What should Fentons first "tweak" be as the Wilds new GM?

sweetshot

4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

The reason I ask about prospects is Toronto.  Craig Mirtle's article suggests the Leafs may try to trade the Wild for one of its top 4 defenseman.  It suggests they'd perhaps be willing to take Ennis off our hands.  So if they will take that...would we accept a prospect in return like a Kasperi Kapanen?  

That would really leave a hole in the defense. You'd have Suter (maybe), two of (Brodin, Spurgeon, or Dumba), Olofsson, Soucy, Seeler, and maybe Murphy or Prosser. 

Yuk.

Yes, we'd get Kapanen and lose Ennis. Kapanen does seems very intriguing. Almost a point per game in the AHL, but seems to tail off in the NHL. But there must be something decent there, because he was traded for Cheeseburger Phil Kessel.

If something like this occurs, that offense better score a ton because that defense is going to give up a ton. Unless they use the freed up Ennis salary to sign a decent defenseman to fill the hole left by Brodin, Spurgeon or Dumba. But I'm guessing the freed up salary is going to be used to sign Zucker and Dumba (if he's not traded).

I have mixed feelings about that trade. I realize you have to give up something good to get something good. If the Wild had more depth on defense, I'd be more comfortable with it. But having Olofsson, Soucy, Seeler or Murphy as the heir apparent to Dumba/Spurgeon/Brodin? Yikes.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Teams like RFA's because they have more control over them. All they have to do is make a qualifying offer and the player is stuck only negotiating with his parent club. At least Zucker is arbitration eligible, so if the Wild (or the team he is traded to) can't agree on a contract, it goes to arbitration and the arbiter decides on the compensation and length of the deal (almost always one year). But no one likes to go to arbitration, because it can get very nasty, so much to the point that after the player fulfills his one year deal, he will walk away from the team and sign somewhere else as a UFA no matter what compensation the original club offers.

I thought since Zucker is a RFA now, that after he signs this contract he would be a UFA on his next contract.

Nino has had good production during the regular season for the last few years and even decent production during an injury year.

1 minute ago, Tomdog said:

I thought since Zucker is a RFA now, that after he signs this contract he would be a UFA on his next contract.

Nino has had good production during the regular season for the last few years and even decent production during an injury year.

You are correct, Zucker will be a UFA after this contract. If it goes to arbitration, he will probably get a one year deal. After that, he is free to become a UFA or he can negotiate an extension with the Wild. If Zucker and the team come to an agreement before the arbitration date, then he will become a UFA after the length of that contract. 

Yeah, not sure why teams are shying away from Nino. He had a disappointing year, and missed a bunch of games to injury. But from what I read and heard, he seemed to bounce back at the IIHF World Cup tournament...

47 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Yeah, not sure why teams are shying away from Nino. He had a disappointing year, and missed a bunch of games to injury. But from what I read and heard, he seemed to bounce back at the IIHF World Cup tournament...

His bounce back in the world cup is why I would try to trade him.

In the playoffs he seemed to try to avoid all contact.

My guess, he wanted to be in good shape for the world cup.

2 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

His bounce back in the world cup is why I would try to trade him.

In the playoffs he seemed to try to avoid all contact.

My guess, he wanted to be in good shape for the world cup.

He's not the only player on that team that avoided physical contact...in general the Wild as a team avoid physical contact. They've finished last or second to last in the NHL for hits thrown over the last five seasons...

8 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

He's not the only player on that team that avoided physical contact...in general the Wild as a team avoid physical contact. They've finished last or second to last in the NHL for hits thrown over the last five seasons...

True, but I have never seen a player in the playoffs cower away from physical play like that before.

7 hours ago, Tomdog said:

True, but I have never seen a player in the playoffs cower away from physical play like that before.

I only watch a couple of playoff games, so I'll take your word for it... 

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

So...anyone heard anything on Suter's prognosis?

I heard he's off the scooter.  He's going to have some sort of additional check up soon.  But still hasn't tried to put weight on it yet.  The check up to my understanding will give an indicator if he can start putting weight on it being more active.  I also heard Suter is selling his house on that 'farm' we got to see on Becoming Wild and moving closer to Madison.  Russo believes that is why the team didn't look to deal Brodin at all this summer; because Suter's situation is so uncertain.  In related news, he thinks Fenton has found out the rest of the league doesn't really hold a lot of value for Wild players.  Not as much as the organization values them so any return for a trade would likely be kind of underwhelming.  

5 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I heard he's off the scooter.  He's going to have some sort of additional check up soon.  But still hasn't tried to put weight on it yet.  The check up to my understanding will give an indicator if he can start putting weight on it being more active.  I also heard Suter is selling his house on that 'farm' we got to see on Becoming Wild and moving closer to Madison.  Russo believes that is why the team didn't look to deal Brodin at all this summer; because Suter's situation is so uncertain.  In related news, he thinks Fenton has found out the rest of the league doesn't really hold a lot of value for Wild players.  Not as much as the organization values them so any return for a trade would likely be kind of underwhelming.  

I was just wondering if the injury is bad enough that the team would put him on LTIR like the Leafs did with Nathan Horton/Joffrey Lupul...maybe get cap relief that way...

But it doesn't surprise me about what the rest of the league thinks about Wild players. They have nice players, but that's about it. No one that really makes you sit up and take notice of them...

10 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

In related news, he thinks Fenton has found out the rest of the league doesn't really hold a lot of value for Wild players.  Not as much as the organization values them so any return for a trade would likely be kind of underwhelming.  

So the rest of the league has figured out what we on the message boards have known for a while.

16 hours ago, Tomdog said:

So the rest of the league has figured out what we on the message boards have known for a while.

Yeah, they were probably scouring the Boards after Leipold stated he never reads them. 😊

2 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Or what the Wild's brass deluded themselves to believe...that we have such valuable assets, but in a sentimental way.  

Once again, the Wild acting like they are the smartest guys in the room...

8 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Once again, the Wild acting like they are the smartest guys in the room...

They would be able to put Suter on LTIR but if we had any other serious injuries...we wouldn't be able to put them on LTIR as well.  Still no real word as to when we can expect Suter to be back.  This team has never been open about almost anything pertaining to injuries.  Not that they're the only NHL club that way.  

3 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

They would be able to put Suter on LTIR but if we had any other serious injuries...we wouldn't be able to put them on LTIR as well.  Still no real word as to when we can expect Suter to be back.  This team has never been open about almost anything pertaining to injuries.  Not that they're the only NHL club that way.  

So how can Toronto have both Horton and Lupul on LTIR, but the Wild could only have Suter?

4 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

So how can Toronto have both Horton and Lupul on LTIR, but the Wild could only have Suter?

I am not sure, but I distinctly remember Russo saying that we couldn't put Parise and Coyle on it, because you could only have one person on LTIR.   Maybe its only one during the season.  Does anyone want to pour through the CBA to look this up?  

Just skimmed through the CBA. Didn't see any mention of only being able to have a single person on LTIR. Mostly there was a lot of text about only being able to get player(s) whose total salary cannot exceed the salary of the person who is put on LTIR and a bunch of stuff about duration etc.

19 hours ago, Lonkkis said:

Just skimmed through the CBA. Didn't see any mention of only being able to have a single person on LTIR. Mostly there was a lot of text about only being able to get player(s) whose total salary cannot exceed the salary of the person who is put on LTIR and a bunch of stuff about duration etc.

CapFriendly.com has a nice write up about this. According to that site there is like three different ways to calculate the LTIR depending on when you are doing it. It’s just bizarre. 

If I have some time I may try to run some calculations just to for fun...

Archived