2018-19 Iowa Wild and other Wild Prospects Discussion

pilldoc

12 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Caught third period at sports bar. Monday night football on most screens but one tuned to Jets broadcast. Lines were changed quite a bit but generally I saw:

Ek-Greenway-Coyle

Kloos-Rau-Anas

Foligno-Hendricks-Brown

Lodnia-Fehr-Nino

Defense: Ole-Pateryn

Bartkowski-Delpedio

Seeler-Murphy

Greenway line was strong. Hendricks had lone goal. Kloos played well. Brown did nothing for me. Lodnia looked fast.

Ole Patyrn worked well together. Bartkowski had solid breakout passes. Seeler and Lemiuex fought to a draw. Murphy nice hands and escape moves. Ham solid in net.

Hammond had a pretty good game.  Greenway, Eriksson Ek and Coyle protected the puck ok, but they stayed to the perimeter which kind of defeats the purpose of having a bunch of big bodied forwards on one line.  The Lodnia-Niederreiter line looked lost most of the time.  Hendricks was ok.  Pateryn looked slow and perhaps even troubling...not strong enough to keep people from working their way into the tough areas of the ice.  Look at Marko Dano's goal...the player worked to the front of the net and Patyern couldn't stop him.  He lacked the quickness to stay with him.  It reminded me a lot of Kyle Quincey.  Bartkowski was ok though.  Seeler looked like a punching bag in his 'fight' with Claude Lemieux's kid.  Best line was Rau, Anas and Kloos by far.  Fast and clearly good chemistry after playing last season together in Iowa.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Even the Athletic says #mnwild fans have nothing to look forward to with prospects under the age of 23 since Kaprizov is for sure in the KHL two more seasons.  Check it out.  

Check out where the Wild rank folks (if you have an Athletic subscription)

Yikes!  Dead last in the league!   The ghosts of the Moulson, Stewart and Hanzal trades continue to haunt the Wild.   

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

16 minutes ago, 4Check said:

Yikes!  Dead last in the league!   The ghosts of the Moulson, Stewart and Hanzal trades continue to haunt the Wild.   

You forgot the mediocre drafting. One of the Athletic articles had the Wild farm system like 18th or thereabouts, but the only reason they were that high was because of the promise of Kaprizov. Without him, the article states the Wild would have been much lower. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

You forgot the mediocre drafting. One of the Athletic articles had the Wild farm system like 18th or thereabouts, but the only reason they were that high was because of the promise of Kaprizov. Without him, the article states the Wild would have been much lower. 

No doubt, although when you give up 5 first and second round picks over a short time period, your odds of success are obviously obliterated.

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

I can't say such an assessment is unfair at all...

10 hours ago, 4Check said:

No doubt, although when you give up 5 first and second round picks over a short time period, your odds of success are obviously obliterated.

That still doesn’t change the fact that when they did have first and second round draft picks, they still drafted mediocre prospects: Olofsson, Kunin, Eriksson-Ek, Bussierres, etc. 

11 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

And with him they are still much lower.  I just read through Corey Pronman''s latest ranking of NHL teams by their U23 core.  This includes both roster players and prospects. Minnesota finished dead last behind Pittsburgh.  Edmonton was #1 and Flyers #15.

31. Minnesota Wild

U23 Core: Kirill Kaprizov, Luke Kunin, Joel Eriksson Ek, Jordan Greenway, Ivan Lodnia, Jack McBain, Mason Shaw, Gustav Olofsson, Andrei Svetlakov, Filip Johansson

That former great young Wild core of Mikael Granlund, Charlie Coyle, Jonas Brodin, Jason Zucker and Mathew Dumba have grown up into their mid 20s. Since then, they’ve made some first-round picks, traded some other picks in an attempt to win and traded Alex Tuch. Kaprizov is a big piece (when he does come over to North America) and I think the Wild have a few decent NHLers in this group, but I don’t see many other impact guys.

https://theathletic.com/528780/2018/09/18/pronman-ranking-nhl-teams-by-their-u23-core/

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

That still doesn’t change the fact that when they did have first and second round draft picks, they still drafted mediocre prospects: Olofsson, Kunin, Eriksson-Ek, Bussierres, etc. 

Of course hindsight in drafting is an easy exercise.  I still contend that overall drafts, which historically outside the top 10 leave you with far less than 50 percent chance of success,  become even more problematic when you trade away a significant share of your top 2 picks.

8 minutes ago, 4Check said:

Of course hindsight in drafting is an easy exercise.  I still contend that overall drafts, which historically outside the top 10 leave you with far less than 50 percent chance of success,  become even more problematic when you trade away a significant share of your top 2 picks.

I think we're arguing two different points.

I agree, trading away 1st and 2nd round picks will lower a teams odds of landing an NHL caliber player.

But I'm arguing that even when the team has those draft picks they continually shoot for the player that is the safe pick, ok at everything but not great at anything.  

And teams can do Ok outside the top ten. Not great but better than 50%.

Year Pick 1 to 5 Pick 6 to 10 Pick 11 to 15 Pick 16 to 20 Pick 21 to 25 Pick 26 to 30 Round 2 Round 3 Rounds 4 to 7 Total
2000 5 1 1 3 4 3 12 3 14 46
2001 3 3 4 4 3 2 8 6 26 59
2002 5 4 4 3 5 1 9 5 14 50
2003 5 5 4 5 4 4 13 6 23 69
2004 5 2 3 4 2 4 9 9 23 61
2005 5 4 2 2 3 2 8 6 18 50
2006 5 5 4 2 3 1 9 5 8 42
2007 5 4 4 1 3 2 4 4 13 40
2008 5 4 2 4 1 2 7 5 14 44
2009 5 4 5 3 2 1 8 5 12 45
2010 5 4 2 2 3 3 7 2 5 33
Total 53 40 35 33 33 25 94 56 170  
% 96% 73% 64% 60% 60% 45% 28% 17% 13%  

This is based on 200+ games played equates to being an NHL player. The Wild tend to pick in that 16-20 range, which equates to about a 60% success rate...

21 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I think we're arguing two different points.

I agree, trading away 1st and 2nd round picks will lower a teams odds of landing an NHL caliber player.

But I'm arguing that even when the team has those draft picks they continually shoot for the player that is the safe pick, ok at everything but not great at anything.  

And teams can do Ok outside the top ten. Not great but better than 50%.

Year Pick 1 to 5 Pick 6 to 10 Pick 11 to 15 Pick 16 to 20 Pick 21 to 25 Pick 26 to 30 Round 2 Round 3 Rounds 4 to 7 Total
2000 5 1 1 3 4 3 12 3 14 46
2001 3 3 4 4 3 2 8 6 26 59
2002 5 4 4 3 5 1 9 5 14 50
2003 5 5 4 5 4 4 13 6 23 69
2004 5 2 3 4 2 4 9 9 23 61
2005 5 4 2 2 3 2 8 6 18 50
2006 5 5 4 2 3 1 9 5 8 42
2007 5 4 4 1 3 2 4 4 13 40
2008 5 4 2 4 1 2 7 5 14 44
2009 5 4 5 3 2 1 8 5 12 45
2010 5 4 2 2 3 3 7 2 5 33
Total 53 40 35 33 33 25 94 56 170  
% 96% 73% 64% 60% 60% 45% 28% 17% 13%  

This is based on 200+ games played equates to being an NHL player. The Wild tend to pick in that 16-20 range, which equates to about a 60% success rate...

I agree.  In the first round, the Wild have virtually always gone with the safe pick.   In hindsight, it's rarely been the best pick, but I would also note that because it's not the best pick, doesn't necessarily make it a bad pick.   IMO, I can't come to the conclusion that JEE, Kunin & Tuch were bad picks

8 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

What do you expect when they are drafting in the bottom 1/2 of the 1st round every year???  In a normal draft year, if you get a 2nd/3rd liner in the 2nd half of the 1st round, you've done OK.

Feel bad for Olofsson. (Another shoulder injury). Makes you wonder if he's just prone to shoulder injuries or unlucky. He's a slender lad. I actually liked his game, especially his ability to carry the puck safely out of his zone or make the first pass. Seeler will likely get that bottom-pairing left side slot, although hopefully he earns it. Otherwise I'd rather see Seeler as a top-two minute muncher in Iowa.

On 9/20/2018 at 3:18 PM, Icechipper said:

Feel bad for Olofsson. (Another shoulder injury). Makes you wonder if he's just prone to shoulder injuries or unlucky. He's a slender lad. I actually liked his game, especially his ability to carry the puck safely out of his zone or make the first pass. Seeler will likely get that bottom-pairing left side slot, although hopefully he earns it. Otherwise I'd rather see Seeler as a top-two minute muncher in Iowa.

I don't really feel bad for him.  Its a lot like Tyler Cuma, lots of woulda coulda shoulda and terribly injury prone.  With Cuma it was his knees and with Olofsson his shoulder is the weakest part of his frail body.  He may have some talent, albeit the bland Jonas Brodin variety but you can't rely on him to stay healthy.  IMO, he's probably done with the Wild because who really would want an injury prone, finesse defender with limited offensive skills?  Considering his injury history, it was totally moronic to give him a 1-way deal.    

Seeler is STILL the most physical Wild defender, even with Pateryn in the lineup.  IMO Seeler is a lock to make the team; Boudreau loves his combative style.  

47 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I don't really feel bad for him.  Its a lot like Tyler Cuma, lots of woulda coulda shoulda and terribly injury prone.  With Cuma it was his knees and with Olofsson his shoulder is the weakest part of his frail body.  He may have some talent, albeit the bland Jonas Brodin variety but you can't rely on him to stay healthy.  IMO, he's probably done with the Wild because who really would want an injury prone, finesse defender with limited offensive skills?  Considering his injury history, it was totally moronic to give him a 1-way deal.    

Seeler is STILL the most physical Wild defender, even with Pateryn in the lineup.  IMO Seeler is a lock to make the team; Boudreau loves his combative style.  

Well, somebody needs to stick up for this team other than Prosser...

Question: Though Seeler has a "one-way," cannot he be passed through waivers to Iowa w/out risking his being taken by another team? Ole's injury might be short term benefit as I doubt Prosser, Pateryn, Murphy and Bartkowski would all slide to Iowa w/out one being claimed by another squad. Reason Seeler could slide is his entry-level deal. Correct me if I'm off base there. Brousseau sounds like he likes Seeler and Bartkowski. Like the coach I was surprised at how strong a skater Bartow ski is. Pateryn might be the lead-foot in that logjam.

1 hour ago, Icechipper said:

Question: Though Seeler has a "one-way," cannot he be passed through waivers to Iowa w/out risking his being taken by another team? Ole's injury might be short term benefit as I doubt Prosser, Pateryn, Murphy and Bartkowski would all slide to Iowa w/out one being claimed by another squad. Reason Seeler could slide is his entry-level deal. Correct me if I'm off base there. Brousseau sounds like he likes Seeler and Bartkowski. Like the coach I was surprised at how strong a skater Bartow ski is. Pateryn might be the lead-foot in that logjam.

Seeler isn't on an entry-level contract.

1 hour ago, Icechipper said:

According to CapFriendly.com Seeler not on an entry level deal, but he is waivers exempt. So yes, the Wild could send hm to Iowa and not lose him to a waiver claim. 

On 9/23/2018 at 3:41 PM, IllaZilla said:

According to CapFriendly.com Seeler not on an entry level deal, but he is waivers exempt. So yes, the Wild could send hm to Iowa and not lose him to a waiver claim. 

Close to a lock Prosser and Murphy would clear waivers.  Bartkowski highly likely would.  No way Paterym would IMO.

Seeler earned a regular gig last year, it's his to lose.  Then didn't throw the money at Pateryn to sit him so there's your 3rd pair Dmen.   Bartkowski passed thru waivers.  Pretty sure Murphy passed through waivers several times last year, no reason to think he wouldn't again.   Prosser was a league Min UFA.  Is he even signed to a one way contract for this year?  Doubt anyone would take him, either.  I expect Murphy to be sent down, you already have two small offensive defenseman on the roster - Spurgie and Dumba.  Prosser can be the designated popcorn eater on the roster.  If Dumba or Spurgie go down, then bring up Wrong Ryan.

Edited by Fargocase

I think Prosser has more than earned the right to stick with the club!  While he is completely unspectacular, he is solid and dependable and by all accounts a great teammate.  The team never skips a beat when he is pressed into duty.  In fact, they often play better.

On 9/18/2018 at 5:54 PM, 4Check said:

Stewart was not traded, he was put on waivers.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:16 AM, IllaZilla said:

All the more reason to accumulate as many draft picks as you can. Maybe the blind squirrel can find an acorn with enough chances.

The first Iowa Wild team's goal this new season team have got from Sokolov. In 2 preseason games he has 1 goal so far. My prediction for him - at least 20 goals this season.
Regular season Iowa Wild will start on October,5.
Our other promising prospect Khovanov, probably, will have a significant improvement at the Moncton Wildcats this year. Last season he had 9 goals and 19 assists (total 28 points; +/- -1) in 29 games there. So far , this year, he already started with 2 goals and 1 assist in 3 games. Predicting for him at least 20 goals for this season. Sadly, he was not included into any preseason games with the Wild big club.
Presenting an interest also our prospect Ivan Lodnia, who already having a success for Niagara Ice Dogs Team. So far in 4 games he is having 5 points (3 goals; 2 assists, +/ - -1.) Hoping again out of him a significant improvement , at least 30 goals this season.

4 hours ago, DevinWieser said:

Stewart was not traded, he was put on waivers.

My reference was directed towards players acquired not traded away.   Stewart was originally acquired from Buffa!o for a 2nd rd. 

pick.