Jump to content
News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

pilldoc

2018-19 Iowa Wild and other Wild Prospects Discussion

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

 

Here is the protected list Fletcher submitted:

 

Forwards: Charlie Coyle, Mikael Granlund, Mikko Koivu, Nino Niederreiter, Zach Parise, Jason Pominville, Jason Zucker

Defensemen: Jonas Brodin, Jared Spurgeon, Ryan Suter

Goaltenders: Devan Dubnyk

 

AVAILABLE PLAYERS

Forwards: Brady Brassart, Patrick Cannone, Ryan Carter, Kurtis Gabriel, Martin Hanzal, Erik Haula, Zack Mitchell, Jordan Schroeder, Eric Staal, Chris Stewart, Ryan White.

Defensemen: Victor Bartley, Matt Dumba, Christian Folin, Guillaume Gelinas, Alexander Gudbranson, Gustav Olofsson, Nate Prosser, Marco Scandella, Mike Weber.

Goaltenders: Johan Gustafsson, Darcy Kuemper, Alex Stalock.

 

He could have protected Dumba instead of Brodin and NOT given up Tuch. Tuch was not eligible for selection since he was only a first year professional. He was traded to Vegas so Vegas would not select Dumba.

 

I would have protected Dumba, exposed Brodin, and not traded Tuch.

 

Without any 20/20 hindsight.

If you say so, I believe you.  I just don't remember it.  But lots of people were desperate to protect Brodin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

So Haula was traded for what?

Haula wasn't traded for anything.  The price to protect other Wild players was Tuch.  Haula was going to be gone regardless.  Tuch was the value, Haula was essentially a throw in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fargocase said:

Haula wasn't traded for anything.  The price to protect other Wild players was Tuch.  Haula was going to be gone regardless.  Tuch was the value, Haula was essentially a throw in.

That was my point! Idiot flefcher thought so much of Dumba that he was willing to give up 2 players rather than put Dumba on the protected list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it was a bird in hand scenario.   Tuch was still just a prospect.  Contrary to Wild organization propaganda, the Wild was desperately thin on D.  There were only four decent Dmen, the Wild couldn't afford to lose any of the four.  So they sacrificed the prospect, which in retrospect was a BIG mistake.

 

If the Wild had ranked their Dmen, IMO Dumba would have ranked ahead of Brodin.   I agree with KA, I would have just bit the bullet and sacrificed Brodin.

 

You have to remember, the Wild had a pretty good roster at the time and aspirations of contending.   Tuch was a future player, Brodin and Dumba were key pieces.   They hadn't given up on Coyle, Zucker or Nino yet.  Again, Fletcher did not have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.   IMO it's obvious sacrificing Tuch was a huge mistake, but they had Greenway looking like he'd fill the big, strong Forward role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It still comes down to 2 players to protect 1.

If that was the price, I would have been looking to keep Haula because the wild has always been short at center.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Fargocase said:

If you say so, I believe you.  I just don't remember it.  But lots of people were desperate to protect Brodin.

 

Not being an ass, but what would you have done? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

 

Not being an ass, but what would you have done? 

I would have let Bridin go.  He's very over rated by Will fans IMO.  Poor offensive production and shies away from physical contact.  He's a beautiful skater but no grit.

 

I did like Scadella's grit but IMO he's a great 3rd Pair guy but an expensive, below average 2nd Pait guy.  IMO his Cap Hit necessitated his departure.

Personally, I liked Haula but IMO Yeo grossly mis-used him.  Demoting Haula for lumbering oaf Hanzal was a huge mistake and destroyed the chemistry of the team.  I believe Haula had no chance to stay with the Wild but that his leaving hurt the team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fargocase said:

I would have let Bridin go.  He's very over rated by Will fans IMO.  Poor offensive production and shies away from physical contact.  He's a beautiful skater but no grit.

 

I did like Scadella's grit but IMO he's a great 3rd Pair guy but an expensive, below average 2nd Pait guy.  IMO his Cap Hit necessitated his departure.

Personally, I liked Haula but IMO Yeo grossly mis-used him.  Demoting Haula for lumbering oaf Hanzal was a huge mistake and destroyed the chemistry of the team.  I believe Haula had no chance to stay with the Wild but that his leaving hurt the team.

 

Great minds think alike. I too would have exposed Brodin. He reminds me of Nick Schultz. A decent defenseman but that's about it. I don't think losing him would have hurt the Wild that much.

 

And for the Wild always whining they are short of centers, why let a young guy like Haula go? He was an RFA, and so what if he had arbitration rights? You sign him for a one year deal and solidify yourself down the middle. 

 

Now you managed to keep Dumba, Haula, and Tuch. and only gave up Brodin. And for a team that has historically had trouble scoring, you potentially added to your fire power...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well let's all hope Fenton learned from Fletcher's mistake and doesn't repeat it with Seattle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2019 at 3:09 PM, IllaZilla said:

Personally, I liked Haula but IMO Yeo grossly mis-used him.  Demoting Haula for lumbering oaf Hanzal was a huge mistake and destroyed the chemistry of the team.

Actually BB was coach when that happened. But IMO that was not BB's decision--that came from GMCF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was two separate thoughts.   I guess I should have separated them.

 

I also agree that BB didn't have a choice, he had to play Hanzal or it would have been a huge insult against Fletch.  BUT my guess is BB had input on the deal.  BB coached in Anaheim and saw Hanzal vs Getslaff in many, many games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our Wild prospect Kirill Kaprizov was included into the team of Russia for participation at the World Hockey Championship of 2019, which is going to start soon in Slovakia on May, 10. IMO he will get very nice experience because he is going to play together with a most Russian NHL professionals - Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Kucherov, Kuznetsov, Orlov, Anisimov as well as with a very promising now Vegas player Gusev and some other Russian NHLers and KHLers. 
Our young forward Kevin Fiala was included to a Switzerland team there.
And our Wild veteran defenseman Ryan Suter is going to play for the US team as well.
It seems teams from Canada, USA, Russia, and the Chech Republic having the strongest rosters this year. And teams from Sweden and Finland also bringing surprises too.
Here is a link about rosters  and a schedule to read:

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

 


 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is going to be great to see how Kaprizov compares to all those Russian NHL stars 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2019 at 11:47 AM, Fargocase said:

That was two separate thoughts.   I guess I should have separated them.

 

I also agree that BB didn't have a choice, he had to play Hanzal or it would have been a huge insult against Fletch.  BUT my guess is BB had input on the deal.  BB coached in Anaheim and saw Hanzal vs Getslaff in many, many games.

And for the most part saw Getzlaff eating Hanzal's lunch. BB didn't think all that highly of Hanzal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Our Wild prospect Kirill Kaprizov was included into the team of Russia for participation at the World Hockey Championship of 2019, which is going to start soon in Slovakia on May, 10. IMO he will get very nice experience because he is going to play together with a most Russian NHL professionals - Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Kucherov, Kuznetsov, Orlov, Anisimov as well as with a very promising now Vegas player Gusev and some other Russian NHLers and KHLers. 
Our young forward Kevin Fiala was included to a Switzerland team there.
And our Wild veteran defenseman Ryan Suter is going to play for the US team as well.
It seems teams from Canada, USA, Russia, and the Chech Republic having the strongest rosters this year. And teams from Sweden and Finland also bringing surprises too.
Here is a link about rosters  and a schedule to read:

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

 


 

I am guessing Kaprisov is licking his chops at the prospect of facing that old cement truck, Ryan Suter.  Should be easy pickings  I wonder why Suter keeps getting picked for these National Showcases (he must turn it up when he is not on the Wild, where he just plays for a paycheck, not pride).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

I am guessing Kaprisov is licking his chops at the prospect of facing that old cement truck, Ryan Suter.  Should be easy pickings  I wonder why Suter keeps getting picked for these National Showcases (he must turn it up when he is not on the Wild, where he just plays for a paycheck, not pride).

 

Because he coasts so much during the NHL season he has plenty left in the gas tank for these tournaments...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kevin Fiala had his 4th goal on IIHF World Championship in a game against a team from Austria, which just finished recently. Switzerland team is doing well there - 3 wins already. Kevin put a very nice goal into the net just below the goaltender's bottle, which flied away like a bird from the nest. You can see it on a Fiala's goal reply from that link:

 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2019 at 1:49 PM, IllaZilla said:

 

Because he coasts so much during the NHL season he has plenty left in the gas tank for these tournaments...

 

Does he? He couldn't get the puck from an 18 year old kid. 🤣

 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 5:55 AM, lynxrattle said:

It is going to be great to see how Kaprizov compares to all those Russian NHL stars 😎

It seems Kaprizov did pretty well there. I am glad that he received a good experience around those Russian NHL stars.

Congrats to the all fans from Finland as well as to Lonkkis and to you Lynxrattle – today your team was able to beat a nice Russian team in an extremely tough game in semifinals with a score 1:0. From my observations for decades a Finland team is always bringing surprises. This tournament was not an exception too - they were able to win over a Canada team during the 1st game and over a Russia team in semifinals. And it seems it does not matter at all in those championships if the team was built from exclusively or NHL,KHL,AHL or from other leagues players. Probably an extreme motivation to win and to get medals(especially gold) is the main part in those surprising tournaments results. Nice examples were the teams last year from Switzerland during the World Championship and a Germany team during Olympics. Both teams got a silver medals respectively.

A second semifinal game between a Canada and a Czech Republic teams just started recently. So far score is 1:0 for a Canada team.


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Draft season is coming soon. After watching and analyzing the link about the 10 worst #1 overall draft picks of all times, I am thinking more that the Wild organization should always look for number #1 draft (overall or not overall it really does not matter) exclusively for the most promising highly scoring available forward player, but not a defenseman or a goaltender. Last year it was a huge surprise for our fans what did we picked as a #1 draft – a defenseman, who disappeared from any hockey world radars – NHL, AHL, and from a Sweden league.

Here is link below about the 10 worst #1 overall draft picks of all times:

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wild acquires rights to a Russian defenseman  20 y.o. Fedor  Gordeev, who played   before in OHL. It seems he is having a  pretty good size (6'7"; 224-pound player) and  some nice future promise for the Wild.

Here is a link to read about him:

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Michael Russo tweet, our prospect  "Kirill Kaprizov named Best Sniper of the KHL after scoring 34 regular-season and playoff goals this past season for champion CSKA".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Did anyone notice that Matt Hendricks is now a player development coach for the Minnesota Wild?  

 

Yeah, saw Russo's tweet about it yesterday. Unfortunately, the Wild need more character guys inside the locker room rather than outside the locker room...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

 

Yeah, saw Russo's tweet about it yesterday. Unfortunately, the Wild need more character guys inside the locker room rather than outside the locker room...

 

Indeed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 4
      Post
      I have not been posting as much, but totally impressed with you and this whole new fairly new Wild contingent. Super knowledgeable on your prospects and I love learning about other teams up and comers from posters who know what they are talking about. This site just rocks as far as hockey knowledge in general....really slanted towards Flyer fans, but somewhere around 10 Flyer fans on here have the best sense of humour and sarcasm I've ever encountered. I'm cracked up daily by their wit, which is
    • 3
      Post
      Hidden Content Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.   I wrote up a summary of the upcoming Prospect Development Camp, including player thoughts.  Enjoy!  
    • 3
      Post
      Hey kids! Let's have some fun with numbers!   Here's how the various teams stack up with both Alexandron's draft success rate (164 games) and Fargo's draft success rate (100 games). A few things: These numbers come from the 2000-2018 drafts. So the impacts of the last three or four drafts really aren't factored in here, but I didn't want to exclude them in case a team had a player that qualified for our "success" rate (like Auston Matthews). The Atlanta/Winnipeg teams are
    • 2
      Post
      One thing I certainly hope Fenton changes is the Wild's practice of giving prospects roster spots before they earn it. Just to give them incentive...I really hope they send Greenway to Iowa and let him develop at his own pace. Show he can dominate at the AHL level and then call him up.   And I agree with you on Kunin. I thought they should have gone with Kieffer Bellows. But they were looking for Mikko's replacement, so yay...   How much of Sokolov's production hinged on the
    • 2
      Post
      A lot of us came from this horrid place called philly.com. The posters attacking each other was common place, and the mods thought they were gods....lol. That was well over 10 yrs ago. I had almost 30,000 posts in that ********...lol. This place is basically hockey posting nirvana....all of the good, none of the bad and 99% of the posters are basically polite and civil. For hockey fans seeking knowledge and fun, there is simply no better place that I have seen. 
    • 2
      Post
      Hidden Content Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.   I give an overview of the Iowa Wild's season and their roster as they go into the first playoffs.  I also discuss the other prospects and their respective seasons.  Spoiler Alert there is no news about Filip Johansson but enjoy and discuss everything else...
×
×
  • Create New...