2018-19 Iowa Wild and other Wild Prospects Discussion

pilldoc

Good news. The Iowa Wild team established a new record in their history this season. For the first time they won with a high score 8:1. In 2 games of the opening season (2-0-0) the team is on the 1st place in AHL with a record of 12 goals( they put  into the net) vs 2 goals( they missed). Hammond (goaltender)  played superb too. The first Wild team's record was a win (4:1) of the game opener for the first time since the team moved to Iowa in 2013.

• 2 weeks later...

And just to add an update to Alexandron's report.  Iowa dropped both games to the Texas Stars this weekend in Austin, TX.  Kaapo Kahkonen got his first start and by most accounts did a reasonable job.  

On another note...Connor Dewar is off to a great start for Everett #WHL, and Damien Giroux is playing really well for Saginaw #OHL.  Shawn Boudrias in Gatineau #QMJHL has cooled off from his hot start.  Nick Swaney (Minnesota-Duluth, NCHC) keeps piling up shots, but not points.  Alexander Khovanov in Moncton #QMJHL is doing ok, but he still is lousy on his draws.  

• Like 2

Iowa Wild official website published a nice article about Dmitry Sokolov. So far in 4 played games he has 3 assists for the Iowa Wild team. I am hoping he will improve his statistics with a time. In shots he already started to shoot more every game. Here is a link to read about him:

https://www.iowawild.com/news/detail/dmitry-sokolov-blends-passion-and-skill-into-drive-to-play-professional-hockey

I would like also to mention about our other prospect Ivan Lodnia stats for Niagara IceDogs - in 12 games he has 4 goals and 9 assists this season.

Texas Stars is a tough team to play against(4-1-1-1). They lost only one game in regulation. Iowa Wild team was lucky to win in SO one game out of 3 games against them.

Edited by Alexandron

2 hours ago, Fargocase said:

Thanks for the link!   Your fondness for the fat Russian kid is infectious!  

One thing I do believe, goal scoring is in large part a gift and apparently this kid has the knack!

Thanks Fargo, I do really believe that this kid will have a solid professional future in NHL. In my opinion he is a pretty hard working machine.  Agree too - goal scoring is in a large part a gift. Hope he will contribute well for our Wild organization for years and not be traded somewhere else.  Interesting he is a first Russian player in Iowa Wild team's history. After reading that article, still I am thinking for a better communication chemistry Dmitry will need a couple more Russian speaking players in a Wild sweater. He built a pretty nice communication chemistry with Andrei Svechnikov in OHL, then after with our prospect Alexander Khovanov at the Traverse City Tournament and at our training camp this summer. Still native language communication is a huge part for some players to feel comfy  and do not feel alone in the team. 

21 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Thanks Fargo, I do really believe that this kid will have a solid professional future in NHL. In my opinion he is a pretty hard working machine.  Agree too - goal scoring is in a large part a gift. Hope he will contribute well for our Wild organization for years and not be traded somewhere else.  Interesting he is a first Russian player in Iowa Wild team's history. After reading that article, still I am thinking for a better communication chemistry Dmitry will need a couple more Russian speaking players in a Wild sweater. He built a pretty nice communication chemistry with Andrei Svechnikov in OHL, then after with our prospect Alexander Khovanov at the Traverse City Tournament and at our training camp this summer. Still native language communication is a huge part for some players to feel comfy  and do not feel alone in the team. 

He could get a interpreter like Artemi Panarin.

My sources tell me Sokolov still has a LOT to learn.  He hasn't done much since those first few games.  

On the bright side...

Sam Hentges netted a hat trick against Boston College last night as St. Cloud State DESTROYED Boston College 7-0 IN Boston.  

Meanwhile Jack McBain played in his first game and was a -2 with no shots on goal.  

The last few years the Wild have had to trim down their middle of the road FA signings in order to retain players like Coyle, Granlund, Nino, Zucker, Spurgeon... And in essence they're pretty much forced to get dirt cheap older players straining to keep playing.

Bargain dwellers to say the least.

Tweak, tweak tweak.

Going into this season available cap space wasn't even marginal. Their Cup bid has a huge crack in it. Who has hopes of what next years roster will look like?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a nice link from our main Wild webpage about our prospects across the ocean – last weekend Fenton traveled to Russia for a meeting with Kirill Kaprizov, his family and ,probably, with Andrei Svetlakov. Hope, meeting there will be useful and promising. I am guessing that we will know results about that travel the week after, because Fenton is planning to spend the whole week there.

https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/fenton-russia-kaprizov-110218/c-301555846

At this moment we have one the most improving prospect among all our Wild prospects this season - Alexander Khovanov (10 goals,12 assists, +/- +4 in 18 games), who is playing for Moncton Wildcats.
Here is a link from Oct.30 to read some about him:

http://moncton-wildcats.com/article/alex-khovanov-added-to-russian-roster-for-the-2018-cibc-canada-russia-series

• Like 1

I would like to mention our prospect Dmitry Sokolov, who had  2 goals last game against Bakersfield Condors team. Unfortunately , Iowa Wild team lost that game with a score 3:4. So far he has 7 points (2 goals, 5 assists, 20 shots , +/- +3) in 8 games.

Here is a link about his stats:

https://theahl.com/stats/player/6726

2 hours ago, Fargocase said:

So far they're leaving Kunin there.   I don't follow the AHL stats so my guess is he isn't tearing it up on the ice or on the stat sheet.

9 games, 3 goals, 4 assists, -3, 11PIM (4th highest on team)

Not good enough to unseat any of the four centers currently on the roster. Or anyone else on the upper lines where he would need to play. Better to leave him in Iowa getting top line minutes rather than sitting in the press box or playing on the third line...

I’m still not convinced he’s anything special, but we’ll see...

Edited by IllaZilla
  • Thanks 1

On 11/13/2018 at 8:12 PM, IllaZilla said:

9 games, 3 goals, 4 assists, -3, 11PIM (4th highest on team)

Not good enough to unseat any of the four centers currently on the roster. Or anyone else on the upper lines where he would need to play. Better to leave him in Iowa getting top line minutes rather than sitting in the press box or playing on the third line...

I’m still not convinced he’s anything special, but we’ll see...

I agree.  He did score last night though.  Mason Shaw has looked good.  Rau still has consistently been one of Iowa's best players each night.  He and Cal O'Reilly.  

The last (and only) Iowa Wild's nominee's were Teemu Pulkkinen, Jordan Schoeder and Jeremy Smith, AHL career men all of them. So as a token of Wild's player development this means very little although none of those guys were drafted by the Wild. Could Kahkonen be Wild's trailblazer?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

The last (and only) Iowa Wild's nominee's were Teemu Pulkkinen, Jordan Schoeder and Jeremy Smith, AHL career men all of them. So as a token of Wild's player development this means very little although none of those guys were drafted by the Wild. Could Kahkonen be Wild's trailblazer?

Hockey-78.I think he will be a trailblazer and I believe, he will make a new history for the Wild's both clubs. It seems a very talented goaltender. None of the Iowa Wild goaltenders before did 3 shutouts in a row in the team's history.

Temper the expectations, he's a good goalie but still young. Goalies takes the longest to fully blossom because they need the mind trained properly.

We recently had a headcase, don't want another one. Besides, he needs to beat the 3 other goalies consistently first. Maybe in a year or two.

Kahkonen got another win on Saturday making 32 saves in the victory.  He's certainly playing with a lot of confidence.  Sokolov had a goal and Mason Shaw continues to find his way onto the score sheet.  Iowa currently sits in 2nd place; and they have a tough game tomorrow against Grand Rapids.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Kahkonen got another win on Saturday making 32 saves in the victory.  He's certainly playing with a lot of confidence.  Sokolov had a goal and Mason Shaw continues to find his way onto the score sheet.  Iowa currently sits in 2nd place; and they have a tough game tomorrow against Grand Rapids.  

Yes LIG, It was a nice win for Kahkonen as well for the team on a road game. Now he has a chance to prove his excellence as a #1 goalkeeper. His records now - 5-1-1-3; GAA 1.12; SV% 0.962.

https://theahl.com/stats/player/7179/61/kaapo-kahkonen

Hammond was probably injured, because he did not played the last 2 games. Our young sniper Sokolov definitely getting more confidence - in 12 played games he has 10 points( 4 goals, 6 assists, +/- +6; 27 shots on goal). Still I am surprise that coaching staff are not involving him in every game, instead of developing more confident player. Is he injured/ had some trauma? Mason Shaw as we predicted before on our forum is a very promising play maker and  reminds me Granlund #2 (in 19 games having 3 goals; 13 assists; +/- + 7). Minnesotan Mitch McLain having in 12 games 4 goals;5 assists;+/- +3 . Actually the young line Sokolov - Shaw- McLain I think, in general, is looking pretty good.

1 hour ago, Alexandron said:

Yes LIG, It was a nice win for Kahkonen as well for the team on a road game. Now he has a chance to prove his excellence as a #1 goalkeeper. His records now - 5-1-1-3; GAA 1.12; SV% 0.962.

https://theahl.com/stats/player/7179/61/kaapo-kahkonen

Hammond was probably injured, because he did not played the last 2 games. Our young sniper Sokolov definitely getting more confidence - in 12 played games he has 10 points( 4 goals, 6 assists, +/- +6; 27 shots on goal). Still I am surprise that coaching staff are not involving him in every game, instead of developing more confident player. Is he injured/ had some trauma? Mason Shaw as we predicted before on our forum is a very promising play maker and  reminds me Granlund #2 (in 19 games having 3 goals; 13 assists; +/- + 7). Minnesotan Mitch McLain having in 12 games 4 goals;5 assists;+/- +3 . Actually the young line Sokolov - Shaw- McLain I think, in general, is looking pretty good.

Hammond is hurt, they called up C.J. Motte from Allen (ECHL).  Mitch McLain is playing really well as of late.  The team doesn't have a stud, but good team speed and four lines that can score.  Shaw's playing really well, IMO the best of the young guys (including Kunin).

• Thanks 1

Here are more interesting news from Iowa Wild link instead of thinking about our horrible loss against Coyotes . They traded our player Pavel Jenys to Kings for a monster(6’7”) with a nickname “The Falcon”. He is native from Republic of Belarus. More about this defenseman you can find under the comparing picture of his hockey sticks and Kunin’s sticks. Strange that his name Stepan Falkovsky, which means nothing from Russian translation transformed into the nickname “The Falcon”. That nickname should be better to stay for Sokolov, because of his promising sniper skills and because of the Russian translation of Sokol means the Falcon. Anyway both falcons speak Russian and hope will find a better communications on the ice as well as out of it.

Here is a link to read:

https://www.iowawild.com/news/detail/the-wild-wire-8