Why are people hating on Vegas?

Paparanger

31 minutes ago, B21 said:

Don't forget the cut of those expansion fees, either. :DancingGrape:

I wonder if it's an even split. Or what would be even better is for it to go in escrow as part of the revenue sharing (aka subsidizing) until it's depleted.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I don't think this group of players that Vegas has assembled were guys that teams didn't want anymore.  I think they still wanted them, but just didn't have the spots to protect them.  Its way different than the expansion drafts of old where you got 4th liners / minor league journey man and old vets waiting to retire and that was it.  

The Wild took its first draft and selected a bunch of older Europeans just so they'd have some more talent on their roster.  The guys from those old expansion drafts, they were truly players teams probably didn't really want anymore.  Just sayin'...

So how desirable was if for fans? How desirable was it for team owners knowing they were going to be heavily challenged to get people in the gate with a big hill to climb before seeing any wins? Least of which how was it for the players, knowing they were basically there to get beat by just about everybody?

A secondary question to team owners. How many of them bought into an expansion team and didn't have to sell? Granted that's kind of a rhetorical question but it is somewhat relevant.

11 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

So how desirable was if for fans? How desirable was it for team owners knowing they were going to be heavily challenged to get people in the gate with a big hill to climb before seeing any wins? Least of which how was it for the players, knowing they were basically there to get beat by just about everybody?

A secondary question to team owners. How many of them bought into an expansion team and didn't have to sell? Granted that's kind of a rhetorical question but it is somewhat relevant.

In Minnesota...the team spent almost nothing on its roster and the fans still showed up and filled the building.  They paid good money to watch one of the lowest scoring teams in the league.  That works when a fanbase that knows and loves the game can understand development is tough.  

Don't forget, the 2003 run probably helped not only stave off an exodus of apathy but also raised the expectations.  If you read Tom Lynn's book; he talked about the run was a bit of a mixed blessing...but overall ownership wanted to keep the team on the cheap and they did for a few more years until the fanbase was livid...and they finally spent some money to put a decent roster on the ice.  Coincidentally, that ownership group then looked to sell the club (which they did).  

It didn't work out nearly so well in Columbus where they had some pretty rough years attendance-wise.  They had some goofy season ticket rules; sort of like a cell phone contract where you locked yourself in for multiple years at a time...also made it tough to watch a team be mired in mediocrity a long time.  

Atlanta ended up relocating...not much left to say...the rancid attendance speaks for itself despite having lots of northern transplants in that city.  

Nashville had some dark days too.  Leipold struggled to get corporate partnerships to help them buy up the more expensive lower bowl seats and boxes.  Even when the salary cap was put in place, the Predators didn't spend to the top because they didn't have the finances to do so.  After a bunch of years of struggle; Leipold promised the playoffs and made a guarantee that he'd pay season ticket holders back their increase on Season tickets if they didn't make it.  They didn't, and he paid them back...and then looked to sell the team.  But he looked to sell it to a person that wouldn't move the club out of Nashville.  That was not easy...but eventually they got it done and we all know where he ended up next.  

4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

In Minnesota...the team spent almost nothing on its roster and the fans still showed up and filled the building.  They paid good money to watch one of the lowest scoring teams in the league.  That works when a fanbase that knows and loves the game can understand development is tough.  

Don't forget, the 2003 run probably helped not only stave off an exodus of apathy but also raised the expectations.  If you read Tom Lynn's book; he talked about the run was a bit of a mixed blessing...but overall ownership wanted to keep the team on the cheap and they did for a few more years until the fanbase was livid...and they finally spent some money to put a decent roster on the ice.  Coincidentally, that ownership group then looked to sell the club (which they did).  

It didn't work out nearly so well in Columbus where they had some pretty rough years attendance-wise.  They had some goofy season ticket rules; sort of like a cell phone contract where you locked yourself in for multiple years at a time...also made it tough to watch a team be mired in mediocrity a long time.  

Atlanta ended up relocating...not much left to say...the rancid attendance speaks for itself despite having lots of northern transplants in that city.  

Nashville had some dark days too.  Leipold struggled to get corporate partnerships to help them buy up the more expensive lower bowl seats and boxes.  Even when the salary cap was put in place, the Predators didn't spend to the top because they didn't have the finances to do so.  After a bunch of years of struggle; Leipold promised the playoffs and made a guarantee that he'd pay season ticket holders back their increase on Season tickets if they didn't make it.  They didn't, and he paid them back...and then looked to sell the team.  But he looked to sell it to a person that wouldn't move the club out of Nashville.  That was not easy...but eventually they got it done and we all know where he ended up next.  

For whatever it's worth, I enjoy the heck out of your posts.

This one is particularly good.  Great read.

58 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

For whatever it's worth, I enjoy the heck out of your posts.

This one is particularly good.  Great read.

Yeah, I  know what you mean. I don't know what the hell  "exodus of apathy" even means, but I sure like it! 

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah, I  know what you mean. I don't know what the hell  "exodus of apathy" even means, but I sure like it! 

Maybe a pathetic exit?

Being a MN fan forever - I tried to follow other teams when I was too frustrated with the moves and players of MN - just couldn't get on board with another team... This year was different - and what I am seeing with my friends down here that are Blackhawk fans, etc - the Knights simply provided us with a reason to watch them since they took some players from everyone... That's what I think changed my mind. Am I huge Knights fan? No. At least not yet. But for someone like me who struggled following Dallas (although going to a Calder cup game next Tuesday and Thursday here in Austin) - not having that massive fan base in Vegas was a big factor as well - they're new...

Plus, my business does a lot of business and conferences in Vegas - so that was a huge factor as well...  And, MGM Resorts, who owns that land and a ton of different hotels - well, that definitely helped too...

There will be growing pains no doubt - but when I realized what age my 4 year old daughter will be when the Suter/Parise contracts end - I though "oh hell no"...  So, I guess there were quite a few reasons to let the sun set on a team I followed forever - but it all started with years upon years of frustration regarding the PP, line combos, and never having a grasp with the toxicity of the players and management. 

I'll be interested to see how they're doing - since I still have family in MN. But lets just say that I don't think I'm vested in them anymore - and my expectation bar is quite low for them to make the right changes...

On 6/5/2018 at 9:02 AM, Villette/Lavaux said:

"Living is suffering"

Nietzsche surely had minnesotan blood in this veins. 

wow, you wild fans are a bleak bunch...welcome !

According to some people I know, Vegas fans are notoriously toxic and I think it is one of the main reasons why people hate the team. They told me that most of them make hockey look bad. 

6 hours ago, bladerookie said:

According to some people I know, Vegas fans are notoriously toxic and I think it is one of the main reasons why people hate the team. They told me that most of them make hockey look bad. 

Fanboy, is that you ?

On 6/8/2018 at 8:44 PM, Villette/Lavaux said:

Fanboy, is that you ?

Now who the heck is that? LOL. Anyway, I heard it from some of my colleagues and I really find it weird. 

On 6/9/2018 at 3:12 AM, rottenrefs said:

@bladerookie I've heard the exact opposite.

Are you saying that the team itself is worse? hahahaa

On 6/8/2018 at 1:31 AM, bladerookie said:

You said ^

On 6/8/2018 at 2:12 PM, rottenrefs said:

@bladerookie I've heard the exact opposite.

I said ^

6 hours ago, bladerookie said:

Are you saying that the team itself is worse? hahahaa

Then you said ^

I'm not sure where you're going with that. You flamed their fans, then re-directed flaming the team?

When I said "I've heard the exact opposite" I was saying so off confirmed information I heard.

For instance, when fans on social media promote or support the team (as per our local radio station aired): their front office sends out t-shirts and other fan memorabilia to fans all over the world and the general consensus is those fans are extremely appreciative.

On 6/11/2018 at 5:50 PM, rottenrefs said:

You said ^

I said ^

Then you said ^

I'm not sure where you're going with that. You flamed their fans, then re-directed flaming the team?

When I said "I've heard the exact opposite" I was saying so off confirmed information I heard.

For instance, when fans on social media promote or support the team (as per our local radio station aired): their front office sends out t-shirts and other fan memorabilia to fans all over the world and the general consensus is those fans are extremely appreciative.

Ok. This is awkward. Hahaha. I misunderstood your answer. I'm still getting a hang of this forum. 

• 9 months later...

Archived