2018 NHL Combine Results

2018 NHL Combine Results - Top 10 for each event

Here is a pretty good overview of the NHL Combine; which includes descriptions of the things athletes are expected to do.  I like that it even shows diagrams to explain what they're talking about.  Jack Gorniak; a High School kid from my neck of the woods had a heckuva Combine; earning Top 10 in a number of categories.  K'Andre Miller also was impressive.  Enjoy and discuss...

4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Here is a pretty good overview of the NHL Combine; which includes descriptions of the things athletes are expected to do.  I like that it even shows diagrams to explain what they're talking about.  Jack Gorniak; a High School kid from my neck of the woods had a heckuva Combine; earning Top 10 in a number of categories.  K'Andre Miller also was impressive.  Enjoy and discuss...

First, I enjoyed reading that so thanks.

But here's the Award Winner, I guess, for stupid questions:   What does any of that prove?     I guess it's supposed to be one of many things that go into a decision on a player rather than stand alone, so I guess.  But I think they should also have a Pinochle tournament.  I know we're only seeing the top in each, so I guess maybe it helps in a cumulative way.  Like "I'm interested in X player, so this was his total and range, etc. across the board, how does that measure against player Y."   I just wonder how much stock is put in these, because I think it could potentially be really over-exaggerated.   What do you think?

I think there is a reasonable amount consideration for the combine results and process.  GM's get a chance to talk to the kids one on one which can weed out some that are less motivated vs those that are committed to the process of improving to become a NHLer.  There is also a fair amount of focus on core strength, explosive speed etc too.

Last year Casey Mittelstadt dropped to 8th after a poor showing in the Combine, he was ranked as high as #3 prior to the combine.

6 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

First of all ... thanks for sharing.  Great article.  My take on these combine results is this .... it is but a snapshot of how athletically fit a particular player is.  I don't see any particular use in some of the skills as a correlation to how well they will perform on the ice.  Ok the stamina one could be useful but you get my drift. 

It would be nice to see them do some skills on the ice like the NFL does with the college players.  Some general skating skills such as general skating and back skating would be nice along with some stick handling skills.  I think those types of skills shown at a combine would be beneficial.

Just my two cents .......

2 hours ago, hf101 said:

GM's get a chance to talk to the kids one on one which can weed out some that are less motivated vs those that are committed to the process of improving to become a NHLer

I get the interview process.  And the cardiovascular stuff to an extent.  I'm just wondering what bench pressing necessarily has to do with anything.  I think some of the physical things at the NFL combine translate a little more directly.

14 hours ago, Podein25 said:

They need to come up with a "mental combine," which can test the hockey IQ of a player. 

I'm only mostly kidding. 

Flip a coin and have the player call it in the air.  If the player yells, "It's a quarter!" tell Voracek he's lucky he already has a job.

On 6/3/2018 at 4:03 PM, hf101 said:

I think there is a reasonable amount consideration for the combine results and process.  GM's get a chance to talk to the kids one on one which can weed out some that are less motivated vs those that are committed to the process of improving to become a NHLer.  There is also a fair amount of focus on core strength, explosive speed etc too.

Last year Casey Mittelstadt dropped to 8th after a poor showing in the Combine, he was ranked as high as #3 prior to the combine.

Kind of a similar thing happened with Sam Bennett, he hasn't really lived up to the hype.  Will Casey Mittlestadt?  Maybe, but as a HS coach that was surprising since I know most of my athletes could do that...and they're not nearly as gifted as he is.  As a coach, those tests do give me some ideas and if its a 50/50 between player X and player Y I might consider it.  

Athleticism IMO is an intangible.  Preparation is important.  Great athletes usually possess both.  IMO, its one thing if a guy does really well at a few of these tasks, but if they do well at a lot...then that catches my attention.  Because great athletes; can be shaped to be pretty special players.  Take for example Brent Burns.  Burns was drafted as a right wing, he had played defense before that and a big late growth spurt caused him to soar in the rankings which was partly why the Wild took him.  He wasn't the most refined player, but he was a fantastic athlete.  He's the kind of kid that could probably pick up any sport and just instantly be good at it.  But with more work; he was eventually put back on defense and started to hone his game with the 2004-05 lockout playing in the minors.  He eventually was a Norris Trophy winner.  I've always said Burns is a great athlete that plays hockey.  

Archived