2018 Minnesota Wild Draft Discussion .......

pilldoc

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@CreaseAndAssist I've always liked Faulk. The one that plays for Carolina and not the one we had and have always wanted him on our team, same can be said for Skinner. Not sure what it would take to Pry Faulk and or Skinner away from Carolina but they have Cap room projected to have $27,352,502 but I'd assume they're looking for picks/young players.

If the Wild could manage to replace Spurgeon and Brodin for McDonagh and Faulk I would certainly consider it. They wouldn't be getting too much older and they would definitely add size and toughness.  The big question is what those two would command in extensions.  In this scenario, they could end up with: Suter at $7.5, Dumba, Faulk, and McDonagh all at around $5-6.  That's a lot of money to spend on defensemen...but, it would be a very, very good 4some.

I'm not a proponent of Leipold's "tweaks" as a fix for this franchise, but these tweaks would certainly change the dynamic of the team.

52 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I'm ambivalent.  I think Justin Faulk would be more productive here.  But he's older than Dumba.  Yet if he's looking for $6 million...see ya.  

The way contracts are going this summer, $6million is last year's $5million...

Looking closer at Carolina's team, they have absolutely no need to acquire a LHD (Brodin) for Faulk.  They need a forward so making this happen will require a separate deal.  Just to make @rottenrefshappy, I will post a cap friendly.com roster soon...

22 hours ago, Davey J said:

Looking closer at Carolina's team, they have absolutely no need to acquire a LHD (Brodin) for Faulk.  They need a forward so making this happen will require a separate deal.  Just to make @rottenrefshappy, I will post a cap friendly.com roster soon...

Btw, Ennis and Charlie Coyle are forwards. 

Your capfriendly toy box: No one cares. Oh wait, I see IllaZilla crashed your parade.

I find it interesting as much as the Wild covet Spurgeon and Brodin you keep trying to get rid of them. So far you have yet to notice these aren't plastic army pieces you can just dump and plug in another replacement. Spurgeon has 6 years under his belt establishing himself in the Wild's defensive scheme and Brodin 7 years.

If the Wild's d-core isn't already screwed up enough already by constant juggling around you want to shake it up some more?

19 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

Btw, Ennis and Charlie Coyle are forwards. 

Your capfriendly toy box: No one cares. Oh wait, I see IllaZilla crashed your parade.

I find it interesting as much as the Wild covet Spurgeon and Brodin you keep trying to get rid of them. So far you have yet to notice these aren't plastic army pieces you can just dump and plug in another replacement. Spurgeon has 6 years under his belt establishing himself in the Wild's defensive scheme and Brodin 7 years.

If the Wild's d-core isn't already screwed up enough already by constant juggling around you want to shake it up some more?

BTW, Ennis has negative trade value...not no value, negative trade value.  What that means is in order to move him and his contract, the Wild would have give MORE to the team taking on his contract.  For example, Ennis plus a 3rd round pick to a team for a 7th round pick.  That's how you get rid of bad contracts.  You think he can be added to a trade to entice a team to make the deal, when in reality, he makes whatever else you are offering less valuable.  Get it now???  That's about as simple as I can break it down for you...

On 6/15/2018 at 2:44 PM, Davey J said:

BTW, Ennis has negative trade value...not no value, negative trade value.  What that means is in order to move him and his contract, the Wild would have give MORE to the team taking on his contract.  For example, Ennis plus a 3rd round pick to a team for a 7th round pick.  That's how you get rid of bad contracts.  You think he can be added to a trade to entice a team to make the deal, when in reality, he makes whatever else you are offering less valuable.  Get it now???  That's about as simple as I can break it down for you...

As I've pretty much said several times... You open up talks with a team (nothing is in writing) and give them a sales pitch. You don't open your hand right away giving them your final offer first. You pitch them a few things (fishing) to see what kind of interest they may have.

Basically you play poker with them while not showing them all your cards... Especially not your strong ones right out of the chute. You have to understand how to play chess - 5, 6 or 10-15 moves ahead if possible. Everyone knows Fletcher wasn't very shrewd with some of his deals by giving up draft picks for rentals and such. Yet he blew it with trading Burns. Blew it several other times by giving up too much.

Vegas came in and orchestrated some tremendous deals right out of the gate. If so many teams are THAT open to making bad trades (on their behalf, not the Knights) then there's room to negotiate.

You can think I'm a fool all you want (I know Ennis isn't worth anything) but you have to know how to play ball with other teams without constantly giving up more than what you take in. The pitch, maybe not in-tune with your way of thinking isn't so much about trying to give them a not so good a player, but to see if they're more interested in a player (as I mentioned countless times - a possible player to be named later) or draft choices. Likely they won't bite at Ennis but may say 'I like the draft picks but who else have you got instead of Ennis?'

In this case Coyle could be a likely candidate because he's not doing much here (he keeps slipping) and maybe he needs new scenery. You keep trying to get rid of d-men who we desperately need (in Spurgeon and Brodin.) Those two players don't need a change of scenery. Both are playing about as good as one can expect and each of the last few years they continue to rise in what they're doing for the team.

As I said, we're short on defense already. Depth is terrible. I don't care who we get to boost the offense, but getting rid of either of two of our most value increasing defense-men certainly isn't a good move. Especially since it's a huge known that we've needed another really good d-man for at the very least the last 4 years.

Before I explain where I disagree with you...  I understand the strategy/logic of your points...and they make sense, in theory. However, there are two points I completely disagree with you and/or you are simply wrong:  1) Ennis is SO worthless (negative value), that having him involved in a real hockey trade would get you (anyone) hung up on and laughed at...and you (again, anyone) would lose all credibility in the negotiation.  He is not even worthy of being part of an initial offer. The only scenario where he might make sense is when dealing with a team needing to get to the cap floor because his actual salary is almost a million less than his cap hit.  Any other scenario, and he would have to be packaged with more value than you would be getting in return.  The Wild simply do not have the resources to trade him this way.  2) The vast majority of my trade scenarios involving Spurgeon and Brodin have at least one big time d-man coming back, most of the time two.  When it is one, I usually "sign" a UFA d-man to fill the void.  My favorite scenario is: Adam Larsson and Darnell Nurse for Spurgeon and Brodin.  The Wild get much bigger and meaner...which is something they need a lot more than having a bunch of redundant d-men as they have now.  The defenseman they have been lacking for years (as you argued) is not a top 4 d-man, but a bottom pairing guy.  If Fletcher had a clue, he could have acquired 100 players not named Quincey to fill that void over the years.  The other scenarios where I "trade" Spurgeon or Brodin is for a big, fast, right-shot forward.  This is (obviously) another area of great need for the Wild.  So, it's not that I'm giving them away for nothing...or nothing the Wild need.  I am using their value to acquire value that is of a much bigger need (size, snarl, and/or scoring).  And, the guys I am "acquiring" aren't JUST big and mean, they are very good players in their own right.  The other reason I want these two traded above all others is because of 2 reasons: 1) They have value - it takes something to get something.  2) I think both shrivel up in the playoffs and simply are not made of the material requisite of enduring a loooooong playoff run.  As an Armchair GM, I am not trying to figure out how to make (keep) the Wild a very good regular season team - I am trying to figure out ways to get this team to be truly competitive in the playoffs.  It's sort of the business side vs. the hockey side stuff.  I favor the hockey side...whereas idiot Lieopld clearly favors the other...regardless of the Red McCombs-like crap he shovels to the sheep.

Anyways, I appreciate you reaching out.  Maybe these are areas we will never agree on.  Life goes on...

On 6/12/2018 at 3:03 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

There are a few on this list that sound pretty good.  But Merkley?  Yikes, overrated and small puck mover...

He's a huge gamble and I'll be watching close to see where he lands. He's a defenseman who doesn't play defense at all. Which explains the minus -29.  67 pts though in 63 games in the OHL for a defensman is impressive. People who watch him (I have not other than YT videos) claim he's very gifted offensively. I've also read if he could play defense he'd be drafted after Svechnikov. He's projected to go anywhere from 15-25. 

Not overly small at 5'11. He's 17 until August so the baby of this class.

6 hours ago, Jagged Ice said:

He's a huge gamble and I'll be watching close to see where he lands. He's a defenseman who doesn't play defense at all. Which explains the minus -29.  67 pts though in 63 games in the OHL for a defensman is impressive. People who watch him (I have not other than YT videos) claim he's very gifted offensively. I've also read if he could play defense he'd be drafted after Svechnikov. He's projected to go anywhere from 15-25. 

Not overly small at 5'11. He's 17 until August so the baby of this class.

I watched a Guelph game this season and this pretty much sums it up.  He was the Storm's most talented player but he was pretty indifferent and uninspired in his own end.  I don't see an offensive defenseman who cares so little for his own end of the ice being able to last in the NHL too long.  I saw a player who looked like he was more interested in building up his own stat line than worrying about the score of the game and IMO the Wild do not need to waste their time or their pick on a player like that.  

Could've been behind Svechnikov if he only played defense...think about that.  As a defenseman, if he could only play defense.  Sorry...hard pass on that guy.  I am 100% not interested in him at all.  

Its hilarious to see Russo mention how bad of a pick Zack Phillips was.  The skating issues were pretty well documented BEFORE they made that pick.  I almost think they made the Brent Burns deal, were happy they got Setoguchi and Coyle...and the 28th they treated it almost like a throwaway.  Russo was pretty easy on them for some other throwaway picks in these drafts; guys who barely played or flat out quit the game before their junior or college careers were even over with.  

Ty Dellandrea 

Ty Dellandrea is a player I am getting more and more intrigued with.  He's a big(ish) right-shot center with tons of speed.  He's a late riser and very young for this year's draft class.  

Anyone else with opinions on him?

6 hours ago, Davey J said:

Ty Dellandrea 

Ty Dellandrea is a player I am getting more and more intrigued with.  He's a big(ish) right-shot center with tons of speed.  He's a late riser and very young for this year's draft class.  

Anyone else with opinions on him?

He played reasonably well on a bad Flint Firebirds' team.  A decent passer with a good shot, at times forces bad passes.  A right-hand shot.  Plays a two-way game.  Good release, but at times almost waits too long for plays to develop.  Had a good U-18's.  Moves well with above average size.  Kind of safe pick.  Inconsistent in his shifts and scouts wonder if he'll be much of a scorer at the NHL level.  I'm not overly enamored.    

19 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

He played reasonably well on a bad Flint Firebirds' team.  A decent passer with a good shot, at times forces bad passes.  A right-hand shot.  Plays a two-way game.  Good release, but at times almost waits too long for plays to develop.  Had a good U-18's.  Moves well with above average size.  Kind of safe pick.  I'm not overly enamored.    

Safe pick = 100% Wild pick

There are quite a few intriguing prospects who might be available at 24 but a good sized kid who shoots right, can fly, competes, is a rapid riser while being very young for this draft...he might be safe, but he might be a potential homerun too.  

2 hours ago, Davey J said:

There are quite a few intriguing prospects who might be available at 24 but a good sized kid who shoots right, can fly, competes, is a rapid riser while being very young for this draft...he might be safe, but he might be a potential homerun too.  

My sources tell me his skating has issues, not Phillips-like issues...but its a sore spot in his game.  I heard he competes, but its intermittent and at times he can lose his man in the defensive zone.  Homerun?  Nope.  He's kind of a blah player who could be a bit of a downer...IMO there are other players who have more potential AND safer selections.  

Archived