Morin out till Feb with torn ACL

hf101

The bad news just continues with Sam Morin as he is expected to be out until next February according to Ron Hextall.  Morin is expected to have surgery this week. 

“People tend to forget that Sam’s been a healthy player for the most part in his career prior to that,” Hextall told the Coutier Post

Morin, who turns 23 this July, is a restricted free agent. The Flyers will undoubtedly re-sign him and he will likely start the season with an “injured/non-roster” designation. “We’re writing this off as — he had a tough year, there’s no doubt about it in terms of the injuries. We don’t think any less of Sam than we did in September of last year. We still have high hopes for Sam and we know he’s gonna turn into a good player for us.”

Because of when he signed his entry-level contract, Morin will not be waiver exempt on his new contract. If he is to go back to the American Hockey League he would have to clear waivers and it’s very unlikely that 30 teams would pass on plucking him off the Flyers’ roster for free.

Morin, who turns 23 this July, is a restricted free agent. The Flyers will undoubtedly re-sign him and he will likely start the season with an “injured/non-roster” designation.

Looks like Morin will then start with the Flyers come Feb or so.  I expect some conditioning games with the Phantoms first.

33 minutes ago, hf101 said:

The bad news just continues with Sam Morin as he is expected to be out until next February according to Ron Hextall.  Morin is expected to have surgery this week. 

Looks like Morin will then start with the Flyers come Feb or so.  I expect some conditioning games with the Phantoms first.

Ya, there's no way you're writing him off because of injury. Sucks for the poor guy. But when you're that tall it seems like there can be issues that go with it.

30 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya, there's no way you're writing him off because of injury. Sucks for the poor guy. But when you're that tall it seems like there can be issues that go with it.

Especially when one is that tall with a high center of gravity. He needs to take this time and add muscle mass all over. He doesn't need to be Chara weight, but there's no reason he can't be 235 to 240 pounds. That would be ideal and it won't rob him of any mobility. Additionally, having that extra bit of weight will help him plant more when he goes to stand players up when they cross the blueline. I think Morin is going to be fine and might be a better player as a result.

Yes being tall and with strength and weight, there are handicaps that are inherited with health that need specific training to overcome. Flexibility and core strength training. All that momentum and power that when starts to move one way and then needs to shift directions is allot of strain on the core, joints, ligaments and so forth that if not included in weekly training become the weak link of the body. For Sammy, I think it would do wonders for his career if he were to take up this type of training to compliment his abilities. Such as Pilates, ballet, gymnastics conditioning, isolated focus conditioning. These would help out the parts of his body that are the weak links to his other wise strong physical strength and structure.

Coming into training camp and being able to do the splits between to fold up chairs, would be impressive for him and his health. :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

I think when all is said and done Morin once he proves he can play at this level may make Hagg expendable eventually.

Time will tell but he can do everything Hagg can do except i think Morin has a better offensive game....makes him a better stay at home defenseman in the end.

Yet he has to earn his spot when he is healthy first.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Time will tell but he can do everything Hagg can do

Except play the right side, which is where the Flyers have more of a need. It's not the end of the world, since although he prefers the left, Ghost can play both sides. But it would appear that the path to a full time job on the Flyers is easier if you can play RD. I wouldn't be surprised if by the time February rolls around and Morin is ready to return, the Flyers defense looks like:

Provorov - Myers

Gostisbehere - Gudas

Sanheim - MacDonald

Hagg

Now the pairings could change, but I think that those will be the 6 best night in, night out. The problem I can see is that there are two players capable of playing on the right that it makes the most sense to pair Morin with. The first is Myers, but that's two rookies together, so you know Hakstol won't do it. The other is Gostisbehere. Otherwise, you're looking at a pairing of Morin - Gudas or Morin - MacDonald, which both have the same problem that led to Hagg being benched - the pairing won't move the puck well. Things can obviously change if the Flyers make a significant move (or even if they make an insignificant one for a guy Hakstol falls in love with), but I can only go on what's currently in front of me.

12 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Except play the right side

Sanheim can play both sides too and is still in the process of learning it.

Sam also said he had been practicing the right side as well before the injury just he had to play games on the left side due to the 3 righties they had in the AHL with Meyers, Willcox and Friedman all playing the right side.

He could be back quicker or he could be back later hard to say right now depends on how his rehab goes and more importantly how his knee heals.

I don't think we will see Meyers by mid year either i think there are parts of his game that still need developing.

Hextall will not bring him up i he isn't ready and when/if Morin is ready the will accommodate him i think even if it means trading someone it will be planned out ahead of time. 

2 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

How will this play out if the expansion team starts in 2019? In regards to holding off bringing up players.

Check out this thread for a discussion on how expansion affects the Flyers. 

• 7 months later...
54 minutes ago, Digityman said:

February is coming. Sam is skating.  I for one am really looking forward to seeing Sam get back into playing form and seeing what he can do.  Just his ability to clear the crease will be welcomed.

I a with you.

I think Carter Hart will really appreciate him.

Al he has to do is come out and try not to do to much keep it simple and get use to the NHL speed.

His size and ability to clear out around the net will be huge.

4 hours ago, Digityman said:

February is coming. Sam is skating.  I for one am really looking forward to seeing Sam get back into playing form and seeing what he can do.  Just his ability to clear the crease will be welcomed.

Agree.  He's got a long way to go, imo, but I am hopeful he can fulfill some of his promise.

39 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

There is no downside to his return. Even if he sucks he will fit right in. Could cause a problem for management. If he is good.

If he can play, he will be good.  Especially if he can play for an actual coach.  At this point it's all about the injuries.  

I maintain that Hextall's only fireable offense was not firing Hakstol sooner.  But of the several lesser offenses I still hold him accountable for, putting Hagg, Mac and Manning on the team last fall over Morin is a big one.  Morin outplayed Manning and Mac and had more upside than Hagg.  

Having Morin with the Flyers would have identified his abdominal injury sooner, let him recover from it and possibly prevent the fluke occurrence that tore his ACL in the playoffs.  

But now it will be a month of practice and rehab before he starts to see any action at all.  He's been cleared to practice, but he's got a long road to being able to play.  

He has now been cleared for contact & has been skating with the team during practice for many weeks.  He looked great this morning being part of the PK during the PP practice.

I still have high hopes for Morin. He might not be an offensive dynamo, but you need that rock on the defense that will do the dirty work. I've said it before about Morin and he's a new age version of Derian Hatcher, but with better skating. His physical play alone is going to make things easy for the Gostisbeheres and Provorovs on the team. They aren't going to take a pounding and will be better off with him in the lineup. 

Archived