Charlotte Checkers and all other Carolina Hurricanes Prospects discussion

pilldoc

• 8 months later...

On 2/4/2019 at 3:00 PM, Digityman said:

Both the Charlotte Checkers (AHL) and Florida Everblades (ECHL) are leading their leagues.  Great news for the Hurricanes.

Sounds very impressive results. Both teams having the most points in their leagues (70 and 69 respectively). It seems now is a time for the big club also to show their ability to get a playoffs spot this season. I think they are capable of that effort. 9 years already without playoffs seasons is a pretty long drought. 

• 2 months later...

Both teams clinched the best positions during the regular season in their leagues. Charlotte Checkers had a 1st place in AHL with 110 points(51 wins out of 76 games) and Florida Everblades had a 2nd place in ECHL with 106 points (50 wins out of 72 games). Definitely a big Carolina club Hurricanes has a nice promising potential in their young prospects.

@pilldoc

@hf101

The Hurricanes dealt prospect Adam Fox to the Rangers for a second-round pick this year and a conditional third-round pick in 2020.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/lebrun-trading-fox-hurts-for-the-hurricanes~1671565

So the GMs want to make a change to the CBA where if the team makes a qualifying offer the team will hold the prospect rights forever.

Now i agree with this part. I don't think it will be forever but it needs to be a few years after they leave school.

They fix this and you will see team maybe start to take this kids with higher draft picks knowing they are protected some what.

Thoughts on this subject with college prospects.

Not sure if this subject needs to have it's own topic. I would like to see it changed.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

@pilldoc

@hf101

The Hurricanes dealt prospect Adam Fox to the Rangers for a second-round pick this year and a conditional third-round pick in 2020.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/lebrun-trading-fox-hurts-for-the-hurricanes~1671565

So the GMs want to make a change to the CBA where if the team makes a qualifying offer the team will hold the prospect rights forever.

Now i agree with this part. I don't think it will be forever but it needs to be a few years after they leave school.

They fix this and you will see team maybe start to take this kids with higher draft picks knowing they are protected some what.

Thoughts on this subject with college prospects.

Not sure if this subject needs to have it's own topic. I would like to see it changed.

sure you can make a topic out of it ...sounds interesting.  I have to read up on it more before I can comment.

• 1 month later...

Congratulations to the Carolina organization as well as to the Charlotte Checkers organization and their fans for the winning yesterday their first Calder Cup title!!! against Chicago Wolves team which my Iowa Wild team was not able to pass in a Central Division playoffs finals. Especially I am impressed for the event that the number#1 team(right from the beginning) during this regular season(51 wins;and the most 110 points) Charlotte Checkers have got that Cup this 2018-2019 season. Usually, that not happening very often because it is a very rare event in a professional hockey. Like I said before the Carolina organization having a solid potential in their young prospects these days so far. Also would like to mention that their young team is very successful and competitive at the Traverse City tournament for years too. I am still thinking if the Carolina Hurricanes or Tampa Bay Lightnings had a goalies like Tuuka Rask or Binnington then both teams would be much more successful during the Stanley Cup playoffs this season.

• 4 years later...

Charlotte is now Florida's farm club NOT Carolina. Carolina moved their AHL affiliate to Chicao a few years ago, even winning a Calder Trophy a year ago.

As for Carolina prospects, it begins with Pyotr Kochetkov, the hot goalie who held the team together when both the NHL tenders got hurt at around the same time. Raanta and Andersen are both free agents and unlikely to return, Kochetkov now owns the net on a top tier team and should be a great fantasy asset and will be a solidgoalie behind a very underrated defense.

Really, among their skaters i dont see a hell of a lot that is NHL caliber, the leading scorer was 28 year old Stromwall who will never be an NHL player. Max Lajoie is a 24 year old puck mover but deficient defensivley. Pomonarev may play middle six winger role, likely third line. Ryan Suzuki, the team is high on hm as a furure center but I look at him and see 4th liner, 3rd line at best. Jack Drury has failed in a couple of shots with the big club but has talent, may make it as a second line second power play winger, should stick next season and given every chance to claim a role. Jamisen Reese is a nasty piece of work and might stick as a 4th line center with grit and can occasionally sneak a goal in. 

So a great goalie prospect who has just signed a 4 year deal and a wide open net for him to claim, three or four guys who might make it as warm bodies in limited roles and Drury who might be a 2nd liner of the world breaks right. Honestly, not a lot of there there if you know what i mean.

• 2 weeks later...