2018-19 Iowa Wild and other Wild Prospects Discussion

pilldoc

IMO, keep the kids in Iowa.  Kahkonen is playing well, but the team in front of him has played pretty well too.  Eriksson Ek, for all of the ranting about him...he's putting up points for Iowa.  Sokolov has been scratched the last few games.  O'Reilly's back too which has certainly helped their offense.  

The best part of Iowa is their depth.  It's fun listening to games because this team rolls 4 lines that can score and they skate well.  Army seems to be a great fit as coach for this club.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fargocase said:

Huh?  I thought I watched the Wild win last Tor game?!?!  WTF?  Did I just dream that?  

You were dreaming or you had your eyes closed when Toronto scored. You often state you're keen on watching replays. Scout those goals by Marner and Nylander once more.

Yeah, the Wild won thanks to our offense.

2 hours ago, Bear said:

Leave him in Iowa he has a chance to develope into a pretty good goalie bring him up here and they will just screw him up.

Bear, I think you're now repeating an old cliché detached from reality. What in essence is one saying when "leave him in AHL... they screw him up". Who's "they" for starters? How is it better to give up 2 goals in the AHL than NHL?

If a guy at 22, played almost 200 men's games can't handle a possible disappointment/poor performance, then something's not right... in those who think that's the worst thing that can happen to him. Seriously, my 5 year can't handle a loss, yeah, but he's five. 🙄 You guys need to stop pampering! I'm talking about giving him a look, not locking him up in the roster for the remainder of the season.

But yeah, I'm sure the coaching staff read this thread carefully, count up the votes yay/nay and based on the result decide whether or not to bring him up. 😉

Putting someone up against true nhl talent too early can blow their confidence. It is tricky with goalies,  winning with subpar fundamentals or techniques will exposed in a hurry in the nhl. It can be a crapshoot. Sometimes the test of the nhl can motivate, other times destroy. I would think the coaches in Iowa would have the best judgment. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tomdog said:

Putting someone up against true nhl talent too early can blow their confidence. It is tricky with goalies,  winning with subpar fundamentals or techniques will exposed in a hurry in the nhl. It can be a crapshoot. Sometimes the test of the nhl can motivate, other times destroy. I would think the coaches in Iowa would have the best judgment. 

got to agree

5 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Bear, I think you're now repeating an old cliché detached from reality. What in essence is one saying when "leave him in AHL... they screw him up". Who's "they" for starters? How is it better to give up 2 goals in the AHL than NHL?

If a guy at 22, played almost 200 men's games can't handle a possible disappointment/poor performance, then something's not right... in those who think that's the worst thing that can happen to him. Seriously, my 5 year can't handle a loss, yeah, but he's five. 🙄 You guys need to stop pampering! I'm talking about giving him a look, not locking him up in the roster for the remainder of the season.

But yeah, I'm sure the coaching staff read this thread carefully, count up the votes yay/nay and based on the result decide whether or not to bring him up. 😉

I think most goalies are head cases and coming from overseas I think the kid has more to deal with, different style of play culture maybe even language at least give him a year to assimilate. Im with crease and assist and tomdog and fargo on this one maybe he can step right in maybe he cant. We dont need to right now we are winning and both of the big clubs goalies are healthy so let him be. No need to rush him along

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bear said:

got to agree

I think most goalies are head cases and coming from overseas I think the kid has more to deal with, different style of play culture maybe even language at least give him a year to assimilate. Im with crease and assist and tomdog and fargo on this one maybe he can step right in maybe he cant. We dont need to right now we are winning and both of the big clubs goalies are healthy so let him be. No need to rush him along

I would keep him in Iowa splitting time with Hammond.  We shouldn't rush him or any prospect IMO, let them arrive when they are ready.  Is he playing well right now?  Yes, but why rush him?  

I'm not sure why there is this "Let's bring all the kids up now!" mentality. The Wild isn't in rebuild mode. They are trying to make the Playoffs with a veteran roster. Let the players on the Baby Wild mature at their own pace. It's a long season. Things happen. Look at what was posted after the first couple of weeks with the parent club: "The Wild are on pace for 105 points! Yeah, Baby!" One injury and the team immediately goes into free fall. Suddenly they are on pace for 88 points and the distinct possibility of missing the Playoffs for the first time since the 2011-2012 season. Which might be good for the parent club and wake up a few of the sleds on the roster...

Let these guys in Iowa get a full season under their belt. Let them show what they can do over a full season, not a brief snapshot in time. Let them get into the AHL Playoffs and learn to deal with that pressure before throwing them into the pressure cooker of the NHL Playoffs...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I'm not sure why there is this "Let's bring all the kids up now!" mentality. The Wild isn't in rebuild mode. They are trying to make the Playoffs with a veteran roster. Let the players on the Baby Wild mature at their own pace. It's a long season. Things happen. Look at what was posted after the first couple of weeks with the parent club: "The Wild are on pace for 105 points! Yeah, Baby!" One injury and the team immediately goes into free fall. Suddenly they are on pace for 88 points and the distinct possibility of missing the Playoffs for the first time since the 2011-2012 season. Which might be good for the parent club and wake up a few of the sleds on the roster...

Let these guys in Iowa get a full season under their belt. Let them show what they can do over a full season, not a brief snapshot in time. Let them get into the AHL Playoffs and learn to deal with that pressure before throwing them into the pressure cooker of the NHL Playoffs...

I agree with you 100%!  

Iowa Wild is playing now at San Antonio against Rampage. Kahkonen is in the net. Our team was not able to win so far against that team this season.

After the 1st period score is 2:2.

You could listen to that game  at this link:

https://www.iheart.com/live/ticket-760-2353/?autoplay=true&pname=15400&campid=header&cid=index.html

And follow the game summary through that link:

https://theahl.com/stats/game-summary/1018893

And again we lost it to Rampage(with a score of 1:3) tonight. Hammond was in the net. It seems that team is a pretty tough nut for our teeth. Despite we had a very good PK result (0/5) still they were able to put 3 goals in our net in regulation. Unfortunately, we were not capable to beat them this season at all. Actually, San Antonio set a franchise record with its ninth consecutive home win Friday evening.

Both our Wild clubs having their games tonight at 7 p.m. Iowa Wild is playing a road game against Texas Stars, which is a 9-0-0-1 in its last 10 games on their home ice. Hope our team will break that record. Each our teams need  2 points(wins) out of tonight games.WIll see if we will have this evening a double celebration or a double frustration.

https://www.iowawild.com/news/detail/game-preview-iowa-wild-vs-texas-stars-1

5 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Well, nice to see Fenton trade one of the actual scorers on the Baby Wild for some stiff from Anaheim...so much for establishing a winning culture in Iowa...

I agree what a dumb trade. Let's get a guy who has bad character and inject him into what was a winning culture. If this changes the trajectory of the Iowa wild season it is all on Fenton. 

(shrugs)  I don't think the Wild were all that interested in what Kloos could give them; even if it meant having a good go-to guy in Iowa.  I think the fact Aberg has NHL skill and is cheap and the Ducks obviously didn't want him because they didn't ask for much in return is both good and bad.  

For Iowa, they have a fair amount of scoring depth.  Kloos was their best scorer, it hurts but they roll 4 lines and have a decent amount of skill on each.  Obviously someone down there will have to step up.  Almost surprised it wasn't Kyle Rau since he had a hat trick against San Diego with the Ducks' bosses watching the game.  

If he doesn't take off or skips practices and other dumb stuff...he'll be gone the way of Mattias Weinhandl.  But the risk IMO is pretty minimal for the Wild.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Nice to see the Baby Wild sitting in second place in the Western Conference...hopefully they can keep it going and make the Playoffs...

Cal O'Reilly keeps leading the way, while Sam Anas and Gerald Mayhew has seemed to have been the ones to step up their game in Kloos' absence.  Will Bitten has also starting to become a regular on the stat sheet and Kyle Rau is also raising his game.  Sometimes, a trade like this lets you find out just what you have or do not have.  So far, Iowa seems to have some scoring depth even if they do not have some dominant go-to player.  

On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 3:20 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Stepan Falkovsky, a 6'7" defenseman with some mobility and offensive ability getting his debut with the Iowa Wild this afternoon.  

Must be like Justin Falk's forgotten second cousin's kid, real tall gem from Russia!

Good Irish luck to onetime 12th overall pick ryan murphy who might get a shot as a no. 6 or 7 defenseman in New Jersey which has seen its blue line corps decimated by injuries....from the Binghamton Devils comes yet another left-handed defenseman who reports to Iowa. Kid from Wisconsin played at UMass and signed as a free agent.....

Some college hockey guys there with Kunin (Wisconsion) Rau (Minnesota) Brown (UMD) and Prosser (Colorado College). And our newest blue line additions Bitetto (Northeastern) and Hunt (Bemidji State University). Say what you like, but our farm system is well educated.

Edited by Icechipper
add colleges