Stockton Heat and all other Calgary Flames Prospect discussions

pilldoc

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Dustin Wolf Wins WHL Goalie Of The Year (Again)

JUNE 9, 2021 AT 12:27 PM CDT | BY GAVIN LEE 

Dustin Wolf refuses to go along with the scouting norms. The Calgary Flames prospect just keeps winning, collecting the WHL Goaltender of the Year award for the second year in a row.

Wolf had another incredible season, posting a .940 save percentage in 22 appearances with the Everett Silvertips, going 18-3 in the process with four shutouts. He added a gold medal with the U.S. World Junior squad as well, while also making his professional debut with the Stockton Heat of the AHL.

Not bad for the 214th overall pick in 2019.

There has been no stopping (or perhaps plenty of it?) Wolf at the junior level, where he has won almost every trophy imaginable during his time with the Silvertips. He will leave the WHL with a career record of 106-34-6, 24 shutouts and a .935 save percentage. He becomes only the fourth goaltender since 2001 to win the Del Wilson Memorial Trophy multiple times, joining Cam Ward, Chet Pickard, and fellow Silvertips alumni Carter Hart.

Now, the question will be whether his size holds him back at the next level. Wolf measures in at a generous 6’0″ and weighs just 168 lbs, which would make him one of the smallest goaltenders in the NHL. That’s exactly why he slipped to the seventh round, but it is impossible to ignore what he has done since the Flames took a chance on him two years ago.

Recently, there has been something of a resurgence of small goaltenders. Alex Nedeljkovic, a finalist for the Calder Trophy this season, faced a similar uphill battle because of his six-foot stature, but took advantage of an opportunity in Carolina and posted outstanding numbers for the Hurricanes this season. Juuse Saros, who many believe should have been a finalist for the Vezina this year is officially listed at 5’11”. 

Anton Khudobin is also listed at 5’11” and carried the Dallas Stars to the Stanley Cup Final last year. Jonathan Bernier (6’0″), Antti Raanta (6’0″), and Jaroslav Halak (5’11”) are other goaltenders who have found plenty of success in the NHL despite not being quite as lengthy as their contemporaries.

There’s no guarantee that Wolf makes it, but at this point, it doesn’t make much sense to bet against him. He’ll get a chance to show what he can do at the pro level next season, which will end up being the first season of his three-year entry-level deal (the contract was signed in 2020, but will slide forward this year after he spent the season in junior).

• 2 months later...

Daniil Chechelev has signed an AHL contract with the Stockton Heat. 

Chechelev split time between the MHL and VHL last season. In 21 appearances for HK Ryazan (VHL) in 2020-21, he earned eight wins with a .912 save percentage and a 2.58 goals-against average. He also posted 11 victories in 19 games for Russkie Vityazi Chekhov (MHL) last season with a .924 SV% and 2.49 GAA. The 20-year-old netminder was selected by the Calgary Flames in the fourth round (96th overall) of the 2020 NHL Draft. 

• 8 months later...

FLAMES SIGN ILYA NIKOLAEV

The forward has inked an entry-level deal with the club

by CALGARY FLAMES STAFF @NHLFlames / CalgaryFlames.com
 2:49 PM
  •  
cut.jpg

The Calgary Flames announced today that they have signed forward Ilya Nikolaev to a three-year entry-level contract.

Nikolaev, a native of Yaroslavl, Russia was drafted by the Flames in the third round, 88th overall, in the 2019 NHL Draft. The 20-year-old played this season with the Tri-City Storm (USHL), notching 23 goals and 49 assists for 72 points in 58 games, finishing second on his team in assists, fourth in goals and fourth in points.

On May 5, Nikolaev was named USHL Forward of the Week after recording four goals and two assists for six points in two games of the conference semi-final of the Clark Cup Playoffs. In five Clark Cup playoff games this season, Nikolaev had five goals and three assists for eight points.

BORN: Yaroslavl, Russia DATE: June 26, 2001

HEIGHT: 6'0" WEIGHT: 195 lbs.

SHOOTS: Left

• 5 months later...

Flames sign forward prospect Lucas Ciona to entry-level deal

Wes Gilbertson - Yesterday 11:42 PM

image.png

Lucas Ciona dreamed of crashing and banging — and scoring, of course — in the NHL’s Battle of Alberta.  

#79 Lucas Ciona during the Calgary Flames 2021 prospects' NHL training camp in Calgary on Thursday, September 16, 2021.

Just not necessarily in red.  

That’s changed since Ciona was drafted by the Calgary Flames. On Sunday, the power-forward prospect — currently a standout for the WHL’s Seattle Thunderbirds — signed a three-year, entry-level contract with the club, a significant stride in his quest to someday skate in The Show and in that storied provincial rivalry.  

“We had Oilers season-tickets at one point, so I would always make sure we got to go to the Flames games,” recalled Ciona, who switched allegiances the second that he was selected by the southerners in the sixth round of the 2021 NHL Draft. “That was the most fun, going with my dad or my brother or my mom or my sister. Those were always the most exciting games to watch. So just dreaming about being able to play in one of those was a pretty special thing and for it to one day be a possibility, that’s super cool.”  

Ciona was born and raised in Edmonton, where he sprouted to an imposing 6-foot-3 and 222 lb. His best bet of future big-league employment is likely as a bottom-six bumper, although he’s flashed soft hands at the major-junior level.  

The 19-year-old left-winger has notched seven goals and 10 assists in nine outings so far this season, the highest point-per-game clip of any WHLer who has logged that many appearances. After a six-point outburst against the Everett Silvertips, he earned a leaguewide player-of-the-week nod.  

Calgary Flames prospect Lucas Ciona was named the Western Hockey League’s player of the week in mid-October after racking up 11 points in a three-game span.

While a contract offer was high on his wish-list, Ciona has been adamant that his primary motivation is leading the Thunderbirds to a playoff berth and, ultimately, a championship. They advanced all the way to the WHL Final last spring before falling to the Edmonton Oil Kings and once again have the makings of a top contender.   

As the Flames’ up-and-comer told Postmedia in an interview earlier this month: “I think team success has everything to do with individual success. If the team is playing well, you’re going to be playing well and you’re going to be contributing quite a bit. There is a balance you have to find and I definitely have that focus — to get a contract this year — but if we’re playing well as a team, I’m very confident good things will come my way.”  

He was right about that.  

The Thunderbirds suffered their first loss of the season Saturday. Hours earlier, Ciona learned that there was some paperwork waiting for him. His agent and Flames general manager Brad Treliving had finalized the fineprint on his first NHL contract.  

“It’s pretty surreal, a super cool moment for my family and I. And I got to share it with the team, which was really cool,” Ciona said. “I knew negotiations were going down, but I wasn’t really allowed to talk about it. So yesterday, I got a call from Mr. Treliving congratulating me, so I was able to share it with all the guys that I’d reached a deal with the team and it’s going to be coming out soon. It was pretty cool, lots of hugs and congratulations from all the guys and some pretty cool moments with my coaches, as well.   

“And then I made sure to call my parents right after that and said, ‘Hey, the deal is done.’ That was a very special moment, very emotional.”  

While the deal is done, Ciona knows there is plenty of hard work ahead as he chases his childhood dream of hitting the ice for an edition of the NHL’s Battle of Alberta.  

In red.  

“I’m locked in with the Flames,” beamed Ciona, who turns 20 in January. “Now, it’s about reaching the next step in my career.

This year, it’s going to be trying to win the WHL championship and the Memorial Cup. And then next year, I want to keep pushing. I want to make the AHL next year and I want to keep pushing to be on the Flames. So this is just another step. It’s a pretty big step, I’d say, but definitely something just to make sure I keep working at.”     

ICE CHIPS : After a 3-2 home loss to the Oilers on Hockey Night in Canada, the Flames were off Sunday. They’re back in action Tuesday when they welcome the Seattle Kraken to the Saddledome (7 p.m. MT, Sportsnet Flames/Sportsnet 960 The Fan).  

• 5 months later...
Edited by Brewin Flames

FUTURE WATCH UPDATE - 24.04.23

A look at how Flames prospects are doing in their respective leagues

by TORIE PETERSON @NHLFlames / CalgaryFlames.com
 April 24, 2023
cut.jpg

OHL

Jack Beck - Left Wing - Ottawa 67's

Regular season - 12 goals, 41 assists, 53 points in 45 games

Playoffs - 5 goals, 6 assists, 11 points in 10 games

Ottawa trails Peterborough 3-2 in their second round match-up

QMJHL

Cole Huckins - Centre - Sherbrooke Phoenix 

Regular season - 28 goals, 30 assists, 58 points in 64 games

Playoffs - 3 goals, 4 assists, 7 points in 8 games

Sherbrooke has defeated Drummondville 4-0 in their second round series

Cameron Whynot - Defence - Halifax Mooseheads

Regular season - 3 goals, 22 assists, 25 points in 48 games

Playoffs - 0 goals, 1 assist, 1 point in 3 games

Halifax has defeated Moncton 4-1 in their second round series

WHL

Parker Bell - Left Wing - Tri-City Americans

Regular season - 25 goals, 39 assists, 64 points in 55 games

Playoffs - 2 goals, 4 assists, 6 points in 6 games

Tri-City has concluded their season after falling to Prince George in six games in the first round and Bell signed an ATO with the Calgary Wranglers, closing out the regular season in the AHL

Lucas Ciona - Left Wing - Seattle Thunderbirds

Regular season - 28 goals, 47 assists, 75 points in 63 games

Playoffs - 4 goals, 0 assists, 4 points in 8 games

Seattle defeated Prince George 4-0 in their second round series

BCHL

Cade Littler - Centre - Wenatchee Wild

Regular season - 29 goals, 39 assists, 68 points in 51 games

Playoffs - 4 goals, 2 assists, 6 points in 10 games

Wenatchee fell 4-0 to Penticton in their second round series

NCAA

Jake Boltmann - Defence - University of Notre Dame

1 goal, 4 assists, 5 points in 37 games

Matt Coronato - Right Wing - Harvard

20 goals, 16 assists, 36 points in 34 games

Coronato has wrapped up his season with Harvard and concluded his collegiate career by signing a three-year entry-level contract with the Flames

Demetrios Koumontzis - Centre/Defence - Arizona State

7 goals, 11 assists, 18 points in 37 games

Koumontzis has concluded his senior season at ASU and signed a Standard Player Contract with the Idaho Steelheads in the ECHL

Josh Nodler - Centre - UMass

2 goals, 3 assists, 5 points in 27 games

Arsenii Sergeev - Goaltender - UConn

11-6-1 record, 2.61 GAA, .912 save percentage

Sweden

William Stromgren - Left Wing - Brynas IF

3 goals, 5 assists, 8 points in 45 games

Stromgren has signed a three-year entry-level deal with the Flames, which begins next season - he signed an ATO with the Calgary Wranglers and concluded the regular season in the AHL

Finland

Topi Ronni - Centre - Tappara U20

Regular season - 2 goals, 8 assists, 10 points in 7 games

Playoffs - 5 goals , 10 assists, 15 points in 12 games

Eetu Tuulola - Right Wing - Ilves

Regular season - 5 goals, 9 assists, 14 points in 54 games

Playoffs - 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points in 5 games

ECHL

*The Rapid City Rush did not make the ECHL playoffs

Ilya Nikolaev - Centre - Rapid City Rush

13 goals, 20 assists, 33 points in 40 games

Lucas Feuk - Centre - Rapid City Rush