2018-19 Iowa Wild and other Wild Prospects Discussion

pilldoc

1 hour ago, lynxrattle said:

I don't like the idea Kaprizov might be ready to play in the NHL without first playing in the AHL. I sure hope that is the case but I think it's more like with Kapanen in the Leafs. Kapanen was definitely not hurt one bit by having to learn his new role in the AHL, and my guess is that Kaprizov needs to do a lot of learning as well.

Worked well enough for Panarin. And those two are similar from what I've heard.

Edited by Lonkkis

1 hour ago, lynxrattle said:

I don't like the idea Kaprizov might be ready to play in the NHL without first playing in the AHL. I sure hope that is the case but I think it's more like with Kapanen in the Leafs. Kapanen was definitely not hurt one bit by having to learn his new role in the AHL, and my guess is that Kaprizov needs to do a lot of learning as well.

My one concern with Kaprizov is that he's used to the Olympic size rink, not the NHL size rink. He may be used  to more space to maneuver.

And where is the team going to fit all these forwards? Down the center it's going to be Staal, Koivu, Rask and probably Sturm. For your wings you'll have Kunin, Eriksson-Ek, Parise, Zucker, Foligno, Aberg, Donato, Fiala, Brown, Greenway. 

I suppose you could count on Zucker being traded, Brown being buried in Iowa or bought out, and Aberg let go. So you probably could bring in the two Russians. And that is also saying the Wild don't give anyone in Iowa a shot at the big roster. 

10 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

My one concern with Kaprizov is that he's used to the Olympic size rink, not the NHL size rink. He may be used  to more space to maneuver.

And where is the team going to fit all these forwards? Down the center it's going to be Staal, Koivu, Rask and probably Sturm. For your wings you'll have Kunin, Eriksson-Ek, Parise, Zucker, Foligno, Aberg, Donato, Fiala, Brown, Greenway. 

I suppose you could count on Zucker being traded, Brown being buried in Iowa or bought out, and Aberg let go. So you probably could bring in the two Russians. And that is also saying the Wild don't give anyone in Iowa a shot at the big roster. 

They haven't seemed to want to give anyone from Iowa a real shot.  IMO, Gerald Mayhew deserves at least a look, but I don't think he'll get it.  

9 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

They haven't seemed to want to give anyone from Iowa a real shot.  IMO, Gerald Mayhew deserves at least a look, but I don't think he'll get it.  

To me that's an indictment of the whole scouting department. If they can't draft guys that provide talent for the big club, then they should be fired. The whole purpose of the farm club is to provide talent for the big club, so you don't have to continually comb the waiver wire or trade current roster talent or draft picks away for some other teams younger talent...

29 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

With the expansion draft coming up at what point do you worry about service time exposing minor Leaguers to Seattle?

Supposedly Seattle is getting the same rules as Vegas (except Vegas doesn't have to expose anyone. But they aren't getting a cut of the $650M expansion fees either).

Vegas Expansion Draft Rules

Just sub 2020-2021 for the 2017-2018 in the article.

First or second year pros are exempt. So anyone the Wild signs in 2019 I'm guessing will be exempt. Anyone signed before 2019 will unfortunately be fair game unless Fenton gives everyone a NTC. 

I'm guessing that's why Fenton extended Stalock the way he did. Stalock hasn't shown he's a reliable backup deserving of a three year  extension. But Stalock will now be under contract for that draft, so they can expose him and protect someone like, say, Kahkonen. Dubnyk is signed through the 2020-21 season, so I'm guessing they either don't extend him (he'll be 34), or they buy him out in 2020-2021.

8 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

But Stalock will now be under contract for that draft, so they can expose him and protect someone like, say, Kahkonen.

Kahkonen would be a 2nd year professional at the end of next season which I believe would make him exempt.

46 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Kahkonen would be a 2nd year professional at the end of next season which I believe would make him exempt.

The Wild signed him in 2018 to a two year deal. 2018-2019 was his first professional year. 2019-2020 will be his second professional year. He will be an RFA for the 2020-2021 season, but that will be his third professional year. I could be wrong though. I'm not sure how the NHL counts years of service, if it's from the date the contract was signed, July 1 (start of free agency) or the start of the NHL season...

49 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

The Wild signed him in 2018 to a two year deal. 2018-2019 was his first professional year. 2019-2020 will be his second professional year. He will be an RFA for the 2020-2021 season, but that will be his third professional year. I could be wrong though. I'm not sure how the NHL counts years of service, if it's from the date the contract was signed, July 1 (start of free agency) or the start of the NHL season...

I'm fairly certain it means the # of years completed prior to the draft.  

3 hours ago, hf101 said:

I'm fairly certain it means the # of years completed prior to the draft.  

Well, I certainly hope you are correct. The Wild certainly could use a break after getting hosed in that Vegas expansion draft...

2 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Well, I certainly hope you are correct. The Wild certainly could use a break after getting hosed in that Vegas expansion draft...

A misvalue of Tuch for sure.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

A misvalue of Tuch for sure.

Well, who should they have protected? If they protected Tuch (0 pts in 6 gms for the Wild, 37 points in 57 games in the AHL) they would have had to leave one of Zucker, Coyle, or Niederreiter unprotected. Zucker was coming off a 47 point season where he scored 22 goals. Coyle was coming off a 57 point season as was Niederreiter. 

No one knew both Coyle and Niederreiter would get injured the way they did and then regress...

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Well, who should they have protected? If they protected Tuch (0 pts in 6 gms for the Wild, 37 points in 57 games in the AHL) they would have had to leave one of Zucker, Coyle, or Niederreiter unprotected. Zucker was coming off a 47 point season where he scored 22 goals. Coyle was coming off a 57 point season as was Niederreiter. 

No one knew both Coyle and Niederreiter would get injured the way they did and then regress...

I thought Fletcher offered Tuch so Vegas would choose Haula and not take Brodin?

10 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I thought Fletcher offered Tuch so Vegas would choose Haula and not take Brodin?

10 minutes ago, hf101 said:

No, it was Haula and Tuch to not take Dumba. Fletcher could only protect one of Brodin or Dumba. He chose to protect Brodin. 

2 hours ago, Tomdog said:

They probably would have been better off protecting who they could and see what happens. Instead we lose two players not one.

I don’t know if Haula would have wanted to sign with the Wild. He was never going to get past Staal or Koivu on the depth charts. 

3 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

No, it was Haula and Tuch to not take Dumba. Fletcher could only protect one of Brodin or Dumba. He chose to protect Brodin. 

Gottcha.  I knew it was something like that.  Fletcher should have protected Dumba and let Vegas have one of Haula or Brodin.  

13 hours ago, hf101 said:

Gottcha.  I knew it was something like that.  Fletcher should have protected Dumba and let Vegas have one of Haula or Brodin.  

That's what I would have done, but that's why I'm typing on a keyboard and Fletcher is an NHL GM...oh, sorry...😬

19 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I don’t know if Haula would have wanted to sign with the Wild. He was never going to get past Staal or Koivu on the depth charts. 

I don't think the decision was Haula's, it was pretty clear the Wild didn't want to re-sign him.  I believe Haula was RFA with arbitration rights and he was going to get decent money, more than the Wild was willing to pay.  What it really turned into was Tuch instead of Brodin, Zucker, Nino, or Coyle.  In 20/20 hindsight, seeing that Tuch has met his top end potential it was a huge mistake.

5 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

That's what I would have done, but that's why I'm typing on a keyboard and Fletcher is an NHL GM...oh, sorry...😬

And of course an NHL GM is working in real time, without the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.  Be easy to make decisions with a clear view of the future. 

Edited by Fargocase

19 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

It was a moot point who was protected.  The deal had been made.  

3 hours ago, Fargocase said:

It was a moot point who was protected.  The deal had been made.  

Here is the protected list Fletcher submitted:

Forwards: Charlie Coyle, Mikael Granlund, Mikko Koivu, Nino Niederreiter, Zach Parise, Jason Pominville, Jason Zucker

Defensemen: Jonas Brodin, Jared Spurgeon, Ryan Suter

Goaltenders: Devan Dubnyk

AVAILABLE PLAYERS

Forwards: Brady Brassart, Patrick Cannone, Ryan Carter, Kurtis Gabriel, Martin Hanzal, Erik Haula, Zack Mitchell, Jordan Schroeder, Eric Staal, Chris Stewart, Ryan White.

Defensemen: Victor Bartley, Matt Dumba, Christian Folin, Guillaume Gelinas, Alexander Gudbranson, Gustav Olofsson, Nate Prosser, Marco Scandella, Mike Weber.

Goaltenders: Johan Gustafsson, Darcy Kuemper, Alex Stalock.

He could have protected Dumba instead of Brodin and NOT given up Tuch. Tuch was not eligible for selection since he was only a first year professional. He was traded to Vegas so Vegas would not select Dumba.

I would have protected Dumba, exposed Brodin, and not traded Tuch.

Without any 20/20 hindsight.

8 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Here is the protected list Fletcher submitted:

Forwards: Charlie Coyle, Mikael Granlund, Mikko Koivu, Nino Niederreiter, Zach Parise, Jason Pominville, Jason Zucker

Defensemen: Jonas Brodin, Jared Spurgeon, Ryan Suter

Goaltenders: Devan Dubnyk

AVAILABLE PLAYERS

Forwards: Brady Brassart, Patrick Cannone, Ryan Carter, Kurtis Gabriel, Martin Hanzal, Erik Haula, Zack Mitchell, Jordan Schroeder, Eric Staal, Chris Stewart, Ryan White.

Defensemen: Victor Bartley, Matt Dumba, Christian Folin, Guillaume Gelinas, Alexander Gudbranson, Gustav Olofsson, Nate Prosser, Marco Scandella, Mike Weber.

Goaltenders: Johan Gustafsson, Darcy Kuemper, Alex Stalock.

He could have protected Dumba instead of Brodin and NOT given up Tuch. Tuch was not eligible for selection since he was only a first year professional. He was traded to Vegas so Vegas would not select Dumba.

I would have protected Dumba, exposed Brodin, and not traded Tuch.

Without any 20/20 hindsight.

So Haula was traded for what?