2018-19 Iowa Wild and other Wild Prospects Discussion

pilldoc

17 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Some college hockey guys there with Kunin (Wisconsion) Rau (Minnesota) Brown (UMD) and Prosser (Colorado College). And our newest blue line additions Bitetto (Northeastern) and Hunt (Bemidji State University). Say what you like, but our farm system is well educated.

Well even since Fletcher got here, the team became far more apt to draft and sign college players.  Risebrough never seemed to care too much for the college-trained guys.  But I think more and more teams are seeing the benefits of developing a player who ends up being more physically and mentally mature.  

• Like 1

Iowa had a big 5-4 win over San Antonio last night.  Read with 2 goals and a helper.  Gerald Mayhew has really been great since Kloos left; 16 goals, +12...2nd on the team in scoring.  Sokolov with the OT game winner,  his 10th of the season.  Belpedio with 3 assists, Kapla with 2 assists.  Kapla has been played reasonably well since the trade.  Kahkonen with the win; not his best game but he got it done.  

On another note...Connor Dewar had no points last night, first time in a long while since that's happened but he went 23-for-29 on his draws in Everett's 1-0 loss.  

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Next 3 games(Thursday(home), Friday(home), Tuesday(away)) Iowa Wild team is playing against San Jose Barracuda. That team is not an easy one to beat which lost less games (12 games) in regulation than any other teams in AHL and taking the second place in their Pacific Division as well as we are at the second place in Central. 

Iowa Wild team won the 1st (out of 3) game yesterday in regulation against Barracuda (4:3) and have got a record - the most game wins (19) in one season at the home ice in their history.
Kapla, O'Reilly, Sokolov and Rau all had multi-point game last night. Kahkonen was in the net.
Tonight is a 2nd game in Iowa against San Jose. Again, it is not an easy Barracuda team to play against. Hope we will repeat our success.

am impressed so far about the progress of our prospect Connor Dewar stats who is playing for Everett Silvertips team for 4 seasons. 
Last season he put 38 goals and made 30 assists in 68 games (+/- + 23). In 22 playoff games last year he had 12 goals;14 assists;+/- +24 as well as he also was an alternate captain.
This season he is a captain and put 34 goals and made 39 assists;+/- +22 (73 points) in 52 games already. Wish that the Wild organization will sign him as soon as possible. He still is having unsigned status for us.

8 hours ago, Alexandron said:
am impressed so far about the progress of our prospect Connor Dewar stats who is playing for Everett Silvertips team for 4 seasons. 
Last season he put 38 goals and made 30 assists in 68 games (+/- + 23). In 22 playoff games last year he had 12 goals;14 assists;+/- +24 as well as he also was an alternate captain.
This season he is a captain and put 34 goals and made 39 assists;+/- +22 (73 points) in 52 games already. Wish that the Wild organization will sign him as soon as possible. He still is having unsigned status for us.

The wild are sure in need of players that can put the puck in the net. The wild should have scouted more thoroughly and managed their prospects completely differently. I can only hope that the current management can learn from the previous management's mistakes. 

On 2/22/2019 at 6:26 PM, Starofthenorth said:

The wild are sure in need of players that can put the puck in the net. The wild should have scouted more thoroughly and managed their prospects completely differently. I can only hope that the current management can learn from the previous management's mistakes. 

Dewar hasn't played the last few games for Everett.  I think he's hurt or sick.  Ivan Lodnia returned to action since being hurt since mid-December.  I don't think our prospect pool is completely empty but here's my Top 15 of Wild prospects not in the AHL / NHL.  The gaps are intentional...as I think there is a significant drop off in these places.  The fact there is no one goaltender in this group should be a bit concerning...although Russo has said the organization is very interested in Mat Robson (Minnesota) and to a lesser extend Hunter Shepard (UMD).  Not many quality defensive prospects either.  

1. LW, Kirill Kaprizov (CSKA Moscow, KHL)

2.  C, Connor Dewar (Everett, WHL)

3.  RW, Ivan Lodnia (Niagara, OHL)

4.  C/W, Ivan Khovanov (Moncton, QMJHL)

5.  D, Filip Johansson (Leksands IF, Allsvenskan)

6.  RW, Nick Swaney (Minnesota-Duluth, NCHC)

7.  LW, Brandon Duhaime (Providence, Hockey East)

8. C, Andrei Svetlakov (CSKA Moscow, KHL)

9. C/W, Sam Hentges (St. Cloud State, NCHC)

10.  RW, Shawn Boudrias (Cape Breton, QMJHL)

11. C, Damien Giroux (Saginaw, OHL)

12. D, Simon Johansson (Almtuna, Allsvenskan)

13. D, Jacob Golden (Erie, OHL)

14. D, Nick Boka (Michigan, Big 10)

15. D, Jack Sadek (Minnesota, Big 10)

• Like 2

Regarding a 3 games streak which ended yesterday against Barracuda, we went 1-1-1. Some notes from the Iowa Wild site. Iowa continues its season-high six-game road trip with a contest Friday night against the Bakersfield Condors, who currently have the longest active winning streak in the AHL at 17 games. Puck drop is at 9:00 p.m. CT and can be streamed for free on Facebook Watch as the AHL’s Game of the Week.
Here is a nice link to read about the importance of the next 20 games for the Iowa Wild team. Last year we did not finish well our season there and sadly missed the playoffs:

https://www.iowawild.com/news/detail/the-wild-wire-19

Good news!!! We stopped Condors 17 games winning steak yesterday by shutout win 1:0 on their home ice. Sokolov put a single PP winning goal in their net. Fitzgerald and Belpedio assisted to that goal. Condors put almost a double shots towards our net (30 vs 16). Hammond was our goalie to protect Wild's net in a shutout. Interesting that we just repeat that score  in regulation since 2014 in  Iowa Wild history.

Bad news, the Iowa Wild squandered a 4-1 lead with just 3 minutes left in the 3rd period to lose 5-4 in overtime to Ontario.  They play their 3rd game in 3 days this early evening.  Rau had a hat trick last night.  Kahkonen had 49 saves in the loss.  

• Uggh... 1

Agree LIG, about those bad news. The Wild was able to beat one of the best team in a league and next day to lose to the worst team. It was nice for Rau to have a hat trick and for Kahkonen to stop 49 shots out of 54, but the sad part the Iowa Wild team is still not able to beat Ontario team during the season(our records are 0-2-2-0) and let them to put 54 shots towards our net and the other sad part of that game we were able to lose 3 unanswered goals in a last 3 minutes of the regulation  and no one was able to step up in helping during that crucial time . Hope tonight game against Ontario team will give us a better result.

Last night game finally gave us a win in regulation against Ontario with a score 5:4. Our team was able to put 45 shots towards Ontario net and also to put 4 out of 6 PP goals. Brennan Menell (our defenseman ) was a star in that game too by having 5 assists, which is a rare achievement. In 53 games so far this season Brennan having 2 goals and 30 assists,+/- +13.

1 hour ago, Icechipper said:

Congratulations to former Wild bench warmer Tyler Ennis who potted a hatty last night as the Leafs doused the Flames........

Oh...you didn't know?
He is "big time" now...ever since he put on a Leafs sweater.

I mean....people are even interested in him enough now that he gets interviewed by Hockey Central at Noon on NHL Network...and we ALL know THEY aren't Toronto biased...oh no...not at all....  :ph34r:   :bigteeth:

On 3/4/2019 at 10:02 AM, Alexandron said:

Last night game finally gave us a win in regulation against Ontario with a score 5:4. Our team was able to put 45 shots towards Ontario net and also to put 4 out of 6 PP goals. Brennan Menell (our defenseman ) was a star in that game too by having 5 assists, which is a rare achievement. In 53 games so far this season Brennan having 2 goals and 30 assists,+/- +13.

That was a big win for Iowa, who had a pretty good California road trip.  Menell has been quietly productive all season.  Rau, Mayhew, O'Reilly, Mennell and when he's there Read continue to be the workhorses for this team.  

On 2/24/2019 at 9:30 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

1. LW, Kirill Kaprizov (CSKA Moscow, KHL)

2.  C, Connor Dewar (Everett, WHL)

3.  RW, Ivan Lodnia (Niagara, OHL)

4.  C/W, Ivan Khovanov (Moncton, QMJHL)

5.  D, Filip Johansson (Leksands IF, Allsvenskan)

6.  RW, Nick Swaney (Minnesota-Duluth, NCHC)

7.  LW, Brandon Duhaime (Providence, Hockey East)

8. C, Andrei Svetlakov (CSKA Moscow, KHL)

9. C/W, Sam Hentges (St. Cloud State, NCHC)

10.  RW, Shawn Boudrias (Cape Breton, QMJHL)

11. C, Damien Giroux (Saginaw, OHL)

12. D, Simon Johansson (Almtuna, Allsvenskan)

13. D, Jacob Golden (Erie, OHL)

14. D, Nick Boka (Michigan, Big 10)

15. D, Jack Sadek (Minnesota, Big 10)

I’m a bit surprised you have Johansson that high up....either he’s better than we thought he was or the Wild have ZERO defensive prospects..,

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2019 at 8:35 PM, IllaZilla said:

I’m a bit surprised you have Johansson that high up....either he’s better than we thought he was or the Wild have ZERO defensive prospects..,

(shrugs)  We really don't have much in the way of defensive prospects, especially non NHL / AHL ones.  I am not counting anyone in Iowa.  Otherwise you'd have Belpedio, Soucy and Menell in this mix. 

Johansson gets put here partly because he better be at least at this level otherwise they missed terribly.  While his stats are rancid, its tough to gauge because I don't see him very much.  His inability to make the WJC squad was certainly a red flag for me; even if Sweden is a pretty decent hockey factory.  

We did sign Connor Dewar to a 3-year entry level deal late last week though...so there is that.    

15 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

(shrugs)  We really don't have much in the way of defensive prospects, especially non NHL / AHL ones.  I am not counting anyone in Iowa.  Otherwise you'd have Belpedio, Soucy and Menell in this mix. 

Johansson gets put here partly because he better be at least at this level otherwise they missed terribly.  While his stats are rancid, its tough to gauge because I don't see him very much.  His inability to make the WJC squad was certainly a red flag for me; even if Sweden is a pretty decent hockey factory.  

We did sign Connor Dewar to a 3-year entry level deal late last week though...so there is that.    

Thanks LIG, Those are the best news for me. Dewar's talent in production is really merit our attention as a very promising prospect for our team.

Edited by Alexandron

After Connor Dewar our second promising prospect Alexander Khovanov improved a lot his stats this season too. Alexander is playing 2 seasons already for Moncton Wildcats. Talented sniper having so far in 61 games 70 points (24 goals;46 assists;+/- +9).  He is still having unsigned status with us. Wish that the Wild organization will sign him also as soon as possible. 

And Kirill Kaprizov nicely improved his scoring stats this season also - in 57 played games of the regular KHL season had 51 points( 30 goals and 21 assists; +/- +34).

in Iowa Wild system this season:
RW, right shoot -
- Mayhew in 57 games - 45 points(20 goals;25 assists; +/- +14);
-Sam Anas  in 45 games - 27 points(11 goals;16 assists; +/- -7);
Center;right shoot-
-Fitzgerald in 45 games- 19 points(12 goals;7 assists; +/- +5);
-McLain in 46 games - 17 points (9 goals;8 assists; +/- -4)

3 hours ago, Alexandron said:

in Iowa Wild system this season:
RW, right shoot -
- Mayhew in 57 games - 45 points(20 goals;25 assists; +/- +14);
-Sam Anas  in 45 games - 27 points(11 goals;16 assists; +/- -7);
Center;right shoot-
-Fitzgerald in 45 games- 19 points(12 goals;7 assists; +/- +5);
-McLain in 46 games - 17 points (9 goals;8 assists; +/- -4)

I found a couple more in Iowa Wild team:

RW,right shoot

-Matt Read in 51 games having 31 points (15 goals;16 assists; +/- -7);

-Will Bitten in 49 games - 19 points(7 goals;12 assists; +/- 0). Bitten just put one goal against San Antonio Rampage. After 2 periods we are leading 2:1. I am listening that game now through the 1460 KXNO channel on Internet.

It seems our team in Iowa is pretty productive from the right side this season. Wish to see some day similar production from the right side in a big club too.🤔