2018-19 Iowa Wild and other Wild Prospects Discussion

pilldoc

7 hours ago, sweetshot said:

Maybe we can work out a deal with the Flyers--they are desperate for goaltending--Dubnyk is expendable IMO. This team isn't going anywhere in the playoffs with or without Dubnyk.  We run the table with Stalock and Kappi.😄

Dubnyk is going through a bad patch, but he’ll come around. IMO he’s got a concussion from the Tom Wilson hit. And besides, Dubnyk has a limited NTC. There are only 19 teams he can be traded to. 

Dubnyk is not the problem in the Playoffs. It’s the whole team. The Wild disappear in the Playoffs. They don’t like to play physical and that’s what you have to do in the Playoffs. 

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Dubnyk is going through a bad patch, but he’ll come around. IMO he’s got a concussion from the Tom Wilson hit. And besides, Dubnyk has a limited NTC. There are only 19 teams he can be traded to. 

Dubnyk is not the problem in the Playoffs. It’s the whole team. The Wild disappear in the Playoffs. They don’t like to play physical and that’s what you have to do in the Playoffs. 

That's 60% of the teams in the NHL, maybe the Flyers are one of them. Not that it's all that high, but Dubnyk's current trade value is probably as high as it will ever be. The Flyers are very desperate for goaltending and they(GMCF) might give up something to get him.

I realize KK is still pretty raw, and we would possibly be bringing him up sooner than we want to. Easier to do with a goalie than a position player as he would be the backup that we could ease in.

If we can get something decent for Dubnyk, why not? 

1 hour ago, sweetshot said:

That's 60% of the teams in the NHL, maybe the Flyers are one of them. Not that it's all that high, but Dubnyk's current trade value is probably as high as it will ever be. The Flyers are very desperate for goaltending and they(GMCF) might give up something to get him.

I realize KK is still pretty raw, and we would possibly be bringing him up sooner than we want to. Easier to do with a goalie than a position player as he would be the backup that we could ease in.

If we can get something decent for Dubnyk, why not? 

One thing to consider as well is Dubnyk's $4.3M cap hit. That's a pretty hefty cap hit even if the Flyers can absorb it, and it will be there until 2022. Plus Varmalov will be a UFA next summer, providing Colorado doesn't sign him, so they may be able to go after him and not give anything up.

And based on their conversations, I don't think their fans are real excited about having GMCF as the new GM. Sounds like Hextall stockpiled a lot of nice young talent in Lehigh Valley for them and the fans aren't in any hurry to trade them away for aging veterans just to get into the Playoffs this season.

I'd still rather leave Kahkonen in Iowa and let him play there as a #1. He'll learn much more there than being a door opener in the NHL.

9 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

One thing to consider as well is Dubnyk's $4.3M cap hit. That's a pretty hefty cap hit even if the Flyers can absorb it, and it will be there until 2022. Plus Varmalov will be a UFA next summer, providing Colorado doesn't sign him, so they may be able to go after him and not give anything up.

And based on their conversations, I don't think their fans are real excited about having GMCF as the new GM. Sounds like Hextall stockpiled a lot of nice young talent in Lehigh Valley for them and the fans aren't in any hurry to trade them away for aging veterans just to get into the Playoffs this season.

I'd still rather leave Kahkonen in Iowa and let him play there as a #1. He'll learn much more there than being a door opener in the NHL.

The Flyers have a ton of goalie prospects.  They have lots of prospect depth in general.  Kahkonen needs to stay in the minors, zero reason to rush him.  I know you didn't say that...

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

The Flyers have a ton of goalie prospects.  They have lots of prospect depth in general.  Kahkonen needs to stay in the minors, zero reason to rush him.  I know you didn't say that...

They seem pretty high on that Hart kid. He's just not ready yet. Hextall did a really good job of stockpiling prospects for them. Too bad Holmgren got ants in his pants to see the building sold out rather than give Hextall a couple more years of developing their prospects...

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:23 AM, IllaZilla said:

You two should go get a room.

22 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

They seem pretty high on that Hart kid. He's just not ready yet. Hextall did a really good job of stockpiling prospects for them. Too bad Holmgren got ants in his pants to see the building sold out rather than give Hextall a couple more years of developing their prospects...

I agree, dumping Hextall was stupid IMO.  I'd love to see him join the Wild organization.  Hart does seem to be their future.

23 hours ago, sweetshot said:

You two should go get a room.

Yeah, quit posting stuff that's reasoned and rational.  You need to develop a nano-second memory and immediately jump to silly, irrational, emotional doomsday conclusions any time anything isn't perfect.

1 minute ago, Fargocase said:

Yeah, quit posting stuff that's reasoned and rational.  You need to develop a nano-second memory and immediately jump to silly, irrational, emotional doomsday conclusions any time anything isn't perfect.

Maybe there's room for three.😄

Kahkonen has lost his last 3 starts.  He's not playing awful, but being the #1 goalie (with Hammond still hurt) is probably feeling the challenge of carrying most of the workload.  But please go back to talking about which posters you'd like to get a room with...that's Iowa Wild related discussion I'm sure!

Kind of funny how all of a sudden Kahkonen isn't a brick wall anymore...maybe teams started seeing tendencies he has? Or like you said, now that he's the #1 there is more pressure on him? Whatever it is, I'd rather him figure it out in Iowa by working through it rather than being the door opener on the Wild bench...

Edited by IllaZilla

Obviously this proves kakonen sucks.  Three bad games in a row?  He sucks!  Just like Doobie.  Carrys the team for six weeks, then has a couple bad games = proof he sucks.  Even though if you watched the Tor game, for example, a blind man could see the goals weren't his fault.

On 12/13/2018 at 5:34 PM, Fargocase said:

Obviously this proves kakonen sucks.  Three bad games in a row?  He sucks!  Just like Doobie.  Carrys the team for six weeks, then has a couple bad games = proof he sucks.  Even though if you watched the Tor game, for example, a blind man could see the goals weren't his fault.

Ok Greenlay...

Actually, sounds more like a jacked up valley girl with a vivid imagination who blows everything out of proportion when she can't open her purse to put fresh lipstick on because she's shaking too much from the cold. Ice fishing 'll do that.

Like LiG said, Kahkonen is probably feeling the pressure and in that case seeing how well he handles it. Stuff like that is why they need to keep him in Iowa.

23 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Stepan Falkovsky, a 6'7" defenseman with some mobility and offensive ability getting his debut with the Iowa Wild this afternoon.  

Dear lord, did they get Moses Hightower from Police Academy?

(The actor is that tall)

1 hour ago, Lonkkis said:

Dear lord, did they get Moses Hightower from Police Academy?

(The actor is that tall)

Dear lord, Zdeno Chara is even taller - 6'9", 250 lb and in his 41 y.o. age is still a captain of Boston Bruins.😉

Anyway, it was a nice first start for Falkovsky, but unfortunately, our Iowa Wild team lost yesterday with a score 2:5. Kohkonen was in the net. Our brick wall is losing its steadiness and definitely needs a support from the defense and even forwards to build his (Kaapo Kohkonen) confidence again. Actually our both young goaltenders need team's support. We need also more wins in regulation (too many OT games with loses for the team). It seems our team's production is suffering , especially from the defense. Hope, the most tallest guys Soucy, Warner, Falkovsky will start to shoot more pucks towards the net.  

Edited by Alexandron

2 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Dear lord, Zdeno Chara is even taller - 6'9", 250 lb and in his 41 y.o. age is still a captain of Boston Bruins.😉

Anyway, it was a nice first start for Falkovsky, but unfortunately, our Iowa Wild team lost yesterday with a score 2:5. Kohkonen was in the net. Our brick wall is losing its steadiness and definitely needs a support from the defense and even forwards to build his (Kaapo Kohkonen) confidence again. Actually our both young goaltenders need team's support. We need also more wins in regulation (too many OT games with loses for the team). It seems our team's production is suffering , especially from the defense. Hope, the most tallest guys Soucy, Warner, Falkovsky will start to shoot more pucks towards the net.  

John Scott was 6'8", but Falkovsky didn't light the world on fire in his debut.  Iowa has lost 5 of their last 6 games.  Penalties have really dogged this team, many times the preventable variety.  They also miss Cal O'Reilly way more than I'm sure they'd care to admit.  Sokolov has been making a bigger mark on the scoresheet while Rau has tailed off.  Read is playing well now.  

17 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

John Scott was 6'8", but Falkovsky didn't light the world on fire in his debut.  Iowa has lost 5 of their last 6 games.  Penalties have really dogged this team, many times the preventable variety.  They also miss Cal O'Reilly way more than I'm sure they'd care to admit.  Sokolov has been making a bigger mark on the scoresheet while Rau has tailed off.  Read is playing well now.  

Sounds like they are pretty short handed in Iowa right now. It does sound like Hammond is almost back, so maybe that takes some pressure off Kahkonen. 

12 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Sounds like they are pretty short handed in Iowa right now. It does sound like Hammond is almost back, so maybe that takes some pressure off Kahkonen. 

Motte hasn't been bad.  Its the power play scoring tailing off and the penalties that have been the bigger story IMO.  Early in the season Iowa was converting on the power play at nearly a 30% clip.  Not having Sam Anas (hand injury) and Cal O'Reilly has really set that back.  But Hammond returning certainly would not hurt, especially for Kahkonen's confidence as you said.    

4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Motte hasn't been bad.  Its the power play scoring tailing off and the penalties that have been the bigger story IMO.  Early in the season Iowa was converting on the power play at nearly a 30% clip.  Not having Sam Anas (hand injury) and Cal O'Reilly has really set that back.  But Hammond returning certainly would not hurt, especially for Kahkonen's confidence as you said.    

I noticed in that San Antonio game there were a lot of penalties (9). And like you said, some of them are mental: Kakhonen playing the puck in the restricted area, a Too Many Men on the Ice (I absolutely abhor this penalty. It's a high school penalty. Get your head in the game!) And the Wild keeping Kunin up at the big club probably hasn't helped either...

Maybe it sounds difficult to make, but recently it came an idea to try a rotational 10 games trial mode on using our prospects in the big club. I do not think if the prospect will miss 10 games in Iowa is going to be a big deal, but at least 8-10 prospects from Iowa Wild team will be tested during the season on a subject of the most productive performance for the big club. In my opinion, this way we could find earlier the most valuable talent for the main team as well as to raise a real professional experience for our prospects when a prospect is playing among experienced NHL professionals. If the prospect had 3-5 goals or 6-8 total points during a 10 games streak/period by playing for the 3rd or 4th lines, then his play can be extended to 2 more games,  for example, by playing in a 2nd line. Even by playing for the 3rd and 4th lines the prospect capable to expose his talent to us (fans and a coaching staff) and be productive, if not then he could stay a longer time for developing in Iowa. That also will create an interest and a competition among prospects in Iowa to get into those 8-10 trial prospects for the big club during the season. What we do have now? Some youngsters (usually 1st and 2nd round drafts) playing multiple games in NHL for the Wild team during the season with a minimal production, and some other youngsters come to us from Iowa for a game or two at the end of the regular season which forming only hopes and not much more. As the result for the fans– an interest to those prospects is gradually losing. Pavel Datsyuk was a 6th round draft (171st overall), but became an NHL legend. We just need to look more attentively for that treasure among our prospects. And I do not think our current way for many previous years is more creative.

On 12/18/2018 at 12:04 PM, IllaZilla said:

I noticed in that San Antonio game there were a lot of penalties (9). And like you said, some of them are mental: Kakhonen playing the puck in the restricted area, a Too Many Men on the Ice (I absolutely abhor this penalty. It's a high school penalty. Get your head in the game!) And the Wild keeping Kunin up at the big club probably hasn't helped either...

Losing Kunin has hurt a bit.  But I'd still argue Cal O'Reilly's absence has been a bigger deal; especially on the power play.  You're right, lots of dumb mental mistakes in that game.  

On the prospect front, two Wild prospects were involved in trades in major junior.  Dereck Baribeau a 6'6" goalie was dealt from Quebec to Baie-Comeau which is probably a good thing because he was splitting time with the Remparts, and Shawn Boudrias got dealt from Gatineau to Cape Breton.  Both players are overagers, so these are typical deals by clubs looking to add depth for a run towards their respective league championship.  We'll see if it results in more production for both.  Boudrias had a good start, but he's tailed off in recent weeks and I think he's been hurt too.  

55 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Losing Kunin has hurt a bit.  But I'd still argue Cal O'Reilly's absence has been a bigger deal; especially on the power play.  You're right, lots of dumb mental mistakes in that game.  

On the prospect front, two Wild prospects were involved in trades in major junior.  Dereck Baribeau a 6'6" goalie was dealt from Quebec to Baie-Comeau which is probably a good thing because he was splitting time with the Remparts, and Shawn Boudrias got dealt from Gatineau to Cape Breton.  Both players are overagers, so these are typical deals by clubs looking to add depth for a run towards their respective league championship.  We'll see if it results in more production for both.  Boudrias had a good start, but he's tailed off in recent weeks and I think he's been hurt too.  

I wasn't discounting Cal O'Reilly at all, hard to lose your leading points getter and not feel an impact. It was just that O'Reilly was already out and then the Wild called up Kunin...the Baby Wild kind of lost two points getters all at once.

To me if a goalie can put up decent save percentages in the Q, they're probably all right, because NO ONE plays defense in the Q...😀

It would be nice if at least one of those two turns into something more than the next Darcy Kuemper...everyone used to say that goaltending was the Wild's strong suit, but they've never drafted a goaltender that turned into their starting goaltender:

Fernandez - Expansion pick from MTL

MacLennan - Expansion pick from STL

Roloson - FA

Khudobin - Wild draft pick/Back up

Harding - Wild draft pick/Back up

Theodore - FA

Bryzgalov - FA

Backstrom - FA

Kuemper - Wild Draft pick/Back up

Dubnyk - Trade w/ARI

Stalock - FA

Arguably Kuemper came close, but he never seemed able to get over that hump of grabbing the starting spot. Always seemed to have a lights out game followed by several Dan Cloutier impersonations...