2018-19 Iowa Wild and other Wild Prospects Discussion

pilldoc

9 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Regarding the NHL size athlete and his speed is always a dilemma parts, which way should be our Wild’s preference? I did not read yet that article (I am guessing that we were on a last place), but I think that both parts are equally important for the modern hockey. Probably a nice balance of the size and the speed among players will give us a grind as well as a faster movement against the opposite team. The roles of the players should be determined individually – a grind minded or speedy minded player related mainly to his anthropometric; physical and physiological data. In general, both type of players developed naturally by Mother Nature as well as some of them have ideally both traits in one player. Multiple variations of those players are : bigger size player and speedy in skating(IMO the best option); bigger size player and moderate/or slow in skating ; moderate size player and speedy in skating(my second preferable option); moderate size player and moderate/or slow in skating; smaller size player and speedy in skating; smaller size player and moderate/or slow in skating(IMO the worst option). The question is how to range those sizes and speeds? What is considered – bigger/moderate/smaller size player, because the heights and weights could vary widely ? What is considered a speedy player? And other question - how the speed is combining with a talent? Sometimes we see plenty of speed and have tons of production; sometimes we see plenty of speed but zero production; and sometimes we see zero speed, but tons of production. Probably, all those questions could be addressed not only to forwards and defesemen but to a goaltenders for their play as well. Anyway, I will end up by the Hockey-78 phrase : hockey is life; and life is hockey. Mainly boring, but sometimes gets very excited. 😉.

The biggest problems with the Wild were that they have no stand out young players that are contributing, the defense has skill, but no size, and they lack a Go-To player in the lineup...

Maybe Donato, Fiala, and Greenway will change the young player thing. But the defense is still small. And there still is no Go-To player. Not even on the horizon...

11 hours ago, Alexandron said:

It seems NHL gave us just one real option – to sign first Giroux and then to build a new Wild 3rd line – Khovanov- Sturm- Giroux. And that line maybe will be more productive than the line Greenway-Ek-Donato which should play for the Iowa Wild team in AHL certain amount of time for a better appreciation to be a part of the big club. All three players were giving to the fans controversial feelings about their production last year – especially for Greenway and Donato during the Calder Cup playoffs in AHL as well as for Ek during the regular season in NHL.🤔

I don't know if I'd want 19 year olds in the NHL unless they were of the Connor McDavid skill set. Just average guys (Like Khovanov and Giroux) would get eaten alive.

6 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Wild have traded 2015 7th round draft pick Gustav Bouramman to the Florida Panthers for some guy named “Future Considerations”...

Wonder if he’s a right shot...

Great....another "can't miss Paul Fenton 1 for 1 deal..."
Oh wait..... :ph34r:

36 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Wild have traded 2015 7th round draft pick Gustav Bouramman to the Florida Panthers for some guy named “Future Considerations”...

Wonder if he’s a right shot...

Who he is? Defensman Bouramman or the "Future Consideration"? Bouramman is the right shot.

Here are some of his stats:

https://theahl.com/stats/player/6877

8 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

From the stats one would think that there would have been a worse player to throw away. Eliteprospects says Bouramman is not physical, though. Maybe Wild Bill wants his team to play more physically.

He’s 22 years old and only played 23 games for Iowa last season with zero goals and a -5. Looks to me like he was a 6-7 defenseman in Iowa.

He was stuck behind RD Louis Belpedio, Hunter Warner and Brennan Menell. 

Maybe he can continue his career in the Florida system. He was blocked in the Minnesota system. 

I wouldn’t get too upset over this trade. He was a seventh round pick. Odds of him making it were practically nil. And the Wild can’t sign everyone...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

He’s 22 years old and only played 23 games for Iowa last season with zero goals and a -5. Looks to me like he was a 6-7 defenseman in Iowa.

He was stuck behind RD Louis Belpedio, Hunter Warner and Brennan Menell. 

Maybe he can continue his career in the Florida system. He was blocked in the Minnesota system. 

I wouldn’t get too upset over this trade. He was a seventh round pick. Odds of him making it were practically nil. And the Wild can’t sign everyone...

I agree.  With Hunt able to play either side, Bouramman was the 8th RHD in the system.  With two undersized defensemen ahead of him at Iowa and the two RHD Johansson's in the pipeline, IMO, it didn;t make a lot of sense to use one of your 50 franchise roster spots for him.

All that said, you remember when Torchetti  back in 2015 mentioned how much he loved Bouramman? He thought his puck moving skills could fast track him to the NHL.  Unfortunately, his lack of size and defensive game has him, to this point,  a  borderline AHLer.

On 8/23/2019 at 4:25 PM, IllaZilla said:

One of Doug Risebrough’s Future Considerations deals was a steak dinner at Manny’s Steakhouse...

Actually, I had a dual meaning in my question. And also admit that Bill Guerin did the right first shot/first move in his career as a Wild GM by trading Bouramman to Florida. Just checked menu at Manny’s Steakhouse – some Future Considerations deals there could be the right one and surprisingly pretty expensive too. 

Personally, I would like to see earlier in the team for a tryout all our more bigger defensemen from Iowa - Gordeev(6’7”; 224 lbs); Soucy( 6’5”; 211 lbs); Warner (6’4”;223 lbs); Falkovsky (6’7”; 224 lbs). Hope, they will be developed into a nice useful defensemen for the big club.

4 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Iowa Wild GM Tom Kurvers signed 3 forwards to AHL contracts: Archambault (26 y.o); Bauman(26 y.o.); McLeod (35 y.o.).

Their stats are in that article:

https://www.iowawild.com/news/detail/iowa-wild-signs-three-to-ahl-contracts

Sincerely, maybe I am wrong, but I am so far not too excited with those 3 an oldish sings. Just checked eliteprospects.com. A new question came – why do we need them? Instead of signing our own promising drafts and/or saving money for them we signed something a not special for our club, which was multiple times tested in different teams already. It seems we are wasting the Wild’s money again similar that we have seen last year. I think ,we do not have a place for them, because they will be occupying someone youngster's place as well as taking their playing time instead of the better our younger drafts involvement, evaluation and chemistry developing. We have already so many in our system and do not need to dilute them with a not necessary ballast. I was happy that we sent Bouramman to Tampa to free some space, but was really discouraging for bringing more  into our system, which even more older one than we took away.

Now that you've said it Alexandron, my thoughts almost exactly.

(The only difference being that I can understand signing McLeod, if McLeod has the right personality for mentoring youngsters. The youngsters in Iowa might gain silent knowledge from him on how to make it in the NHL with a lesser skill set.)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Now that you've said it Alexandron, my thoughts almost exactly.

(The only difference being that I can understand signing McLeod, if McLeod has the right personality for mentoring youngsters. The youngsters in Iowa might gain silent knowledge from him on how to make it in the NHL with a lesser skill set.)

Hope Lynxrattle you are right regarding a McLeod mission.

Still I am not sure if the Iowa Wild GM makes his own independent decisions on hiring or trading players for the AHL or still needs to connect to the Wild GM for receiving a permission from him? Whom we should ask (Kurvers or Guerin) for the last 3 contracts there? I still prefer younger age than we are getting for both clubs 2 seasons in a row because that young age attracts more interest and rolled with more energy/speed to the game in comparison to the veterans. We have a common phrase that the old horse never destroys a furrow/trench, but in our case sometimes those veterans  completely change the culture and mentality for the youngsters and sometimes transform them into a nothing special for the club.

50 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Hope Lynxrattle you are right regarding a McLeod mission.

Still I am not sure if the Iowa Wild GM makes his own independent decisions on hiring or trading players for the AHL or still needs to connect to the Wild GM for receiving a permission from him? Whom we should ask (Kurvers or Guerin) for the last 3 contracts there? I still prefer younger age than we are getting for both clubs 2 seasons in a row because that young age attracts more interest and rolled with more energy/speed to the game in comparison to the veterans. We have a common phrase that the old horse never destroys a furrow/trench, but in our case sometimes those veterans  completely change the culture and mentality for the youngsters and sometimes transform them into a nothing special for the club.

Kurvers is the Iowa GM. He makes the call on signing players to Iowa contracts. These are strictly Iowa deals and have nothing to do with the Wild. I'm pretty sure none of these guys will see the Wild bench.

If you look at the players currently on the Iowa Wild roster, they are a young team. Average age is around 20. They lost two very savvy veteran players in Cal O'Reilly and Nate Prosser. This team needs some hardworking, veteran leadership.

That's probably why McLeod was brought in. Even though I think he's a puke and a cheapshot artist, he was known for his work ethic. Guy was never drafted and bounced around the AHL but never gave up trying to get on an NHL team until he finally made it and then spent 15 seasons in the NHL. After O'Reilly and Prosser left, this team needs someone with that work ethic, because they need to continue to build on their success in making the playoffs for the first time last season.

4 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Kurvers is the Iowa GM. He makes the call on signing players to Iowa contracts. These are strictly Iowa deals and have nothing to do with the Wild. I'm pretty sure none of these guys will see the Wild bench.

If you look at the players currently on the Iowa Wild roster, they are a young team. Average age is around 20. They lost two very savvy veteran players in Cal O'Reilly and Nate Prosser. This team needs some hardworking, veteran leadership.

That's probably why McLeod was brought in. Even though I think he's a puke and a cheapshot artist, he was known for his work ethic. Guy was never drafted and bounced around the AHL but never gave up trying to get on an NHL team until he finally made it and then spent 15 seasons in the NHL. After O'Reilly and Prosser left, this team needs someone with that work ethic, because they need to continue to build on their success in making the playoffs for the first time last season.

You, probably, used for calculation the official Wild link of players who are in our system. But not all of them are playing for the Iowa Wild team. Actually we do not have an average age around 20 there. We have in our Iowa Wild roster only 3 players(Bitten, Sokolov,Shaw) born in 1998(21 y.o.). The rest of the players are older and some of them a lot older than 21. Hope, we will see this season a couple players who are 20 y.o. - Lodnia; Gordeev and maybe Dewar too. I am thinking that our average Iowa Wild roster age is around 23-24 y.o. even after taking away from the list O'Reilly,Prosser,Read, Bouramman,Hammond and not adding those recent 3 contracts (2 of them 26 y.o. and one 35 y.o.). 
Here is Iowa Wild roster from the last season:

https://theahl.com/stats/roster/389/61?league=4

GM Bill Guerin announced yesterday of the most promising future stars  roster of the Wild NHL prospect team for the Traverse City Tournament of 2019 which I ever remember. Probably , that is going to be our future Wild core too: Sturm,Dewar, Giroux,Lodnia, Guskov, Sokolov, Gordeev, Beckman. Wish them all the best performance there!!! I am not sure about the outcome of that tough tournament for our team this year, because we are going to have in our team kind of plenty of unknown for us invitees(10) - 5 forwards and 5 defensemen. Hopefully, we will see more in the net Mat Robson than Baribeau and Jones. It seems New York Rangers will have a nice chance to win it by having an outstanding goaltending. Unfortunately also, we will not  be able to see there our Boldy(1st round), Firstov(2nd round), Nesterenko, Kahkonen, Lindberg. And other news too, Khovanov  is not going to participate at this tournament because he underwent successful surgery last week(August,23) to remove benign bone tumor(Osteoid Osteoma) in his left leg at the U of MN. Wish him a very fast recovery of it! Interesting , that I am working at this hospital too and know for a long period of time a surgeon Dr.Cheng who did a surgery for Khovanov. 
Here is an article to read about our roster:

https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/traverse-city-prospect-tournament-082719/c-308688104

• Like 1

Just checked rosters who are going to play against us in the Ted Lindsay Division of the Traverse City Tournament(Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, New York Rangers) which will compete for the Matthew Wuest Memorial Cup. Some of the teams included more invitees  and some of them less in their teams. Still would be interesting to watch those games and evaluate the performance of the promising prospects. Nice that we are playing there for almost 20 years. Actually, in fact , that the Wild team won that tournament twice - in 2003 and 2010 years.The most wins (5) having Columbus Blue Jackets so far who is going to be a defending champion of the last year. Interesting , for Columbus team is going to play a player with the same last name as our player - we will see a second Sokolov. For the New York Rangers team  we will have a chance to see a promising Kaapo Kakko, Kravtsov,Shesterkin(goaltender with an outstanding stats). Our first game there against Dallas on September 6th, at 2:00 p.m.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly , Gordeev (already 20 y.o.) was assigned back to OHL . I think he was pretty good at the Summer Camp as well as at the Traverse City Tournament this fall. Among the all defensemen there he was the most noticeable player. I would prefer to see him in AHL at least to get more of professional experience and evaluate his play better and closer in Iowa Wild team. Sokolov, Lodnia, Dewar were already sent to  the Iowa Wild. None of them as well as Guskov and Giroux  were not involved in both pre-season games. Sturm so far was performing well during the summer and is performing well now this fall. But still production for the big club is very low - 2 goals in 2 pre-season games (1 goal from Hartman and 1 from Sturm). Where are abundant goals from the big players of the big club? 

54 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Sadly , Gordeev (already 20 y.o.) was assigned back to OHL . I think he was pretty good at the Summer Camp as well as at the Traverse City Tournament this fall. Among the all defensemen there he was the most noticeable player. I would prefer to see him in AHL at least to get more of professional experience and evaluate his play better and closer in Iowa Wild team. Sokolov, Lodnia, Dewar were already sent to  the Iowa Wild. None of them as well as Guskov and Giroux  were not involved in both pre-season games. Sturm so far was performing well during the summer and is performing well now this fall. But still production for the big club is very low - 2 goals in 2 pre-season games (1 goal from Hartman and 1 from Sturm). Where are abundant goals from the big players of the big club? 

I wouldn’t get too worried about some of these guys. There’s no reason to rush any of them to the AHL and especially the Wild. None of them are going to make an impact this season. Plus, the Wild already have guys under contract. They can’t just cut players to make room for marginal prospects. 

As far as the scoring, I’d wait until after the season starts. These preseason games are just a lot of mixing and matching. Yeah it would be nice to see the top line scoring more. But I’m willing to see what happens over the next few weeks. 

6 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I wouldn’t get too worried about some of these guys. There’s no reason to rush any of them to the AHL and especially the Wild. None of them are going to make an impact this season. Plus, the Wild already have guys under contract. They can’t just cut players to make room for marginal prospects. 

As far as the scoring, I’d wait until after the season starts. These preseason games are just a lot of mixing and matching. Yeah it would be nice to see the top line scoring more. But I’m willing to see what happens over the next few weeks. 

Me too. I think if nothing good will happen actually in a first 2-3 months of the regular season(by losing lots of games), then the current coach will be moved out of the team sooner than the end of the season. Kind of a pessimistic thought so far regarding our nearest team's future.