2018-19 Iowa Wild and other Wild Prospects Discussion

pilldoc

On 12/20/2018 at 8:54 AM, IllaZilla said:

Arguably Kuemper came close, but he never seemed able to get over that hump of grabbing the starting spot. 

Agree, we do not have the best scouting for talented goalies of grabbing the starting spot  in our all drafts history. Hope Kahkonen will be the first one. 

We badly need Sokolov for a trial in a big club. In 20 games in Iowa he has 8 goals; 7 assists; 3 PPG; in 2 games he put 2 goals in each game and it seems by playing just in the 4th line. As well I would like to see in Iowa ASAP Connor Dewar and Alexander Khovanov, because Iowa Wild club needs more productive offense.

2 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Agree, we do not have the best scouting for talented goalies of grabbing the starting spot  in our all drafts history. Hope Kahkonen will be the first one. 

We badly need Sokolov for a trial in a big club. In 20 games in Iowa he has 8 goals; 7 assists; 3 PPG; in 2 games he put 2 goals in each game and it seems by playing just in the 4th line. As well I would like to see in Iowa ASAP Connor Dewar and Alexander Khovanov, because Iowa Wild club needs more productive offense.

No the team doesn't need Sokolov up. Leave him where he is. Let him mature. Let him play a full season in Iowa. Look at Kunin. Zero points in five games. Not sure why he is still with the big club now that Koivu is back.

Sokolov would be stuck in the same predicament Kunin is. Neither of them are replacing any of the Wild's top six forwards right now.

If the team is out of the Playoffs and they unload Staal and maybe Coyle, there may be room for them to come up. But for now, leave the players in Iowa alone, let them mature, let them prove they belong with the big club.

Dewar and Khovanov will probably be with the Baby Wild next season. They are under contract to their junior team right now. The Wild can't just pluck them out of juniors and stick them in Iowa.

Edited by IllaZilla
  • Like 2

On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 3:20 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Stepan Falkovsky, a 6'7" defenseman with some mobility and offensive ability getting his debut with the Iowa Wild this afternoon.  

Must be like Justin Falk's forgotten second cousin's kid, real tall gem from Russia!

The game last night is precisely why Kahkonen needs to stay in Iowa. Gives up seven goals on 38 shots. No way is he ready for the NHL.

No one in Iowa is going to save the Wild. Look at Kunin. Five games, zero points, and a -2. He’s not even shooting the puck. Averaging two shots per game. He needs to go back to Iowa. Leave the Baby Wild alone and let them mature. There are other players on the current Wild roster that need to step up. They don’t need to be bringing up any of these guys right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

The game last night is precisely why Kahkonen needs to stay in Iowa. Gives up seven goals on 38 shots. No way is he ready for the NHL.

No one in Iowa is going to save the Wild. Look at Kunin. Five games, zero points, and a -2. He’s not even shooting the puck. Averaging two shots per game. He needs to go back to Iowa. Leave the Baby Wild alone and let them mature. There are other players on the current Wild roster that need to step up. They don’t need to be bringing up any of these guys right now. 

Amen leave them right where they are put Kunin back on the farm too. Not a good time to bring the kids up. Quite the game in Iowa last night 

Wow, 8-7.  I am mad I missed it, but we were driving back to the Twin Cities.  Well Justin Kloos had 6 points last night, 3 goals, 3 assists.  But yea, let's bring up Kunin because he's a 1st round pick (where have we seen this flawed philosophy before?).  Sokolov had a goal too and led the team with 7 shots on goal which is what he used to do as a junior player.  Iowa is much better team than it has in recent seasons because they do have better depth overall.  The defense corps isn't just a bunch of ECHL no names like it used to be in its first few years.  

I think they'll be ok once O'Reilly comes back.  Some of their late-season college pick ups from last year continue to play pretty well in Fitzgerald and McLain.  

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't really a prospect anymore, but it was nice to see Eriksson-Ek get two goals and six shots the other night against Milwaukee...I  mean the guys averages about 1.5 shots per game with the Wild and all of a sudden he gets 6 with the Baby Wild...

I'm still not holding out this guys going to be more than a 3C-4C at best, but at least if he shoots more he night actually break that 10 goals per season barrier he can't seem to overcome...

Hammond was in net for that game too.  Milwaukee is the top team in that super tough division.  They have another tough game this afternoon against Chicago.  So if you want to listen to them before the Wild's game this early evening...I know I'll be tuning in.  I'll have some highlights of Iowa's game against Milwaukee in my post-gamer.  As well as some other prospect news.  

1 hour ago, Tomdog said:

With another expansion draft coming up they need to be mindful of big league games so they don’t need to protect them. 

Big league games don't matter. Each team only gets to protect a few players, either seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender, or eight skaters (forwards or defensemen) and a goalie. And you have to protect players with NTC/NMC's unless that player agrees to waive their NTC/NMC clause. If they've signed a contract with the Minnesota Wild, they're fair game.

2 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Big league games don't matter. Each team only gets to protect a few players, either seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender, or eight skaters (forwards or defensemen) and a goalie. And you have to protect players with NTC/NMC's unless that player agrees to waive their NTC/NMC clause. If they've signed a contract with the Minnesota Wild, they're fair game.

I thought there was a stipulation about years of service in there. 

Wasn’t that how the blackhawks kept panarin?

37 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

I thought there was a stipulation about years of service in there. 

Wasn’t that how the blackhawks kept panarin?

Whoops, my bad. You are correct. It's two years or fewer of NHL/AHL experience.

But looking at the Wild prospects, not sure that's going to matter...they're all bums...

Edited by IllaZilla
  • Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

But looking at the Wild prospects, not sure that's going to matter...they're all bums...

true that

• Uggh... 1

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

You are kind of too pessimistic regarding our prospects. Why all they are bums I do not know? Give them a chance to develop into a better position. The team is having an outstanding result this season, and production comes from all lines. With their coach (Tim Army) no way that they will miss the playoffs season this year. At least the Wild organization should keep a talented goaltender (Kaapo Kahkonen) who is having 4 shutouts already(it is a very rare sign for the Iowa Wild history) as well as to keep Sokolov (always offensively minded forward) for building the first Wild Russian offensive line in 2020 - Sokolov- Khovanov - Kaprizov, who are capable to make the real chemistry in offense and to attract more interest and more fans to the Wild team. No pessimism for sure.😉

• Good Post 1

The only legit prospect in IA is the goalie IMO.

And add EEk to the list of guys ruined because they didn't get proper development.  Free pass and fast track 'em...  Damn the consequences.  Throw them in the deep end and if they drown - so be it.

• Like 1

Last night Ek was on the first line the PK and PP which they employed 5 forwards Ek was on the first unit as the QB. The power play looked disorganized but that could have been because it was a new thing with the 5 forwards. He does stand out some hopefully this will give him a confidence boast and jump start his offensive game I have my doubts but I do like the way he plays if he could just score a little.

On 1/3/2019 at 10:09 PM, Hockey-78 said:

Kahkonen in the last two games: two wins, 59 saves and only one goal allowed. What a great prospect!

And ANOTHER shutout by Kahkonen!! In the last 3 games 85 saves and only one goal allowed and leading AHL with the most shutouts. Kahkonen is a "bum"? 🙄:hithead:He's hot now, give him a look BB. He can't do any worse than that ALL-STAR goalie of ours giving up soft goals yet again against Toronto.

19 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Weren't these the rules when the Knights came in? I heard they were going to be different when Seattle enters the league.

5 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

Weren't these the rules when the Knights came in? I heard they were going to be different when Seattle enters the league.

No, Seattle is getting fast tracked too. The owners paid even more than the Vegas franchise did ($650M for Seattle compared to $500M for Vegas) to enter the league, so Bettman is making sure they get off to a fast start. 

Now whether their GM is astute as McPhee in finding guys with the right chemistry is another story. But they’ll have a decent team right out of the gate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

And ANOTHER shutout by Kahkonen!! In the last 3 games 85 saves and only one goal allowed and leading AHL with the most shutouts. Kahkonen is a "bum"? 🙄:hithead:He's hot now, give him a look BB. He can't do any worse than that ALL-STAR goalie of ours giving up soft goals yet again against Toronto.

Huh?  I thought I watched the Wild win last Tor game?!?!  WTF?  Did I just dream that?  

4 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Leave him in Iowa he has a chance to develope into a pretty good goalie bring him up here and they will just screw him up.

• Thanks 1

Never mind.  This is the same guy who thinks EEk is a stud and will be Top 2 Line Center

So let's prematurely ejaculate the young goalie to the NHL so he can be another stud like EEk or Sheppard or Colton Gillies....

Am I just having bad luck?  I don't waste time reading Hater ranting for a couple weeks then come back and it's still there...