Blues offseason primer

yave1964

See the source image

2017-18 FINAL RECORD 44-32-6 94 points one point out of a playoff spot.

The Blues added Brayden Schenn from the Flyers in hopes that he would be the long needed 1C to set up Taresenko. It worked out well early although he faded late he finished with a career high 70 points to lead the team. Taresenko and Schwartz combined with Schenn to give the Blues a very tough top line. Pietrangelo and Parayko gave the team a very skilled top two on the back end. Jake Allen was mediocre at times and bad at others but Carter Hutton picked up the slack and was a pleasant surprise.

On February 9th they beat the Jets to go to 34-20-3 and looked like a mortal lock to make the playoffs but they went into a serious tailspin throughout the rest of February, losing 9 of their next 10 and they dealt Stastny to the Jets at the deadline writing off the season. But they somehow managed to right the ship going 8-1-0 before the roller coaster went downhill again and they lost 5 of their last 6 including the final game of the year to Colorado to miss the playoffs by one point. Just a crazy as hell up and down then up then down again year.

TOP PROSPECTS: Tage Thompson a former first rounder got his first taste of NHL action appearing in 41 games and was okay, much more is to be expected next year. The hope is he slides into a middle six role.

Jordan Kyrou may be my sleeper candidate for the Calder if he makes the team out of camp, he is pure offense.

Some consider Klim Kostin who came over in the Ryan Reaves deal from Pittsburgh a prospect, I don't think he sticks.

Robert Thomas is a year or two away but may surprise if given a shot, a nice offensive winger.

Jordan Schmaltz is probably the teams best defensive prospect but he has been around the minors forever and really isn't much.

Last year the Blues had no AHL affiliate, a rarity for an NHL team, this year the plan is to rebuild the farm system.

FREE AGENTS

Carter Hutton was one of the main reasons the Blues were right there until the last game of the year and is an UFA and certain to get paid by someone. More than likely, unless they can trade Allen who makes 4.5 million a year it means Hutton is gone.

Brodziak and Upshall are the only other free agents. They will not be missed.

OFFSEASON QUESTION MARKS:

WHAT TO DO IN NET? Allen took forever to crack the team, win the starting job and has been hanging on by his fignernails for two years now. He has 3 years at 4 and a half million a year which for a starter is very reasonable but for a platoon goalie is excessive. I think the Blues would like to find a taker for Allen and resign Hutton but they likely will not find any takers. More than likely it will mean Allen teamed with an aging cheap veteran backup, I could see this as a soft landing spot for Cam Ward to push Allen. 

PAUL STASTNY SAYS HE WOULD BE INTERESTED IN RETURNING, SHOULD THEY RESIGN HIM? On the cheap short term? Sure, why not? If they fade trade him to Winnipeg for another draft pick, lol.

THIRTEEN MILLION IN CAP SPACE, WHAT DO THEY NEED?  They really aren't that bad, especially if Thompson steps up and Kyrou makes the team and is as good as I think he could be. Another defenseman but hey, join the crowd. They could make a run at Carlson from Washington possibly which if he signs makes them three deep with young talented blueliners. 

Really the Blues aren't in bad shape, a nip here, a tuck there they are a playoff team again.Goaltending is their biggest concern and has been since the days after Cujo. 

37 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Really the Blues aren't in bad shape, a nip here, a tuck there they are a playoff team again.Goaltending is their biggest concern and has been since the days after Cujo. 

Fair enough, but I don't want Armstrong to be the one doing it.   I think he's done a tragically bad job with this team.   He's almost single-handedly torpedoed them several different seasons.   And despite not being a huge Allen fan, I don't think Armstrong has actually helped his career.  

For the Blues to improve, I think there needs to be a front office change and a fresh, intelligent approach.

7 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Fair enough, but I don't want Armstrong to be the one doing it.   I think he's done a tragically bad job with this team.   He's almost single-handedly torpedoed them several different seasons.   And despite not being a huge Allen fan, I don't think Armstrong has actually helped his career.  

For the Blues to improve, I think there needs to be a front office change and a fresh, intelligent approach.

Agreed, completely agree about Armstrong, this was quite simply a playoff team and for them not to make it is nearly criminal. You cannot blame injuries or depth or lack of talent, they wound up one point short and instead of adding pieces they dealt Stastny away. Now I am not a huge Stastny fan but he is certainly worth one point in the standings over the last 15 games. He did make a great deal with the Flyers for Schenn and has shown creativity in moves in past years but frankly he has gone as far as he can and it is past time for him to move on.

Archived