Official HF.net 2018 Mock NHL Draft Order

pilldoc

Here is the official order for the  HF.net 2018 Mock NHL Draft.  Please be aware that some members will be picking twice (2)  or three (3) times.  Also if a team such as the Flyers, has multiple picks for the first round, then the member will pick for the same team later in the round.  (Ex. @ruxpin will pick twice for the Flyers at the 14th and 19th pick)

Here are the rules:

1. The draft window will be about 6-8 hours. (of course, there will be flexibility but try to stay on schedule possible).  We do allow and understand tolerances for work schedules and family events. 
  2. Try to make the pick as realistic as possible. (Don't purposely let a Dahlin or Svechnikov drop to #24 or #25. There of course, will be some surprise drops)
  3. There are NO TRADES. (we all know trades can happen, but it is too complicated for all parties involved)
  4. @hf101 and @pilldoc will try to have a running draft order on the HF..net Draft page so everyone knows who has been picked.  A sidebar table will also be visible on the Activity Page.  I will also list it below.
  5. After you have made your selection, please use the @(mention members name) function to notify the next person on the draft order that they are now the clock.
  6. Have fun with it.  Remember there is no right or wrong answer here.  If you disagree with someone's pick then discuss it and make a case why you think the pick is not in the best interest of that team.
  7. Please use this thread exclusively for your picks and discussion.
  8. When making your selection, please include a GM or scout-like quote about that player and stating why you selected him. Videos are also nice to add to your write-up.

Draft # NHL Team  HF.net Member
1 Buffalo Sabres @Hockey Junkie
2 Carolina Hurricanes @AJgoal
3 Montreal Canadiens @CreaseAndAssist
4 Ottawa Senators @BobbyClarkeFan16
5 Arizona Coyotes @hf101
6 Detroit Red Wings @yave1964
7 Vancouver Canucks @pilldoc
8 Chicago Blackhawks @jammer2
9 New York Rangers @bbgarnett
10 Edmonton Oilers @FD19372
11 New York Islanders @hobie
12 New York Islanders (from Calgary) - 1 @hobie
13 Dallas Stars @Davey J
14 Philadelphia Flyers (from St. Louis) - 2 @ruxpin
15 Florida Panthers @yave1964
16 Colorado Avalanche @ruxpin
17 New Jersey Devils @pilldoc
18 Columbus Blue Jackets @More Hockey Stats
19 Philadelphia Flyers @ruxpin
20 Los Angeles Kings @thenewestlights
21 San Jose Sharks @More Hockey Stats
22 Ottawa Senators (from Pittsburgh) - 3 @BobbyClarkeFan16
23 Anaheim Ducks @hf101
24 Minnesota Wild @CreaseAndAssist
25 Toronto Maple Leafs @hobie
26 New York Rangers (from Boston) - 4 @bbgarnett
27 Chicago Blackhawks (from Nashville) - 5 @jammer2
28 New York Rangers (from Tampa Bay) - 6 @bbgarnett
29 St. Louis Blues (from Winnipeg) - 7 @AJgoal
30 Detroit Red Wings (from Vegas) - 8 @yave1964
31 Washington Capitals @FD19372

Notes
  1. The Calgary Flames' first-round pick will go to the New York Islanders as the result of a trade on June 24, 2017 that sent Travis Hamonic and a conditional fourth-round pick in 2019 to Calgary in exchange for a second-round pick in 2018, a conditional second-round pick in 2019 and this pick.[8]
  2. The St. Louis Blues' first-round pick will go to the Philadelphia Flyers as the result of a trade on June 23, 2017 that sent Brayden Schenn to St. Louis in exchange for Jori Lehtera, Washington's first-round pick in 2017 and this pick (being conditional at the time of the trade).[9] The condition – Philadelphia will receive a first-round pick in 2018 if the Blues' first-round pick is outside of the top ten selections[10] – was converted on April 28, 2018.
  3. The Pittsburgh Penguins' first-round pick will go to the Ottawa Senators as the result of a trade on February 23, 2018 that sent Vincent Dunn and a third-round pick in 2018 to Pittsburgh in exchange for Ian Cole, Filip Gustavsson and this pick.[11]
  4. The Boston Bruins' first-round pick will go to the New York Rangers as the result of a trade on February 25, 2018 that sent Rick Nash to Boston in exchange for Ryan Spooner, Matt Beleskey, Ryan Lindgren, a seventh-round pick in 2019 and this pick.[12]
  5. The Nashville Predators' first-round pick will go to the Chicago Blackhawks as the result of a trade on February 26, 2018 that sent Ryan Hartman and a fifth-round pick in 2018 to Nashville in exchange for Victor Ejdsell, a fourth-round pick in 2018 and this pick.[13]
  6. The Tampa Bay Lightning's first-round pick will go to the New York Rangers as the result of a trade on February 26, 2018 that sent Ryan McDonagh and J.T. Miller to Tampa Bay in exchange for Vladislav Namestnikov, Libor Hajek, Brett Howden, a conditional first-round pick in 2019 and this pick.[14]
  7. The Winnipeg Jets' first-round pick will go to the St. Louis Blues as the result of a trade on February 26, 2018 that sent Paul Stastny to Winnipeg in exchange for Erik Foley, a conditional fourth-round pick in 2020 and this pick (being conditional at the time of the trade).[15] The condition – St. Louis will receive a first-round pick in 2018 if the Jets' first-round pick in 2018 is outside of the top three selections[15] – was converted when the Jets qualified for the 2018 Stanley Cup playoffs on March 25, 2018.[16]
  8. The Vegas Golden Knights' first-round pick will go to the Detroit Red Wings as the result of a trade on February 26, 2018 that sent Tomas Tatar to Vegas in exchange for the Islanders' second-round pick in 2019, a third-round pick in 2021 and this pick.[17]

Thank You for your participation.  We had a blast last year and I expect nothing different this year.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

~doc

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it is ok with everybody, we can start either tonight or tomorrow morning.  With that being said ....

@Hockey Junkie you and the Buffalo Sabres are now on the clock with the 1st overall pick in the 2018 HF.net NHL Mock Draft. :)

13 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

If it is ok with everybody, we can start either tonight or tomorrow morning.  With that being said ....

@Hockey Junkie you and the Buffalo Sabres are now on the clock with the 1st overall pick in the 2018 HF.net NHL Mock Draft. :)

Oh crap. Tonight or tomorrow? You're not playing! 

5 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

do we really need to wait on junkie? we all know who he is gonna take...…...Ryan Miller

I thought it was Eichel??   ........ oh wait ... that was 2 years ago! LOL

15 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

When's the draft? 

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

We can start either tonight or tomorrow.  I mentioned to @Hockey Junkie that he is now on the clock.  It is a running draft via the thread., like last year. 

So, I have both the Hawks picks, eh? The #8 pick will be a lot easier than their later 1st. Even the early one is tough, if you believe that the Hawks will be in full rebuild mode....and I do think that will be the case. You hear all the rumors about trading Toews, which just a few years ago would have been unthinkable. The reality is, a rebuilding team can't support two mega contracts like Toews and Kane currently own. It just does not make sense. 

If they were to trade Toews, does center become a serious need?  I wonder, if they had Hayton rated around 10 or 11, but in the same ballpark as the 8th rated guy on their board, does need meet the best player available? Of course, Hayton will not help next season, but he is probably the best all round forward, which leads me to believe he arrives for the 19-20 season......and could easily slide in at 3C, and start his ascension up the roster from that point. I don't think he's gonna be a legit 1C, but 2C is not only possible, it's probable. Just some stuff I will have to ponder going forward. 

ATTENTION... PLEASE TAKE NOTE:

We have a slight tweak to the Draft Order.  We had a late addition after the Draft Order was posted.

---->   Now picking at #3 Montreal Canadiens is @habsguy26 (thank you @CreaseAndAssist for giving up your spot and allowing our Habs fan to pick)

---->   Now picking at #7 Vancouver Canucks is @CreaseAndAssist (I am giving up my spot to allow CreaseAndAssist to draft for a 2nd team)

The Draft is now open!

@Hockey Junkie  You are still on the clock .........

Please draft Dahlin so the rest of the draft may proceed. 

thanks

~doc

35 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

The reality is, a rebuilding team can't support two mega contracts like Toews and Kane currently own. It just does not make sense. 

Many of us on here dropped our jaws when the contract for Toews and Kane were announced.  Those behemoth  contracts eventually were going to hinder the Hawks and we saw the beginnings of that during the past 2 years.  If Crawford comes back healthy, I think they are good for 1 more run, if not ....then it will be some serious questions regarding the make up of their roster.

Many of us on here dropped our jaws when the contract for Toews and Kane were announced.  Those behemoth  contracts eventually were going to hinder the Hawks and we saw the beginnings of that during the past 2 years.  If Crawford comes back healthy, I think they are good for 1 more run, if not ....then it will be some serious questions regarding the make up of their roster.

They might make the playoffs, but I don't see the depth necessary for a long run. Easy to look back in retrospect, but Kane and Panarin were just magic together. Losing that connection was a death blow to that offense. Saad is a decent player, but not nearly as fast, creative or smart as Panarin was. 

If I was the Chicago GM, I would deal Toews, Crawford and Kieth and jumpstart the rebuild into SERIOUS overdrive. 

3 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Easy to look back in retrospect, but Kane and Panarin were just magic together.

You're being generous with the "in retrospect."   It was insanely stupid when that trade happened and you said as much at the time.

Oddly, I think it was equally damaging on the Jackets' side--that part may be more "in retrospect."   Possibly the best example of a lose-lose trade I can think of.

I'm wondering if the :oilers: are gonna end up in a similar position but be in

rebuilding mode with McDavid and Draisaitl still on the bank-straining payroll--

for years to come. Perhaps last year was a fluke. :searching: They better hope so. 

Maybe they'll be able to use some kind of

Yelp.com or NHL.com draft coupon :) 

to secure a talent who matures rapidly.  

Everyone, I'm going to be going away today for the day. My wife and I are renovating our house right now and we have to go to pick up materials, as well as our kid who is staying with his grandparents. I'm probably not going to be back until 9pm or after. I will have my cell phone with me, so please send me a PM as I have everything linked to my e-mail and I can respond. Thanks.

22 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I am ready!!!! The Etroit Re Wings are prepped with our spread sheet!  Not a typo, I spell it that way because they have no D

:hehe: Yave: I appreciate your commitment to full disclosure about "Etroit" despite 

their being your team! You've got principle! :D Hopefully any D in your draft 

will put the D back into D-Town. :56ce4e56dc2e8_HighFiveSmileys: 

Archived