Official HF.net 2018 Mock NHL Draft Order

pilldoc

5 minutes ago, More Hockey Stats said:

With their 21st pick of the 2018 NHL Draft the San Jose Sharks are proud to select Martin Kaut of the Czech Republic. 

I really like this kid. I thought long and hard about him at #19.   He crossed my mind at #14, actually.  He's really risen in the second half this year and looks pretty good from what limited video I've watched.  Great pick.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I really like this kid. I thought long and hard about him at #19.   He crossed my mind at #14, actually.  He's really risen in the second half this year and looks pretty good from what limited video I've watched.  Great pick.

Thanks!

Actually I haven't prepared for the mock draft, so both my choices are pretty much improvised, with a quick consideration only. I got back from Florida today at 1AM and have also been working (from home) and babysitting two kids on summer vacation at the same time.

With the 22nd pick in the 2018 mock NHL Entry Draft, the Ottawa Senators go back to the US NTD Program and select defenseman, Bode Wilde. The Senators have found the complimentary linemate to Thomas Chabot and with Erik Karlsson and Mike Hoffman as potential chips to use, the Senators can really stock up when they decide to move on from both. @hf101 you're next on the clock with the Anaheim Ducks

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Martin Kaut is going to be a solid NHL'er IMO.  He may not be outstanding, but he's a great all-around player who plays hard each and every shift.  

The Anaheim Ducks are proud to select with their first round pick the highly skilled  Swedish sniper Jonatan Berggren of the Skelleftea J20.  Berggren is one of the younger players of the 2018 draft who doesn't turn 18 until July 16th.  Berggren brings a lot of speed and skill to his game which is exactly what the Ducks need on the top lines. He’s a very tenacious and smooth skater that can get to top speed in just a few strides.  He uses his speed to capitalize on turnovers in transition, beat defenders to loose pucks and generate offense for his team.   Berggren lit up the score sheet scoring five goals and 10 points in seven games for Sweden during the U18 World Championships and scored 18 goals and 57 points in 38 games in the U20 junior league for Skelleftea.

There are a few things that are dropping Berggren into the back half of round one or early part of round two such as his size at 5' 11" and a 185 lb frame but this phenom is only 17 and will have a few more years in Sweden until he is ready to make the jump to North America where he can improve his defensive game.

"An absolute wrecking ball of a player who has been posting tremendous numbers in the J20 circuit. Logs miles of ice as he forechecks with impunity, distributes the puck and knows how to finish as well. "   Cam Robinson - DobberProspects

@CreaseAndAssist  you are now on the clock with the Wild's pick

@hf101 Dang was totally going to/hoping to pick him with the rags at #26 to pair with Lias Andersson. Didn't really think others would have him on the radar just yet and I thought I might possibly be stretching at 26 for him. He has Top 10 Talent but he's very young and hasn't fully developed his defensive game and is also on the smaller side which was dropping him to late 1st to early 2nd round.

13 minutes ago, bbgarnett said:

@hf101 Dang was totally going to/hoping to pick him with the rags at #26 to pair with Lias Andersson. Didn't really think others would have him on the radar just yet and I thought I might possibly be stretching at 26 for him. He has Top 10 Talent but he's very young and hasn't fully developed his defensive game and is also on the smaller side which was dropping him to late 1st to early 2nd round.

While wearing my orange sunglasses I no way want to see this kid with with the Rangers.  😎

A couple of observations so far.

There have definitely been some gambles, especially on Edmonton and Los Angeles's part. But, with big risk comes big reward.

Second, as a Flyers fan, I love the selections of Kravtsov and Smith. Kravtsov is that potential big body player with skill and speed and looks like he's about ready to burst through in the KHL. As for Smith, there's nothing wrong with adding yet another work horse to the defense pipeline in Philadelphia. At the same time, someone will be getting moved eventually to make room for him. The question is who. Very interesting with regards to the pipeline in Philadelphia.

As for the selections I made with regards to the Senators, I'm a big opponent of taking late birth year kids near the top of the draft. Zadina and Tkachuk might be rated ahead of Wahlstrom right now, but there's also 7 to 9 months difference in age between the three. With Wahlstrom being the youngest of the three, I took the age factor. As mentioned, they might rate ahead now, but in three to four years down the road, Wahlstom might just end up being the best of the three.

As for Wilde, I read scouting comparisons between him and Erik Karlsson and the only difference between the scouting reports back then and now is that Wilde already has the size factor going for him. Like Karlsson, Wilde can skate, plays on the edge offensively, probably has a better shot than Karlsson did at the same age, and has the same questions about his defensive game like Karlsson did. It's clear that defense can be taught and it's something that Wilde will learn. His upside was simply too much to pass on, especially at 22.

Looking forward to June 22nd to see what happens that night.

24 minutes ago, hf101 said:

The Anaheim Ducks are proud to select with their first round pick the highly skilled  Swedish sniper Jonatan Berggren of the Skelleftea J20.

That's simply an astounding pick at #23.  I think he's going to be one helluva player.  He has some filling out to do (obviously because of his age), but that's simply a terrific pick.  I actually wouldn't be completely shocked to see him go upper teens on June 22nd.   Well played.

And thanks for keeping him away from the Rangers!

2 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

As for the selections I made with regards to the Senators, I'm a big proponent of taking late birth year kids near the top of the draft. Zadina and Tkachuk might be rated ahead of Wahlstrom right now, but there's also 7 to 9 months difference in age between the three. With Wahlstrom being the youngest of the three, I took the age factor. As mentioned, they might rate ahead now, but in three to four years down the road, Wahlstom might just end up being the best of the three

I actually agree with you on Wahstrom and your reasons for it I think are really good.   I thought that was a terrific pick.

4 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

As for Wilde, I read scouting comparisons between him and Erik Karlsson and the only difference between the scouting reports back then and now is that Wilde already has the size factor going for him. Like Karlsson, Wilde can skate, plays on the edge offensively, probably has a better shot than Karlsson did at the same age, and has the same questions about his defensive game like Karlsson did. It's clear that defense can be taught and it's something that Wilde will learn. His upside was simply too much to pass on, especially at 22.

I like Wilde where you took him.   I've seen some mocks--particularly earlier ones--that had him going at #13 or #14.   I'm really suspicious of him that early, but I think low-to-mid 20s are appropriate.   Ty Smith was a no-brainer to me since he was still on the board.  Honestly, if the Flyers walk away from the draft with Kravtsov and Smith, I'll be giddy.  I'm honestly not expecting Smith at #19, so I would have gone Rasmus Sandin.   Wilde was on the dock and might have been preferable shooting right, but I've read as many "meh" comments as superlative, so I'm hesitant on him.

8 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Second, as a Flyers fan, I love the selections of Kravtsov and Smith. Kravtsov is that potential big body player with skill and speed and looks like he's about ready to burst through in the KHL. As for Smith, there's nothing wrong with adding yet another work horse to the defense pipeline in Philadelphia. At the same time, someone will be getting moved eventually to make room for him. The question is who. Very interesting with regards to the pipeline in Philadelphia.

Thanks for that!   It's fun picking for your own team, but there's some pressure to it especially with many Flyers fans in on this.   I'm becoming convinced the Flyers lose one of Sanheim, Morin, or Myers to Seattle so I figure keep the shelves stocked.   If not, they'll clearly have some decisions to make.   But we've seen what Nashville could pull off with too many defensemen, so I'm good there too.

Really nice picks for Ottawa!  

7 minutes ago, Davey J said:

@CreaseAndAssist This might be the easiest prediction in the history of mock drafts...  Does there happen to be a big, physical defenseman with untapped potential available with this pick???

I think he should go all Fletcher and pick Alec Regula with this pick.   He's probably slated for the 3rd round, but at 6'3" and an RHD, he's perfect!

@Davey J @ruxpin  not sure if Fenton has dealt with head cases before but maybe he takes the all or nothing chance on Ryan Merkley? Now maybe since the Rags have 3 1st rd picks they'd be willing to risk one on him but if I am the rags or any team I am not wasting a 1st rd pick on him but if he's still around in the 2nd then I'd consider it.

1 minute ago, bbgarnett said:

@Davey J @ruxpin  not sure if Fenton has dealt with head cases before but maybe he takes the all or nothing chance  Ryan Merkley? Now maybe since the Rags have 3 1st rd picks they'd be willing to risk one on him but if I am the rags or any team I am not wasting a 1st rd pick on him but if he's still around in the 2nd then I'd consider it.

The Rangers may actually be the team to do it with 3 picks (and assuming they don't package to move up).  You're right, that's the instance where maybe someone takes the risk.

Personally, I think the dude is an idiot.   He really should go to the Cavaliers where he might not be the dumbest kid in the room.

13 minutes ago, bbgarnett said:

@ruxpin glad someone else feels the same way about Lebron that I do.

Lol, I meant JR Smith, but no, I'm not a fan of LeBron. Begrudgingly, I can't argue his talent, but I don't like him. 

14 minutes ago, bbgarnett said:

@ruxpin glad someone else feels the same way about Lebron that I do.

By the way, I'm wouldn't call myself a Sixers fan. That would be insulting to people who actually are. I'm more of an occasional Sixers bandwagoner.  That said, I kind of hope Lebron goes to Philly. I'd hold my nose, but it would be worth it. 

I'm thinking about creating several Twitter burner accounts to lobby for it. 

@ruxpin LOL OK just assumed Lebron as it's the Cavs and seems like he runs the show over there and always seems to force the owners to do what he wants whether it be trading for/signing a player or who the head coach should be.

With the 24th Overall selection in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft, the Minnesota Wild is proud to select, from the U.S. National Development team K'Andre Miller!  

K'Andre Miller is a defenseman combines size with tremendous athleticism.  He had an absolutely fantastic NHL combine, finishing in the top 10 in a number of categories.  The University of Wisconsin commit, plays an aggressive game and doesn't mind throwing his weight around and using his long reach to funnel opposing forwards to the perimeter.  He is a decent passer and has reasonable offensive skills, but he's probably going to be more of a shutdown defender because of his combination of reach and terrific skating ability.  He only recently converted to defense after being a forward throughout most of his bantam and HS years, but coaches give him a lot of credit for being able to learn quickly and his improvement has been steady and impressive.  

From ISS: "Miller has all of the physical tools needed to intrigue NHL scouts.  He's big, he's strong and physical with a long reach.. He projects as a stay-at-home shutdown defender."

From ISS: "Big strong body.  Good mobility, good power output in his skating.  Uses edgework to keep gap, forces puck carrier to make decision at the red line.  Good in corners, can outmuscle most, would like to see him assert himself more physically."  

Hockey News Compares him to:  Seth Jones

Future Considerations: #20

Hockey News: #26

ISS: #32

HockeyProspect.com: #20

Central Scouting (NA Skaters): #23

McKeen's: #14

You can read more about Miller's game here.  

OK, with the 25th choice, which in real life TO probably will trade in some way, TO selects Ryan Merkley

THN says he's an offensive wizard with excellent mobility. He's a top 5 talent with baggage but he's being coached by George Burnett in Guelph, the same coach that helped turn another problem child player into a person who now thrives in the NHL, P.K. Subban.

There's always going to be a but with Merkley, his ability to skate and make plays, well, there's not many players like him. Like Anthony DeAngelo he has a bad attitude and little emotional control.

His stats in the "O" have been exceptional since his rookie year but defensively he needs to improve, a lot, he defends like he's bored. 

TO pays Babs buckets of bucks to coach and I'd think that Merkley would be the type of player that would force Babs to earn his money. 

Good to great teams have drafted players that others may have feared drafting like Kuznetsov for Washington, the Russian factor, so if TO wants to bridge the gap between good to great they need to take risks. A top 5 talent taken at 25 is a risk that could payoff big time in the future. 

Merkley is 5'11", the new 6'1" and 170 lbs, the new 190 lbs.

Anyhow, next

Oh I forgot to mention he's a right hand d-man who in his rookie season posted the best offensive stats on his team, Guelph.

well, there goes any chance of the Rangers potentially wasting one of there three draft picks on Merkley (maybe that's a blessing in disguise) anyways with the 26th pick in the 2018 NHL Draft the New York Rangers are Proud to select Ryan Mcleod Mississauga Steelheads.

NHL Central Scouting: 16th (among NA Skaters)

Future Considerations: 23rd

McKeen’s Hockey: 23rd

ISS Hockey: 26th

Ryan McLeod may be one of the most interesting players in the entire 2018 NHL Draft class. 

From a purely statistical perspective, McLeod has it all – he’s 6 foot 2 and 203 pounds and has improved every season he’s been in the OHL. In his rookie season, he scored seven goals and 20 points in 62 games. He more than doubled that point production in his sophomore season with nine goals and 42 points in 68 games before adding an impressive five goals and 20 points in 20 playoff games.

It wasn’t until his draft year that McLeod really showed what he was all about, however, scoring 26 goals and 70 points in 68 games. He’s an intriguing prospect due to his combination of size, speed and high hockey IQ. 

While McLeod has a decent finishing touch, his playmaking is what sets him apart from other players in this draft class. He has a very good shot and knows how to use it but when push comes to shove, McLeod’s ability to find an open player and feed them the puck is something he excels at. Part of that playmaking ability is what makes him such a good center prospect. The intensity issue, however, makes it so that he often shifted from center to the wing and back again depending on the game and depending on the situation.

While NHL teams love versatility, they’d also love for McLeod to develop into a consistent center at the NHL level. Fortunately, he’s proven that he can be a very good center when given the opportunity. He’s also proven he can be a fixture on the power play and on the penalty kill.

The strengths in his game are his skating and shooting abilities, but needs to improve his compete level at times.” – Peter Harling, Dobber Prospects

“Speed runs in the family. Isn’t as hard-nosed as older brother, Michael but plays a similar game. Missed the 2017 cut-off by a week so his developmental arc is a little clearer. A pro-style guy.” – Cam Robinson, Dobber Prospects

“Big-bodied power forward with speed and playmaking abilities who was one of the top OHL scorers among first-year draft eligibles. McLeod’s versatility is one of several things that stand out about him — he can play center or wing, shoot the puck with authority and is a mainstay on both the power play and penalty kill.” – Steve Kournianos, Sporting New

“One of the most fascinating players in this draft class. At this point, the parts are greater than the sum. If and when it all comes together, you have a player who should impact the game at the next level.” – Sam Cosentino, Sportsnet

@jammer2 and the Blackhawks are OTC

Archived