2018 Minnesota Wild Draft Discussion .......

pilldoc

13 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

My sources tell me his skating has issues, not Phillips-like issues...but its a sore spot in his game.  I heard he competes, but its intermittent and at times he can lose his man in the defensive zone.  Homerun?  Nope.  He's kind of a blah player who could be a bit of a downer...IMO there are other players who have more potential AND safer selections.  

He's my prediction for the Wild's 1st pick (barring a trade).  I think he makes a lot of sense.  With that said, I will take K'andre Miller over him if he's available.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be a bit leary of a guy rocketing up the draft lists just before the draft.

Kind of reminds me of when the odds on a horse suddenly start changing 2 minutes before post time because Moose and Rocco suddenly dumped a bunch of money at the betting window...

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I'd be a bit leary of a guy rocketing up the draft lists just before the draft.

Kind of reminds me of when the odds on a horse suddenly start changing 2 minutes before post time because Moose and Rocco suddenly dumped a bunch of money at the betting window...

For the Wild its worked out two very different ways....

Brent Burns, rose like 100 spots from mid-terms to final rankings...eventually won a Norris Trophy, not for the Wild though.  

Brett Bulmer, rose like a 100 spots from mid-terms to final rankings...was our first of three 2nd round picks in 2010 (the other two were Johan Larsson and Jason Zucker)...got injured and never really lived up to the potential of being a hard-hitting power forward...

IMO, unless Delleandrea is the only guy on your list left available at #24...then maybe...otherwise pick the other guy.  

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

For the Wild its worked out two very different ways....

Brent Burns, rose like 100 spots from mid-terms to final rankings...eventually won a Norris Trophy, not for the Wild though.  

Brett Bulmer, rose like a 100 spots from mid-terms to final rankings...was our first of three 2nd round picks in 2010 (the other two were Johan Larsson and Jason Zucker)...got injured and never really lived up to the potential of being a hard-hitting power forward...

IMO, unless Delleandrea is the only guy on your list left available at #24...then maybe...otherwise pick the other guy.  

It's hard to say what Burns would have turned into had he stayed on the Wild. He had different teammates on the Sharks and the trade may have lit a fire under him (apparently he wasn't happy with the trade).

I'd rather look at a guy that had consistently maintained his position all year long rather than someone who suddenly comes out of left field...but that's just me.

6 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Wild Draft Filip Johansson with the 24th Overall pick, my thoughts and more

I think I bit my tongue the whole time I wrote this analysis, the set up I did before so maybe you can read that first to soften the pain shown in the rest of it.  Enjoy!  

Well, two plusses.    The scouting reports you shared were more positive than the NBCSN guys.   And, I like that he's a RHD.   Other than that, I think you pretty much nailed the disappointment (disillusionment?) of this choice.

6 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

In case anyone thinks...geez CreaseAndAssist, don't be so harsh on the pick.  I'm not the only one who thinks it was a pile of crap, check out what the Athletic's Cory Pronman (their draft expert) thought.  

Pronman's thoughts on each pick of the 1st round.  

Yeah....I noticed it took him an inordinate amount of time to post his opinion on the pick.   Probably had to go deep into his notes to even find Johansson's info.

12 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

In case anyone thinks...geez CreaseAndAssist, don't be so harsh on the pick.  I'm not the only one who thinks it was a pile of crap, check out what the Athletic's Cory Pronman (their draft expert) thought.  

ouch.   The issue for me is I never saw a game, a shift even, where I said to myself, “That’s a guy I want on my team.” 

8 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Wild Draft Filip Johansson with the 24th Overall pick, my thoughts and more

I think I bit my tongue the whole time I wrote this analysis, the set up I did before so maybe you can read that first to soften the pain shown in the rest of it.  Enjoy!  

You showed some pretty good restraint. a waste of a first round pick more of the same year after year. insane why the hell did Fenton let the lame duck handle the draft. 

7 hours ago, Bear said:

You showed some pretty good restraint. a waste of a first round pick more of the same year after year. insane why the hell did Fenton let the lame duck handle the draft. 

Probably decided...hey give these guys the rope, let them hang themselves with it...and they did.  But a complete waste of time / pick indeed.  Or, worse case scenario...Paul Fenton is a fool and may not be the great talent evaluator his reputation indicated he was. 

36 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I swear I never even heard of the Athletic until maybe a month or two ago. Sucks you have to have a subscription.  I keep stumbling all over it suddenly. 

I said before the draft: And no more ‘playmakers’ that spend the PP passing back/forth to each other until they are lightly nudged off the puck.   Well, we didn’t get another ‘playmaker that could be knocked off the puck,’ but rather ‘another finesse defender that could be knocked off the puck.’  And, drafted WAY ABOVE where any talent CAPABLE evaluation placed him

What is it with the Wild?  Are they intentionally stupid?  I have nothing.  He is also a redundant pick.  Why do we need yet another undersized soft defender?  Are we not getting pushed around enough yet?  Koivu and Suter couldn’t have been consulted on this pick. This is on the scouts; again. 

I am jus

Just so sick of this team’s thinking they are smarter than everyone else (teams and evaluators).  How’s that working out for the Wild?  Finals?  Cups?  As a season ticket holder, I am better off flushing my $, and will be telling CL this very thing tomorrow AM. 

I don't get it.. if you're going to make a horse**** pick like that you'd be better off trading the pick + Ennis for a bag of pucks just to get out of his contract or something.. there were multiple forwards on the board worth taking.. or they could have moved back.. the scouting and drafting teams continue to be garbage.

Archived