2018-19 Iowa Wild and other Wild Prospects Discussion

pilldoc

Sad news continuing. Just finished listening a game between Iowa Wild and Texas Stars(final score is 1:4). It’s our 5th loss in a row (and a 3rd loss in a row on home ice). One single goal was able to put Dmitry Sokolov who is having so far 30 points (16 goals;14 assists) in 57 played games.

That is very worrying indeed. I have high hopes for Kaapo Kahkonen developing into a very skilled goalie, capable of stealing games even in Cup finals. So far in his career he has been winning goalie, even carrying a team by himself for extended time periods. If he is not capable of getting Iowa into playoffs, it's an ominous sign. Either he's injured, achieved the ceiling of his potential, not trained properly or not happy playing in Iowa. Any of these reasons would be very worrying.

These last two losses against Texas were at home.  Now they have to try to get back on track against Tucson who visits early this week.  I watched part of their game on Friday thanks to Bear, and I liked the speed of the team and early on they looked great and then it just kind of fell apart.  

I think Iowa misses Matt Read and Kapla a bit.  I know they have some young college players they have on ATO's, but they really need to get back to their roots.  

Iowa Wild team recorded its 6th losing game streak yesterday. They lost against Tucson in regulation with a score 4:5 on home ice. Menell recorded his 40th assist and Rau his 27th goal(18th PP goal). Tonight it should be a must win game. All they need to win at least 3-4 more games to feel better. No way to lose it again. Enough losing second year in a row at the end of the season. I am surprise that they did not replaced goalie during the game in case if a goalie(Hammond in that game)was losing 4 goals in about 7 minutes period. And that  scenario is happened few times recently for both goalies. I am surprised also that they did not call for Motte’s help who seemed was losing less goals than both current goalies at this moment. Maybe there is too much pressure for them to make a playoffs this season. Not sure. I have feelings if they will not make a playoffs this year then their current coach will be fired as they did with the previous coach at the end of the season last year.

Iowa choked another game away last night.  They were up 3-1 going into the 3rd and lost 4-3 in OT.  Mayhew had a hat trick.  The losing streak is at 7 games and counting and that big cushion they had in the standings is mostly gone now.  

10 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Iowa choked another game away last night.  They were up 3-1 going into the 3rd and lost 4-3 in OT.  Mayhew had a hat trick.  The losing streak is at 7 games and counting and that big cushion they had in the standings is mostly gone now.  

Yeah,7th lost game in a row. Surprised that they put for that game the same goalie Hammond as they did the day before. Hat trick was nice , but not enough for the win.

7 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Yeah,7th lost game in a row. Surprised that they put for that game the same goalie Hammond as they did the day before. Hat trick was nice , but not enough for the win.

Hammond again, and keep losing. Worrying, very worrying. No confidence in Kähkönen, or Kähkönen hurt? Damn, the Finnish reporters covering the NHL should make a detour and interview him to maybe get some inside information on what the problem/problems are.

We are losing again 0:2 after the first period against Milwaukee Admirals. Kahkonen is in the net tonight. Admirals stats in the last 10 games are 8-0-1-1, and ours are 2-7-1-0, including last 7 losses. 2 other teams reached us too with 81 points. What is going on with our 2 clubs in the month of March and April this season? No one was able to step up to get our teams to the playoffs spot. I think we are badly need at least a different goaltender to help boosting teams confidence.

1 hour ago, Alexandron said:

We are losing again 0:2 after the first period against Milwaukee Admirals. Kahkonen is in the net tonight. Admirals stats in the last 10 games are 8-0-1-1, and ours are 2-7-1-0, including last 7 losses. 2 other teams reached us too with 81 points. What is going on with our 2 clubs in the month of March and April this season? No one was able to step up to get our teams to the playoffs spot. I think we are badly need at least a different goaltender to help boosting teams confidence.

I thought Kahkonen was supposed to be the savior...

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I thought Kahkonen was supposed to be the savior...

Another one bites the dust. There's probably a flaw in his game, that the other teams figured out after the shutouts.

3 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

8 losses in a row now has Iowa on the outside looking in on the playoffs right now.  This team better figure it out and quick otherwise its going to be another early off season for this club.  

LIG. I agree. Probably is too little too late already. I was proposing to bring a different goaltender Motte before. Now is probably too late for his call. I am disappointing with that team too same way as with the big club this year . What kind of team is that, if lost already 8 games in a row right before the playoffs season starting? Are any winning mentality left in their players brains? Is anybody out of about 30 players capable to step up and lead the team to get at least to the playoffs? Or we will see a 6th year unsuccessful attempt for the farm club to make a playoffs  was stopped this year the exactly same way as ours 6th year playoffs participation was stopped for the big club ?

Yeah, no doubt Leipold, Suter, Parise, Mikko's fault! They made the minor league team lose!

And of course Doobie's fault the flash in the pan goalie was just a flash.  Doobie played too many games! If the kid had been promoted to the NHL prematurely like the clueless DoobieHater69 demanded he would have been the next Ken Dryden!

Edited by Fargocase
  • Uggh... 1

Minnesota Wild reassigns Donato, Kunin, and Greenway to Iowa. Hope it will boost some production and the team's mentality towards winning of remaining last 3 games of the season.

Here is a link to read about it:

https://www.iowawild.com/news/detail/minnesota-wild-reassigns-donato-greenway-kunin-to-iowa

2 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Minnesota Wild reassigns Donato, Kunin, and Greenway to Iowa. Hope it will boost some production and the team's mentality towards winning of remaining last 3 games of the season.

Here is a link to read about it:

https://www.iowawild.com/news/detail/minnesota-wild-reassigns-donato-greenway-kunin-to-iowa

After the team missed the NHL playoffs they should have sent those guys to Iowa. They might have helped stop the skid a few games earlier. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

After the team missed the NHL playoffs they should have sent those guys to Iowa. They might have helped stop the skid a few games earlier. 

I'm not sure why they waited so long after the season to send them down to Iowa.

On 4/9/2019 at 7:39 PM, IllaZilla said:

Agreed. We still have a chance if we will be able to win the last 2 games of the season.

We had a nice win(7:3) 2 days ago by beating a second team in our Division - Grand Rapids Griffins.
Wild reinforcement (Donato, Kunin,Greenway) were the main contributors(11 points out of 18) in that game. Donato had 5 points(2 goals;3 assists); Kunin had 4 points(3 goals;1 assist); Greenway - 2 points(2 assists). Tonight we are playing on home ice against the first team in our Division - Chicago Wolves. No doubt is a must win game.

2 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Very promising!

Another promise is happening also in KHL Gagarin Cup playoffs now. Our 2 unsigned yet prospects Kirill Kaprizov and Andrei Svetlakov together with CSKA team, Moscow have won a 2nd year in a row a Western Conference finals of the Gagarin Cup by beating a 2 times champions SKA team, Saint Petersburg(in 7 games) and advanced to the Gagarin Cup finals again. Both players improved their playoffs records - Kaprizov (in 15 games) has 3 goals and 9 assists;+/- +2 and Svetlakov (in 14 games) has 1 goal and 6 assists; +/- +6. As well as both having a pretty nice playoffs experience by achieving in 2 years in a row Gagarin Cup finals.

1 hour ago, Alexandron said:

Another promise is happening also in KHL Gagarin Cup playoffs now. Our 2 unsigned yet prospects Kirill Kaprizov and Andrei Svetlakov together with CSKA team, Moscow have won a 2nd year in a row a Western Conference finals of the Gagarin Cup by beating a 2 times champions SKA team, Saint Petersburg(in 7 games) and advanced to the Gagarin Cup finals again. Both players improved their playoffs records - Kaprizov (in 15 games) has 3 goals and 9 assists;+/- +2 and Svetlakov (in 14 games) has 1 goal and 6 assists; +/- +6. As well as both having a pretty nice playoffs experience by achieving in 2 years in a row Gagarin Cup finals.

I would make a pitch for the goalie Ilya sorokin from the same team : iles own his rights 

Defenceman : Vladislav Gavrikov( SKA St. Petersburg) columbus has his rights

get one russian here the rest will follow both players 23 years old

i will be watching khl finals 👁️ if all links i find work

On 4/12/2019 at 2:46 PM, wildstars95 said:

I would make a pitch for the goalie Ilya sorokin from the same team : iles own his rights 

Defenceman : Vladislav Gavrikov( SKA St. Petersburg) columbus has his rights

get one russian here the rest will follow both players 23 years old

i will be watching khl finals 👁️ if all links i find work

CSKA team,Moscow won today the first game in Gagarin Cup finals against Avangard team,Omsk with a score of 5:2. Svetlakov put a pretty nice goal on a second minute of the 1st period. He played together with Kaprizov in that line.

Iowa Wild team won a difficult last game in OT against Chicago Wolves (2:1). Both goals were put by our captain - Cal O'Reilly. We still have a chance to get into playoffs if we will win tonight game against Rockford IceHogs and Chicago Wolves will win one of the last 2 games against of Manitoba Moose.

I just finished listening our last Iowa Wild game of the regular 2018-2019 year and we won it with a shutout 3:0. That means according to a radio commentator we are for the first time in Iowa Wild history have got into the playoffs. The other teams which are competitive around us for the Calder Cup playoffs spot are still in a battle. Congrats to our farm club waiting for that franchise day 6 years already!!!