Kessel on the Trading Block?

hf101

There are some rumors floating around out there that Kessel is on Sullivan and Rutherford's trading block.  According to the Athletic Kessel and Sullivan have seen better times.  Kessel wasn't happy with being moved off Malkin's 2nd line in the playoffs and Sullivan isn't happy about Kessel's said "pouty" attitude amongst other things.  With Kessel only putting up 1 goal in the postseason and Sullivan having a strong voice on his roster I wouldn't be surprised to see Kessel moved this off-season for some younger talent and a high draft pick. 

Arizona maybe?  Kessel does have a M-NTC as he can select up the 8 teams on his roster might he select playing for Tocchet again?

5 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

As long as he does not end up in philly......the man would eat himself into a short white version of Dustin Byfulgien.....🐷

I get the feeling he may do that anywhere he goes. 

As long as the Pens get something for the future!

Also, as long as the Pens keep beating the Flyers in the regular season and playoffs I'd be fine with it!😉

I thought he played well for the Pens! This years playoffs I thought something was wrong. I thought he was playing thru a minor injury

2 hours ago, notfondajane said:

I thought he was playing thru a minor injury

Yeah I thought the same thing. I read somewhere they had it listed as a "lower body" injury. I think it was hunger pangs. 

He asks that all fans pay tribute with a shrine. 

Image result for fat kessel

On 5/30/2018 at 7:32 AM, hf101 said:

There are some rumors floating around out there that Kessel is on Sullivan and Rutherford's trading block.  According to the Athletic Kessel and Sullivan have seen better times.  Kessel wasn't happy with being moved off Malkin's 2nd line in the playoffs and Sullivan isn't happy about Kessel's said "pouty" attitude amongst other things.  With Kessel only putting up 1 goal in the postseason and Sullivan having a strong voice on his roster I wouldn't be surprised to see Kessel moved this off-season for some younger talent and a high draft pick. 

More than rumors. I think he's being actively shopped.  I like the guy. I think a lot of what is said about him is exaggerated (to a point). However, nothing wrong with adding some new blood to the roster.  Sprong (Kessel-lite...literally) is getting top 9 minutes next year according to JR.

I think the Pens can get a decent return. Even with the lousy playoffs this year he still has 75 points in 83 career playoff games and he probably should have won the Conn Smythe in 2016. The $6.8 million cap hit is a lot lower than most of his peers with comparable stats. 

1 hour ago, B21 said:

The $6.8 million cap hit is a lot lower than most of his peers with comparable stats. 

That's almost a bargain.

He's a good player, I wonder though if like certain coaches ( ahem - Tortarella) he has a "shelf life" ?

On 5/31/2018 at 12:41 PM, B21 said:

More than rumors. I think he's being actively shopped.  I like the guy. I think a lot of what is said about him is exaggerated (to a point). However, nothing wrong with adding some new blood to the roster.  Sprong (Kessel-lite...literally) is getting top 9 minutes next year according to JR.

I think the Pens can get a decent return. Even with the lousy playoffs this year he still has 75 points in 83 career playoff games and he probably should have won the Conn Smythe in 2016. The $6.8 million cap hit is a lot lower than most of his peers with comparable stats. 

I would to see him go! I think he was an excellent cotributor (sic) to our cup run!

Kessel has value for a team in need of raching the cap floor and wanting a legitimate scoring threat. I doubt the return would be anything resembling equitable but a middling player/pick to go along with the cap relief is certainly possible. He served his purpose and played a huge role in helping the Pens to a couple of cups but in the salary cap world that we live in I think Rutherford would need to at least listen to any callers. Looking at Capfriendly it projects the Pens with just under 5 million in cap space with half a dozen middling RFAs needing to get paid. Someone like Arizona or Carolina who always fight the cap floor could get involved, someone like Vancouver who are ISO offense and an identity might as well. Like I said, if the Pens agree to 50 cents on the dollar the flexibility it would allow by removing 6.8 million a year off the books would be huge.

Two RFA who they might consider instead/also are Hagelin who hasn't done much lately or Brassard both have a year left at 4 million, Brassard especially might bring in a decent return from a team desperate for a center.

23 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Kessel has value for a team in need of raching the cap floor and wanting a legitimate scoring threat.

Kessel also has an eight-team no-trade list which I would imagine includes any team in that situation. If you had to put a list of eight teams together that you wouldn't want to be traded to, would Arizona, Carolina, and Vancouver be on that list?

I think they'd be on mine...

Also, his compensation doesn't really drop. He's due $7M the next two seasons and then two $1M salary/$5M signing bonus ($6M) years.

4 hours ago, radoran said:

Kessel also has an eight-team no-trade list which I would imagine includes any team in that situation. If you had to put a list of eight teams together that you wouldn't want to be traded to, would Arizona, Carolina, and Vancouver be on that list.

ABSOLUTELY I would say puff puff pass to any trade to Carolina or Vancouver, but IDK I might consider a trade to Arizona. They were a very good bad team if you know what I mean, last in the west but lots of building blocks. 

But an aside, I would look for teams who I didn't want to play for, lets use the Wings as a for instance, the Wings are gonna have cap issues with all the RFA they need to take care of, if I were him and not wanting to come to Motown I wouldn't list them and gamble that they couldn't make it work. Agreed Carolina and Arizona are always struggling just to get to the floor so you might need to list them. Of course the new Carolina owner is full of himself and I wouldn't be surprised if they make a massive splash on or before July first, he might try to convince Kessel to come there.

Somewhere in all of this rambling was a point, or was supposed to be but I lost my train of thought. My two year old grandson is in the middle of his third consecutive episode of PJ Masks on Disney channel and my brain has turned to mush.

Archived