Official HF.net 2018 Mock NHL Draft Order

pilldoc

@bbgarnett, I think you (or the Rangers) dodged a bullet that Merkley isn't there.  It actually makes a little sense for Toronto, but it's a hefty risk for a team that badly needs defense.  I'm willing to bet Hobie scores a match with the actual draft. I bet Toronto actually does take him.

McLeod was originally ranked a bit higher. I think he's a pretty good value pick at 26. It's the type of pick the Rangers need. 

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ruxpin at this point I think any pick is the type of pick the Rangers need I mean they could literally draft Doug "The Thug" Glatt and they'd be happy just to have another warm body. Anyways I do agree that he's good value at 26 but could easily see the Sharks take him at 21 so was happy to have him here in the mock draft. Anyways with Mcleod he has the size and Speed combo that I think a lot of players lack usually it seems like it's one or the other but here he seems to have both. While yes he may not be the most flashy guy he has got the work ethic on both ends of the game that I think will help him be a mainstay in the league. To me he seems to be very similar to Mikko Koivu and while I am not a fan at all of Koivu that's more because he's very slow hence why we call him Captain Clydesdale and he has very little leadership skills yet he's our Captain. Mcleod though has the Size/ Speed and to me seems more well built than Koivu which only further helps him along and while he may not reach the megastar status of a Mcdavid or Dahlin, the fact of the matter is I still think he could get there. But even if he doesn't he still fills a great role on any team especially the Rangers who could benefit from a player with a little girth to him.

10 minutes ago, bbgarnett said:

at this point I think any pick is the type of pick the Rangers need I mean they could literally draft Doug "The Thug" Glatt and they'd be happy just to have another warm bod

That made me laugh.  It's funny because it's true.   

Yeah, I don't envision McLeod being a 1C, but Zibby isn't really a 1C either so anything is possible.   "Captain Clydesdale" made me chuckle, too.   I hadn't heard that one. 

Like you said, though, they need an injection of youth and a lot of it, so three first round picks is a good start.

21 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I think DeBruske and Shenyshen were ranked late 1st round....but Zboril, was ranked in the 3rd and is looking every bit the part of a 1st rounder. Debrusk had a great rookie year and I can guar-an-damn-tee that the Russian kid from the Sault Shenyshen (spelling it wrong ...lol) is a star, wicked speed, shot, a pure stud. 

Born and raised in Ottawa...Senyshyn

10 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

With the 24th Overall selection in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft, the Minnesota Wild is proud to select, from the U.S. National Development team K'Andre Miller!  

K'Andre Miller is a defenseman combines size with tremendous athleticism.  He had an absolutely fantastic NHL combine, finishing in the top 10 in a number of categories.  The University of Wisconsin commit, plays an aggressive game and doesn't mind throwing his weight around and using his long reach to funnel opposing forwards to the perimeter.  He is a decent passer and has reasonable offensive skills, but he's probably going to be more of a shutdown defender because of his combination of reach and terrific skating ability.  He only recently converted to defense after being a forward throughout most of his bantam and HS years, but coaches give him a lot of credit for being able to learn quickly and his improvement has been steady and impressive.  

From ISS: "Miller has all of the physical tools needed to intrigue NHL scouts.  He's big, he's strong and physical with a long reach.. He projects as a stay-at-home shutdown defender."

From ISS: "Big strong body.  Good mobility, good power output in his skating.  Uses edgework to keep gap, forces puck carrier to make decision at the red line.  Good in corners, can outmuscle most, would like to see him assert himself more physically."  

Hockey News Compares him to:  Seth Jones

Future Considerations: #20

Hockey News: #26

ISS: #32

HockeyProspect.com: #20

Central Scouting (NA Skaters): #23

McKeen's: #14

You can read more about Miller's game here.  

Entering the draft, would calling him a "poor man's Darnell Nurse" be accurate?  Also, if he was a RHD, how much higher do you think he would get drafted?

OK....when in doubt....go to the OHL!!   The Hawks are SO weak at Center, I'm going right back there, double dipping. With the 27th pick, the Black Hawks proudly select...Akil Thomas. A tad light, but tons of vision and skill. Like the way he goes to the dirty areas, despite being a bit of a light weight. Like this kid a LOT. 

With the 28th pick in the draft the New York Rangers are Proud to Select RW Dominik Bokk Växjö Lakers HC/SHL

NHL Central Scouting Final: 12th (European)

Future Considerations: 33rd

ISS Hockey: 28th

McKeen’s Hockey: 31st

hockeyprospect.com: 21st

If you’re a hopeful prospect waiting for your chance to prove yourself at the next level, drawing comparisons to Edmonton’s Leon Draisaitl is a great position for you to be in. That’s where German-born winger Dominik Bokk finds himself these days.

Bokk is one of the most interesting prospects in this entire draft because of everything he brings to the table. He could be the best prospect to come from Germany since Draisaitl. Although Bokk is a winger while Draisaitl can play both center & wing, the offensive comparisons are easy to see.

Want to see an elite skill set on display? Watch the tape on Bokk. In viewing the tape of a couple of his games in Sweden this season, he was perhaps one of my favorite prospects to watch in 2017-18. It just felt like something dynamic was about to happen. You usually find him racing down the right side with the puck. But the way he can handle the puck and make quick decisions at a high rate of speed is just magical to watch. Then if you play the pass, he has an NHL shot that goalies must respect.

So what else do we have in Bokk? We have someone who isn’t afraid to make something big happen with the puck on his stick. He has some of the quickest and best hands in this draft. He’s smart and can make the right read when a play is developing. In terms of pure offensive ability, few if any have more upside than Bokk. With all that said, Bokk is one of the most intriguing offensive prospects available in this draft. He won’t fall too far before someone realizes how big his upside is.

@AJgoal and the Blues are OTC

2 hours ago, Davey J said:

Entering the draft, would calling him a "poor man's Darnell Nurse" be accurate?  Also, if he was a RHD, how much higher do you think he would get drafted?

I think he'd be 10-15 in the draft if he were a right hand shot.  Darnell Nurse is a reasonable comparison for now.  I think Miller reminds me a lot of Brent Burns.  Raw, athletic player who is learning / improving fast.  

With the 29th pick in the 2018 NHL draft, the St. Louis Blues are proud to select, from the Saulte Ste. Marie Greyhounds, Defenseman Rasmus Sandin. 

Position: Defense

Height: 5'11

Weight: 190lbs

Shoots: L

Sandin is a mobile defenseman who skates well and makes a good first pass. While he lacks top-end speed, his agility and ability to move backwards are very good. He has a quick, accurate shot. and likes to sneak down into vacant portions of the ice, rather than blast away from the point. 

His IQ is very high, and he reads the play well. He is not afraid to use the body, and has very good defensive instincts. 

The Detroit Red Wings and @yave1964 are now on the clock.

Ken Holland is shaken awake by Chris Chelios, Hollands chin is down on his chest, his tie hangs in his soup. Cheli uses a napkin to clean him with a look of embarrassment as Ron Hextall sits a few tables away with a smug look and mutters, "I am finally even with you Chelios, I have a real job, you are a male nurse to an incontinent guy who the game has passed him by." And chuckles to himself. Chelios finally gives up on waiting for Holland when Kenny starts telling Chelios that he just traded for him to be the missing piece for the 1999 cup defense, apparently getting not only the year but the decade confused. Cheli waits for Holland to drift back off and goes to the podium.

"with our second pick of the first round, the Detroit Red Wings select left handed defenseman Jared McIsaac of Halifax (QmJHL)." As McIsaac mounts the podium to shake his hand, Holland is awakened by the applause and goes in search of Jett Woo to shake his hand and welcome him to the Wings.

McIsaac here is a no brainer, everything I have read has him late teens, early twenties, projecting as a hard hitting puck mover with skill, he probably slipped due to concerns about speed which 

may be legit but a hard hitting defensively responsible kid with a good crisp first pass is what the Wings need.

As Chelios comes back to the table Holland with a look of confusion asks him where the Wings got a second first rounder from. "The Vegas Knights." Cheli saiys patiently as Holland laughs.

"A team in Vegas," Holland chuckles as his chin drops back to his chest and his tie settles invariably back into his soup, "Commissioner John Zeigler would never allow that. Next thing I know you are gonna tell me that there are teams in Florida and Phoenix." he smiles to himself, passes stale musty gas and drifts back off as Chelios considers updating his resume and sending it to every GM in the league including Hextall. 

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Is there really a difference?   

Well you could be born in Ottawa and raised in Borneo...doubt you'd get drafted by the Bruins.

You'd likely not be the goal scorer Senyshyn is....but you'd probably shrink a mean head!

Archived