What should Fentons first "tweak" be as the Wilds new GM?

sweetshot

23 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

I do agree that giving either of those 2 guys 1-way deals was a bad idea. I don't really like 1-way deals for anybody except maybe for an old veteran that may help the club.

But yet we did just that.  And then had to add an old veteran who refused to play on the right side.  So then we had to bring in a guy off waivers...one of Fletcher's moments of brilliance.  

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

But yet we did just that.  And then had to add an old veteran who refused to play on the right side.  So then we had to bring in a guy off waivers...one of Fletcher's moments of brilliance.  

Yeah, he had a few of those. No idea what he could have been thinking except maybe he thought they were worth the risk?😖

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:37 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

(shrugs)  I don't think Bruce Boudreau is worried about being blacklisted.  I think he stated rather clearly when he was hired that this is his last kick at the can.  If it doesn't work or he isn't happy...he'll walk away from it.  I think he's happy enough.  Its a hockey market, but without much pressure from the outside.  Do I think he realizes Zach and Ryan call the shots or have an unhealthy amount of influence over this club?  Yes.  But he is also smart enough to know that player contracts are longer than coaching contracts and a player who is bff's with the owner is going to win out each and every time.  See Ted Leonsis and Alex Ovechkin.  In the end, it finally worked out for the Capitals...but that was 2 coaches later, after Boudreau helped turn them into a winner.  

WE SHOULD be seeing a massive rebuild, but I don't think we'll see one.  Zach and Ryan don't want that.  They have the younger guys under control, they have the stable, low pressure (just making the playoffs each year is good enough) they wanted.  This team will continue moving chairs around as the ship continues to sink.  Afterall, we're have at least 7 more seasons with these two anchors...

I also don't think Kaprizov hates the Wild.  I think he was perplexed the team didn't talk to him more so he got anxious and signed an extension.  IMO, that's on Fletcher.  I know Russo will say that was because of his agent, etc.  But if we REALLY wanted to meet him, we could have.  Money talks...and I have no doubt Kaprizov wants money.  

I am thinking more a black eye or blemish on his resume not so much about running to coaching somewhere else. You never know if he wants to get involved in other aspects of hockey. I think he is a good coach and stubborn enough to follow through on what he started so he is sticking through his contract.

For sure we should be doing a massive rebuild. This team is built to just back into the playoffs and that is it. Six straight years of this junk. The core stays the same as other pieces are moved around and exact same results yet the team seems to think it's everything but the core guys. I know us Minnesotans have a certain pride in the "one of us" playing in the pros and want to put blinders on but we need to stop it. Parise is probably the biggest set back to this franchise. If he was making half the money and half the years I could probably swallow the pill. Parise has only had two seasons ever of "elite" play but otherwise struggles to get even to top 55. He was never a elite player or a player that would take the franchise to the next level but the Wild paid him like he was and still treat him like he is. He would be a great player to have with players like Ovie, Crosby. Matthews, etc but on his own and especially for his price it's a anchor for a franchise. His attitude sucks and was exposed to the public with the Adam Oates ordeal. They flipped off the coaching staff (yes they were awful for the PP) and their team mates and went out and did their own thing. I didn't realize that on our PP we only had two players out there, Parise and Suter.

I don't think Kaprizov hates the Wild but I think he lost his care factor for them with how he was treated. I don't understand how they couldn't wine and dine possibly their best prospect in franchise history. I think part of it is Kaprizov is a LW and Parise is LW. God forbid that Kaprizov comes in and lights it up and looks great well Parise keeps declining. Seems like the Wild organazation is more worried about sticking to their guns and not hurt their pride instead of going we made a big mistake. We realize it now and are trying to fix it. So it snowballs bigger and bigger. I do believe that if Kaprizov could have been wine and dined by another team he would be playing in the NHL.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting tidbit from Russo on the podcast this (6/21) afternoon.   Suggested that Fenton had a deal in the works to trade Zucker, Nino and Ennis.    Russo flatly stated the Wild would have acquired considerably less talent in the deal (primarily to unload Ennis' contract).    He said, in his opinion, the Wild are lucky that the deal didn't work out (to this point).     He went on to say that he's hearing from about everyone that Nino will be moved.

10 minutes ago, 4Check said:

Interesting tidbit from Russo on the podcast this (6/21) afternoon.   Suggested that Fenton had a deal in the works to trade Zucker, Nino and Ennis.    Russo flatly stated the Wild would have acquired considerably less talent in the deal (primarily to unload Ennis' contract).    He said, in his opinion, the Wild are lucky that the deal didn't work out (to this point).     He went on to say that he's hearing from about everyone that Nino will be moved.

I didn't hear the podcast, but I saw the article in the athletic.  Yea, I saw it too...it was dealing Zucker and Nino (along with Ennis) to Arizona for Max Domi and Christian Dvorak.  That's a terrible trade.  He also stated in the article that most believe Dumba WILL NOT be moved.  

1 minute ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I didn't hear the podcast, but I saw the article in the athletic.  Yea, I saw it too...it was dealing Zucker and Nino (along with Ennis) to Arizona for Max Domi and Christian Dvorak.  That's a terrible trade.  He also stated in the article that most believe Dumba WILL NOT be moved.  

It was a poor proposal,  unless freeing up give or take around 15 million was going to create cap space for a separate huge acquisition.

Just now, 4Check said:

It was a poor proposal,  unless freeing up give or take around 15 million was going to create cap space for a separate huge acquisition.

Well I think that's what the objective was.  Perhaps to be a player on some of the big names being bantered about in free agency or as additional trades.  I think lots of teams are looking to ship out big salaried players but you have to have the space for them to land here.  Not sure I think that's the best move, but its clearly the move the Wild apparently focused on.  

2 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Well I think that's what the objective was.  Perhaps to be a player on some of the big names being bantered about in free agency or as additional trades.  I think lots of teams are looking to ship out big salaried players but you have to have the space for them to land here.  Not sure I think that's the best move, but its clearly the move the Wild apparently focused on.  

Yeah, well one thing anyway,   It's starting to look like Fenton didn't get the Leipold memo on "all the Wild need are a couple of tweaks".

1 minute ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I wouldn’t consider giving up 50+ goals per season a “tweak”...

I can see them moving Nino. He's the only Wild player to score 20+ goals in 3 consecutive seasons playing 12-14 minutes a game. For the past 4-5 seasons I've said he probably has the best hands on of any Wild player. On any other team he'd probably get 30 goals a season if he wasn't limited to 3rd - 4th line duty and ride the bench during most the PP's.

If he goes there goes about 20% of the teams most consistent total offense the past 5 years.

1 hour ago, 4Check said:

Why would we give up Zucker?  I know we have to pay him but if we get rid of him we better be getting just as good or better. 

7 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

That is a horse shite trade what the fook is he smoking?

8 hours ago, Valentine1618 said:

Why would we give up Zucker?  I know we have to pay him but if we get rid of him we better be getting just as good or better. 

It's a salary dump trade. The Wild want out from under Ennis $4.5M salary, and the only way to get another team to take him is to give them something good in addition to Ennis. 

Personally I'd leave the team alone roster-wise. They did manage to get 100+ points last year. It would be interesting to see what this team would have looked like with a healthy Coyle, Niederreiter and Spurgeon all season. That being said, I do think they need to bump Koivu to 3C, and let EEK take the 2C slot. Keep Coyle on the wing, he's better there anyways. And change up that power play. Dumba supposedly has a cannon of a shot, but let's keep trotting Suter out there with his limp-wristed wrist shot and have Mikko on the halfwall trying to decide who he will pass to for the 49th time rather than shooting the dang puck...

4 hours ago, Starofthenorth said:

That is a horse shite trade what the fook is he smoking?

It would have been a horse **** trade for the Coyotes too. Instead they got Galchenyuk straight up for Domi without giving up Dvorak and having to take on the Ennis contract. Marc Bergevin is the dumbest GM in the league.

13 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Here is a perfect example of the Negative trade value of Ennis.

Trading Zucker's speed and scoring would be a huge mistake for this team to make.. so imo theres a 99% chance not only will we see it happen but they also won't get anything of value in return. This franchise has made bone headed trades far more often than not.. no matter the owner or GM.

I really hope I'm wrong but I've followed this team long enough to know to expect the worst case scenario to happen.

11 minutes ago, Gnarkill said:

Trading Zucker's speed and scoring would be a huge mistake for this team to make.. so imo theres a 99% chance not only will we see it happen but they also won't get anything of value in return. This franchise has made bone headed trades far more often than not.. no matter the owner or GM.

I really hope I'm wrong but I've followed this team long enough to know to expect the worst case scenario to happen.

No, that's just the Minnesotan in you...hope for the best but expect the worst. 🙂

6 hours ago, Jagged Ice said:

It would have been a horse **** trade for the Coyotes too. Instead they got Galchenyuk straight up for Domi without giving up Dvorak and having to take on the Ennis contract. Marc Bergevin is the dumbest GM in the league.

No, it would've been a fleecing of the Wild BY the Coyotes.  Nino, Coyle and you just have to put Ennis in the same box you did "Pronger" and "Datsyuk" in years past?  The Coyotes would've made out like bandits if that deal happened.  

On 6/21/2018 at 9:10 PM, IllaZilla said:

I wouldn’t consider giving up 50+ goals per season a “tweak”...

That would be not a "tweak", but a huge mistake. Same as they did for #24 selection draft. Average talent = average team. Not a supersmart decisions in scouting lead to a fans discouraging. Scouting brains should work more intense at this important time of the year than as they are doing it now. Look for a superb talent.

1 hour ago, Valentine1618 said:

Just saw he offered qualifying offers to Zucker and Dumba. I hope Fenton doesn’t get rid of the players that actually play and try. We need to keep what is working and boost what isn’t. 

Wouldn't that be a breath of fresh air?

Keep the players with heart, passion and determination every second they're on the ice. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have every player on the roster show up and give it their all for 60 minutes a game for all 82 games each season.

Archived