What should Fentons first "tweak" be as the Wilds new GM?

sweetshot

4 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Apparently you haven't been to a Wild game lately. It's usually so quiet in there you can hear someone fart on the bench when your sitting in the nosebleeds...

If the play is exciting the fans will be excited. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Russo's latest report...he thinks its a real good chance they're going to clean house with the scouting staff.  That might be tough to do; with the draft coming up...but after that I'd imagine we'd see some changes.  He certainly has a lot of work to do in the next few weeks.  He also predicts a buyout of Ennis' contract in order to save a little cap space.  

12 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

According to Russo's latest report...he thinks its a real good chance they're going to clean house with the scouting staff.  That might be tough to do; with the draft coming up...but after that I'd imagine we'd see some changes.  He certainly has a lot of work to do in the next few weeks.  He also predicts a buyout of Ennis' contract in order to save a little cap space.  

Is it me, or does it seem like we fans pick up on this stuff a lot sooner than the Wild FO?

@IllaZilla well I'll say this as fans we don't really have skin in the game and so unlike the FO they probably are afraid to come to the realization that things need to change especially if it's something they built or guy's the brought in who are failing. Now I can't say this is true of Craig Leipold and our FO as he/they might just truly be blind as a bat a Dumbass or both but as a person you want to try and see your projects through and see them succeed so to see this scouting staff fail he has probably been wanting to keep them for as long as he could to see if they actually can scout and draft decent players and not look like a failure. But alas it's been way to long with the same thing and hopefully they all get the boot.

11 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Is it me, or does it seem like we fans pick up on this stuff a lot sooner than the Wild FO?

I think we do, the interesting thing is...Fletcher never made almost any changes from what was in place in regards to the scouting staff.  He either completely agreed with them; or didn't care to change it since he knew he was ultimately the person that was going to make the choice who the team selected.  Fletcher had scouting in his background as do many front office people as its you usually the place where you start if you want a front office gig.  

The other interesting side story that Russo picked up on is whether the coaches in Iowa minus assistant coach David Cunniff are going to be retained since Fletcher extended them all in the middle of the season when they looked like they were going to make the playoffs for the first time.  Leipold said they weren't extended, but Russo's sources said they were.  That's almost as important as the draft; how well the farm system develops players.  Mind you, they didn't have many prospects to work with this season with the prospect pool so college-heavy.  But there were a few.  

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I think we do, the interesting thing is...Fletcher never made almost any changes from what was in place in regards to the scouting staff.  He either completely agreed with them; or didn't care to change it since he knew he was ultimately the person that was going to make the choice who the team selected.  Fletcher had scouting in his background as do many front office people as its you usually the place where you start if you want a front office gig.  

The other interesting side story that Russo picked up on is whether the coaches in Iowa minus assistant coach David Cunniff are going to be retained since Fletcher extended them all in the middle of the season when they looked like they were going to make the playoffs for the first time.  Leipold said they weren't extended, but Russo's sources said they were.  That's almost as important as the draft; how well the farm system develops players.  Mind you, they didn't have many prospects to work with this season with the prospect pool so college-heavy.  But there were a few.  

If the minors is where you are supposed to develop players, why do the Wild always insist on rushing them? Look at Dumba. You can't tell me those 13 games he had with the Wild in 2013 accelerated his development. I always felt Iowa never had a chance to develop players because the players they were supposed to develop were always in the Wild pressbox...

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:10 AM, EJ0226 said:

Yes he did but by also saying that he wouldn't hire a GM who told him that big changes need to be done. He only wanted to hear very minor little tweak. This shows the owner felt ownership to certain players. If he thinks the route Fletcher was going wasn't right you have to be open to hear what other GMs will see and want to change otherwise why bother even firing Fletcher. Leipold fired Fletcher in hopes to hire Fletcher with that statement.

Also that picture of Suter, Parise and Koivu at presser for Fenton speaks volumes. They looked like 3 very unhappy owners. As a owner, if I seen my 3 supposedly stars and leaders like that I would be calling them in and having a talk. Trust me, Leipold feels like he has some ownership to certain players.

That's Leipolds right--he has ownership of all his players--after all it is his team.

As far as the picture speaking volumes--Doesn't the sour look they have indicate a change has happened that they don't like?? isn't the fact that they look unhappy a good thing?? I don't get what you are saying.

3 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

If the minors is where you are supposed to develop players, why do the Wild always insist on rushing them? Look at Dumba. You can't tell me those 13 games he had with the Wild in 2013 accelerated his development. I always felt Iowa never had a chance to develop players because the players they were supposed to develop were always in the Wild pressbox...

Maybe the Wild thought those 13 NHL games helped give Dumba a better understanding of what he needed to develop by being in a few "real games".

4 hours ago, sweetshot said:

Maybe the Wild thought those 13 NHL games helped give Dumba a better understanding of what he needed to develop by being in a few "real games".

I looked at it as if the Wild wanted to save money.

4 hours ago, sweetshot said:

And maybe they didn't see what they had in Haula?  Maybe they didn't fully appreciate what they had in Alex Tuch.  Maybe, just maybe...they were hoping for a cheap entry level fix as Rotten suggested.  When it wasn't ready, they should've shipped him back to Red Deer immediately.  Instead they waited...and waited.  Sorry, our draft and development model is pretty messed up.  We rush prospects far too often.  Gustav Olofsson, never should've been given a 1-way contract and then we just sat him night after night...is that good for his development.  Or were we just trying to see how well he worked the Benoit Pouliot Memorial popcorn machine? 

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

And maybe they didn't see what they had in Haula?  Maybe they didn't fully appreciate what they had in Alex Tuch.  Maybe, just maybe...they were hoping for a cheap entry level fix as Rotten suggested.  When it wasn't ready, they should've shipped him back to Red Deer immediately.  Instead they waited...and waited.  Sorry, our draft and development model is pretty messed up.  We rush prospects far too often.  Gustav Olofsson, never should've been given a 1-way contract and then we just sat him night after night...is that good for his development.  Or were we just trying to see how well he worked the Benoit Pouliot Memorial popcorn machine? 

I really do believe a lot of the call-ups under Fletcher were to relieve cap space and not much more. In too many cases it was far too obvious the cast of characters weren't ready for full time duty and as long as they won a few games along the way all was good.

On 5/30/2018 at 5:51 AM, rottenrefs said:

@yave1964 a bigger problem with the Wild is they have a trio of leadership players who have direct contact with the owner and former GM and influence what goes on with other players instead of checking their egos and selfishness at the door. They need to be stopped from undermining their head coaches, be told to shut up and get back to playing hockey and stop micromanaging the team.

This comment is ‘dead on’, and the single biggest issue with the Wild over several years.  Micro-managing past lineups, coaches, and input into the PP, etc.  it needs to stop starting now.  Liberating the C and As may help in this regard. 

9 hours ago, sweetshot said:

So what did Dumba learn in 13 games that he couldn’t learn in 10? Because those 3 extra games burned an entire year off his rookie contract. Had the Wild not kept him around for those extra 3 games, his rookie contract would have been up in 2017, not 2016. He probably would have gotten a bridge deal for two years, making him eligible for a new contract in 2019, not 2018...

14 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

So what did Dumba learn in 13 games that he couldn’t learn in 10? Because those 3 extra games burned an entire year off his rookie contract. Had the Wild not kept him around for those extra 3 games, his rookie contract would have been up in 2017, not 2016. He probably would have gotten a bridge deal for two years, making him eligible for a new contract in 2019, not 2018...

To answer your question--not a thing. I wasn't aware of the contract issue. Dumb move by the former GM, especially considering the other major contract issues this team has and will have for a while. I'm sure Dumba and his agent loved it though.

I do think that playing a few--less than 10--real games as a rookie can help with a players development.

20 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Not the optimum situation, but there's nothing wrong with an entry-level fix--- if you get it. The mistake was in leaving him here too long.

He's going to have to do:

Buyout Ennis (he is nowhere near the salary he is earning)

Sign Zucker

Sign Dumba

Look to make a significant trade that will need to reduce salary cap pressure and not disrupt the core.  Candidates for this would be (Parise or Suter - fat chance anyone would want their contracts), Spurgeon (Like him, but he makes an awful lot), Coyle (just not getting it done), Nino (also not getting it done), Granny (too damn small for the playoffs, can help get you there, but too easily pushed around in the playoffs)  the latter 3 may have some suitors and we'd have to get real clever and lucky.  Need some guys with sandpaper and a #2 up and coming goaltender. 

Ultimately, Dubnyk and not tough enough is the reason we won't advance in the playoffs.  Dubnyk is OK, but just OK.  We are too soft, need to strike some fear in opponents with any new adds to the tram.

May be I am wrong, just a hopeful guess - that Sweetshot is aka  Fargoman; aka Fargocase from the Wild Message Board. And DirtofMinny is a Hockey-78  from the Wild Message Board too.🤔.

I  misunderstood what was going on with our former Wild Message Board(still is on) - it was a sarcastic joke from the Wild Web administrator to see a Wild fan reaction or their mind was changed by someone personal request( may be a Wild owner) to restore the Wild Message Board back?

5 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

I  misunderstood what was going on with our former Wild Message Board(still is on) - it was a sarcastic joke from the Wild Web administrator to see a Wild fan reaction or their mind was changed by someone personal request( may be a Wild owner) to restore the Wild Message Board back?

My guess why all the remaining team message boards  were down could have been a server, software change / upgrade, etc.  Which is why they were all up the next day.   As far as the Wild's message goes, it isn't accessible via the  Wild site menu anymore and hasn't been since sometime before all migrated here.  Maybe for some reason they chose to keep it up a little longer, but one cannot find it without a link or via google since it is not on the Wild menu, unlike the other open team message boards that are still available.

When the NHL obtained their new website several years ago all 30 teams had their own forums.  That is not the case anymore.

8 hours ago, sweetshot said:

Not the optimum situation, but there's nothing wrong with an entry-level fix--- if you get it. The mistake was in leaving him here too long.

Its not a fix if the player isn't ready.  Just throwing him in there is a pretty dumb way to find out.  I don't think you needed 10 games to evaluate if he's ready.  They rush players for their own needs, not when the player is ready.  It was the same with the 1-way deals to Reilly and Olofsson, neither were ready and the team had to bring in another defenseman via waivers.  IMO, that is incompetent and impatient talent evaluation.   

Archived