2018-19 Iowa Wild and other Wild Prospects Discussion

pilldoc

55 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Here is the protected list Fletcher submitted:

Forwards: Charlie Coyle, Mikael Granlund, Mikko Koivu, Nino Niederreiter, Zach Parise, Jason Pominville, Jason Zucker

Defensemen: Jonas Brodin, Jared Spurgeon, Ryan Suter

Goaltenders: Devan Dubnyk

AVAILABLE PLAYERS

Forwards: Brady Brassart, Patrick Cannone, Ryan Carter, Kurtis Gabriel, Martin Hanzal, Erik Haula, Zack Mitchell, Jordan Schroeder, Eric Staal, Chris Stewart, Ryan White.

Defensemen: Victor Bartley, Matt Dumba, Christian Folin, Guillaume Gelinas, Alexander Gudbranson, Gustav Olofsson, Nate Prosser, Marco Scandella, Mike Weber.

Goaltenders: Johan Gustafsson, Darcy Kuemper, Alex Stalock.

He could have protected Dumba instead of Brodin and NOT given up Tuch. Tuch was not eligible for selection since he was only a first year professional. He was traded to Vegas so Vegas would not select Dumba.

I would have protected Dumba, exposed Brodin, and not traded Tuch.

Without any 20/20 hindsight.

If you say so, I believe you.  I just don't remember it.  But lots of people were desperate to protect Brodin.

48 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

So Haula was traded for what?

Haula wasn't traded for anything.  The price to protect other Wild players was Tuch.  Haula was going to be gone regardless.  Tuch was the value, Haula was essentially a throw in.

1 minute ago, Fargocase said:

Haula wasn't traded for anything.  The price to protect other Wild players was Tuch.  Haula was going to be gone regardless.  Tuch was the value, Haula was essentially a throw in.

That was my point! Idiot flefcher thought so much of Dumba that he was willing to give up 2 players rather than put Dumba on the protected list.

I think it was a bird in hand scenario.   Tuch was still just a prospect.  Contrary to Wild organization propaganda, the Wild was desperately thin on D.  There were only four decent Dmen, the Wild couldn't afford to lose any of the four.  So they sacrificed the prospect, which in retrospect was a BIG mistake.

If the Wild had ranked their Dmen, IMO Dumba would have ranked ahead of Brodin.   I agree with KA, I would have just bit the bullet and sacrificed Brodin.

You have to remember, the Wild had a pretty good roster at the time and aspirations of contending.   Tuch was a future player, Brodin and Dumba were key pieces.   They hadn't given up on Coyle, Zucker or Nino yet.  Again, Fletcher did not have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.   IMO it's obvious sacrificing Tuch was a huge mistake, but they had Greenway looking like he'd fill the big, strong Forward role.

4 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Not being an ass, but what would you have done? 

I would have let Bridin go.  He's very over rated by Will fans IMO.  Poor offensive production and shies away from physical contact.  He's a beautiful skater but no grit.

I did like Scadella's grit but IMO he's a great 3rd Pair guy but an expensive, below average 2nd Pait guy.  IMO his Cap Hit necessitated his departure.

Personally, I liked Haula but IMO Yeo grossly mis-used him.  Demoting Haula for lumbering oaf Hanzal was a huge mistake and destroyed the chemistry of the team.  I believe Haula had no chance to stay with the Wild but that his leaving hurt the team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fargocase said:

I would have let Bridin go.  He's very over rated by Will fans IMO.  Poor offensive production and shies away from physical contact.  He's a beautiful skater but no grit.

I did like Scadella's grit but IMO he's a great 3rd Pair guy but an expensive, below average 2nd Pait guy.  IMO his Cap Hit necessitated his departure.

Personally, I liked Haula but IMO Yeo grossly mis-used him.  Demoting Haula for lumbering oaf Hanzal was a huge mistake and destroyed the chemistry of the team.  I believe Haula had no chance to stay with the Wild but that his leaving hurt the team.

Great minds think alike. I too would have exposed Brodin. He reminds me of Nick Schultz. A decent defenseman but that's about it. I don't think losing him would have hurt the Wild that much.

And for the Wild always whining they are short of centers, why let a young guy like Haula go? He was an RFA, and so what if he had arbitration rights? You sign him for a one year deal and solidify yourself down the middle. 

Now you managed to keep Dumba, Haula, and Tuch. and only gave up Brodin. And for a team that has historically had trouble scoring, you potentially added to your fire power...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2019 at 3:09 PM, IllaZilla said:

Personally, I liked Haula but IMO Yeo grossly mis-used him.  Demoting Haula for lumbering oaf Hanzal was a huge mistake and destroyed the chemistry of the team.

Actually BB was coach when that happened. But IMO that was not BB's decision--that came from GMCF.

That was two separate thoughts.   I guess I should have separated them.

I also agree that BB didn't have a choice, he had to play Hanzal or it would have been a huge insult against Fletch.  BUT my guess is BB had input on the deal.  BB coached in Anaheim and saw Hanzal vs Getslaff in many, many games.

• 2 weeks later...

Our Wild prospect Kirill Kaprizov was included into the team of Russia for participation at the World Hockey Championship of 2019, which is going to start soon in Slovakia on May, 10. IMO he will get very nice experience because he is going to play together with a most Russian NHL professionals - Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Kucherov, Kuznetsov, Orlov, Anisimov as well as with a very promising now Vegas player Gusev and some other Russian NHLers and KHLers. 
Our young forward Kevin Fiala was included to a Switzerland team there.
And our Wild veteran defenseman Ryan Suter is going to play for the US team as well.
It seems teams from Canada, USA, Russia, and the Chech Republic having the strongest rosters this year. And teams from Sweden and Finland also bringing surprises too.
Here is a link about rosters  and a schedule to read:

https://www.nhl.com/news/2019-world-championship-hockey-schedule-rosters/c-307246548

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 11:47 AM, Fargocase said:

That was two separate thoughts.   I guess I should have separated them.

I also agree that BB didn't have a choice, he had to play Hanzal or it would have been a huge insult against Fletch.  BUT my guess is BB had input on the deal.  BB coached in Anaheim and saw Hanzal vs Getslaff in many, many games.

And for the most part saw Getzlaff eating Hanzal's lunch. BB didn't think all that highly of Hanzal.

23 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Our Wild prospect Kirill Kaprizov was included into the team of Russia for participation at the World Hockey Championship of 2019, which is going to start soon in Slovakia on May, 10. IMO he will get very nice experience because he is going to play together with a most Russian NHL professionals - Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Kucherov, Kuznetsov, Orlov, Anisimov as well as with a very promising now Vegas player Gusev and some other Russian NHLers and KHLers. 
Our young forward Kevin Fiala was included to a Switzerland team there.
And our Wild veteran defenseman Ryan Suter is going to play for the US team as well.
It seems teams from Canada, USA, Russia, and the Chech Republic having the strongest rosters this year. And teams from Sweden and Finland also bringing surprises too.
Here is a link about rosters  and a schedule to read:

https://www.nhl.com/news/2019-world-championship-hockey-schedule-rosters/c-307246548

I am guessing Kaprisov is licking his chops at the prospect of facing that old cement truck, Ryan Suter.  Should be easy pickings  I wonder why Suter keeps getting picked for these National Showcases (he must turn it up when he is not on the Wild, where he just plays for a paycheck, not pride).

10 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

I am guessing Kaprisov is licking his chops at the prospect of facing that old cement truck, Ryan Suter.  Should be easy pickings  I wonder why Suter keeps getting picked for these National Showcases (he must turn it up when he is not on the Wild, where he just plays for a paycheck, not pride).

Because he coasts so much during the NHL season he has plenty left in the gas tank for these tournaments...

• Like 1

Kevin Fiala had his 4th goal on IIHF World Championship in a game against a team from Austria, which just finished recently. Switzerland team is doing well there - 3 wins already. Kevin put a very nice goal into the net just below the goaltender's bottle, which flied away like a bird from the nest. You can see it on a Fiala's goal reply from that link:

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2019/wm/gamecenter/playbyplay/4200/24-sui-vs-aut

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2019 at 5:55 AM, lynxrattle said:

It is going to be great to see how Kaprizov compares to all those Russian NHL stars 😎

It seems Kaprizov did pretty well there. I am glad that he received a good experience around those Russian NHL stars.

Congrats to the all fans from Finland as well as to Lonkkis and to you Lynxrattle – today your team was able to beat a nice Russian team in an extremely tough game in semifinals with a score 1:0. From my observations for decades a Finland team is always bringing surprises. This tournament was not an exception too - they were able to win over a Canada team during the 1st game and over a Russia team in semifinals. And it seems it does not matter at all in those championships if the team was built from exclusively or NHL,KHL,AHL or from other leagues players. Probably an extreme motivation to win and to get medals(especially gold) is the main part in those surprising tournaments results. Nice examples were the teams last year from Switzerland during the World Championship and a Germany team during Olympics. Both teams got a silver medals respectively.

A second semifinal game between a Canada and a Czech Republic teams just started recently. So far score is 1:0 for a Canada team.

Draft season is coming soon. After watching and analyzing the link about the 10 worst #1 overall draft picks of all times, I am thinking more that the Wild organization should always look for number #1 draft (overall or not overall it really does not matter) exclusively for the most promising highly scoring available forward player, but not a defenseman or a goaltender. Last year it was a huge surprise for our fans what did we picked as a #1 draft – a defenseman, who disappeared from any hockey world radars – NHL, AHL, and from a Sweden league.

Here is link below about the 10 worst #1 overall draft picks of all times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbkpLbXBtmU

• 2 weeks later...

Wild acquires rights to a Russian defenseman  20 y.o. Fedor  Gordeev, who played   before in OHL. It seems he is having a  pretty good size (6'7"; 224-pound player) and  some nice future promise for the Wild.

Here is a link to read about him:

https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/minnesota-wild-acquires-rights-to-fedor-gordeev-053019/c-307614870

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Did anyone notice that Matt Hendricks is now a player development coach for the Minnesota Wild?  

Yeah, saw Russo's tweet about it yesterday. Unfortunately, the Wild need more character guys inside the locker room rather than outside the locker room...

• Like 1