2018 Minnesota Wild Draft Discussion .......

pilldoc

1 hour ago, Icechipper said:

Jack Fierrare told his close personal friend Sid Hartman that he's looking at this older-than-average Russian, something like a latter-day Helmut Balderis, named Vladmir Putin, who has been filling the net lately. The only goalie that can can stop his butterfly wrister was just traded to the Siberian Icicles, in what is considered a "lesser-league...."  

You mean Ilya Kovalchuk?  

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/9/2018 at 2:00 PM, rottenrefs said:

It seems Andrei Svechnikov (RW) is slated to go to Carolina in the #2 slot in the 1st round. I'd like to see Minnesota trade their 1st round pick, one of their third round picks and Ennis in a deal to somehow get this guy. 

You better include Kunin, Ek, or Greenway (probably 2 of them) to that deal.  

3 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Hahaha...did you see the Athletic's mock draft.  They had us picking Jesse Ylonen..YUCK!!!  A weak perimeter player just what the Wild need :rolleyes:

No I did not. But it wouldn't surprise me.

But geez, people are all over the map with the Wild:

Ryan McLeod

Matthias Samuelsson

Akil Thomas

Calen Addison

Ryan Markley

Grigori Denisenko

Bo Groulx

4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Hahaha...did you see the Athletic's mock draft.  They had us picking Jesse Ylonen..YUCK!!!  A weak perimeter player just what the Wild need :rolleyes:

I actually had to check who this guy is, because I haven't noticed him at all. He doesn't look like anything special.

4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

All the Athletic has to do is talk to the Wild GMs, Parise, Suter and Koivu. You can feel what players they think will be better than them and know for sure the Wild will not pick those players. 🤣

6 hours ago, Davey J said:

You better include Kunin, Ek, or Greenway (probably 2 of them) to that deal if you don’t want to get laughed at!  

No bad idea at all. I would say - a pretty smart brave deal. Sokolov and Svechnikov had together an established chemistry in OHL and a Russian U-20 team, but Ek, Kunin and a Greenway still looking for their real chemistry with some other Wild players and could not find yet. 

5 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

No I did not. But it wouldn't surprise me.

But geez, people are all over the map with the Wild:

Ryan McLeod

Matthias Samuelsson

Akil Thomas

Calen Addison

Ryan Markley

Grigori Denisenko

Bo Groulx

There are a few on this list that sound pretty good.  But Merkley?  Yikes, overrated and small puck mover...and Bo Groulx...yuck.  Denisenko, he's got gamebreaker potential I'm fine with that.  Samuelsson is a big, physical defenseman...I'd be ok with him too.  McLeod sounds like he has all the physical tools but has some shortcomings in the decision-making part of the game but he can fly and IMO fits in today's speed-first league.  

On 6/12/2018 at 10:40 AM, Davey J said:

You better include Kunin, Ek, or Greenway (probably 2 of them) to that deal.  

That may be your move, or Chuck Fletcher's but I'm not one to give up a 1st round pick with nicely developing 1st round players.

Did you not learn anything when Fletcher gave up Haula and Tuch?

1 hour ago, Alexandron said:

No bad idea at all. I would say - a pretty smart brave deal. Sokolov and Svechnikov had together an established chemistry in OHL and a Russian U-20 team, but Ek, Kunin and a Greenway still looking for their real chemistry with some other Wild players and could not find yet. 

Please don't forget though, Ek, Kunin and Greenway have only been playing alongside much older vets. The Wild are horsesh!t when it comes to letting younger players develop together once they see a few games alongside many of those boat-anchor vets.

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

There are a few on this list that sound pretty good.  But Merkley?  Yikes, overrated and small puck mover...and Bo Groulx...yuck.  Denisenko, he's got gamebreaker potential I'm fine with that.  Samuelsson is a big, physical defenseman...I'd be ok with him too.  McLeod sounds like he has all the physical tools but has some shortcomings in the decision-making part of the game but he can fly and IMO fits in today's speed-first league.  

I think they should go defense. The current defense is only ok at best. I mean when you have to keep bringing Prosser back after letting him go year after year because none of your draft picks can cut it or because all you can afford is old guys looking for one last paycheck you’re not going to get very far. 

I’d love to see them get Miller, but I wouldn’t be upset if they landed Kjell Samuelsson’s kid. 

I just don’t want to see them draft that “character “ guy they always seem to go for...

On 6/12/2018 at 6:29 PM, rottenrefs said:

That may be your move, or Chuck Fletcher's but I'm not one to give up a 1st round pick with nicely developing 1st round players.

Did you not learn anything when Fletcher gave up Haula and Tuch?

that's not my move...I wouldn't do it either.  All I was saying that your "offer" was laughable.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:57 PM, Davey J said:

that's not my move...I wouldn't do it either.  All I was saying that your "offer" was laughable.

Well Chuck, obviously you didn't read the other posts regarding it. Typical manager. You deserve a big raise.

11 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I think they should go defense. The current defense is only ok at best. I mean when you have to keep bringing Prosser back after letting him go year after year because none of your draft picks can cut it or because all you can afford is old guys looking for one last paycheck you’re not going to get very far. 

I’d love to see them get Miller, but I wouldn’t be upset if they landed Kjell Samuelsson’s kid. 

I just don’t want to see them draft that “character “ guy they always seem to go for...

I agree.  Miller is certainly the ideal choice IMO.  Mattias Samuelsson would be a decent consolation prize, the possible caveat with him would be, could we trade down and still pick Samuelsson.  There are not that many quality defenseman with size in this draft.  There are tons of 5'10"-5'11" puck moving types in this draft class.  Even among the bigger defenseman, many are not physical.  

On 6/9/2018 at 3:15 PM, rottenrefs said:

I'd be 50/50. Ennis can't really fit our needs but in Carolina a whole different deal.

How about a 1st and two thirds?

The point is we need an aspiring RW, already have some forward depth plus some kids already being developed... They'd get an already developed player and get some depth out of 2-3 picks.

The sad part is both teams need a hungry RW'er.

Initially I thought to deal Coyle instead of Ennis... (then keep our 1st round pick and deal a 3rd round pick.) But the first step as GM is to part with Ennis somehow rather than doing another buyout. That sh!t is getting old.

The point is, your offer isn't even close.  The #24, a 3rd rounder, and a waste of bench space...and you expect to get the 2nd best player in a good draft???  

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

2018 Wild Draft Preview: Sleeper Picks

I put together a list of guys that would be more likely to be mid-to-late round selections that could be real steals.  Wouters to me sounds like a very Wild-like pick, but to be honest I think he'd fit in great.  Enjoy and discuss...

I'd stay away from that Karki kid unless you get him in the 7th round. Both the USNTDP and UND bailed on him? Must've been some pretty serious off-ice problems...

14 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I'd stay away from that Karki kid unless you get him in the 7th round. Both the USNTDP and UND bailed on him? Must've been some pretty serious off-ice problems...

I know more...but since I can't confirm what I was told I'm not going to write about it.  But yea, if what I know is true, you'd be right.  However, scouts will also say that he has NHL starter ability.  Is drafting a kid like Karki late in the draft any worse than drafting the son of a scout just to see the look on his face like the team did a few years back?  

20 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I know more...but since I can't confirm what I was told I'm not going to write about it.  But yea, if what I know is true, you'd be right.  However, scouts will also say that he has NHL starter ability.  Is drafting a kid like Karki late in the draft any worse than drafting the son of a scout just to see the look on his face like the team did a few years back?  

I've seen some rumors about why "he left" the USNTDP. He almost deserves to not be drafted and then have to sign as a free agent for the minimum...

And I don't get too upset with late round draft picks, since only about 13% of the players drafted in rounds 4-7 turn into NHLers...

6 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

2018 Wild Draft Preview: Sleeper Picks

I put together a list of guys that would be more likely to be mid-to-late round selections that could be real steals.  Wouters to me sounds like a very Wild-like pick, but to be honest I think he'd fit in great.  Enjoy and discuss...

Cheers for the read, really enjoy your articles. 😎

I'd personally go for a D on the 1st round. We sorely need one or two top-4 defenders. If Miller isn't available when we get to pick, I'd go with Samuelsson or Bode Wilde, though I'm guessing Wilde is gone even before Miller. But one can dream! Now if none of them are available? Vitali Kravtsov (I know he's a forward. :NinjaLookLeftRight1:)

Of our 3rd rounders, one probably has to be a goalie. Question is, do we want a backup or a rival for Kahkonen? Kahkonen has had a good year, so I'm guessing the Wild management wants to develop him to be a future starter. Hopefully the transition from Euro ice to North American ice is smooth for him. As for the pick? Jacub Scarek, if we go for rivalry, Jared Moe if backup.

The rest of the 3rds? Chase Wouters would be one. From the looks of it, he's even a potential captain in the future. If we go by work ethic alone that is. For the last one I can't really say. Ryan O'Reilly? Can play C and RW. Has leadership experience. Could fill the leadership void in Iowa. Matej Pekar? USHL Rookie of the Year.

K'Andre Miller is my top selection if I'm the Wild.  If he's taken...I'd probably go with a forward if Denisenko or Kravtsov is available.  

Wouters looks great to me.  

Kiss - I'd be interested to hear what rumors you've heard.  Tell me on Twitter via DM.  

On 6/13/2018 at 9:48 AM, Davey J said:

The point is, your offer isn't even close.  The #24, a 3rd rounder, and a waste of bench space...and you expect to get the 2nd best player in a good draft???  

That was the first phase introducing something for negotiations.

The second phase was to swap Ennis for Coyle and drop the 1st round pick. Determining their reaction possibly then include the 3rd round pick too.

4 hours ago, Lonkkis said:

Cheers for the read, really enjoy your articles. 😎

I'd personally go for a D on the 1st round. We sorely need one or two top-4 defenders. If Miller isn't available when we get to pick, I'd go with Samuelsson or Bode Wilde, though I'm guessing Wilde is gone even before Miller. But one can dream! Now if none of them are available? Vitali Kravtsov (I know he's a forward. :NinjaLookLeftRight1:)

Of our 3rd rounders, one probably has to be a goalie. Question is, do we want a backup or a rival for Kahkonen? Kahkonen has had a good year, so I'm guessing the Wild management wants to develop him to be a future starter. Hopefully the transition from Euro ice to North American ice is smooth for him. As for the pick? Jacub Scarek, if we go for rivalry, Jared Moe if backup.

The rest of the 3rds? Chase Wouters would be one. From the looks of it, he's even a potential captain in the future. If we go by work ethic alone that is. For the last one I can't really say. Ryan O'Reilly? Can play C and RW. Has leadership experience. Could fill the leadership void in Iowa. Matej Pekar? USHL Rookie of the Year.

I agree, I do think they need to go for defense. The two-headed Reilly/Olofsson experiment blew up in their face badly enough they had to pick up Nate Prosser (again) to fill out their back end. Nothing against Prosser, he knows his job and what he is. The problem was that Fletcher believed either Reilly or Olofsson would replace Scandella. Yeah, no. And that defense scares no one when they come over the blueline. Only Dumba will hit anyone. Brodin doesn't want to break a nail, Suter doesn't want to break a hip, Spurgeon just bounces off people,  and I've seen parking cones do more damage than Olofsson.

I don't think you draft a goalie with the intent that he will make a good back up. Go after someone with the intent that they will start for you someday. If they don't hack it as a starter, them maybe they do make a good back up. If you go after a back up and they can't hack it, you've got bupkiss...

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

I agree, I do think they need to go for defense. The two-headed Reilly/Olofsson experiment blew up in their face badly enough they had to pick up Nate Prosser (again) to fill out their back end. Nothing against Prosser, he knows his job and what he is. The problem was that Fletcher believed either Reilly or Olofsson would replace Scandella. Yeah, no. And that defense scares no one when they come over the blueline. Only Dumba will hit anyone. Brodin doesn't want to break a nail, Suter doesn't want to break a hip, Spurgeon just bounces off people,  and I've seen parking cones do more damage than Olofsson.

I don't think you draft a goalie with the intent that he will make a good back up. Go after someone with the intent that they will start for you someday. If they don't hack it as a starter, them maybe they do make a good back up. If you go after a back up and they can't hack it, you've got bupkiss...

The plus side is Fenton is supposedly defensively oriented. But I can see the Wild sitting back and relying on Seeler and Saucy then going after a forward.

Archived