2018-19 Iowa Wild and other Wild Prospects Discussion

pilldoc

Iowa Wild Clinch Playoff Berth and Wild prospect news

I give an overview of the Iowa Wild's season and their roster as they go into the first playoffs.  I also discuss the other prospects and their respective seasons.  Spoiler Alert there is no news about Filip Johansson but enjoy and discuss everything else...

• Like 2

Very nice to read about Iowa! I especially liked Tim Army's approach:

1. Speed of play

2. Four lines rolling

3. Blue collar ethics to counter the lack of exceptional skills

Sounds promising both for Iowa and the big team in a few years from now 😎 I wish I could see Iowa's games now and then.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I give an overview of the Iowa Wild's season and their roster as they go into the first playoffs.  I also discuss the other prospects and their respective seasons.  Spoiler Alert there is no news about Filip Johansson but enjoy and discuss everything else...

Reminds me a bit of the old Lemaire Wild...they didn't have much talent but they would work every night. I remember that magical 02-03 season. No matter what game, you just had a feeling that they were going to win. They just worked. Hard. Something the current roster has no clue how to do...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I do not know about Iowa Wild schedule during the first playoffs round, but, hope, we are not going to play against a tough team during the first round - Milwaukee Admirals, who are winning now their last game against Rockford IceHogs and who won  their last 9 games out of 10.

Regarding current Gagarin Cup finals I am hoping too - if CSKA,Moscow will get this Cup, then we will have a chance to see earlier our prospects Kaprizov and Svetlakov in a Wild uniform this season and ,hope, they finally will be signed too this summer.

On 4/14/2019 at 8:29 PM, Alexandron said:

I do not know about Iowa Wild schedule during the first playoffs round, but, hope, we are not going to play against a tough team during the first round - Milwaukee Admirals, who are winning now their last game against Rockford IceHogs and who won  their last 9 games out of 10.

Regarding current Gagarin Cup finals I am hoping too - if CSKA,Moscow will get this Cup, then we will have a chance to see earlier our prospects Kaprizov and Svetlakov in a Wild uniform this season and ,hope, they finally will be signed too this summer.

This development would really bring some potential excitement back to what will likely be an otherwise DULL off season.  I still have little faith in our ability to draft - I have not seen an addition of all new scouts, so expect more WTF choices this year. 

Even if Kaprisov (and less so Svetlakov) are not immediate gamebreakers in the NHL, I think everyone just wants to see some change of aggressiveness of Front Office (to IMPROVE the team).  It would be a flight I would hope that they would schedule immediately upon learning there is an opening to negotiate.  But, who knows with this management team.  Just DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT FOR ONCE, before apathy and ambivalence takes a firm hold.  And, for f#$%sakes, keep the Country Club the he77 away from any of these newbies. 

My only reservation about bringing over Kaprisov and Svetlakov is that you are going to have to move some players to make room for them. I'm pretty sure that after playing in the KHL they are not going to want to go to Iowa.

Down the middle the Wild the Wild have Staal, Koivu, Rask, Eriksson-Ek, (potentially Kunin). On the wings they have Parise, Zucker, Donato, Fiala, Greenway, Kunin, Foligno, (potentially Eriksson-Ek). And this is saying Fenton brings no free agents in. So for 12 spots, they have 11 players under contract. And this doesn't include Aberg. 

So who gets relegated to the third and fourth lines?

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

My only reservation about bringing over Kaprisov and Svetlakov is that you are going to have to move some players to make room for them. I'm pretty sure that after playing in the KHL they are not going to want to go to Iowa.

Now isn't Kaprisov the one we had 'issues' with his agent/ He had issues with his agent in regards to signing in the NHL? 

Has that become clearer and Is there any issue of Kaprisov not wanting to be on this team? I know we own the rights to him, So I thought.

39 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Now isn't Kaprisov the one we had 'issues' with his agent/ He had issues with his agent in regards to signing in the NHL? 

Has that become clearer and Is there any issue of Kaprisov not wanting to be on this team? I know we own the rights to him, So I thought.

Not sure about him not wanting to be on the Wild. In interviews he seemed to say all the right things. I know there were rumors that it would be "unfortunate" for his family if he signed with the Wild rather than CSKA Moscow. There was also something about him not being too happy with Chuck Fletcher. Something about how Fletcher never personally reached out to him. @CreaseAndAssist probably has more info on that than I do.

And I believe the Wild still hold his rights. However, they drafted him in 2015, and the CBA allows teams a four year window to make a "bona fide" offer to a European player (Kaprisov is considered European because he was playing for Novokuznetsk Metallurg in the KHL when he was drafted). However, I'm not sure what happens if the European player switches teams and the contract he signs goes beyond the four year window. I know the NHL and KHL have a MOU that states each will respect the others contracts, especially after Kucherov bailed on the Preds to sign with a KHL team until he was eligible to be a UFA in the NHL. Everything I've been reading states he is in the KHL until 2020. Unless CSKA Moscow releases him from his deal. And there are rumors that CSKA Moscow might be willing to release him IF they win the Gagarin Cup this year. But that's just a rumor, and it's only that they "might" be willing to release him.

Edited by IllaZilla
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Can I expect Iowa to make a run for the Calder Cup?

Well, anything's possible. But they were stumbling badly (8 losses in a row) down the stretch until the Wild sent Donato, Kunin and Greenway down. 

We'll see. They made the Playoffs for the first time in team history, so I'm not holding my breath for any miraculous run. But they made it so who knows...

13 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Not sure about him not wanting to be on the Wild. In interviews he seemed to say all the right things. I know there were rumors that it would be "unfortunate" for his family if he signed with the Wild rather than CSKA Moscow. There was also something about him not being too happy with Chuck Fletcher. Something about how Fletcher never personally reached out to him. @CreaseAndAssist probably has more info on that than I do.

And I believe the Wild still hold his rights. However, they drafted him in 2015, and the CBA allows teams a four year window to make a "bona fide" offer to a European player (Kaprisov is considered European because he was playing for Novokuznetsk Metallurg in the KHL when he was drafted). However, I'm not sure what happens if the European player switches teams and the contract he signs goes beyond the four year window. I know the NHL and KHL have a MOU that states each will respect the others contracts, especially after Kucherov bailed on the Preds to sign with a KHL team until he was eligible to be a UFA in the NHL. Everything I've been reading states he is in the KHL until 2020. Unless CSKA Moscow releases him from his deal. And there are rumors that CSKA Moscow might be willing to release him IF they win the Gagarin Cup this year. But that's just a rumor, and it's only that they "might" be willing to release him.

Gusev, arguably the best player beside Kaprisov in the KHL, signed with the Knights.  He was let out of his deal too.  One year deal, so it IS possible, but not if the Wild 'drag a$$' to get over there and make a deal.  I also would put ZERO concern into how many signed F's the Wild have.  Trade or dump whomever you need to.  We NEED a goal scorer that is young and we can build around, even if it takes him a few years and an adjustment to his level of play in the NHL.  I see very few options for goal scorers among all 11 of the signed Wild F's.  They just don't scream 'goal scorer' to me.  Sign Kaprisov if there is any way to do so.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:26 AM, IllaZilla said:

I think your wrong I think they hold Kaprisovs rights for good Im pretty sure hes stuck with us I could be wrong though

2 hours ago, Bear said:

I think your wrong I think they hold Kaprisovs rights for good Im pretty sure hes stuck with us I could be wrong though

Like I said, I’m pretty sure they own his rights, I just don’t know for how long. The NHL website made it sound like since he was a European, the team had four years to make a bona fide offer or he becomes a free agent. I just don’t know if Fletcher ever made a bona fide offer or not and what exactly constitutes a bona fide offer...

Im not sure either but I could have sworn Russo said that we owned his rights forever because we have no agreement the KHL. Maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part. 

As far as Kaprizov goes.  I think he does want to be in the NHL and at this point the Wild still hold most of the cards if he wants that chance.  I think he knows he'll be given just about anything he wants.  His 'new' agent, the one he got last year has a better relationship with the Wild.  The old one could never be reached and while I think the Wild were guilty of not trying all that hard, I was told they did everything through an intermediary.  

Right now, CSKA Moscow is up 3-0 in their series against Avangard Omsk in the Gagarin Cup Finals.  If there is a real possibility for the scenario to happen, we'll find out soon.  If its true, it would be huge.  

As far as who is relegated.  I'd say...take your pick.  IMO, as Russo stated in his article yesterday...the crappy thing is the Wild are likely going to give Rask at least one more year.  It cuts down the buyout time, plus they'll see if there is anything worth keeping around.  IMO, Eriksson Ek is already relegated when you have Koivu and Staal.  Sturm will probably be our 4th line center.  

Russo also believes there is a strong possibility Zucker gets traded and possibly Spurgeon since Toronto needs a defenseman and we seem to like William Nylander a lot and Toronto is in a cap crunch.  

11 hours ago, Bear said:

Im not sure either but I could have sworn Russo said that we owned his rights forever because we have no agreement the KHL. Maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part. 

That could be. The only thing they have with the KHL is a MOU that states each organization will respect the others contracts...

7 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

That could be. The only thing they have with the KHL is a MOU that states each organization will respect the others contracts...

It is true.  If Kaprizov wants to play in the NHL, the door still comes through the Wild.  No matter how long he decides to wait.  

3 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

As far as Kaprizov goes.  I think he does want to be in the NHL and at this point the Wild still hold most of the cards if he wants that chance.  I think he knows he'll be given just about anything he wants.  His 'new' agent, the one he got last year has a better relationship with the Wild.  The old one could never be reached and while I think the Wild were guilty of not trying all that hard, I was told they did everything through an intermediary.  

Right now, CSKA Moscow is up 3-0 in their series against Avangard Omsk in the Gagarin Cup Finals.  If there is a real possibility for the scenario to happen, we'll find out soon.  If its true, it would be huge.  

As far as who is relegated.  I'd say...take your pick.  IMO, as Russo stated in his article yesterday...the crappy thing is the Wild are likely going to give Rask at least one more year.  It cuts down the buyout time, plus they'll see if there is anything worth keeping around.  IMO, Eriksson Ek is already relegated when you have Koivu and Staal.  Sturm will probably be our 4th line center.  

Russo also believes there is a strong possibility Zucker gets traded and possibly Spurgeon since Toronto needs a defenseman and we seem to like William Nylander a lot and Toronto is in a cap crunch.  

See, that's what makes no sense about Fenton's getting younger and faster plan. They have all these young, fast wingers but are intent on centering them with old river barges. So these old guys are going to have to either be super accurate and hit the breaking wingers with a stretch pass, or it's going to be more dump and chase and hope the young guys get to the puck first. Because if the team tries a possession system, the wingers are going be held up at the blue line while the center chugs up the ice...

I think it would be unfortunate if the Wild trade Zucker. Personally, I think he just had contract hangover. I'd like to see what he could do in a second year.

I know Russo said the other day in his podcast that Fenton almost did a salary recapture as part of the Granlund deal. I can almost see that idiot offering that AND Spurgeon just to get Nylander...coupled with the other stuff, Fenton sounds like a total prat...

Edited by IllaZilla
  • Like 2

Good news for the Wild fans! CSKA,Moscow team won today for the first time in their history a Gagarin Cup by beating Avangard team,Omsk in OT with a score 3:2. They won all 4 games in finals.Congrats  to our prospects who are playing there - Kaprizov and Svetlakov to get this title at their young age! Both built a pretty good chemistry/communication by playing together, as well as they built a fresh extended playoffs experience because they reached together Gagarin Cup finals two years in a row (last and this year). I think it is a time as soon as possible for our Wild management staff start to negotiate with CSKA team as well as with both players and their agents to move them earlier towards our team.
Another part is also impressed for me a lot for this CSKA team of winners. That was an outstanding goaltending of NY Islanders prospect Ilya Sorokin - 11 shutouts in a regular season and 5 shutouts in a playoffs season this year. Islanders are lucky  to have him in addition of having already in their team  2 outstanding goaltenders.
Here is a short link to read about a Gagarin Cup from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gagarin_Cup

I don't like the idea Kaprizov might be ready to play in the NHL without first playing in the AHL. I sure hope that is the case but I think it's more like with Kapanen in the Leafs. Kapanen was definitely not hurt one bit by having to learn his new role in the AHL, and my guess is that Kaprizov needs to do a lot of learning as well.