Islanders are Instantly Tougher Opponent

Howie58

50 minutes ago, vis said:

Scott Stevens as a potential candidate?

I think the Isles will be better because Lou sets a high bar and tone within the organization.  Do I think that's enough to make real noise in the POs?  No.  But I do think they will be a better team next year.  He needs to address goaltending, though.  If he is able to do that, the Islanders will be another team that the Flyers will be fighting with  for a PO spot.

I think he will by trading for Schneider at the draft.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think he will by trading for Schneider at the draft.

Possibly.  He did have a rough go in NJ this year.

1 hour ago, vis said:

If he is able to do that, the Islanders will be another team that the Flyers will be fighting with  for a PO spot.

Yeah, goalie alone solves a lot of their issues.   I want to see some improvement on the defense, too, but the goalie gets them 10-15 more points, I think.

I'm not convinced that Tavares is the saving grace of the Islanders. I really think that the Islanders go where Barzal takes them. I can see Lamorello building the franchise around Barzal. The biggest issue, besides goaltending, is that New York does not have a legitimate number one defenseman. That's killing them more than anything else. I expect Lou's first move is to put together a package and get that elusive number one guy. Once he gets that, then you'll see everything else fall into place. As for Tavares, I think Lou deals his rights to a club that can sign JT. 

21 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I expect Lou's first move is to put together a package and get that elusive number one guy.

Wonder if they go hard after Doughty or Karlsson??

It is harder to find that stud #1 Dman than a top line center i think. It will cost him big if he tries and trade for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Short-term, losing Tavares hurts but LL probably has some tricks us his sleeve. Candidly, I don't see JT worth 11 million a year. I think the Leafs may have overdone it. 

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

On the bright side two years of Filpulla should ease the loss of JT 😁

Seriously, though, their goaltending should help their pain...oh wait.🤪

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Dumbass Isles should of traded him there and they could have got some of their young forwards in return instead of being left empty handed.

This was a hot topic on NHL Radio yesterday. Some blamed Snow for listening too long, others blamed Lou for not being a good salesperson. I think Snow should have pulled the trigger but what can we say.  If nothing else, they have cap space.

I have to agree with some observers that this acquisition makes Simmonds more "expendable."  I am wondering if Ron has had offers.  Unless Simmonds takes a hometown discount, we seem to have set his salary at 6-7 million dollars.  That's an interesting benefit-cost proposition for the brass.   

19 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Some blamed Snow for listening too long

It's true...at the end of the day in these talks you have an obligation to the club to know where you stand.

It's either you are going to resign him or not and you need to get something for him in return. It's a business.

Ron Hextall is in the same boat with Simmer and he knows he can't let a talent like him just walk and leave the Flyers without something in returns for him.

So i think you'll see Ron be proactive when he knows for certain what is going to go down.

It's like right now he may know they can work something out or he already has a plan to move him and waiting for that time.

37 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

You realize dude is going to have a hat trick against the Flyers the first time he plays them....#exflyersalwaysscore

5 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Sometimes I'm really sad there isn't a "OMFG That's funny!"  reputation thing.

That was good.

Filppula and Komarov are clearly bottom six signings. I think Komarov will rebound though. I don't think 20 goals is out of the question. Filppula will be a bomb though. T that was desperation. With that being said, it's not as if the Islanders are hard done by. Barzal is there and becomes the number one center. There's still his life Eberle, Lee, Beauvillier, Bailey and I think Trotz will get Brock Nelson back on track. As well, if Trotz can get through to Ho-Sang ( remember people thought he wouldn't get through to Oven Chicken) then that's also a big boost. That's seven players to build offense around. Don't forget that there is Nick Leddy and Ryan Pulock on the back end too. The only position of need is goaltender, but with Trotz being there, the defense will get fixed and that should mean some easier nights for Thomas Greiss. 

I don't think they're going to be as bad ad they're being made our to be. 

Isles lose the face of the franchise in Tavares and likely a tough defenseman in De Haan as well, replaced with:

Matt Martin

Leo Komarov

Robin Lehner

Val Filpulla

Yep. Sounds like the Islanders.

Oh and I forgot they signed Kuhnhackl late of the Penguins. Between Clusterbuck, Mooseknuckle, Cizikas, Martin, Komarov, Filpulla, Shane Prince and Ross Johnston the Isles have the largest collection of 4th liners this side of Vancouver.

"Everyone always says the fourth line needs to be the toughest on your team for others to play against," says new GM Lou Lamoriello who looks like he knew where Jimmy Hoffa was buried, two years before Hoffa even died. "With Tavares moving on we have decided that the best way for us to ice a team is to play four separate fourth lines. Accordingly, we are listening to offers now for Barzal because he is due for free agency in 2023 and we are looking to move him for someone to center our fourth fourth line and maybe a goalie to compliment Lehner."

This thread's existence cracks me the hell up.  Is there even going to be an Islanders by the time they might be good again?

They are trying to tank to get the #1 next year and that's all there is to it.  Then they can screw up his contracts and roster mates for 5 years until he goes UFA to Toronto too.

I have friends who are Islanders fans and if it wasn't for 1980, I'd feel bad for them.

Archived