Official HF.net 2018 Mock NHL Draft Order

pilldoc

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

The Russian collusion investigation regarding the Cup will begin shortly.

LOL ....oustanding!  Nicely played and well done!  :toast:

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

With the 14th overall pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft, the Philadelphia Flyers welcome Vitali Kravtsov to the City of Brotherly Love!

You know ... I kind of really like this pick.  Agree about both the points of Kupari and Farabee.  I have read somewhere that Kravtsov also favorably compared to a Anze Kopitar type player.

Poor Ed must be turning around in his grave with all these Russians .... my have times changed in Flyerland .....

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Just to let everyone know, I gave up an hour of sleep before my back to back 12's to make this pick.....because that is what grown men do when they make a commitment. Your word has to be good for something? right?

:rock: 

The Nordgren selection is a real puzzler, for me, so I'm curious why HouseOfLannister chose him. Was it the scouting reports or frequent viewing?

I see he's 5'9", 169 lbs according to HockeyDB and his stats on HockeyDB is 15 gp, 0g, 3a while playing for Helsinki in the SM-liiga league.

This choice was really way out there so I thought of 2 choices from the past that were maybe as way out there, Mark Jankowski and Thomas Hickey. These 2 were picked a lot higher than they were rated but they were on the radar.

5 minutes ago, hobie said:

so I'm curious why HouseOfLannister chose him

A roll of 2 20-sided dice with the the results added together, add 10 and look at the projected draft order.   17 on one die and an 18 on the other.  Add 10 = 45.   Look at the draft order, #45 is Nordgren.  Voila!  There's your pick.

Hey, if it's good enough for Chiarelli, it's good enough for our humble forum!

6 minutes ago, hobie said:

This choice was really way out there so I thought of 2 choices from the past that were maybe as way out there, Mark Jankowski and Thomas Hickey. These 2 were picked a lot higher than they were rated but they were on the radar.

I was talking to a co-worker today who played hockey with Ed Jovanovski.  Jovanovski never played hockey until he was 14 years of age and went #1 in 1994.

14 minutes ago, hobie said:

2 choices from the past that were maybe as way out there, Mark Jankowski and Thomas Hickey.

I actually like Jankowski.   At #21 in a not really strong draft, I'm okay with him.   But what was Lombardi thinking with Thomas HIckey!?!?!

34 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

A roll of 2 20-sided dice with the the results added together, add 10 and look at the projected draft order.   17 on one die and an 18 on the other.  Add 10 = 45.   Look at the draft order, #45 is Nordgren.  Voila!  There's your pick.

Hey, if it's good enough for Chiarelli, it's good enough for our humble forum!

Oh is someone going to play D&D or Magic: the Gathering later?  

19 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Oh is someone going to play D&D or Magic: the Gathering later?  

Haven't played D&D since high school (won't say how long ago that is!), but it seemed like a pretty scientific way to go about it. 

I not questioning why an NHL team goes off board to make a draft choice, I'm simply wondering what would lead a forum member, a fan to do so?

It looks like Jankowski is an NHL player and Hickey has played 409 games in the NHL 

25 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Haven't played D&D since high school (won't say how long ago that is!), but it seemed like a pretty scientific way to go about it. 

Easy there dungeonmaster...I've never played it myself.  Still play Magic...24 years now and counting.  I have more than enough D-20's for everyone.  

16 minutes ago, hobie said:

I not questioning why an NHL team goes off board to make a draft choice, I'm simply wondering what would lead a forum member, a fan to do so?

It looks like Jankowski is an NHL player and Hickey has played 409 games in the NHL 

A hunch...or maybe they've watched them play in some capacity, or they just want to go against the grain because why the hell not?!?!

My apologies, sleep called, just got caught up on picks 11-15. 

The Florida Panthers are in an interesting position with no true glaring need that needs addressed as pretty much anyone you would want to keep is signed long term favorable deals. So I am able to draft what to me, is the best available.

JOSEPH VELENO, CENTRE FROM THE QMJHL 

What is not to like? A big kid, the drafts best true center who can play up and down the lines and projects as a Trocheck type he will fit in perfectly with the up and coming Panthers group. Vision, speed at worst he is a 3C with nice crisp passes, at best he is a solid number 2 or a low end number one. Panthers thrilled beyond thrilled to add him here. 

@ruxpin you and the Colorado Avalanche are now on the clock.

10 hours ago, hf101 said:

Well a few years ago Boston chose off the board picks with Jakub Zboril, Jake DeBrusk, and Zachary-Senyshy.  DeBrusk did quite well this year...

I think DeBruske and Shenyshen were ranked late 1st round....but Zboril, was ranked in the 3rd and is looking every bit the part of a 1st rounder. Debrusk had a great rookie year and I can guar-an-damn-tee that the Russian kid from the Sault Shenyshen (spelling it wrong ...lol) is a star, wicked speed, shot, a pure stud. 

3 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I think DeBruske and Shenyshen were ranked late 1st round....but Zboril, was ranked in the 3rd and is looking every bit the part of a 1st rounder. Debrusk had a great rookie year and I can guar-an-damn-tee that the Russian kid from the Sault Shenyshen (spelling it wrong ...lol) is a star, wicked speed, shot, a pure stud. 

Yeah, but literally right behind those three who went back to back to back, Barzal was the very next pick, followed by Kyle Connor, a few picks later Boeser an Konecny went off the board.

so can you imagine the Bruins with Barzal, Boeser and Connor/Konecny? I don't care that Debrusk had a good year, he is not now and never will be Barzal. Any two of Boeser/Konecny/Connor are miles ahead of Senyshin andZboril. Hands down every day and twice on Sunday. Just poor drafting by the Bruins, if they had wanted Zboril they could have taken him later in the draft, Debrusk is a middle six forward on the best day of his life and the jury is very much out on Senyshin. It is indefensible. Proper use of the three picks would have changed the balance of power in the East for a decade.

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

My apologies, sleep called, just got caught up on picks 11-15. 

The Florida Panthers are in an interesting position with no true glaring need that needs addressed as pretty much anyone you would want to keep is signed long term favorable deals. So I am able to draft what to me, is the best available.

JOSEPH VELENO, CENTRE FROM THE QMJHL 

What is not to like? A big kid, the drafts best true center who can play up and down the lines and projects as a Trocheck type he will fit in perfectly with the up and coming Panthers group. Vision, speed at worst he is a 3C with nice crisp passes, at best he is a solid number 2 or a low end number one. Panthers thrilled beyond thrilled to add him here. 

@ruxpin you and the Colorado Avalanche are now on the clock.

(sigh)  This kid reminds me of Kyle Chipchura...hyped...and the production from junior didn't translate to the NHL.  

With the #16 pick in the NHL Entry Draft, the Colorado Avalanche pick, from the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, centerman Barrett Hayton

Okay, so once again I took a long look at Farabee and this time at Martin Kaut.   The Avalanche need help all over in their system.   Since he was named to his current position in May 2013, Joe Sakic has been in charge of 5 drafts.   The Avalanche have made a total of 34 picks.  5 have been centermen, 5 LW, 5 RW, 15 D, and 4 G.   They have drafted exactly one center in each of the drafts with three of them being first round picks.    

I was really thinking leftwing since they didn't draft any at all last year with any of their 7 picks, but that was to make up for 2 LW the year before and no RWs.   Their depth chart is ultimately most shallow at center.

Along with the QMJHL, the Avalanche most often pick from the OHL (6 times each of the 34 picks), though this would be the first time drafting from the OHL in the first round (in the 5 drafts, they've never drafted from the same league twice in the first round, so this is the 6th different league represented by first round picks) so at #16 they grab their center for the year.

Barrett Hayton Scouting Report

Centre/Left Wing — shoots Left
Born June 9th, 2000 — Peterborough, Ontario
Height 6’1″ — Weight 191 lbs [185 cm / 87 kg]

Skating

Hayton is a very good skater. His top end speed and acceleration are both good. He has very good edgework and agility and maneuvers well through traffic both with and without the puck. Hayon’s stride is long and powerful. He has good lower-body strength, and is tough to knock off the puck. Hayton can fight through checks and get to the net. He will get even better as he adds more muscle to his frame.

Offensive Game

Hayton has a heavy shot and a good release. A big reason for his increased goal scoring this year has been his ability to get into the right spots and use that wrist shot more often. He has also improved his accuracy but can still stand to get better in this area. His slap shot needs some work though, as it lacks power and his wind-up is very big. Hayton is not afraid to get to the front of the net. Once he gets there, he battles hard for position and has the soft hands to finish plays in tight. Hayton scores on tip-ins, quick one-timers and by quickly pouncing on rebounds.

Hayton plays a straightforward game. He protects the puck well on the cycle and has some soft hands. However, he is not the type of forward to dangle a defenceman and get past him in a one-on-one situation. Instead, Hayton looks to keep the puck moving, find the open man, and then get it to the net. He is a smart player, who makes quick, smart plays with the puck on his stick. He is also good on the forecheck. While he does not lay a lot of big hits, he gets in quickly, pressuring defenders and creating turnovers.

Defensive Game

Defensively Hayton backchecks hard and shows good positioning. He provides solid back pressure and puck support, helping his defence. He battles hard on the boards, containing his man down low, and keeping him from getting to the front of the net. Hayton shows a good stick and cuts down passing lanes. He keeps himself between the puck and the net and is not afraid to block shots. Overall his defensive game is advanced for a 17-year old.

Projection and Comparison

Hayton should be back in Sault Ste. Marie next year, and will be given an even bigger role on the club. The Greyhounds will see quite a bit of turnover, and he will be a key leader for the squad. Expect to see him given the role of playing against the other team’s top lines, while also bringing offence. Hayton’s potential at the NHL level is similar, but he has some work to do to get there. When he is on his game, Hayton is great. However, he must work on his consistency, as he can disappear at times. When all goes well his game resembles Patrice Bergeron. However this is not a skills comparison, but just one based on style.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/04/12/barrett-hayton-scouting-report-2018-nhl-draft/

@pilldoc, you and the New Jersey Devils have the podium.   Be kind. Rewind.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Yeah, but literally right behind those three who went back to back to back, Barzal was the very next pick, followed by Kyle Connor, a few picks later Boeser an Konecny went off the board.

so can you imagine the Bruins with Barzal, Boeser and Connor/Konecny? I don't care that Debrusk had a good year, he is not now and never will be Barzal. Any two of Boeser/Konecny/Connor are miles ahead of Senyshin andZboril. Hands down every day and twice on Sunday. Just poor drafting by the Bruins, if they had wanted Zboril they could have taken him later in the draft, Debrusk is a middle six forward on the best day of his life and the jury is very much out on Senyshin. It is indefensible. Proper use of the three picks would have changed the balance of power in the East for a decade.

Ahhh, was going to throw in that Barzal stuff, then ZING, forgot it totally. Yeah, those are some real solid and talented players they passed on. I still think Senyshin is a star, but time will tell. 

55 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

(sigh)  This kid reminds me of Kyle Chipchura...hyped...and the production from junior didn't translate to the NHL.  

I see him as a bit of a safe pick, worst case 40 point a year solid defensively third liner, with a chance at being a very good second liner. Definitely not a hidden star but the Panthers do not need a star down the middle with Vinnie and Barkov both signed long term. If he is a solid third line center behind those two in a few years he is a great fit. 

Chipchura. Ugh. I remember that era, when the Habs were simply burning through the first rounders, Chipper, Louis Leblanc, Danny Kristo, Jarred Tinordi. Of course it hasn't gotten much better in recent years with guys like Chucky, McCarron and Sherbek. Juulsen might be a player if he can quit getting hurt,. Of course the best first rounder in since MaxPax and Price was Sergachev who they promptly donated to Tampa......

With time ticking down, Ray Shero, GM for the New Jersey Devils finally makes his way across the stage towards the podium.  With a mixed chorus of boos and cheers, Gary Bettman steps aside.

Clearing his throat, Shero proceeds…..

“First of all I would like to thank the entire NJ Devil fan base, all 500 of you, for invading the great state of Texas.  We would too, would like to congratulate the Washington Capitals and all their fair weather fans for finally winning the Cup.  Finally but certainly not least, the entire New Jersey Devil organization would like to thank the Buffalo Sabre organization for finally winning the lottery.  Like they say, the third time is always a charm……”  (eruption of laughter fills the arena)

He then hands the podium over to the special guest he brought along…that great NJ Devil goalie Martin Brodeur….. 

Brodeur then begins his announcement…..

“In honor of the 15th year anniversary of the New Jersey Devils winning the Stanley Cup, I would like to announce with the 17th pick of this year 2018 NHL Draft, the New Jersey Devils would like to welcome from the USA-U18, NTDP Team, Joel Farabee, LW.”

After much debate between Martin Kaut and Joel Farabee, the Devils are ecstatic that a potential top 10 player has landed to them at #17.

Undeterred by the fact that Farabee has committed to Boston Univ. next year, the Devils feel they have a “dangerous and prolific scorer amongst his age group, where he helped Team USA win a gold medal at the Under-18 World Championships in 2017 where he also recorded six points (3g-3a) in seven games, including two goals in the gold medal game. Blessed with top level skating ability and a mind for creating offense, the New York native can also be trusted in his own zone which facilitates further opportunities from the coaching staff." (Dobber Hockey)

As captain of the team, he finished second on the US Under-18 team in goals (33), assists (43) and points (76) in 62 games last season.

So what do we get in Farabee now? We have a player who is one of the best skaters in the draft and uses that to create offense. He uses his speed to burn past defenders and then he uses his pro shot in a variety of ways. He is surprisingly effective around the net for someone of his stature. His fearlessness and work ethic make him a load to handle in the offensive zone.

What sets Farabee apart is how effective he is defensively. He uses his smarts to put himself in position to intercept passes and break up plays. Once he gets the puck on his stick, he’s excellent at transition offense. He’s one of the best 200-foot players at the top of the draft. (The Hockey Writers)

Farabee has excelled on the top line where he has a lethal shot and excels in and around the net.  He has the offensive talent to eventually assume a role at the next level as a top-six forward.

“Farabee is a very high-energy, big–effort player with skill…he never stops moving his feet or finding ways to try to be a factor on the ice…has jersey-flapping speed…his ability to change pace is impressive and allows him to stay elusive…possesses good puck control, and has a dogged willingness to take the puck to the net…has creative hands and can pull a skilled one-on-one move to gain space…moves the puck around the ice extremely well, connecting with good strong passes that lead his linemates effectively…not scared to shoot the puck when presented the opportunity…has a quick release but lacks velocity on his shot at this stage…keeps moving in the offensive zone, and that creates a lot of space and time for he and his teammates, and in doing so he generates a lot of offensive opportunities…he excels in all zones, providing his team with a tireless work ethic, strong defensive play, and some offensive flair…has the low-end potential of a strong third liner with speed who can help a penalty kill, or a high-end upside as a top-six scorer who can contribute on special teams.” -Future Considerations

Again as with most kids his age, he does need to bulk up some. The key for his success is can he find a way to play among bigger and faster players at the next level?

Slide him next to Nico and the Devils are finally finding their way to bring more offense to this organization.

@More Hockey Stats

you and the Columbus Blue Jackets are now on the clock

3 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Senshyn certainly seems to be another speedy scorer for the Bruins.  DeBrusk was the guy I was hoping the Wild would take that year, but the Bruins nabbed him instead.  

Archived