Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL
yave1964

Hurricanes offseason- deja vu

Image result for carolina hurricanes

Like Yogi Berra once said, (supposedly) its Deja vu all over again. 

Every year, I mean EVERY FREAKING YEAR the Hurricanes seem to miss the postseason by 8-10 points but make strides while doing so, then they go out and sign someones top backup goalie and wring their hands before deciding to bring Cam Ward back as a 1B as insurance. They have high hopes that Elias Lindholm and Victor Rask will step into prominent roles in the top sox, that their young studly defense will develop into one of the best in the league and that they will make some noise and make the postseason. And every year I buy in believing along with many others that they are on the uptick and will be a solid bet to make the playoffs. Then they miss the playoffs by 8-10 points again and do the same damn things. I throw up my hands at this point. Hopefuly the new GM recognizes a need to add a 1C and a 2C. 

FINAL RECORD 36-35-11 83 POINTS 14 out of a playoff spot They actually spent most of the year 4-5 points out of a spot at worst until fading late.

FREE AGENTS 

Cam Ward. Again. Probably to be resigned as insurance. Ugh.

Lee Stempniak now on his 29th team.

Derek Ryan decent third liner probably going to resign.

TOP PROSPECTS First off Carolina has the second pick in the draft which means they will likely draft one of either Svechnikov, Zadina or Tkachuk, all wingers with goal scoring potential. It figures. Carolina in desperate need of a true center (I like Jordan Staal but he is their 1C which is a bad joke) and the draft is full of centers or wingers. Whichever they add goes to the head of the class, they may trade out for a center.

In the organization the top prospects are winger Julian Gauthier who has second line/first power play written all over him anda pair of gifted defenseman in Jake Bean and Haydn Fleury who will both push a crowded defense to make their mark. Martin Necas is a real center (!) but is likely at least a year away from making a difference. Some people seem to like Warren Foegele and Nicolas Roy, a couple of forwards but I see both as 13th forwards and career AHLers going forward.

OFFSEASON QUESTION MARKS:

DO YOU TRADE JUSTIN FAULK? Faulk had 8 goals and was a minus 26 and with the depth of kids (Bean, Fleury, Hanifin, Slavin, Pesce) fans have been screaming for years for the Canes to deal Faulk to fill a glaring need. This is where teams that lose out on the Karlsson sweepstakes will likely turn. Faulk is young enough to rebound and his best days are ahead of him. Yes, if I were Don Waddell I would look to deal him to fill other needs.

SPEAKING OF NEW GM DON WADDELL,  WHO THE HELL IS DON WADDELL? He was a career lowminor league player, a scout for a bunch of teams, coached the Thrashers for parts of two years, scouted for the Pens and landed in the Canes organization and when other better qualified candidates turned the Canes GM job down because the owner didn't want to pay them fair wage, Waddell was in the right place at the right time. He has a rep as a good judge of talent, the new owner is hands on and a bit of a Steinbrenner complex from all accounts so Waddell better rent not buy if things don't work out quickly.

ROD BRIND'AMOUR IS THE NEW COACH, HOW WILL THAT WORK OUT? I like Bill Peters from his day in Detroit, a good X's and O's coach and IMHO he will get another shot down the road somewhere, he got as much out as Francis gave him to work with. Francis never made inseason deals, as in never ever which is quite the surprise as he was one of the greatest midseason acquisitions in history when the Pens made him the final piece in the Jagr/Lemieux days in the early nineties. I believe that Brind'amour will have more say that Peters as his name commands respect and I also think the Canes will make some moves to improve. I am cautiously optimistic about the signing.

WILL SKINNER BE TRADED? The rumor is that not only Faulk but Skinner are to be shopped ahead of the draft, if Carolina holds their pick and adds a scoring winger to go with Gauthier Skinner may also be moved to fill other needs. It wouldn't surprise me.

RASK AND LINDHOLM, IS THAT ALL THEIR IS? After 4 years for Rask and 5 for Lindholm it is safe to say they are what they are, 40 point middle six forwards, nothing more. If someone starts spouting about their upside in print I will know the team is not serious about winning. 

WHAT ARE THEIR CHANCES? I refuse to buy the tee or drink the drink again until they show that they are ready to do more than try to fill critical positions with retreads. If Ward is resigned or someone like Hutchinson of the Jets/Moose is brought in to 'push' Darling, I will never believe in this organization again.

• Like 1

Let the Jack Hughes tanking begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!