2018 Minnesota Wild Draft Discussion .......

pilldoc

8 hours ago, Jagged Ice said:

Let's start the rebuild now. This is no longer a contending team. Fletcher has trashed this team and Fenton can't do a thing about it. 

I am 100% with you.  I said the same in a letter to CL with regard to my season tix.  I am tired of the same faux enthusiasm and marketing spin for a new season.  Unless I see a top line and powerplay that DOES NOT include the Three Princesses; I will know that nothing has changed.  You are locked into these dog$hit contracts for years to come.  That does not mean that you have to play them when their play does NOT justify doing so.  Koivu should never see time on PP, nor should he have more than 12-14 minutes of ice on line 3.  He got his retirement severance with his new deal.  Suter has no business on PP1, nor does Parise.  Suter should not see more than 20-22 minutes either.  Lastly, if I see these three start out in OT again (or play above a third grouping), I will get up and leave (and encourage those in my section to do the same).  

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:16 PM, rottenrefs said:

1. Never bite the hand that feeds you.

It's 100% likely that if any writer having access to the staff and players started dropping dirt on them, that access would quickly cease. It's also likely if he were to go that route with the Strib and/or the Athletic he wouldn't get a warm fuzzy from them. They too would lose access. There's a lot at stake.

The Wild's hand doesn't feed him--the Athletics does. My only point in my first response to CA was that I don't see Russo as having any real problem with the situation he's in, the only difference between where he is now and when he was previously employed by the Wild is who signs his check. And Russo has never dropped dirt on anyone as best I can remember--I don't see him starting now--IMO he does a terrific job. He'll just keep doing what he's been doing

9 hours ago, sweetshot said:

The Wild's hand doesn't feed him--the Athletics does. My only point in my first response to CA was that I don't see Russo as having any real problem with the situation he's in, the only difference between where he is now and when he was previously employed by the Wild is who signs his check. And Russo has never dropped dirt on anyone as best I can remember--I don't see him starting now--IMO he does a terrific job. He'll just keep doing what he's been doing

When I said never bite the hand that feeds you, I was referring to when Russo worked with the Strib, then the Athletic. The Wild feed both those outlets. So if either of those outlets have a writer dropping dirt on the Wild, the Strib and Athletic are the first to feel the impact.

1 hour ago, rottenrefs said:

When I said never bite the hand that feeds you, I was referring to when Russo worked with the Strib, then the Athletic. The Wild feed both those outlets. So if either of those outlets have a writer dropping dirt on the Wild, the Strib and Athletic are the first to feel the impact.

True. If you haven't checked out the Athletic I'd recommend it--tons of info and analysis.

On 7/1/2018 at 11:09 PM, EmptyShelf said:

I am 100% with you.  I said the same in a letter to CL with regard to my season tix.  I am tired of the same faux enthusiasm and marketing spin for a new season.  Unless I see a top line and powerplay that DOES NOT include the Three Princesses; I will know that nothing has changed.  You are locked into these dog$hit contracts for years to come.  That does not mean that you have to play them when their play does NOT justify doing so.  Koivu should never see time on PP, nor should he have more than 12-14 minutes of ice on line 3.  He got his retirement severance with his new deal.  Suter has no business on PP1, nor does Parise.  Suter should not see more than 20-22 minutes either.  Lastly, if I see these three start out in OT again (or play above a third grouping), I will get up and leave (and encourage those in my section to do the same).  

Word, we've been saying that for at least 4 seasons now...

On 7/1/2018 at 11:09 PM, EmptyShelf said:

See, that's the problem. You bitch at CL about the team, but still shell out money for the season tickets. He'd probably let you spank his ass and call him Judy just as long as you are shelling out for season tickets... 

I've always felt fans should hold the team accountable.  I don't mind fans boo'ing a poor effort.  I also don't think any team is entitled to people's fan dollars either.  As we stated for years on the old boards, the NHL is a league that gets most of its $$$ through ticket sales.  It doesn't have a great TV deal like the NFL.  If you want to compel ownership to change...stop buying the tickets that fuel the 'tweaking is good enough' philosophy.  Sure it would take more than just you stopping.  But get enough fans to do it, that message will be noticed.  

I also lobbied that fans should've stayed away from NHL arenas in lockout shortened season.  Why?  To show NHL owners / players that they will be punished for doing that.  But if its "We the sheeple" and everyone just comes back...they know they can do whatever they want because you'll keep coming back.  I was even interviewed by MPR the last time there was a lockout.  Unfortunately, people proved me wrong...but I took that pledge that was going around to not watch the games and I abided by it...for four games when it was clear everyone came running back like sheeple.  I still didn't go to a single game that season though and I didn't buy any NHL merch.  

MPR Interview

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 8:59 AM, IllaZilla said:

See, that's the problem. You bitch at CL about the team, but still shell out money for the season tickets. He'd probably let you spank his ass and call him Judy just as long as you are shelling out for season tickets... 

Point taken.  However, if there a number of us whom make it clear that we will ‘reassess season ticket purchases’ based upon the annual performance of the club and compare these actions with similar actions taken or pondered with other local sports teams - this is our only leverage until we make a decision to drop the tickets; which I know is being considered by more than a few people in my section.  For my part; I will drop them, and will not lock in my renewals without some hard assurances for change.  CF going was one of them.  I am sure I was not alone last summer.  I also eat before I go (when I don’t give tix to kids), and refuse to buy anything from the warming house.  If we are out in the first round next year, I, and others, told CL we won’t be renewing.  That is not just a threat - I have better places to invest $ for entertainment.  

5 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

Point taken.  However, if there a number of us whom make it clear that we will ‘reassess season ticket purchases’ based upon the annual performance of the club and compare these actions with similar actions taken or pondered with other local sports teams - this is our only leverage until we make a decision to drop the tickets; which I know is being considered by more than a few people in my section.  For my part; I will drop them, and will not lock in my renewals without some hard assurances for change.  CF going was one of them.  I am sure I was not alone last summer.  I also eat before I go (when I don’t give tix to kids), and refuse to buy anything from the warming house.  If we are out in the first round next year, I, and others, told CL we won’t be renewing.  That is not just a threat - I have better places to invest $ for entertainment.  

You can tell them you will 'reassess season ticket purchases' but if you still purchase them will they really care?  You told Craig Leipold you were not going to renew if they didn't make changes?  When and where?  

I think we can all find different outlets for entertainment than the Minnesota Wild.  Do they hold many STH 'town hall' discussions?  

I gave up my season tickets 2 years ago because I was tired of the soft team the Wild were constantly putting out on the ice (and because my kids schedules were getting crazier and crazier).  They actually had Wes Walz call me to try and get me to reconsider.  He told me a "secret" that the Wild were working hard to acquire Evgeni Malkin.  I told Walz the last thing the Wild needed was another old guy on a loooooong contract. Walz told me, (paraphrasing) "yeah, but he's one of the 10 best players in the world!"  I said, no thanks...  He mumbled some incoherent stuff that made him sound like he had a mouth full of oysters...pleaded with me to reconsider...then basically called me crazy for not taking advantage of his inside scoop.  Well, here we are...2 summers later...and it's the same ****, another season.  No Malkin.  The Tyrannical Trio is still calling the shots.  And, the team is two years older and slower. Heck, I don't even watch every Wild game anymore.  I used to DVR every game and sometimes watch them twice.  Now...if it's convenient for me...I'll watch them, but I'd rather be at the rink watching my kids play...100 times out of 100 times!

Evgeni Malkin eh?     Maybe Walz will call you this week and insist that Karlsson, Panarin and Pacioretty are locks to be in the fold by opening night!😊      

27 minutes ago, Davey J said:

I gave up my season tickets 2 years ago because I was tired of the soft team the Wild were constantly putting out on the ice (and because my kids schedules were getting crazier and crazier).  They actually had Wes Walz call me to try and get me to reconsider.  He told me a "secret" that the Wild were working hard to acquire Evgeni Malkin.  I told Walz the last thing the Wild needed was another old guy on a loooooong contract. Walz told me, (paraphrasing) "yeah, but he's one of the 10 best players in the world!"  I said, no thanks...  He mumbled some incoherent stuff that made him sound like he had a mouth full of oysters...pleaded with me to reconsider...then basically called me crazy for not taking advantage of his inside scoop.  Well, here we are...2 summers later...and it's the same ****, another season.  No Malkin.  The Tyrannical Trio is still calling the shots.  And, the team is two years older and slower. Heck, I don't even watch every Wild game anymore.  I used to DVR every game and sometimes watch them twice.  Now...if it's convenient for me...I'll watch them, but I'd rather be at the rink watching my kids play...100 times out of 100 times!

Almost sounds like when I gave up mine. At least they had someone notable call you. I got some sales rep that sounded like she was 18. Same thing: "You really want to give up your tickets? Why? Because we have lots of cool stuff planned for STH's! And we have cool giveaways too!" I decided I didn't need any more plastic replicas of the Stanley Cup or Wild flags or Wild hand towels or Wild coffee mugs or or magnet schedules or any other Wild tchotchkes. I found better things to do with my money that throw it at the Wild.

9 hours ago, Davey J said:

Image result for Bullshit meter image

It would not surprise me that they'd get Walz to shill for this team.  But we were going to acquire Malkin?!?!   Thanks for the laugh DaveyJ!  :lol: 

6 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Almost sounds like when I gave up mine. At least they had someone notable call you. I got some sales rep that sounded like she was 18. Same thing: "You really want to give up your tickets? Why? Because we have lots of cool stuff planned for STH's! And we have cool giveaways too!" I decided I didn't need any more plastic replicas of the Stanley Cup or Wild flags or Wild hand towels or Wild coffee mugs or or magnet schedules or any other Wild tchotchkes. I found better things to do with my money that throw it at the Wild.

We still have that mini Stanley Cup replica Theresa got when she went to the season opener against Calgary where Marc Chouinard got a hat trick.  Aww...the memories!  

To get back on the draft topic, might be interesting to keep track of the players the Wild passed on to draft Johansson. Just kind of compare what they passed on compared to how Johansson turns out. 

I wouldn't go into the second round, maybe just projected first rounders that were still available: Dominik Bokk, Joseph Veleno, Adam Ginning, Bode Wilde, Alexander Alexeyev, etc.

57 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

To get back on the draft topic, might be interesting to keep track of the players the Wild passed on to draft Johansson. Just kind of compare what they passed on compared to how Johansson turns out. 

I wouldn't go into the second round, maybe just projected first rounders that were still available: Dominik Bokk, Joseph Veleno, Adam Ginning, Bode Wilde, Alexander Alexeyev, etc.

Good idea.

Capitals took Alexander Alexeyev. Will see how he will perform there.

On 7/16/2018 at 9:29 AM, Davey J said:

Davey, We are getting older and older.:cool[1]:

8 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Bokk, Noel and Ginning especially.  

22 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Image result for Bullshit meter image

It would not surprise me that they'd get Walz to shill for this team.  But we were going to acquire Malkin?!?!   Thanks for the laugh DaveyJ!  :lol: 

I agree it's ********...but that's exactly what Walz told me.

1 hour ago, Antti_Laxative said:

I know this is the Wild draft discussion....but I can't for the life of me remember who my Habs took with the 3rd pick...I was distracted...but it looks like we muffed another first round pick

im sorry i was distracted - who did we pick again.jpg

🤣 I love a good pun!

Archived