2018 Minnesota Wild Draft Discussion .......

pilldoc

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I'd be surprised if any of these goalies are taken in the 1st round.  I think most will be 2nd and 3rd round picks.  

Maybe that isn't such a bad thing. Get Miller in the first and Skarek in the second...build from the back out! 

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Maybe that isn't such a bad thing. Get Miller in the first and Skarek in the second...build from the back out! 

We currently don't have a 2nd round pick.  We have a 1st, three 3rds, two 5ths, a 6th and a 7th round pick.  

48 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

We currently don't have a 2nd round pick.  We have a 1st, three 3rds, two 5ths, a 6th and a 7th round pick.  

Bummer...maybe one of them will last until the third...or maybe that Finlander they just signed will turn into the real deal...

4 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Bummer...maybe one of them will last until the third...or maybe that Finlander they just signed will turn into the real deal...

There are lots of mixed feelings about this draft class.  Some places you see the same player projected as a 2nd rounder and then as 6th rounder in another.  I am about 3/4ths finished with my last draft focused article before the draft itself...my Draft Sleeper picks.  

On 6/7/2018 at 5:29 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

There are lots of mixed feelings about this draft class.  Some places you see the same player projected as a 2nd rounder and then as 6th rounder in another.  I am about 3/4ths finished with my last draft focused article before the draft itself...my Draft Sleeper picks.  

What are your thoughts on this Akil Thomas a lot of mock drafts have the Wild picking? Seems to me to be another undersized playmaker...

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

What are your thoughts on this Akil Thomas a lot of mock drafts have the Wild picking? Seems to me to be another undersized playmaker...

First thought...(blech)  He is a perimeter player.  Inconsistent, especially in bigger games.  While he moves well, like you said he's another undersized playmaker.  He has a decent shot, quick release...but isn't a big goal scorer.  He was not in any of ISS' Top 5 categories (ex. best playmaker, best scorer, best skater, etc).  He is a right handed shot.  He has two-way ability.  Shifty, but is pretty light...needs to add strength.  

If this is the Wild's pick...(yawn)  I'd really hate to see who we passed up on.  K'Andre Miller is still my ideal target, everything I read about him is pretty positive and he seems to have a ton of potential.  

If we are to draft a forward, I'd like to see us draft a player that is more of a finisher, skates well and won't hesitate to play in the high traffic parts of the ice.  Akil Thomas didn't make my Top 5.  Reading the draft guides, Thomas gets knocked for not always playing with a high level of focus, at times making lazy or weak plays with the puck that result in turnovers.  Some NHL scouts are quoted as saying they don't think he should be a 1st round pick, and those quotes came as late as May of 2018.  

This team does not need another playmaker. They have an over abundance of playmakers. They need a scorer, or at least a player with a shoot first mentality. 

But it I am really hoping for Miller. They need someone like him on the blue line. Or a couple of Miller’s on the blue line. The Wilds defense reminds me of Denny Greens old Prevent Defense. Don’t really stop anyone, just kind of get in their way. 

41 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

This team does not need another playmaker. They have an over abundance of playmakers. They need a scorer, or at least a player with a shoot first mentality. 

But it I am really hoping for Miller. They need someone like him on the blue line. Or a couple of Miller’s on the blue line. The Wilds defense reminds me of Denny Greens old Prevent Defense. Don’t really stop anyone, just kind of get in their way. 

Remember...there are two teams that came to play today, but only one of them can win.  

It seems Andrei Svechnikov (RW) is slated to go to Carolina in the #2 slot in the 1st round. I'd like to see Minnesota trade their 1st round pick, one of their third round picks and Ennis in a deal to somehow get this guy. 

17 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

It seems Andrei Svechnikov (RW) is slated to go to Carolina in the #2 slot in the 1st round. I'd like to see Minnesota trade their 1st round pick, one of their third round picks and Ennis in a deal to somehow get this guy. 

Let's flip it around. You are Carolina. You have a shot at Svechnikov. Would you take that deal?

46 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Let's flip it around. You are Carolina. You have a shot at Svechnikov. Would you take that deal?

I'd be 50/50. Ennis can't really fit our needs but in Carolina a whole different deal.

How about a 1st and two thirds?

The point is we need an aspiring RW, already have some forward depth plus some kids already being developed... They'd get an already developed player and get some depth out of 2-3 picks.

The sad part is both teams need a hungry RW'er.

Initially I thought to deal Coyle instead of Ennis... (then keep our 1st round pick and deal a 3rd round pick.) But the first step as GM is to part with Ennis somehow rather than doing another buyout. That sh!t is getting old.

2 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

I'd be 50/50. Ennis can't really fit our needs but in Carolina a whole different deal.

The point is we need an aspiring RW, already have some forward depth plus some kids already being developed... They'd get an already developed player and get some depth out of 2-3 picks.

Initially I thought to deal Coyle instead of Ennis... (then keep our 1st round pick and deal a 3rd round pick.) But the first step as GM is to part with Ennis somehow rather than doing another buyout. That sh!t is getting old.

If I was Carolina's GM I would need a lot more. This kid is supposed to be a game changer. But that's just me.

I agree with you, no more buyouts. But unfortunately, I believe that is exactly what is going to happen. This team is bumping the cap so hard that they need every dollar they can get. Be nice if they can move him to a team that is trying to reach the cap floor, but I just don't see that happening.

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

If I was Carolina's GM I would need a lot more. This kid is supposed to be a game changer. But that's just me.

I agree with you, no more buyouts. But unfortunately, I believe that is exactly what is going to happen. This team is bumping the cap so hard that they need every dollar they can get. Be nice if they can move him to a team that is trying to reach the cap floor, but I just don't see that happening.

True. If only we had a GM that started negotiations (low) and worked their way up to not selling the farm eh?

If they cannot create a ‘trade package’ of some player, our first, and a 3rd rounder or two - they better scout the hell out of this draft to get as close to a ‘sure thing’ as they can in the first, and quality depth with their 3 third rounders.  No more ‘flushed picks’, which CF and DR saddled us with.  This team needs new blood in the worst way, and this blood needs to be shoot-first, and gritty large fast skaters with a bit of ‘nasty.’   No more limp wrists, and ole types need be added.  

1 hour ago, EmptyShelf said:

If they cannot create a ‘trade package’ of some player, our first, and a 3rd rounder or two - they better scout the hell out of this draft to get as close to a ‘sure thing’ as they can in the first, and quality depth with their 3 third rounders.  No more ‘flushed picks’, which CF and DR saddled us with.  This team needs new blood in the worst way, and this blood needs to be shoot-first, and gritty large fast skaters with a bit of ‘nasty.’   No more limp wrists, and ole types need be added.  

Not sure about a trade package with such a deep free agency class to look forward to.  This draft is ok through the 1st two rounds, beyond that...the confidence slides quite a bit with this group.  

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Not sure about a trade package with such a deep free agency class to look forward to.  This draft is ok through the 1st two rounds, beyond that...the confidence slides quite a bit with this group.  

I always look at the Burns trade as kind of a benchmark for realistic trades...Burns was traded for a top prospect (Coyle (2010 1st Rnd)), a current NHLer (Setoguchi) and a current first round draft pick (2011 #28 overall).

Or the Latendresse/Pouliot or Niederreitter/Clutterbuck trade.  A one for one, maybe a player that has potential but needs a change of scenery.

And if this team is truly only looking at "tweaks", I can't see them making a move in the draft. They really don't have the draft picks to give up anyways. Unless it's one of these deals where they trade their first rounder to pick up two second rounders, or something like that.

But if the UFA class is as deep as you say, then that is the route they will go. With a deep UFA class, that will depress compensation packages, so they might find a deal or two out there among the available UFA's. Maybe another Eric Staal, but I don't think this team can even afford a reasonable $3M/year deal.

But by the same token unless they trade up to get a top 5-ish player this team is already loaded with players that aren't game changers. To get a game changer they're going to have to be creative.

Unless of course their goal is to keep getting players that aren't game changers.

2 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

But by the same token unless they trade up to get a top 5-ish player this team is already loaded with players that aren't game changers. To get a game changer they're going to have to be creative.

Unless of course their goal is to keep getting players that aren't game changers.

I don't disagree with you, but it seems the only way to get those game changers is to be terrible. The last 18 #1 picks were all chosen by the team that had the #1 pick. That pick was never traded.

Leipold is in a "Win Now" mode with his "tweaks" comment, so I can't see them drastically changing the roster via trades to get a top 5 pick that may not be ready for 1-2 or even 3 years.  If they are going to make a trade, I think it may be like the Latendresse/Pouliot trade. Exchanging promising players in the hope that a change of scenery will ignite them.

And I wouldn't trust this scouting staff to draft the right player if they had one of the top two picks anyways...

28 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I don't disagree with you, but it seems the only way to get those game changers is to be terrible. The last 18 #1 picks were all chosen by the team that had the #1 pick. That pick was never traded.

Leipold is in a "Win Now" mode with his "tweaks" comment, so I can't see them drastically changing the roster via trades to get a top 5 pick that may not be ready for 1-2 or even 3 years.  If they are going to make a trade, I think it may be like the Latendresse/Pouliot trade. Exchanging promising players in the hope that a change of scenery will ignite them.

And I wouldn't trust this scouting staff to draft the right player if they had one of the top two picks anyways...

Yeah, I don't disagree with you either.

While I was cautiously optimistic back when they acquired Parise and Suter, I wasn't holding my breath thinking they would be their way to the Cup. To the playoffs sure, but the team needed more to get to the Cup. Since their arrival that hasn't changed at all with the team except they've gotten a lot older (quicker) because they've been burning themselves out; and they aren't talented enough (except in their own minds) to take anything to the next level.

The worst thing is how they've limited younger players and their roles.

On 6/9/2018 at 2:15 PM, rottenrefs said:

Carolina is teetering on a firesale and then massive rebuild.  Don Waddell is probably just salivating at the chance to trade Noah Hanifin to the Islanders for Andrew Ladd.  Honestly...as foolish as the Hurricanes are likely to be, even he wouldn't trade even a 5th round pick for Tyler Ennis.  No chance this happens.  

I could see the Wild maybe trading Dumba (if they feel is salary boost will be to expensive) to Montreal though...especially if Tkachuk is available.  The question is, would Dumba be enough by himself to get that pick or would they want our 1st AND Dumba?  

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Carolina is teetering on a firesale and then massive rebuild.  Don Waddell is probably just salivating at the chance to trade Noah Hanifin to the Islanders for Andrew Ladd.  Honestly...as foolish as the Hurricanes are likely to be, even he wouldn't trade even a 5th round pick for Tyler Ennis.  No chance this happens.  

I could see the Wild maybe trading Dumba (if they feel is salary boost will be to expensive) to Montreal though...especially if Tkachuk is available.  The question is, would Dumba be enough by himself to get that pick or would they want our 1st AND Dumba?  

Ennis with a 1st and a 3rd... not just Ennis. If they don't bite on it, try negotiating Coyle with a 3rd pick and maintain our 1st rounder... and so on.

4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

This will just be typical of the Wild's ineptitude. Let Haula and Tuch go to Vegas to protect Dumba, and then trade him the next year...JFC...

Jack Fierrare told his close personal friend Sid Hartman that he's looking at this older-than-average Russian, something like a latter-day Helmut Balderis, named Vladmir Putin, who has been filling the net lately. The only goalie that can can stop his butterfly wrister was just traded to the Siberian Icicles, in what is considered a "lesser-league...."  

Archived