Why are people hating on Vegas?

Paparanger

So, for the past 20 or so years there has been a saying going around by just about any rapper that has a voice and a microphone; "Don't hate the player, Hate the game." So I ask you why all of this negative feedback on the Vegas Golden Knights?

Think about it, They have a GM who couldn't ice a team to get out of the second round so Washington fired him. They have a coach that couldn't get the team into the playoffs and when he did they were out in the first round, so not only was he fired but the Panthers Brass humiliated him and sent him away in a marked taxicab. Then there are the players themselves. A mixture of third and fourth liners with second and third pair defensemen who couldn't break the lineups of their old teams and were in many cases throwaways. I don't know about you, but other than Marc Andre Fleury, James Neal, and Jonathan Marchessault, I didn't know any of the other players except Oscar Lindberg and that's because he was a Ranger at one time and I am a Ranger fan.

The truth is George McPhee did his homework. Gerard Gallant formulated a system and a bunch of third & fourth liners who had something to prove bought into it and showed the hockey world "what's up!

If 50% of the twitter world wants to hate on something, maybe they should hate on their GM's who can't draft properly & find some gems either by trade or Free agency. There are teams that are perennial bottom feeders and that's because of the front office, Not the Vegas Golden Knights. And don't forget the teams that are stuck in the dredded middle either.

One more thing; If you can't find it in your hearts to hate these inept GM's and retread coaches, then hate Gary Bettman since he is the the guy who came up with this format in the first place. 

Let's face it. no matter how you feel about the VGK's you have to admit that all the stars aligned on this one and the Jersey's are nice too.

This is going to be an epic series and I can't wait for this final to start tomorrow night. Good luck to both teams.

• Like 3

The Jersey's are great.  One of the best in the NHL, imo.  A lot better than that lime green and purple imagery in the proposed Seatle drawings.    :NinjaLookLeftRight1:   The NHL did their homework placing a team in an active city which has been desiring a professional Sports team for a long time.  Some dislike all the pre-game theatrics, but most of the teams have adapted technology to improve the overall fan experience.  Frankly, I love the originality with having the live drummers.  Anything would be better than the boring stuff the Flyers always play over and over.  No wonder the playoff tickets in Vegas are the most sought after.

I don't hate them, the stars really aligned in a lot of ways for them though.  Granted you say this team chose a lot of 3rd and 4th liners, true but with many teams those players were the first callups for key injuries on the top two lines. For some of those players, there was not a top 2nd line roster spot available.   Quite a few of those players are in their prime at the ripe age of 25-27.  Several good players were exposed because of the poor team contract management by so many GM's in the league.  Hopefully the 7-8 year NTC - NMC of old will be few and far between especially for players approaching 30.  Some of the GMs were incredibly stupid giving up 2 players so Vegas wouldn't take player x.  :nonono:

I think there are a lot of owners and GMs that will be revamping their teams this year with a Vegas approach.  Speed is the new NHL and more rosters will be tweaked to rush 4 lines who can score and backcheck.

Teams with limited serious key injuries in the playoffs generally fair better than those without.  Vegas hasn't really needed to call up many guys in their playoff run.  And then there is goaltending as Fleury is the front-runner for the Conn Smythe.

So congrats to the entire organization they've done a tremendous job, this will be another fun series to watch.

• Like 3

I hate Vegas. Passionately. I want them to lose and not only lose, to be embarrassed.

1996 the Nordiques left for Colorado and immediately won the cup, as a Wings fan I hated Colorado more than any team at any time (although the feeling has mellowed looking back on one of the games greatest ever rivalries) and felt they were an imposter, that the fans in Quebec had been hosed and the usurper won a cup that they didn't deserve. Still do.

I feel a team should hit the bottom so that when they reach the pinnacle they deserve and appreciate it. Florida, Arizona, Columbus the Wild and others have been lost in the wilderness forever, when their time comes I will not begrudge them, I just do not think that a new team in a new city winning the cup represents all that is good with the game, quite the opposite. I have absolutely zero give on this. Screw Vegas. Hope the ice melts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, hf101 said:

Some dislike all the pre-game theatrics, but most of the teams have adapted technology to improve the overall fan experience.  Frankly, I love the originality with having the live drummers.  Anything would be better than the boring stuff the Flyers always play over and over.  No wonder the playoff tickets in Vegas are the most sought after.

I love the theatrics, and honestly I expected something like this would be a part of all the games because it's Vegas, and putting on a show is what Vegas does. They have a lot to compete with when it comes to entertainment, after all.

Most people I talk to think it's a neat story and are cheering for them. That is just my little corner of the world. I realize the amazing job George McPhee did, and now they are bearing the fruit from all of it. They play a spunky brand of forecheck and all out skating....I like it 

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

Most people I talk to think it's a neat story and are cheering for them. That is just my little corner of the world. I realize the amazing job George McPhee did, and now they are bearing the fruit from all of it. They play a spunky brand of forecheck and all out skating....I like it 

I've had to separate the "Freddie First Year" stuff from actually watching the team.  I was coming at it from a similar perspective that @yave1964 wrote (and still am).  There is a certain amount of distaste for a first-year team winning.  I don't how much of that is simple jealousy and how much of it is "a freshman shouldn't be graduating before me" as an upperclassman (even this is still possibly just jealousy).   But if I put that to the side, I can actually just focus on the hockey being played on the ice, the players doing it, and the coach.   And they're actually fun to just sit and watch, and the "Island of Misfit Toys Destroys the Evil Empire" story of it all is enjoyable, too.   

• Like 2

15 hours ago, hf101 said:

The Jersey's are great.  One of the best in the NHL, imo.

This is interesting to me.  I can honestly say that I don't actually care for them.  They're better than the Panthers, though, and a handful of others.

I'm cheering for them to win the Cup anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, ruxpin said:

I've had to separate the "Freddie First Year" stuff from actually watching the team.  I was coming at it from a similar perspective that @yave1964 wrote (and still am).  There is a certain amount of distaste for a first-year team winning.  I don't how much of that is simple jealousy and how much of it is "a freshman shouldn't be graduating before me" as an upperclassman (even this is still possibly just jealousy).   But if I put that to the side, I can actually just focus on the hockey being played on the ice, the players doing it, and the coach.   And they're actually fun to just sit and watch, and the "Island of Misfit Toys Destroys the Evil Empire" story of it all is enjoyable, too.   

Yeah, in the end....all theatrics aside, I just wanna see violent, hard hitting hockey at high speeds....and this series will supply....guaranteed. 

• Like 1

Just now, jammer2 said:

Yeah, in the end....all theatrics aside, I just wanna see violent, hard hitting hockey at high speeds....and this series will supply....guaranteed. 

I hope so.  Like they said in Jurassic World:  MORE TEETH!!!  WE NEED MORE TEETH!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hf101 said:

The Jersey's are great.  One of the best in the NHL, imo.  

I tend to agree. The logo is smart yet straight forward.....the colours are great, the whole thing has a neat aggressive theme to it, and looks good doing it. 

• Like 1

Well count me as one who doesn't hate Vegas and what they are doing....it was a good plan that just happened to come together just once....doesn't mean it will ever be done again....kind of like Sully landing that plane on the Hudson river and everyone lived....don't think that will ever happen again.

So color me just jealous is all i have waiting a long time for a Cup and will be still waiting...however i feel it is coming soon...

I'm delighted the Vegas Knights have come out and not done what every other expansion team in the country has done... Come out and let teams beat them for a couple decades. They've done well to pick out players nobody else wanted and shoved it in their face.

Well done!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

This is interesting to me.  I can honestly say that I don't actually care for them.  They're better than the Panthers, though, and a handful of others.

I'm cheering for them to win the Cup anyway.

I dont want Ovi to get a cup! That is only reason I want VGK to win the cup! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I tend to agree. The logo is smart yet straight forward.....the colours are great, the whole thing has a neat aggressive theme to it, and looks good doing it. 

I like the color scheme of VGK! I'm not sold on the logo!

On 5/27/2018 at 9:02 AM, yave1964 said:

I hate Vegas. Passionately. I want them to lose and not only lose, to be embarrassed.

1996 the Nordiques left for Colorado and immediately won the cup, as a Wings fan I hated Colorado more than any team at any time (although the feeling has mellowed looking back on one of the games greatest ever rivalries) and felt they were an imposter, that the fans in Quebec had been hosed and the usurper won a cup that they didn't deserve. Still do.

I feel a team should hit the bottom so that when they reach the pinnacle they deserve and appreciate it. Florida, Arizona, Columbus the Wild and others have been lost in the wilderness forever, when their time comes I will not begrudge them, I just do not think that a new team in a new city winning the cup represents all that is good with the game, quite the opposite. I have absolutely zero give on this. Screw Vegas. Hope the ice melts.

I was hoping VGK had some success but this a little to much right now! I was expecting a second round exit! 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 2:43 PM, Paparanger said:

So, for the past 20 or so years there has been a saying going around by just about any rapper that has a voice and a microphone; "Don't hate the player, Hate the game." So I ask you why all of this negative feedback on the Vegas Golden Knights?

Think about it, They have a GM who couldn't ice a team to get out of the second round so Washington fired him. They have a coach that couldn't get the team into the playoffs and when he did they were out in the first round, so not only was he fired but the Panthers Brass humiliated him and sent him away in a marked taxicab. Then there are the players themselves. A mixture of third and fourth liners with second and third pair defensemen who couldn't break the lineups of their old teams and were in many cases throwaways. I don't know about you, but other than Marc Andre Fleury, James Neal, and Jonathan Marchessault, I didn't know any of the other players except Oscar Lindberg and that's because he was a Ranger at one time and I am a Ranger fan.

The truth is George McPhee did his homework. Gerard Gallant formulated a system and a bunch of third & fourth liners who had something to prove bought into it and showed the hockey world "what's up!

If 50% of the twitter world wants to hate on something, maybe they should hate on their GM's who can't draft properly & find some gems either by trade or Free agency. There are teams that are perennial bottom feeders and that's because of the front office, Not the Vegas Golden Knights. And don't forget the teams that are stuck in the dredded middle either.

One more thing; If you can't find it in your hearts to hate these inept GM's and retread coaches, then hate Gary Bettman since he is the the guy who came up with this format in the first place. 

Let's face it. no matter how you feel about the VGK's you have to admit that all the stars aligned on this one and the Jersey's are nice too.

This is going to be an epic series and I can't wait for this final to start tomorrow night. Good luck to both teams.

To be honest I was hoping Los Angeles or San Jose to come out of the Western Conference!

3 hours ago, notfondajane said:

I dont want Ovi to get a cup! That is only reason I want VGK to win the cup! 

No doubt Ovechkin will be in a Hall of Fame. No doubt he already reached Stanley Cup Finals with his team. No doubt he made already a significant history for his team and for the entire NHL by his outstanding results. No doubt he has a bullet shot who no one had it before (even close to reach that puck speed). And it does not matter you like him or not. Someone still like him despite of a massive zombied Anti-Russian propaganda here for at least 73 years of the Cold War, because the main victim of the politics still remain the same –THE REAL TRUTH (not a partial truth) from the both sides of the world. And any nations are not guilty in that chaos, and should just build a friendship, but not a hate.

6 hours ago, Alexandron said:

No doubt Ovechkin will be in a Hall of Fame. No doubt he already reached Stanley Cup Finals with his team. No doubt he made already a significant history for his team and for the entire NHL by his outstanding results. No doubt he has a bullet shot who no one had it before (even close to reach that puck speed). And it does not matter you like him or not. Someone still like him despite of a massive zombied Anti-Russian propaganda here for at least 73 years of the Cold War, because the main victim of the politics still remain the same –THE REAL TRUTH (not a partial truth) from the both sides of the world. And any nations are not guilty in that chaos, and should just build a friendship, but not a hate.

As a person I DO NOT HATE OVI. 

Any comment made I make is about the player not the person! 

14 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

As a person I DO NOT HATE OVI. 

Any comment made I make is about the player not the person! 

Mine is about the person.  I have zero respect for him. I mean, he seems to have grown a bit this year, but it's sure taken long enough.  (by person, I'm still largely talking about selfish, coach eating play and behavior, not about whether he loans his neighbor power tools). Oh, and I don't agree with Alexandron's post, either. 

Edited by ruxpin

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Mine is about the person.  I have zero respect for him. I mean, he seems to have grown a bit this year, but it's sure taken long enough.  Oh, and I don't agree with Alexandron's post, either. 

I believe Stalin started the Cold War!

It has now reached a point, where folks who truly have followed this organization, really don't care anymore what the rest of the world thinks. Trust me when I tell you there a plenty of true Hockey fans in Vegas, and there have been for a long time. I remember when the Thunder began play, we consistently drew 10-12K fans at an arena that had no business hosting Hockey games. That was 25 years ago. Those were Hockey fans supporting an independent IHL team. There are many fair weather fans, who don't know the difference between a back check and a fourth line. That is okay if they want to jump on the bandwagon.

I remember back in November thinking how, if they continued to play well, the hatred would grow. That with a successful season (at the time, I would have defined successful as having a shot to make the playoffs in April) more and more old timers would grow to despise the Knights, especially East Coast haters. If they continue towards winning a Championship and heaven forbid win the Cup, they will become as despised than the Patriots, or the Yankees, or the Raiders...perhaps? I know how sick and tired I am of hearing how great the Cubs are, as an example. They had a magical season and broke through and won a World Series. Since then, they are under achievers, but they had their moment.

That is how it is if you are a true Knights fan. It is magical, it is happening and it is a wonderful thing for us right now. The reality is, I really don't care how much "hate" is out there. When your time comes, I hope you enjoy it as much as we have. We appreciate what is happening and are not so full of ourselves that we profess world domination. It is a once in a  lifetime thing, and it just happens to be happening here. Were it happening in your back yard, you would be just as pleased.