Malkin than Ovechkin, but the Canada team was so great and better than any other team there was no doubt would would be  Champions.

Edited by Fargocase

1 hour ago, lynxrattle said:

There's three picks here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Minnesota_Wild_draft_picks

All of them players I can't remember from playing for the Russian National team. If a pick is going to have any tangible chance of making the Wild, he really needs to be a standout in the national team.

The Wild did draft one kid, Mikhail Tyulyapkin, who played for the 2004 Russian Junior National Team with Ovechkin...

But I remember when the Wild drafted that Voloshenko kid too. Everyone was making a big deal about him and "poof", he disappeared after a couple of seasons in Houston...

• Like 1

As more Russian players we will have as better selection we could make and as more interesting team we could build.  I believe those 3 current and signed one (Lodnia, Sokolov, Khovanov) will have a better support and communication if they play next to each other. Like Washington, Dallas, Tampa, St. Louis have 2-3 Russian players in the team, which are pretty competitive to other NHL teams. Let's bring some optimism to the future of the Wild organization, because so far is too depressing to see our team's leapfrogs this season especially on home ice. In my opinion, diversity of players has more benefits for the team than without it. Hope team's management  understand that better than in previous 18 years.  

Some other promising recent stats , according to the last news from Iowa, yesterday our "goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen (24 saves) earned his sixth shutout of the season in the contest, tying Syracuse’s Connor Ingram for most in the AHL". 

• Like 1

We drafted another Russian defenseman once besides Tyulyapkin.  Georgi Misharin...he played a little bit in the OHL if memory serves me correctly and then went back to Russia.  But, the team has mostly avoided Russians until recently.  Sokolov had a great end to end goal last night.  

6 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

We drafted another Russian defenseman once besides Tyulyapkin.  Georgi Misharin...he played a little bit in the OHL if memory serves me correctly and then went back to Russia.  But, the team has mostly avoided Russians until recently.  Sokolov had a great end to end goal last night.  

That's good to hear. Hopefully the young man continues to develop. It would be nice to have a player that was more concerned about scoring a goal than making a pretty play for a change.

I think you really limit yourself in finding good players if you eliminate a certain talent pool because of one reason or another. Risebrough obviously didn't like Russians, and wasn't too keen on collegiate players either. 

How many teams are kicking themselves now because they passed on Anzi Kopitar "because Slovenia isn't really a hockey hotbed..."

Edited by IllaZilla

I think risebourough thought every player should play defense above all else and felt it was too hard to teach defense and that offense could be created from excellent defense. 

But I don’t think he understood scoring is a knack that is hard to teach and hard to come by. 

• Like 1

I don't care where the player is from.  As long as they can help, bury goals and brings speed and works hard each night I am feeling confident I'd want them on my team.  

The Wild have often settled for the safe pick.  The fact that most of our scouting staff is STILL intact at this point concerns me a lot.  I hear P.J. Fenton is running the show now, but the 2019 draft will be telling since its really Fenton's 1st draft he's engineered from the start.  

IMO, Fenton has a ton to prove and this is supposedly his strength so my expectations are pretty high.  If we see another Filip Johansson type of pick...we'll know the old scouts are still running the show.  

I am more worry now about our farm club for making a playoffs this season for the first time. They lost 4 games in a row already. Just do not want to see same repeated scenario as last year when the team lost most of the games in March and April after having a nice chance to get a playoffs spot but did not make it.