What should Fentons first "tweak" be as the Wilds new GM?

sweetshot

8 hours ago, DirtofMinny said:

He's going to have to do:

Buyout Ennis (he is nowhere near the salary he is earning)

Sign Zucker

Sign Dumba

Look to make a significant trade that will need to reduce salary cap pressure and not disrupt the core.  Candidates for this would be (Parise or Suter - fat chance anyone would want their contracts), Spurgeon (Like him, but he makes an awful lot), Coyle (just not getting it done), Nino (also not getting it done), Granny (too damn small for the playoffs, can help get you there, but too easily pushed around in the playoffs)  the latter 3 may have some suitors and we'd have to get real clever and lucky.  Need some guys with sandpaper and a #2 up and coming goaltender. 

Ultimately, Dubnyk and not tough enough is the reason we won't advance in the playoffs.  Dubnyk is OK, but just OK.  We are too soft, need to strike some fear in opponents with any new adds to the tram.

Of all the players listed I would send Nino packing. I thought he had multiple injuries based on his play in the playoffs. Slow, actually avoiding contact of any kind. 

Then runs off to the worlds and plays great. 

Not the kind of guy I want on my team. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Its not a fix if the player isn't ready.  Just throwing him in there is a pretty dumb way to find out.  I don't think you needed 10 games to evaluate if he's ready.  They rush players for their own needs, not when the player is ready.  It was the same with the 1-way deals to Reilly and Olofsson, neither were ready and the team had to bring in another defenseman via waivers.  IMO, that is incompetent and impatient talent evaluation.   

Sometimes a player will surprise. Seeler would be a good example. The 1-way deals were not good.

I don't agree that it's a dumb way to find out. Hey, they throw babies into the water when they're infants to see if they can swim.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:12 AM, sweetshot said:

That's Leipolds right--he has ownership of all his players--after all it is his team.

As far as the picture speaking volumes--Doesn't the sour look they have indicate a change has happened that they don't like?? isn't the fact that they look unhappy a good thing?? I don't get what you are saying.

Yes they looked unhappy as they lost their friend not a boss. But they didn't fear being caught like that cause they know Leipold worships the ground they walk on.  That's a huge indication to how this team was working. Leipold has the right to feel that but this indicates another big issue. He doesn't see the problem or the fact the core players are leading to the same results and with his words about what he wanted in a GM he basically fired Fletcher to hire another Fletcher. A good owner can actually own up to this and change. Leipold wants more of the same. This does not vote well for Wild fans. Leipold needs to take a back seat ride and let a new GM start turning the ship around in a new direction or we will see six more years of the exact same result if not us getting worse and losing young talent to other teams.

3 minutes ago, EJ0226 said:

Yes they looked unhappy as they lost their friend not a boss. But they didn't fear being caught like that cause they know Leipold worships the ground they walk on.  That's a huge indication to how this team was working. Leipold has the right to feel that but this indicates another big issue. He doesn't see the problem or the fact the core players are leading to the same results and with his words about what he wanted in a GM he basically fired Fletcher to hire another Fletcher. This does not vote well for Wild fans. Leipold needs to take a back seat ride and let a new GM start turning the ship around in a new direction or we will see six more years of the exact same result if not us getting worse and losing young talent to other teams.

Got it. Agree with most of what you said. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for this team to go in a new direction--you probably aren't either--I just don't see Leipold allowing that to happen. Too risky for him because there is a chance the team would get worse before they got better if you blew the current roster up. A long rebuild could drive attendance down and impact Leipold's pocketbook. IMO he owns the Wild primarily for the $$$ and his ego.

My original thought was that CF had ownership of a certain player, namely Koivu. Parise and Suter were signed after Leipold bought the team, so IMO CF did not have "ownership" of these 2. He doesn't want the new GM to have "ownership" in any player. I guess that would be a good thing in one way--and a bad thing in one way--no conflict(difference of opinion) between the owner and GM. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

I hope I am wrong about Leipold, but I just don't have much trust in ownership to do what is in the best interest of the fans.

20 hours ago, hf101 said:

My guess why all the remaining team message boards  were down could have been a server, software change / upgrade, etc.  Which is why they were all up the next day.   As far as the Wild's message goes, it isn't accessible via the  Wild site menu anymore and hasn't been since sometime before all migrated here.  Maybe for some reason they chose to keep it up a little longer, but one cannot find it without a link or via google since it is not on the Wild menu, unlike the other open team message boards that are still available.

When the NHL obtained their new website several years ago all 30 teams had their own forums.  That is not the case anymore.

Agree, it was down for few days. They kept it up  a little longer since December of the last year without a link on the Wild menu. Without the link on the Wild site I usually found our Wild Message Board through the Google search - Wild hockey fan talk.  It seems finally Wild Discussion Board there is off - Amen. We found our new home here and pleased well with it for years ahead.

According to The Athletic's Michael Russo, Wild Assistant Coach John Anderson may not be returning after not having his contract renewed.

This could mean that Boudreau is on a short leash.  :tongue:

Questions came up during their GM search about whether of not the Wild would stick with Boudreau or let the new GM exercise free reign to seek his own. The way Leipold handled it, and when Fenton was asked about it, both their answers to me indicated it may land on Boudreau's shoulders. Meaning if he's everything Fenton wants in a coach he'd stay; or if Boudreau knows he's lost the players he may opt to leave on his own accord. Mostly it seemed like a very gray area.

1 hour ago, rottenrefs said:

Questions came up during their GM search about whether of not the Wild would stick with Boudreau or let the new GM exercise free reign to seek his own. The way Leipold handled it, and when Fenton was asked about it, both their answers to me indicated it may land on Boudreau's shoulders. Meaning if he's everything Fenton wants in a coach he'd stay; or if Boudreau knows he's lost the players he may opt to leave on his own accord. Mostly it seemed like a very gray area.

I would be surprised is Fenton keeps Boudreau around after this season. Especially if the team turns in another one-and-done in the Playoffs. If Boudreau gets this team to the second round, then he may see the third year of his contract.

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I would be surprised is Fenton keeps Boudreau around after this season. Especially if the team turns in another one-and-done in the Playoffs. If Boudreau gets this team to the second round, then he may see the third year of his contract.

I bet he walks before Christmas.

8 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

I bet he walks before Christmas.

Tough to say. He has gotten them over 100 points the last two seasons, including last seasons injury fest. No other coach has gotten them to achieve two 100+ point seasons in their careers. Not Lemaire, not Richards and not Yeo.

I just think the mentality and make up of this team is not conducive for Playoff success. They refuse to take the body, content to poke check at opposing teams. When pucks go into the corners, rarely do they follow it and battle for it. They are content to take shots from the perimeter rather than crashing the net and getting ugly goals. The defense continuously lets opposing teams set up in front of Dubnyk without opposition. 

They are a "nice" team, that very easily can have a good season. And if that is the goal, to have a good season, then Mission Accomplished. But Playoff success? I think not. To me they just don't have that arrogant, tough, swagger or that killer instinct that most Playoff teams exhibit.

26 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

To me they just don't have that arrogant, tough, swagger or that killer instinct that most Playoff teams exhibit.

The Capitals never had this kind of tough swagger before this years playoffs... just sayin...

56 minutes ago, hf101 said:

The Capitals never had this kind of tough swagger before this years playoffs... just sayin...

Tough running into the Pens every year though too and they finally got over that hump (look at them now). What if we did not get beat by the hawks them couple years? Gotta beat the best to be the best but dam them Hawks

5 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Tough to say. He has gotten them over 100 points the last two seasons, including last seasons injury fest. No other coach has gotten them to achieve two 100+ point seasons in their careers. Not Lemaire, not Richards and not Yeo.

I just think the mentality and make up of this team is not conducive for Playoff success. They refuse to take the body, content to poke check at opposing teams. When pucks go into the corners, rarely do they follow it and battle for it. They are content to take shots from the perimeter rather than crashing the net and getting ugly goals. The defense continuously lets opposing teams set up in front of Dubnyk without opposition. 

They are a "nice" team, that very easily can have a good season. And if that is the goal, to have a good season, then Mission Accomplished. But Playoff success? I think not. To me they just don't have that arrogant, tough, swagger or that killer instinct that most Playoff teams exhibit.

More than anybody Boudreau knows how good this team can be when they're all aimed in the right direction. However, more often on a regular basis we're seeing him pissed off, frustrated and flat out weary of being asked questions he has no answers for (regarding the players not showing up and performing.)

edit:

At some point he's just going to pop and walk away.

3 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

More than anybody Boudreau knows how good this team can be when they're all aimed in the right direction. However, more often on a regular basis we're seeing him pissed off, frustrated and flat out weary of being asked questions he has no answers for (regarding the players not showing up and performing.)

edit:

At some point he's just going to pop and walk away.

Was funny when we watched the final Wild-Jets game at work, we actually saw Bruce shout "****!" after a Jets goal. My co-worker, who's a Caps fan, said he had never seen him cuss like that before.

23 minutes ago, Lonkkis said:

Was funny when we watched the final Wild-Jets game at work, we actually saw Bruce shout "****!" after a Jets goal. My co-worker, who's a Caps fan, said he had never seen him cuss like that before.

This team is so frustrating they probably could make Jesus cuss like a sailor...

48 minutes ago, Lonkkis said:

Often this past year he's used the effin'heimer. At refs, at goals scored against...

1 hour ago, Lonkkis said:

I guess your friend never watched 24/7 road to the winter classic of the Pittsburgh vs the Capitals.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:30 AM, sweetshot said:

Got it. Agree with most of what you said. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for this team to go in a new direction--you probably aren't either--I just don't see Leipold allowing that to happen. Too risky for him because there is a chance the team would get worse before they got better if you blew the current roster up. A long rebuild could drive attendance down and impact Leipold's pocketbook. IMO he owns the Wild primarily for the $$$ and his ego.

My original thought was that CF had ownership of a certain player, namely Koivu. Parise and Suter were signed after Leipold bought the team, so IMO CF did not have "ownership" of these 2. He doesn't want the new GM to have "ownership" in any player. I guess that would be a good thing in one way--and a bad thing in one way--no conflict(difference of opinion) between the owner and GM. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

I hope I am wrong about Leipold, but I just don't have much trust in ownership to do what is in the best interest of the fans.

I agree with you on most of everything you said. CF is in it for $ and pride. He wanted to own something. He couldn't afford a NBA team with the money his wife has so he found something "cheaper" and had to be one of the boys and own something.

Koivu was here before CF. If anything Koivu would be the one player he wouldn't have ownership on. But Parise and Suter were brought in after Leipold had bought the team. Those fat contracts were signed by him. Those are his guys. He has worshipped the ground they walked on.

A rebuild is going to happen. We were fifth oldest team. Our farm system is terrible. Our one true promise is staying in Russia and doesn't want anything to do with us. This team was built to win in the first few years Parise and Suter were signed and they didn't do it. Yes they have made the playoffs for 6 years but you also have to look at the fact a bunch of times they went ass backwards into the playoffs and even needed help from other teams to make it. They need a rebuild to shed the old vets with declining skills to get young and get rid of Fletchers touch. Until that happens this team will never ever be a serious contender unless every single star aligned and other teams had tons of injuries. Anybody who thinks otherwise is foolish and part of the reason why this team doesn't strive to be better. CF is seeing the money which is good enough. He is like the Pohlads. Got to hurt their pocketbooks to get changes to happen.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:02 PM, IllaZilla said:

Honestly, I am surprised Boudreau hasn't walked away already. Go back and watch those interviews during his first season. He had fire, passion and thought of everything as a team. Now the fire is gone, he looks like he is just going through the motions and it's no longer a "we" as team thing.

There is cancer and it's hard not to call Suter and Parise it. After all the Adam Oates ordeal shows they didn't care what the coach thinks and that their teammates didn't matter. I forgot the PP is only 2 guys on the ice..... Minnesota fans hate hearing this but you have to know deep down. They have more input on this team than the coaching staff does. And it's not like Bruce can really say anything as you know the owners stick together and can black list Bruce.

On 6/6/2018 at 7:00 AM, IllaZilla said:

Agree, tough to say.

Let's bring some more positive notes into our discussion. I still like him a lot. And agree, he is the first who lead our team 2 regular seasons in a row with more than 100 points. He is the first during this season to coach our team without any drastically long slumps which we had before for years. In my opinion, he put a solid part of his life for establishing the core of the Capitals team, a current Stanley Cup winner, who did not have enough the toughness and a character till this playoffs season but finally built it. Agree with Hf101 about that part.
I am surprised to note, that no one mentioned a critical video on youtube about Bruce Boudreau coaching 3 teams: A Legacy of Failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP_-7OxYzKw

But after this video, I liked him even more, because sometimes, he needs to talk that way to some players because of their less inspirational play. Probably, with the time(sooner or later) tough characters, anger, unsatisfaction(more or less) will be built inside of most players, but not always. Selection should be the main part of the building a tough playoff team. Finally, it happened with a Capitals team.

I really liked how Bruce coached the first year here until the playoffs, then he seemed to change his style when we got into the playoffs.

I hope he goes back to the way he coached the first year.

On 6/5/2018 at 7:42 AM, sweetshot said:

Sometimes a player will surprise. Seeler would be a good example. The 1-way deals were not good.

I don't agree that it's a dumb way to find out. Hey, they throw babies into the water when they're infants to see if they can swim.

You don't agree that it was a bad idea to give unproven defenseman Mike Reilly and Gustav "Balsa Wood" Olofsson 1-way deals?  Would you like to buy some land I own in Florida?  :rolleyes:

On 6/7/2018 at 10:46 AM, EJ0226 said:

I agree with you on most of everything you said. CF is in it for $ and pride. He wanted to own something. He couldn't afford a NBA team with the money his wife has so he found something "cheaper" and had to be one of the boys and own something.

Koivu was here before CF. If anything Koivu would be the one player he wouldn't have ownership on. But Parise and Suter were brought in after Leipold had bought the team. Those fat contracts were signed by him. Those are his guys. He has worshipped the ground they walked on.

A rebuild is going to happen. We were fifth oldest team. Our farm system is terrible. Our one true promise is staying in Russia and doesn't want anything to do with us. This team was built to win in the first few years Parise and Suter were signed and they didn't do it. Yes they have made the playoffs for 6 years but you also have to look at the fact a bunch of times they went ass backwards into the playoffs and even needed help from other teams to make it. They need a rebuild to shed the old vets with declining skills to get young and get rid of Fletchers touch. Until that happens this team will never ever be a serious contender unless every single star aligned and other teams had tons of injuries. Anybody who thinks otherwise is foolish and part of the reason why this team doesn't strive to be better. CF is seeing the money which is good enough. He is like the Pohlads. Got to hurt their pocketbooks to get changes to happen.

Honestly, I am surprised Boudreau hasn't walked away already. Go back and watch those interviews during his first season. He had fire, passion and thought of everything as a team. Now the fire is gone, he looks like he is just going through the motions and it's no longer a "we" as team thing.

There is cancer and it's hard not to call Suter and Parise it. After all the Adam Oates ordeal shows they didn't care what the coach thinks and that their teammates didn't matter. I forgot the PP is only 2 guys on the ice..... Minnesota fans hate hearing this but you have to know deep down. They have more input on this team than the coaching staff does. And it's not like Bruce can really say anything as you know the owners stick together and can black list Bruce.

(shrugs)  I don't think Bruce Boudreau is worried about being blacklisted.  I think he stated rather clearly when he was hired that this is his last kick at the can.  If it doesn't work or he isn't happy...he'll walk away from it.  I think he's happy enough.  Its a hockey market, but without much pressure from the outside.  Do I think he realizes Zach and Ryan call the shots or have an unhealthy amount of influence over this club?  Yes.  But he is also smart enough to know that player contracts are longer than coaching contracts and a player who is bff's with the owner is going to win out each and every time.  See Ted Leonsis and Alex Ovechkin.  In the end, it finally worked out for the Capitals...but that was 2 coaches later, after Boudreau helped turn them into a winner.  

WE SHOULD be seeing a massive rebuild, but I don't think we'll see one.  Zach and Ryan don't want that.  They have the younger guys under control, they have the stable, low pressure (just making the playoffs each year is good enough) they wanted.  This team will continue moving chairs around as the ship continues to sink.  Afterall, we're have at least 7 more seasons with these two anchors...

I also don't think Kaprizov hates the Wild.  I think he was perplexed the team didn't talk to him more so he got anxious and signed an extension.  IMO, that's on Fletcher.  I know Russo will say that was because of his agent, etc.  But if we REALLY wanted to meet him, we could have.  Money talks...and I have no doubt Kaprizov wants money.  

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

You don't agree that it was a bad idea to give unproven defenseman Mike Reilly and Gustav "Balsa Wood" Olofsson 1-way deals?  Would you like to buy some land I own in Florida?  :rolleyes:

I do agree that giving either of those 2 guys 1-way deals was a bad idea. I don't really like 1-way deals for anybody except maybe for an old veteran that may help the club.

On 6/6/2018 at 4:40 PM, IllaZilla said:

This team is so frustrating they probably could make Jesus cuss like a sailor...

Jesus would say, "I can make water into wine, but I can't make a Stanley Cup winner out of this POS."  

Archived