Official HF.net 2018 Mock NHL Draft Order

pilldoc

24 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Everything I have read from McKenzie and Friedman says the Habs are being coy, they are considering moving down as the center they want, Jesperi Kotkaniemi should be available somewhere around 9 or 10. The problem is finding a suitable trade with a team that wants to move ahead of teams like Ottawa, Detroit and Vancouver and still manage to land the guy who they want. It is possible they chose Kotkaniemi with number three and surprise everyone, the same way that CBJ did with Dubois a few years back, a move that is now clearly paying off nicely. It takes a GM who is comfortable in his own skin and with his job to make such a move, something that I am not certain applies with Bergevin. Swing and miss like that you are guaranteed to be the GM of a Quebec Juniors team for the next decade, if you are lucky especially if Zadina and Tkachuk turn into stars......

If Bergevin doesn't pick Tkachuk or Zadina, he might as well just start packing a box as soon as he names the pick.  

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/8/2018 at 10:37 AM, pilldoc said:

Here is the official order for the  HF.net 2018 Mock NHL Draft.  Please be aware that some members will be picking twice (2)  or three (3) times.  Also if a team such as the Flyers, has multiple picks for the first round, then the member will pick for the same team later in the round.  (Ex. @ruxpin will pick twice for the Flyers at the 14th and 19th pick)

Here are the rules:

1. The draft window will be about 6-8 hours. (of course, there will be flexibility but try to stay on schedule possible).  We do allow and understand tolerances for work schedules and family events. 
  2. Try to make the pick as realistic as possible. (Don't purposely let a Dahlin or Svechnikov drop to #24 or #25. There of course, will be some surprise drops)
  3. There are NO TRADES. (we all know trades can happen, but it is too complicated for all parties involved)
  4. @hf101 and @pilldoc will try to have a running draft order on the HF..net Draft page so everyone knows who has been picked.  A sidebar table will also be visible on the Activity Page.  I will also list it below.
  5. After you have made your selection, please use the @(mention members name) function to notify the next person on the draft order that they are now the clock.
  6. Have fun with it.  Remember there is no right or wrong answer here.  If you disagree with someone's pick then discuss it and make a case why you think the pick is not in the best interest of that team.
  7. Please use this thread exclusively for your picks and discussion.
  8. When making your selection, please include a GM or scout-like quote about that player and stating why you selected him. Videos are also nice to add to your write-up.

Draft # NHL Team  HF.net Member
1 Buffalo Sabres @Hockey Junkie
2 Carolina Hurricanes @AJgoal
3 Montreal Canadiens @CreaseAndAssist
4 Ottawa Senators @BobbyClarkeFan16
5 Arizona Coyotes @hf101
6 Detroit Red Wings @yave1964
7 Vancouver Canucks @pilldoc
8 Chicago Blackhawks @jammer2
9 New York Rangers @bbgarnett
10 Edmonton Oilers @FD19372
11 New York Islanders @hobie
12 New York Islanders (from Calgary) - 1 @hobie
13 Dallas Stars @Davey J
14 Philadelphia Flyers (from St. Louis) - 2 @ruxpin
15 Florida Panthers @yave1964
16 Colorado Avalanche @ruxpin
17 New Jersey Devils @pilldoc
18 Columbus Blue Jackets @More Hockey Stats
19 Philadelphia Flyers @ruxpin
20 Los Angeles Kings @thenewestlights
21 San Jose Sharks @More Hockey Stats
22 Ottawa Senators (from Pittsburgh) - 3 @BobbyClarkeFan16
23 Anaheim Ducks @hf101
24 Minnesota Wild @CreaseAndAssist
25 Toronto Maple Leafs @hobie
26 New York Rangers (from Boston) - 4 @bbgarnett
27 Chicago Blackhawks (from Nashville) - 5 @jammer2
28 New York Rangers (from Tampa Bay) - 6 @bbgarnett
29 St. Louis Blues (from Winnipeg) - 7 @AJgoal
30 Detroit Red Wings (from Vegas) - 8 @yave1964
31 Washington Capitals @FD19372

Notes
  1. The Calgary Flames' first-round pick will go to the New York Islanders as the result of a trade on June 24, 2017 that sent Travis Hamonic and a conditional fourth-round pick in 2019 to Calgary in exchange for a second-round pick in 2018, a conditional second-round pick in 2019 and this pick.[8]
  2. The St. Louis Blues' first-round pick will go to the Philadelphia Flyers as the result of a trade on June 23, 2017 that sent Brayden Schenn to St. Louis in exchange for Jori Lehtera, Washington's first-round pick in 2017 and this pick (being conditional at the time of the trade).[9] The condition – Philadelphia will receive a first-round pick in 2018 if the Blues' first-round pick is outside of the top ten selections[10] – was converted on April 28, 2018.
  3. The Pittsburgh Penguins' first-round pick will go to the Ottawa Senators as the result of a trade on February 23, 2018 that sent Vincent Dunn and a third-round pick in 2018 to Pittsburgh in exchange for Ian Cole, Filip Gustavsson and this pick.[11]
  4. The Boston Bruins' first-round pick will go to the New York Rangers as the result of a trade on February 25, 2018 that sent Rick Nash to Boston in exchange for Ryan Spooner, Matt Beleskey, Ryan Lindgren, a seventh-round pick in 2019 and this pick.[12]
  5. The Nashville Predators' first-round pick will go to the Chicago Blackhawks as the result of a trade on February 26, 2018 that sent Ryan Hartman and a fifth-round pick in 2018 to Nashville in exchange for Victor Ejdsell, a fourth-round pick in 2018 and this pick.[13]
  6. The Tampa Bay Lightning's first-round pick will go to the New York Rangers as the result of a trade on February 26, 2018 that sent Ryan McDonagh and J.T. Miller to Tampa Bay in exchange for Vladislav Namestnikov, Libor Hajek, Brett Howden, a conditional first-round pick in 2019 and this pick.[14]
  7. The Winnipeg Jets' first-round pick will go to the St. Louis Blues as the result of a trade on February 26, 2018 that sent Paul Stastny to Winnipeg in exchange for Erik Foley, a conditional fourth-round pick in 2020 and this pick (being conditional at the time of the trade).[15] The condition – St. Louis will receive a first-round pick in 2018 if the Jets' first-round pick in 2018 is outside of the top three selections[15] – was converted when the Jets qualified for the 2018 Stanley Cup playoffs on March 25, 2018.[16]
  8. The Vegas Golden Knights' first-round pick will go to the Detroit Red Wings as the result of a trade on February 26, 2018 that sent Tomas Tatar to Vegas in exchange for the Islanders' second-round pick in 2019, a third-round pick in 2021 and this pick.[17]

Thank You for your participation.  We had a blast last year and I expect nothing different this year.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

~doc

Just to add, the quotes I put in there, are the actual quotes from ISS scouts about Tkachuk.  I didn't make anything up that way, other than the Drouin teaser.  I have plenty more real quotes from scouts on Tkachuk if people want to see them.  

4 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I don't see the Islanders looking to swing a deal for the 3rd pick.  Chicago yes.  Vancouver...maybe.  

Yeah, I think either one of Chicago or Vancouver is a better option unless the Islanders are dangling both picks (even then...).  Plus, if Kotkaniemi really is the Habs' target, I think that's dangerously low. Chicago makes sense to me even more than Vancouver, but either would likely work.

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I think either one of Chicago or Vancouver is a better option unless the Islanders are dangling both picks (even then...).  Plus, if Kotkaniemi really is the Habs' target, I think that's dangerously low. Chicago makes sense to me even more than Vancouver, but either would likely work.

(shrugs)  If he's a Patrik Laine type of player I could certainly be fine with that but he's not, ISS compared him to Boone Jenner and that isn't what I'd want to hear if I was a Habs fan.  If its not Zadina then it better be Noah Dobson.  Dobson IMO really dominated at the Memorial Cup and a big, rangy, two-way right hand shot defenseman.    

6 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Just to add, the quotes I put in there, are the actual quotes from ISS scouts about Tkachuk.  I didn't make anything up that way, other than the Drouin teaser.  I have plenty more real quotes from scouts on Tkachuk if people want to see them.  

I hope I haven't made you feel like you have to defend your pick.  For whatever it's worth, I think it's the right one.   And thanks for the quotes (seriously); I think that's a pretty cool thing that makes this a fun exercise. 

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I hope I haven't made you feel like you have to defend your pick.  For whatever it's worth, I think it's the right one.   And thanks for the quotes (seriously); I think that's a pretty cool thing that makes this a fun exercise. 

I stand behind the selection.  As I will with the Wild when they pick at #24.  When the team really does pick though, I may not stand by their choice at all.  I'm not a homer.  I call it as I see it.  Honestly, if Montreal picked that Finnish kid instead of Tkachuk or Zadina.  Wow...I think that'd get ugly.   (sigh)  

The scouts seem to see him more as a winger, but he can play center.  I think the fact Matt turned out so well for the Flames has a little bit to do with the strong praise of Brady; since he's kind of a slightly bigger version of Matt.     

With the 5th pick of the Draft the the Arizona Coyotes are proud to select Filip Zadina from the Halifax Mooseheads.

Filip Zadina is a dynamic offensive forward that plays a complete game. A deft and agile skater, he exhibits explosive mobility both up and down the ice. In all three zones, he proactively looks to create problems for the opposition. His awareness is indicative of his high level of hockey sense, and he knows how to make plays and scoring chances materialize. Has a goal scorer's toolbox, complete with the individual puck skills that one comes to expect from today's elite offensive players. The accurate release on his shot is noteworthy and is a defining aspect of his offensive capabilities. Defensively sound, he disrupts lanes and pressures the opposition to make hasty decisions; he is tenacious in pursuit of puck control and transitions up-ice naturally. All-in-all, Zadina can be categorized as both a two-way forward with a well-rounded game and a dominant offensive force. (Curtis Joe, EP 2018)

I will edit later to include more info.

@yave1964 you are on the clock for Detroit's 6th pick.

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

3 picks in one day.  That's like a record or something.  😎

and I'm sure @yave1964 will throw in his 2 cents later today and I will throw my pick shortly after that later today.....wow who knew a draft could run so smoothly! :smileyandcomputer:

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

and I'm sure @yave1964 will throw in his 2 cents later today and I will throw my pick shortly after that later today.....wow who knew a draft could run so smoothly! :smileyandcomputer:

I'm really looking forward to Yave's, in particular.   Just because I'd like to see who a Wings' fan thinks they should and who they will pick (if those are different).

Thank God Zadina is off the board, if he had been there I would have had to choose him, I have him rated an eyelash behind Svechnikov and if he had fallen I woulda snagged him up as best available. He doesn't fit team need but I rank him a lot higher than some others do apparently.

With the sixth pick in the draft, the Red Wings are glad to add right handed shot

defenseman  Evan Bouchard. To me it comes down to size, I have nothing against Michigan boy Quinn Hughes other than he is five foot nine and 168 pounds, we need size and IMHO behind Dahlin I rank Bouchard as the best defenseman in the draft for his overall game. Size, speed, vision, a right handed shot which the Wings have been searching for since rafalski and even before he came over. Bouchard dominated at both ends of the ice, was the first defenseman to finish in the top ten in scoring in the OHL in seven seasons. He has a hard shot that is low andaccurate, and again, other than Dahlin is the most NHL ready of all the defensive prospects. He will team with Dennis Cholowski to give the Wings skill and hope on the back end.

@pilldoc you and the Vancouver Canucks are on the clock.

2 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

With the sixth pick in the draft, the Red Wings are glad to add right-handed shot defenseman  Evan Bouchard

Yeah, this is absolutely my pick if I'm Detroit.  I've seen tons of mocks picking Quinn Hughes (I have to think because of the Michigan connection), but I like Bouchard better.   Do you think that's the way Holland goes, or do you think he goes Michigan?

3 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

If Bergevin doesn't pick Tkachuk or Zadina, he might as well just start packing a box as soon as he names the pick.  

Yeah the Habs are a mess, just built weird. Lots of pieces but no real cohesion, I could see trading down because Tkachuk or Zadina are both real deal prospects but don't fit need and IMHO they don't significantly address a glaring need. If Montreal can manage to trade down and get a top six center I would have to do it if I were Les Habitants......

Just now, ruxpin said:

Yeah, this is absolutely my pick if I'm Detroit.  I've seen tons of mocks picking Quinn Hughes (I have to think because of the Michigan connection), but I like Bouchard better.   Do you think that's the way Holland goes, or do you think he goes Michigan?

I truly think they are going Hughes which again, he isn't a bad player, if everything works out he is Krug or Tyson Barrie which any team would be delighted to have, but I am skeptical of small players on the back end, a lot has to go right. I love Bouchard, I love picturing him growing into his six two or six three frame, while Hughes could be Barrie Bouchard could be Shea Weber or awful close. Who would you rather have, a young Barrie/Krug type or a young Shea Weber?

As far as the Wings and Holland, sadly I would not be surprised if they took Hughes as the local Michigan boy. A couple of reasons, 1)  it worked out well a few years ago with Larkin and 2) we missed out on Werenski who now stars with the CBJ. The local press is pushing for Hughes. Jim Nill for all of his faults as a GM was always a wonderful judge of young talent when he was in Detroit and if he were in place I have no doubt Bouchard would be the pick, I think it is a coin toss at best with Holland which way it goes.

25 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Thank God Zadina is off the board, if he had been there I would have had to choose him, I have him rated an eyelash behind Svechnikov and if he had fallen I woulda snagged him up as best available. He doesn't fit team need but I rank him a lot higher than some others do apparently.

With the sixth pick in the draft, the Red Wings are glad to add right handed shot

defenseman  Evan Bouchard. To me it comes down to size, I have nothing against Michigan boy Quinn Hughes other than he is five foot nine and 168 pounds, we need size and IMHO behind Dahlin I rank Bouchard as the best defenseman in the draft for his overall game. Size, speed, vision, a right handed shot which the Wings have been searching for since rafalski and even before he came over. Bouchard dominated at both ends of the ice, was the first defenseman to finish in the top ten in scoring in the OHL in seven seasons. He has a hard shot that is low andaccurate, and again, other than Dahlin is the most NHL ready of all the defensive prospects. He will team with Dennis Cholowski to give the Wings skill and hope on the back end.

@pilldoc you and the Vancouver Canucks are on the clock.

Smart pick...just what Detroit needs.  

Canucks GM Jim Benning shuffles across stage to the podium and hands a notecard to Gary Bettman.

With a chorus of boos echoing from all areas of the arena around him, Bettman begins his announcement……

“With the 7th pick overall in the 2018 draft, the Vancouver Canucks select from the Acadie-Bathurst Titans…….Noah Dobson, Defenseman.”

(There is a collective sigh of relief among Canuck fans as there had been recent rumors of Benning possibly trading the rights of the #7 pick)

It is no secret that the Canucks need more defensive prospects.  Bouchard would have looked great in Vancouver, however, the Canucks are lucky that the next couple of prospects are all defenseman.  Hughes, Dobson, Boqvist, and Bouchard are all neck and neck and so close to each other.  Either way the Nucks get a position of need which, IMO, happens to BPA.

In Dobson you have one of the best two-way defensemen available in this draft. Want offense? You got it. He posted 17-52-69 in 67 games from the blue line and added 3-10-13 in 20 playoff games. So what do we have in Dobson? We have someone who plays the game the right way and is solid at just about everything he does. He can play both special teams units including power-play quarterback and he is Right Handed shot!

“A talented two-way defenceman that can play in all situations and stay productive. Uses his edges well and is, for the most part, a very smooth skater…..Offensively, he utilizes his keen sense of awareness to be in the right spot at the right time, every time. Soft hands and a deadly shot accentuate his ability to get creative, on occasion. Rock solid defensively, his strong positioning severely limits time and space for the opposition. All-in-all, a well-rounded, reliable, and consistent defenceman that can log a lot of ice time and provide his team with a stable presence on the back end.” –Elite Prospects

Rangy, mobile defender with size and strong puck skills who sticks to his opponents like velcro. Dobson is a rare specimen for a teenage defender in that he is a big-bodied puck mover with speed who plays with poise in all three zones. He is one of the QMJHL’s top scoring blueliners thanks to his ability to run a power play, dictate the tempo of a game regardless of the situation and seize opportunities that nobody else was able to identify. Dobson is a strong, agile skater with a deceptively quick first step and the ability to make sharp directional changes in open ice. Getting the puck behind pesky opponents in the neutral zone can be done with either his wheels or with hard, crisp passes, but Dobson isn’t the kind of defenseman who lets his forwards take it from there — he loves to jump into openings and create or finish from areas close to the hashmarks.” –Steve Kournianos/The Draft Analyst

His one knock ..yup you guessed….. he needs to get bigger.  But then again that can be said a lot about all 18 year old in the draft.  At 6’3” he is one of the tallest defenders in the draft.  He will fill out.

Benning had a very hard time deciding between Dobson and Boqvist, but in the end Dobson won out.  This is not a knock on Boqvist, but today, GM’s want size and skill.  Boqvist despite his high ceiling, is just lacking in size and that was the deciding factor.

@jammer2

you and the Chicago Blackhawks are now on the clock

8 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Canucks GM Jim Benning shuffles across stage to the podium and hands a notecard to Gary Bettman.

With a chorus of boos echoing from all areas of the arena around him, Bettman begins his announcement……

“With the 7th pick overall in the 2018 draft, the Vancouver Canucks select from the Acadie-Bathurst Titans…….Noah Dobson, Defenseman.”

(There is a collective sigh of relief among Canuck fans as there had been recent rumors of Benning possibly trading the rights of the #7 pick)

It is no secret that the Canucks need more defensive prospects.  Bouchard would have looked great in Vancouver, however, the Canucks are lucky that the next couple of prospects are all defenseman.  Hughes, Dobson, Boqvist, and Bouchard are all neck and neck and so close to each other.  Either way the Nucks get a position of need which, IMO, happens to BPA.

In Dobson you have one of the best two-way defensemen available in this draft. Want offense? You got it. He posted 17-52-69 in 67 games from the blue line and added 3-10-13 in 20 playoff games. So what do we have in Dobson? We have someone who plays the game the right way and is solid at just about everything he does. He can play both special teams units including power-play quarterback and he is Right Handed shot!

“A talented two-way defenceman that can play in all situations and stay productive. Uses his edges well and is, for the most part, a very smooth skater…..Offensively, he utilizes his keen sense of awareness to be in the right spot at the right time, every time. Soft hands and a deadly shot accentuate his ability to get creative, on occasion. Rock solid defensively, his strong positioning severely limits time and space for the opposition. All-in-all, a well-rounded, reliable, and consistent defenceman that can log a lot of ice time and provide his team with a stable presence on the back end.” –Elite Prospects

Rangy, mobile defender with size and strong puck skills who sticks to his opponents like velcro. Dobson is a rare specimen for a teenage defender in that he is a big-bodied puck mover with speed who plays with poise in all three zones. He is one of the QMJHL’s top scoring blueliners thanks to his ability to run a power play, dictate the tempo of a game regardless of the situation and seize opportunities that nobody else was able to identify. Dobson is a strong, agile skater with a deceptively quick first step and the ability to make sharp directional changes in open ice. Getting the puck behind pesky opponents in the neutral zone can be done with either his wheels or with hard, crisp passes, but Dobson isn’t the kind of defenseman who lets his forwards take it from there — he loves to jump into openings and create or finish from areas close to the hashmarks.” –Steve Kournianos/The Draft Analyst

His one knock ..yup you guessed….. he needs to get bigger.  But then again that can be said a lot about all 18 year old in the draft.  At 6’3” he is one of the tallest defenders in the draft.  He will fill out.

Benning had a very hard time deciding between Dobson and Boqvist, but in the end Dobson won out.  This is not a knock on Boqvist, but today, GM’s want size and skill.  Boqvist despite his high ceiling, is just lacking in size and that was the deciding factor.

@jammer2

you and the Chicago Blackhawks are now on the clock

I like this pick.   A lot.

10 minutes ago, bbgarnett said:

Dang was thinking that Pierre Marc Bouch... err scratch that wrong decade Evan I don't do spinoramas Bouchard would fall to the rags at #9

Me too, actually.  That's because I originally thought Bodqvist would be one of the defensemen taken by now, but he's fallen some and I guess there's some concern with his concussion history.   And Bouch going instead of Hughes adds to that.  I can't argue against either of the Dmen taken so far; I think they're the right picks.

@ruxpin agreed I think they're all very similar in nature (Hughes Bouchard Bovqist and Dobson) and that they could all leave it up to chance by saying they're all so close in terms of what they bring that we can't decide so let's throw their names in a hat a pick one and we'll be satisfied with whomever it is is. Now though I am no expert in prospects but have been doing a little research because of this Draft and so was a little surprised to see Dobson go at #7  and not at all knocking the pick, but from everytihing I was reading it seemed like Dobson would fall between #8-#15. But like @pilldocsaid it seems he made the choice purely based on him being the bigger Dman of the group as they were all so close in the other categories so it's a pick I can totally get on board with. 

@bbgarnett

The funny thing about me saying:

22 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think they're the right picks.

is that I completely agree with this:

6 minutes ago, bbgarnett said:

I think they're all very similar in nature (Hughes Bouchard Bovqist and Dobson) and that they could all leave it up to chance by saying they're all so close in terms of what they bring that we can't decide so let's throw their names in a hat a pick one and we'll be satisfied with whomever it is is

The truth is that I probably would have said...

22 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think they're the right picks.

...had they each gone a different direction.  LOL   I agree, though, with the reasoning of each pick.   I think both were quite well-defended.  And I"m really not a fan of Hughes to Detroit.  It's not the end of the world for them if that's the way Holland goes, but I think the others are better for what Detroit seems to need.   They really just need to put the "D" back in "Etroit" (as a wise man once said).    

I also saw Dobson a little lower in several mock drafts and have also seen the Canucks go forward in several, but I really do like the Dobson pick for them.

@pilldoc

I debated Dobson before choosing Bouchard, agreed both do everything well I chose Bouchard because I think his upside is slightly higher and he is more NHL ready than Boquist or Dobson. For the most part though the two of them are as close as the next two pringles out of a can.

Just now, yave1964 said:

the two of them are as close as the next two pringles out of a can.

So still crunchy and somewhat easy to get to but not quite as salty or tasty as they used to be?

If anyone is shooting up the draft boards like a bolt out of hell...it's Dobson. If he was there at 8, I would not even have looked at who was remaining...and he could go top 5 still.

Archived